Home
Posted By: SenderoMan E-mail from ATF - 03/27/20
Just got this e-mail a half hour ago and thought I would share.
Interesting!

Good Afternoon,

As a result of the increased workload and modified staffing schedules due to the COVID-19 protocols, beginning at 12:01 am ET, Saturday March 27, 2020 until 8 am ET, Monday March 30, 2020 the NICS Section will be temporarily disabling the Transfer Process. This means, when calling in a NICS check, you will be given a status immediately, to include delays with a Brady Transfer Date, and not transferred to an FBI Examiner for further review.

Good Afternoon,

Correction to the previous email. beginning at 12:01 am ET, Saturday March 28, 2020 until 8 am ET, Monday March 30, 2020 the NICS Section will be temporarily disabling the Transfer Process.

Thanks,

The NICS Business Unit
Posted By: Lennie Re: E-mail from ATF - 03/27/20
The way I read this, gun sales are in limbo. Am I reading this correctly?
Posted By: MontanaMarine Re: E-mail from ATF - 03/27/20
Then the requirement for a background check should be suspended until manpower is back up.

That would be in keeping with the Constitution.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: E-mail from ATF - 03/27/20
Originally Posted by Lennie

No.
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: E-mail from ATF - 03/27/20
Could somebody just tell us what the hell that means?
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: E-mail from ATF - 03/27/20
when calling in a NICS check, you will be given a status immediately,
To me, that says you'll get an immediate answer without the real check being completed. But what if the answer's 'no'?
It might also be a chance for real criminals to buy guns without being checked.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: E-mail from ATF - 03/27/20
More fear-mongering.
Posted By: watch4bear Re: E-mail from ATF - 03/27/20

Plus 2 trillion tax payer money to spend. win win
Posted By: hookeye Re: E-mail from ATF - 03/27/20
It says you get a yes, no or delay.

The " further review" stuff aint happenin.
They dont have time/ resources to deal w checks that would be a drag on the system
I suspect further review stuff now just goes into delay.
No dealers waiting for answers on the PC or phone.
Posted By: duck911 Re: E-mail from ATF - 03/27/20
Originally Posted by Reloder28
More fear-mongering.

No, it's not, actually.

It is a reasonable temporary change to the process so they can continue to approve sales/transfers without delay due to their azzes being handed to them.

I love how every time someone posts something virus related half of this forum immediately dismisses it as "fear mongering" or "the sky is falling". If you haven't noticed, there is a minor little health crisis in our country which is having g a little impact on some aspects of our lives.
Posted By: bamagun01 Re: E-mail from ATF - 03/27/20
At my local gun shop some people are able to purchase and leave within minutes. Others are having to wait a few days because of the Brady transfer date. I haven’t purchased anything in the last week so I haven’t been affected. I’d sure be ill if I purchased a gun and was told you may be able to pick it up in a week or so.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: E-mail from ATF - 03/27/20
I'm glad I don't need any guns. I have a couple handguns, several rifles, and a couple shotguns. I'd only have the question of "oh, what to shoot him with, decisions, decisions".
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: E-mail from ATF - 03/27/20

As I recall, the law originally specified that if they let down their end (failed to carry out the background check) the sale would go through uninterrupted. I am assuming that this aspect of the law was changed at some point to where we lose our right to buy guns if they should ever fail to hold up their end.
Posted By: UPhiker Re: E-mail from ATF - 03/27/20
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

As I recall, the law originally specified that if they let down their end (failed to carry out the background check) the sale would go through uninterrupted. I am assuming that this aspect of the law was changed at some point to where we lose our right to buy guns if they should ever fail to hold up their end.

This isn't a big deal. It only applies to people using the phone to call in a check. Here's how it works--you call in and give them the buyer's info. They type it in and usually give a "Proceed". Sometimes, if they're not sure, they give you to a second person. That person will sometimes give a "Proceed", sometimes a "Delayed" and sometimes a "Deny". This just gets rid of the second person due to overwhelming workload. You either get an answer from the first person or the buyer waits for his Brady date. Every time there is a scramble for guns, you get an inordinate number of Delays and Denied, due to ineligible people thinking that because of the demand, that they'll be able to slip through the cracks.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: E-mail from ATF - 03/27/20
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

It's been that way for a long time.

If the NICS system catches a name similar to a "No", they refer the question to the FBI to come up with more detailed information for a decision.

