Home
Posted By: Jim_Conrad 23 and Jim - 03/28/20
In the years since I sent my kit in, I have been hoping that someday I would find some things out.

Well, I had been locked out for over a year from my account.

Turns out I am related to most of the Eskimo is Alaska.

Well, not really, but quite a few it seems. Nearly all my blood kin is in Alaska.......and they are Eskimo AF.

Its kind of interesting. Maybe I will make some connections someday.

Unpopular topic.....but anyone ever make some interesting connections on one of the DNA sites?

I know my sister found a whole pile of family. Sisters and brothers....even her birth mother.
Posted By: 19352012 Re: 23 and Jim - 03/28/20
We found out that we are whiter than a dead fish. Thought we had some Indian in us.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: 23 and Jim - 03/28/20
I wouldn't even consider giving my DNA to .gov, b/c it goes straight into a gov't database.
Posted By: hanco Re: 23 and Jim - 03/28/20
Originally Posted by 19352012
We found out that we are whiter than a dead fish. Thought we had some Indian in us.

Me too, but no Indian at all.
Posted By: High_Noon Re: 23 and Jim - 03/28/20

You likely have more Indian blood in you than the illustrious Fauxcahontas.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: 23 and Jim - 03/28/20

Haha! No kidding?
Posted By: kingston Re: 23 and Jim - 03/28/20
Originally Posted by High_Noon

You likely have more Indian blood in you than the illustrious Fauxcahontas.

There's no dividing buy zero.
Jim,

Do they get into where the Eskimo's came from or not that detailed?
Posted By: 10gaugemag Re: 23 and Jim - 03/28/20
My wife gets some Scandinavian in her quite often.

Other than that she is mainly German.
Posted By: Remsen Re: 23 and Jim - 03/28/20
I was pretty sure I knew what I am, but the last test I did confirmed that the tests are actually pretty accurate.

I knew that when my dad came to the US, his family and their cousins all came over on the same boat (per Ellis Island records). We haven't had much contact with the distant cousins, but we knew they existed, especially since around 1985 when one of my dad's cousins was murdered on a cruise ship in the Mediterranean. When I got my results back and agreed to allow other DNA relatives to contact me, one of the first emails I got was from the nephew of the murdered cousin.

The DNA test showed we had overwhelmingly similar DNA markers and, of course, we knew the names were right.
Been an interesting week.

I think I was able to find foster mother too.

Believe she is still alive and living in Helena.
Posted By: websterparish47 Re: 23 and Jim - 03/28/20
Locked out of your account?

I've been curious about family but there's somethings I don't want to know.
Originally Posted by kingston
Jim,

Do they get into where the Eskimo's came from or not that detailed?

No, nothing like that. Just sort of confirmed that I had some Eskimo blood.

I was able to look some of these relatives up on the Facebook and the closest relative was born in Kotzebue.

A second cousin apparently. As close to a blood relative as I have ever had.
Originally Posted by websterparish47

Forgot the password and account.

Genius wife spent 3 mins on a reset and got me back in.
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: 23 and Jim - 03/28/20
All these years was told I was Syrian ( Christian) and German. Sister took the DNA test few years back it came back Italian and Scandinavian. Sorta makes since I reckon, the Roman Empire ruled the Mid East for Centuries. Either that or mom was hobbling the Milk Man...
Posted By: MadMooner Re: 23 and Jim - 03/28/20
Just found out I likely have some Polish Jew in me.

Not surprising, the Joos fugg everybody! Lol.
Posted By: slumlord Re: 23 and Jim - 03/28/20
Does your mama have two eyebrows ?

😃
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: 23 and Jim - 03/28/20
Chris Everett is my sister. Hoprfully she won't hold it against me, I didn't know at the time.
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Mein Gott!

Is he still there???

I would ask him to stop.
Posted By: stomatador Re: 23 and Jim - 03/28/20
As far as DNA goes I come from both shores of the English channel with some Scotch and Irish thrown in for good measure. It did point to western North Carolina which is where my Dad's family originally settled. Those hillbillies are some of the finest people I've ever met.

Had a lady contact me saying she wanted information about her dad. I asked her "who's your dad?". It turns out my cousin, the golden child, sewed a few wild oats in his younger days. Then another lady contacted me about the same cousin. The idea that my relatives on my Dad's side weren't saints didn't surprise me but I thought it was funny that it was a goody two shoes.

