Home
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/97473-heart-of-a-champion-the-story-of-rocky-bleier
Great story. Those Pittsburgh teams had an incredible cast of players. Loved watching them play.
I read the book, IIRC it’s “Fighting Back”. Since then, Rocky was always one of the Steelers I most loved and respected. I was a Steelers fan for a long time.
7mm
Thanks for posting that.
I knew he had been wounded in Vietnam, but I thought he had lost part of a foot, could be remembering it wrong.
tough little back, good hands too. he made quite a few guys "miss" tackles.
The NFL back in the good days. Rocky would have done well with anything he set out to.
Great story. I loved those Pittsburgh teams in the seventies. Lynn Swan, Terry at QB. The Immaculate Reception. What a great team.
As a long suffering Atlanta fan, I appreciate a football team done right. Like New England and Tom Brady.
A hard nosed player!
Originally Posted by kid0917
I knew he had been wounded in Vietnam, but I thought he had lost part of a foot, could be remembering it wrong.
tough little back, good hands too. he made quite a few guys "miss" tackles.

That's my memory too.
I saw the movie or more of a documentary on him when I was in HS.
Originally Posted by stevelyn
I saw the movie or more of a documentary on him when I was in HS.

Same here, no idea when it actually was though. Early 80's I'd guess.
He lost part of his right foot to a grenade after being shot in the leg if I recall correctly. Steeler's owner Art Rooney kept a spot open for him and kept him on the team even when he didn't play much that first year back. His backing of Franco Harris was instrumental in them getting 4 Superbowls. A true American hero, even if he is a Golden Domer.
Rocky is clearly one of the most beloved and respected of all the Steeler players. I’d say this is true from the perspective of the fans and the players.
© 24hourcampfire