If the NICS system has not gotten back to the seller within a certain period of time.. (48 hours or something similar), then the purchase can proceed.

It's been working okay like this, unless your name is Bob Smith born in 1960... eek
Posted By: ingwe Re: E-mail from ATF - 03/27/20
Its amazing how the NICS system always "goes down" in times of perceived emergency. It went down the weekend of the " Million Mom March" too...coincidence!

I think not.
Posted By: hunter4623 Re: E-mail from ATF - 03/27/20
I can’t even buy a damn gun. Trying to pick up something flat shooting for a DIY Montana spring bear hunt in a few weeks.

Important Message:
On Saturday March 21, 2020, Governor Phil Murphy announced he is putting New Jersey in lockdown to combat the spread of coronavirus. Per Executive Order 107, he is ordering the residents of New Jersey to stay home, directing all non-essential retail businesses closed to the public. At this time, the order includes New Jersey Firearms State Licensed Dealers. The New Jersey State Police NICS Unit is directing the vendor of the NICS Online Application (NICUSA) to turn off the NICS Online Services for submitting NICS transactions by eliminating the “Request Form” button, effective 9:00pm EST, Saturday, March 21, 2020. You will still have the ability to view the message board and the status of previously submitted transactions. This “Request Form” feature will remain off until further order by Governor Murphy.
Posted By: 700LH Re: E-mail from ATF - 03/27/20
Pardon my ignorance, what's a Brady date?
Posted By: TomT Re: E-mail from ATF - 03/27/20
A Brady Date, is a date set after a background check is run, and the Govts. response is “Delay”, as opposed to “proceed” or “deny” (self explanatory). It’s usually a date 5-10 days AFTER the check, and in MOST States, the firearm can be released to the prospective owner, even if the government hasn’t come back with a definitive answer. In NYistan, the Brady date doesn’t apply (ie: is not legally allowed), so a potential buyer ends up in a loop or “goes open”, and can’t get their gun. IE: LIEberal “logic”.

Yes, I’ve heard that the Commie Governors of NJistan and Kalifornucopia have halted NICS/gun sales throughout this “crisis”, It’s what Constitution Hating Commies in power do!
Posted By: luv2safari Re: E-mail from ATF - 03/27/20
Originally Posted by 700LH

THIS.....You Big Dummy...

Posted By: Blackheart Re: E-mail from ATF - 03/27/20
Ahhh, I can still remember the good old days before threre was such a thing as a NICS check. Of course now even the "pro gun" folks are scared to be without one because somebody might get one that shouldn't..... Oh well, the "anti's" have won.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: E-mail from ATF - 03/27/20
Good thing ccw puts you in the speedy checkout lane

(Or least in MS)
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: E-mail from ATF - 03/27/20

Need to borrow one in MT?

Originally Posted by hunter4623
I can’t even buy a damn gun. Trying to pick up something flat shooting for a DIY Montana spring bear hunt in a few weeks.

Important Message:
On Saturday March 21, 2020, Governor Phil Murphy announced he is putting New Jersey in lockdown to combat the spread of coronavirus. Per Executive Order 107, he is ordering the residents of New Jersey to stay home, directing all non-essential retail businesses closed to the public. At this time, the order includes New Jersey Firearms State Licensed Dealers. The New Jersey State Police NICS Unit is directing the vendor of the NICS Online Application (NICUSA) to turn off the NICS Online Services for submitting NICS transactions by eliminating the “Request Form” button, effective 9:00pm EST, Saturday, March 21, 2020. You will still have the ability to view the message board and the status of previously submitted transactions. This “Request Form” feature will remain off until further order by Governor Murphy.
I’m hoping things open up before I leave. Tentatively, I plan on rolling out 4-15 to 5-1. I’m heading out to look at properties and figured I’d do some hunting while I’m there. I’ll be out there for a few months so plenty of hiking, fishing, hunting and general sightseeing. Getting to know different areas. If the country is still shut down, it’s going to limit some of the things I wanted to check out. So the answer is ...I hope not but maybe lol
Posted By: local_dirt Re: E-mail from ATF - 03/27/20
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Then the requirement for a background check should be suspended until manpower is back up.