Then a guy contacted me and he was on my Mom's side (the sanctimonious, holier than thou's). He turned out to be a first cousin of my Mom's when her uncle had a fling with a young woman. He was a really nice guy and got to spend a little time with Mom hearing stories about his Dad before she passed last summer.
Posted By: Tansun Re: 23 and Jim - 03/28/20
Was told I was French and English. Took the dna test, said I was Scotch, Irish, and Welsh, no French.
Posted By: 79S Re: 23 and Jim - 03/28/20
Well you want to be part of the nana native corporation that owns the land that the red dog mine operates on..

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Dog_mine
Originally Posted by slumlord
Does your mama have two eyebrows ?

😃

lol
Posted By: viking Re: 23 and Jim - 03/28/20
What’s interesting about them DNA tests is how they differ between siblings. I guess it depends on genes passed on in the down stroke.
Posted By: shaman Re: 23 and Jim - 03/28/20
I've had contact from a couple of illegitimate cousins.

One, we're sure, was the love child of one of my uncles. He owned a bar over on the east side, and must have had a fling with one of the barmaids.

The other one is a bit more sketchy. We think she is a result of a liaison with a cousin of mine that did background checks for the FBI during WWII. He was down that way interviewing family and friends of prospective workers for Oak Ridge. He later went on to be OSS and then CIA.

I'm still waiting for a half-sibling to show up from the Korean War. Dad's had the job of delivering nurses out to the M.A.S.H. units. He and a buddy drove an ambulance outfitted with a bar in the back, where my dad mixed G.I. High-Balls-- OJ Concentrate and 100 Proof medicinal alcohol. He said he did his patriotic duty and delivered every one of them drunk and pregnant. In the show, he was the character "Sparky," the guy Radar talked to back at Division H.Q.
You have a gift, lol. Keep em coming.
Posted By: poboy Re: 23 and Jim - 03/28/20
Pass the blubber, Jim.
Posted By: kid0917 Re: 23 and Jim - 03/28/20
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

lol, I see what you done there....
Posted By: kid0917 Re: 23 and Jim - 03/28/20
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by websterparish47

Forgot the password and account.
Genius wife spent 3 mins on a reset and got me back in.

Well, we KNOW you married well!
smile
Posted By: IZH27 Re: 23 and Jim - 03/28/20
It seems that most families have a Pocahontas legend running through them. I blew that legend out of the water for my family. Some of my dads first cousins still deny it.

What turns out to be a half first cousin of my dads contacted me last year. As soon as I saw her picture there was no doubt that she was related. We arranged a warm welcome and reunion for her and several cousins. There she learned of her two half brothers and has been received by them as a sister. She had never knowingly met a family member before she met me and had only know. The name of her father. At 72 she found family and filled in a missing part of her life. Overall it was a pretty awesome series of events.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: 23 and Jim - 03/28/20
Until my teenage years I lived in England around my mom side of the family. They were one generation removed from Ireland, plus my mom‘s dad was half English.They were Brit and Union Jack all the way, my mom and my brothers and sisters are still sort of the same way.

OTOH I always insisted that I was Irish, much to the chagrin of my mom and her parents. England back then was sort of class-ridden from top to bottom, and the Catholic Irish ranked below the working class in English on the informal social assumption scale.

My dad was with us of course, and his parents stepped off the boat from Ireland but my dad didn’t care much about that sort of stuff, he had been raised around the woods in rural New York state where he had hunted and trapped, mostly he thought he was American. As a foreigner to the Brits, he fell largely outside the informal social ranking scale regardless of his parentage.

Ancestry.com eventually proved me right cool 80% SW Ireland Yo, specific to the Cork Headlands.

Of course, turns out later they could narrow it down to such a specific area in Ireland because of the massive amount of inbreeding that occurred among the crowded and mostly non-mobile peasant population during the 50 years before the famine crazy

At least I turned out handsome.

Posted By: Rooster7 Re: 23 and Jim - 03/28/20
Interesting.

How old were you when you got adopted, Jim? It sounds like your sister was adopted also?
I am glad the Boomers are waking up, is boring around here until they rise😂
Heeeey I'm not a Boomer, Boomer! lol
They are a hoot.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: 23 and Jim - 03/28/20
I wouldn't even consider giving my DNA to .gov, b/c it goes straight into a gov't database.

Yep. Wish I wouldnt have sent mine in years ago. Found out I dont digest sulphur foods well and it causes inflammation.

OTOH, said I have not a speck of DNA from Afreka.
Posted By: Ghostinthemachine Re: 23 and Jim - 03/28/20
I'm Norwegian.

Of course in a few years Norway will be mostly Arab scum so...
Posted By: dodgefan Re: 23 and Jim - 03/28/20
Having been in the Army my DNA is already in some government database. Of course being the gov. it's probably been lost or misplaced.

I would like to know more about my Dads' side, about the only thing I know is I am related to someone who made it through on the Donner party somehow.
Posted By: BobMt Re: 23 and Jim - 03/28/20
Originally Posted by dodgefan
Having been in the Army my DNA is already in some government database. Of course being the gov. it's probably been lost or misplaced.

I would like to know more about my Dads' side, about the only thing I know is I am related to someone who made it through on the Donner party somehow.

what do you mean..."somehow".....bob
Posted By: Ohio7x57 Re: 23 and Jim - 03/28/20
I've never done the test, but my daughter did. She has German and Scandanavian from my wife's Grandfather, and Scotland, Ireland, and Wales from my side. Funny thing is, my 88 year old Dad has told me and my brothers all our lives that his Grandmother was full blooded Cherokee Indian. My daughter has not one drop of Native American in her DNA, which means that neither do I. I didn't bother to tell him because A. He wouldn't believe it. B. I don't want to hurt his feelings. Just like I didn't tell him that Randolph Scott was gay with Cary Grant when I watched him in a western movie with Dad a few weeks ago. He'd be crushed. Guess I'm as white as a dead fish too.

Ron
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: 23 and Jim - 03/28/20
These over-the-counter test are not the most accurate in the world...... good for entertainment, but not for accuracy. I cut and pasted this from a long article.

The first of the genetic tests from 23andme was meant to show if Nicole, Erica, and Jaclyn were, in fact, identical triplets. And guess what? The Dahm triplets are identical! This was not news to anyone, especially not Erica, Nicole, and Jaclyn. It is pretty obvious that these sisters have more in common than most do. These triplets are so alike that Erica can open up Nicole’s safe because their fingerprints are so similar that they can trick technology!

doctors made sure to request a second test that would show more than if the triplets were identical. The second test was meant to provide information on where the triplet’s ancestors came from and what countries they originated from. Again, Erica, Nicole, and Jaclyn expected everything to be the same. After all, the Dahm triplets were identical. Doesn’t that mean that their DNA would be the same and therefore, their genetic heritage would also be the same?

The results of the genetic breakdown were a bit strange, considering the Dahm triplets are identical. While the test did show that 99 percent of their DNA showed European decent, a more detailed break up of their DNA showed very different results, which proved to be confusing to the triplets and the world. For instance, the DNA test claimed that Nicole, the oldest Dahm sister, was 18 percent Irish and British while Erica was only 16 percent Irish and British.

As the doctors on the show looked further into the results of the 23andme genetic test, there seemed to be even bigger discrepancies. When they looked at the Dahm triplet’s French and German ancestry, something did not add up. While the oldest Dahm sister Nicole seemed to have an 11 percent German and French heritage, her sister’s numbers came up totally different. Jaclyn’s results showed she was 18 percent German and French, while Erica’s said she was 22.3 percent German and French.

The results were shocking even more than confusing! The last part of the DNA results took a deeper look into the Dahm triplet’s Scandinavian ancestry. Again, the results did not match up at all! For some reason, Erica and Jaclyn, the youngest sisters, both came back with the exact same results. It seemed that Erica and Jaclyn’s Scandinavian ancestry was exactly 7.4 percent. Surprisingly, Nicole’s results said that she was made up of 11.4 percent Scandinavian ancestry. Something was not right!

The physician told the Dahm triplets and the audience that these types of genetic tests should be used for “entertainment” instead of as the real evidence of DNA heritage.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: 23 and Jim - 03/28/20
Most of my family came from the next county over. According to my Mamaw.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: 23 and Jim - 03/28/20

Enlighten me as to where that comes from.

I may not like your answer! eek
Posted By: wabigoon Re: 23 and Jim - 03/28/20
I'm afraid to look.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: 23 and Jim - 03/28/20
American myself.......
Not concerned about where people came from in the 17 and 1800,s in my lineage.

Does it really matter at all???

JMO.....

Originally Posted by BobMt

Think about what can be done with The DOD DNA Repository gathered from all service members since the early 90,s.

25 50 100 150 yrs from now.

Their is a reason a treaty was signed about 15 or so years ago IIRC concerning human cloning.

anyone think the chinese or other azzhole nations might be abiding by this treaty are fooling themselves.......

JMO.....
Posted By: MIKEWERNER Re: 23 and Jim - 03/28/20
Very true.....a cold case murderer was recently caught when his brother sent his in.

Cold case

Posted By: 7mmStwer Re: 23 and Jim - 03/28/20
Well, I am about 40% Polish (with a little Russian), 30% English and 28% Scottish/Irish, with 1% Indian and 1% Swedish. No real surprises for me. I did both tests, 23 & Me and Ancestry.com, with the results from both being about the same.