Excellent point, MM.
I’m wondering if any Pro-2A groups will be filing lawsuits against states that deemed Gun stores non essential? Interesting legal argument that a state can shut down (for an indeterminate time) our 2A constitutional right.
Posted By: JamesJr Re: E-mail from ATF - 03/27/20
All the more reason to have a concealed carry permit and not have to undergo a background check. Here in Kentucky I've even bought a gun at Walmart, and they honored the CC permit, which surprised me.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: E-mail from ATF - 03/27/20
Px gun counter on Ft Campbell shut down for sales today.
Ammo fine
Guns no.

Wonder if this was what caused it.
Originally Posted by JamesJr
All the more reason to have a concealed carry permit and not have to undergo a background check. Here in Kentucky I've even bought a gun at Walmart, and they honored the CC permit, which surprised me.

You live in Free America. I can’t wait to escape New Jermany and join a free state
Posted By: JamesJr Re: E-mail from ATF - 03/27/20

You live in Free America. I can’t wait to escape New Jermany and join a free state

Hope it continues, and our liberal governor doesn't try and muck with the SA.
Posted By: watch4bear Re: E-mail from ATF - 03/27/20
All the more reason to have a concealed carry permit and not have to undergo a background check.

But didn't you have to ask big brother for your concealed carry permit? grin
Posted By: Blackheart Re: E-mail from ATF - 03/27/20

In " free America" you wouldn't need a permit to carry or any kind of check to buy.
Maybe I should term it “Freer America”
Trust me, damn near everywhere is freer than NJ. 75% of the reason I’m relocating is to get away from this over bearing state government. I just want to be left alone and not have my life micro managed. You probably wouldn’t believe some of the laws on the books here. A pellet gun with sound dampener is treated the same as a full auto rifle under the law. It’s insane
Posted By: saddlering Re: E-mail from ATF - 03/27/20
As of few weeks ago a CPL does not give you a fast lane here in Michigan , now everyone has to get the check done! Yes it SUCKS!
Posted By: dassa Re: E-mail from ATF - 03/28/20
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
when calling in a NICS check, you will be given a status immediately,
To me, that says you'll get an immediate answer without the real check being completed. But what if the answer's 'no'?

Yeah, because stealing them is getting way too expensive.
Posted By: 700LH Re: E-mail from ATF - 03/28/20
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by 700LH

THIS.....You Big Dummy...

Ok I gotta admit "Marcia" was the first thing thru my mind.
Posted By: czech1022 Re: E-mail from ATF - 03/28/20
The state of Nevada has declared that gun stores are "essential". Hooray! A moment of sanity!

What is killing us is the background check people have cut their hours in half and NEVER answer the phone! We are forced to FAX any applications, then wait until they contact us with the decision. One of our customers has been waiting a week!
Posted By: SCRUBS Re: E-mail from ATF - 03/28/20
Shouldn`t need a "background check"any way....
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: E-mail from ATF - 03/28/20
Were'nt we told that if the system failed to respond the buyer would be handed their firearm after 3 days?
Posted By: Blackheart Re: E-mail from ATF - 03/28/20
Originally Posted by SCRUBS
Shouldn`t need a "background check"any way....
Most folks, including most gun owners, are afraid of real freedom as it applies to the 2nd amendment. Sure, they themselves would like to have the freedom to buy guns without a background check. It's just that they're afraid of the "other guy" having that freedom too. After all, that "other guy" might be a felon or other prohibited person. Never mind that any criminal type who really wants a firearm will get one anyway, whether legal or not.
Posted By: MickeyD Re: E-mail from ATF - 03/28/20
Originally Posted by local_dirt
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

Excellent point, MM.

The very idea of needing permission from the king (NICS) flies in the face of the Constitution...you know, the shall not be infringed part.
If background checks really worked felons would not have any guns. Just something to chip away at the tree of liberty.
Posted By: SenderoMan Re: E-mail from ATF - 03/28/20
Good afternoon,

Please be aware that the NICS Contracted Call Center (NCCC) will still be fully operations and accepting background checks this weekend. During the timeframe of 12:01 am ET, Saturday March 28, 2020 until 8 am ET, Monday March 30, 2020 , instead of getting a response of, “please hold for further review” and being transferred to an NICS Examiner, the NCCC representative will provide a delay status and the Brady Transfer Date. Again this is a result of the increased workload and modified staffing schedules due to the COVID-19 protocols and is only temporary.

If you are utilizing E-Check your process will operate as normal.

Thank you and we apologize for any confusion,

NICS Business Relations Team

This e-mail makes it a little more clear.

The Brady transfer date on a delay status is three days.
© 24hourcampfire