2 Surprises - A new female cousin who has a different last name who emailed me about her Dad( one of my Dad's brothers but no idea which one) and a half Black second cousin also on my Dad's side of the family. Where he came into play is beyond me - I had 6 Uncles on my Dad's side so "roll the dice" but I have eliminated one of them so...... Don't know his age but one of my "Elite, Proper" female cousins got knocked up at her Ivy league school and quietly "went on vacation". I am guessing her as the link but who knows.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: 23 and Jim - 03/28/20
I'll be keeping my DNA home. There's one woodpile I see no point in kicking over. Dated reference, ask an old guy about woodpiles. shocked
Posted By: Pugs Re: 23 and Jim - 03/28/20
It really just confirmed what my mother and grandmother had confirmed via genealogy "the hard way" back before the internet with a whole lot of records and my brother and begin drug for summers through little cemeteries in the south and musty courthouse basements. We're both really good with microfisch. grin

Both sides of the family has been in the US since the 1660s and came from SW Scotland (Islay) and some from Northern Ireland. When my wife and I were in London a couple years ago we did visit All Hallows Church where one set had married in 1662 (McFadden side) though so they had clearly traveled some prior to coming to the US. It was neat to see the marriage recorded in their documents (All the pages were all neatly duplicated on-line).

Great to be proud of where we came from. Better to be Americans.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: 23 and Jim - 03/28/20
Turns out I am related to most of the Eskimo is Alaska.

Well, not really, but quite a few it seems. Nearly all my blood kin is in Alaska.......and they are Eskimo AF.
That would explain your love for chocolate-covered ice cream bars.
Originally Posted by renegade50

Think about what can be done with The DOD DNA Repository gathered from all service members since the early 90,s.

Their is a reason a treaty was signed about 15 or so years ago IIRC concerning human cloning.

anyone think the chinese or other azzhole nations might be abiding by this treaty are fooling themselves.......

JMO.....

Could there be a Sky-Net version of renegade50? A Terminator that smokes pall malls and demolishes deer stands on public land?

haha
Posted By: Ghostinthemachine Re: 23 and Jim - 03/28/20
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck

Enlighten me as to where that comes from.

I may not like your answer! eek

Bring back the labor camps.
Originally Posted by slumlord

JMO.....

Could there be a Sky-Net version of renegade50? A Terminator that smokes pall malls and demolishes deer stands on public land?

haha

Bet he has really good eyesight.
Those stand beams are narrow as fugg!!!
Ya have ta compensate at close range by holding low with an AK.
[email protected]

Maybe even hearing too???
That sense is fried from gun fire.....
Posted By: Rickshaw Re: 23 and Jim - 03/28/20
My dad always said, "I wish I'd been born rich, instead of so good looking". Considering he's on his 5th marriage, it might have helped in more than one regard.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: 23 and Jim - 03/28/20
At my age, what would it change?
You could be the 19 chromosome cyborg that just wants to sit around and listen to Bananarama
Posted By: Old Ornery Re: 23 and Jim - 03/28/20
With Jim I think it’s more like 46 and Me. He is so full of surprises.
Posted By: mjbgalt Re: 23 and Jim - 03/28/20
I have verifiable Sioux blood and only a couple generations back and own artifacts which were passed down in the family to back it up. Ancestry said eastern european. Did a little digging and it seems the tribes gave them the finger when they asked for samples of DNA to use in their matching so they have nothing to compare to. So they fill in the gap apparently with whatever else you are.
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Interesting.

How old were you when you got adopted, Jim? It sounds like your sister was adopted also?

I was less than 6 months old. In foster care.

My sister is from a whole different family. No relation.
Posted By: 3040Krag Re: 23 and Jim - 03/28/20
I am leery of those DNA test. I would be scared to find out that as W.C. Fields would say there had been "an Ethiopian in the fuel supply".
Posted By: BobMt Re: 23 and Jim - 03/28/20
American myself.......
Not concerned about where people came from in the 17 and 1800,s in my lineage.

Does it really matter at all???

JMO.....

same here.....i also dont give a crap about where my parents came from....it does me absolutely no good ......bob
Posted By: hanco Re: 23 and Jim - 03/28/20
Originally Posted by kid0917
Originally Posted by 10gaugemag

lol, I see what you done there....

I liked that too.
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Interesting.

I was less than 6 months old. In foster care.

My sister is from a whole different family. No relation.

Have you tried finding your birth Mom? Would you want to?
Yeah, I tried. You have to hire a private investigator.

He was the Mr. Magoo of the PI world.
Yeah, I tried. You have to hire a private investigator.

He was the Mr. Magoo of the PI world.

Well, at least he didn't fall in a manhole.

I wonder if you were born in an igloo?
© 24hourcampfire