Home
Im so distraught. My mom shot herself with my dad's taurus judge yesterday 3-27-20 in the jaw. We don't know if it was intentional or accidental. Her blood pressure is normal but she has a brain bleed. Today has been a crappy day. Prayers needed.

Update 8pm central time 3-27-20
Mom's blood pressure is normal she is stable. She is able to follow commands and squeeze the medical staffs hands and wiggle her toes so no paralysis. She's not awake though and can't talk. She has plastic surgeon coming to look at her in the morning at 8am eastern. She has a minor brain bleed. They're giving her meds for the brain bleed and are monitoring her around the clock.

Update 5am central 3-28-20
Mom's awake and alert and blood pressure is normal. Her nurse dialed my dad and my dad talked to get on the phone although mom wasn't able to speak back. However the nurse said she was giving a thumbs up to the things my dad was saying. She is scheduled for surgery at 7am eastern. Dad said he'd call me back as soon as he heard something. I don't know if the surgery was for the brain bleed or for the facial reconstruction?
So saddened to learn that, of course you have my prayers. May Our Lord heal, and comfort all.
Sorry to hear this. Wow!
Sorry to hear, I hope mom recovers soon and strong.

Prayers sent.
That’s terrible, very sorry. Prayers sent.
WOW just WOW ! ! !

man I really don't have words to express my shock, sadness, & sympathy!

May God bless her with FULL recovery and Y'all during the crisis.
Absolutely awful. Prayer sent from south Jersey, both for your mother and the rest of your family. There is always hope.
Prayers that all of you recover from this tragedy whether it was intentional or accidental. God Bless.
Prayers sent from Michigan! Hope your mom is okay!!!
Yikes, scary
Very sorry to hear this. I hope all turns out well.
Very sorry to hear this. Prayers sent for rapid and complete recovery.
Prayer up for your mom and all who are affected by this.
Praying for your mom, her surgery, healing and recovery, as well as prayers for your family and that everything will be alright.
prayers, wish i still had my mom.
I am sorry to hear this..
Prayers sent.
Prayer sent for healing, comforting, and strength.
Thoughts and prayers to you and your family.
Sorry to hear this. Anything that the fire can do to help?
Prayers sent
I can't imagine. I wish you and your family the best.
I'm sure there's people here that would send a donation or even just a card or flowers...

Could you post up which hospital and room number, or name of your mom to direct those to?

I'll be the first in line, if you provide that.

Thanks.
Thoughts and prayers from Iowa.
So sorry to hear this news, prayers from Colorado.
Prayers sent for all.
We will keep you in our thoughts. MTG
Prayers send to your mom and those affected!
I’m very sorry to hear about that. I hope she recovers. I pray she wasn’t trying to take her own life!
So very hard to hear of this! We’ve experienced similar, very hard on all involved! Prayers for your Mother, and for all Family and Friends! memtb
Sorry to hear about your mother. I am praying for her and your family.
That's terrible to hear. My prayers to you, her and the family.
Sorry to hear this and Best Wishes to all!
So sorry for your loss. Prayers for you and the family/friends.
That is pretty terrible. It’s been standing belief in law enforcement that it’s rare women shoot themselves, opting for other less dramatic methods of suicide. Probably an accident. Hope she comes through OK, hang in.
Prayers sent for your mom and your family.
Sorry to hear this. Prayers sent for all.
Prayers sent! must be an AD incident, praying for healing by God's hand
Originally Posted by kid0917
Prayers sent! must be an AD incident, praying for healing by God's hand

Hoping to hear AD.

P
Prayers from the Oregon Coast...😎
Praying from the Left Coast.

So sorry to hear this sad news. Wishing her the best, along with your family.
Prayers sent.
Prayers for your family
Originally Posted by Whelenman
Prayers sent from Michigan! Hope your mom is okay!!!

More thoughts & prayers from SW Mitten...
Very tough situation for all involved. Hope you have sunnier days.
Hoping to hear AD for all involved. Blessings she's alive.

Godspeed.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
prayers, wish i still had my mom.

Yep. Me too. Prayers sent!
Oh my goodness. Prayers for your mother.
Terrible!
Awful thing to have happened. Prayers sent.
Horrific to hear. Lord I lift up this woman for you to nurture & heal. Bless this family and ease the family’s anguish.
Amen
Prayers sent.
Prayers sent for your Mom and Family.
Almost certainly an accident.
Prayers sent.
Sorry to hear this. Prayers have been sent.
🙏
Dear God, please have mercy on our member's mother. I would think a surgery like this would be incredibly complicated.
What's bad is no one saw it coming. She was out pulling weeds which is one of her favorite chores. Dad was around back doing something. He said he heard a gunshot and went inside and found her. He said he thought she was dead.

I did find out that for some odd reason her gastrointerologist put her on xanax and lexapro combined and that mom was drinking yesterday for some reason. I think she didnt realize what she was doing and in her stupor was messing with dads gun and shot herself. But she never drank so that was probably her signal for help.

Mom has never liked guns and been deathly afraid of em.

At 10:22 am mom got out of surgery and the plastic surgeon reconstructed her jaw as best he could but he said there was extensive damage and that she'd require on down the road more jaw surgeries and probably oral surgery on her teeth. She'll also need speech therapy but she's alive and doing well. No longer has a brain bleed either and no sign of brain damage according to newest ct scan.

What has pissed me off about this whole situation is dad knew she was drinking and didn't tell anyone and didn't try to stop her even though she was on medication you didn't drink on. I asked him why he didn't try and stop her. He says because she was a big girl and an adult and she could do what she wanted. Part of me blames my dad for this and part of me doesn't.
Unfortunate. Some meds can cause frightening side affects when mixed with alcohol. Glad she’s alive. Hoping for the best in the future.

😎
Originally Posted by tngunenthusiast42
What's bad is no one saw it coming. She was out pulling weeds which is one of her favorite chores. Dad was around back doing something. He said he heard a gunshot and went inside and found her. He said he thought she was dead.

I did find out that for some odd reason her gastrointerologist put her on xanax and lexapro combined and that mom was drinking yesterday for some reason. I think she didnt realize what she was doing and in her stupor was messing with dads gun and shot herself. But she never drank so that was probably her signal for help.

At 10:22 am mom got out of surgery and the plastic surgeon reconstructed her jaw as best he could but he said there was extensive damage and that she'd require on down the road more jaw surgeries and probably oral surgery on her teeth. She'll also need speech therapy but she's alive and doing well. No longer has a brain bleed either and no sign of brain damage according to newest ct scan.

What has pissed me off about this whole situation is dad knew she was drinking and didn't tell anyone and didn't try to stop her even though she was on medication you didn't drink on. I asked him why he didn't try and stop her. He says because she was a big girl and an adult and she could do what she wanted. Part of me blames my dad for this and part of me doesn't.

Glad to hear this.
Condolences and prayers for your family and your mother....
Wow, very sorry for the situation. I wish your mom and all of you the best on a long road of recovery ahead.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
I'm sure there's people here that would send a donation or even just a card or flowers...

Could you post up which hospital and room number, or name of your mom to direct those to?

Thanks.

I don't want to post it on this thread but if yall will PM me then I'll send the info.
Prayers for your mom and family. Lots of those drugs really whack peoples senses.
Originally Posted by Barkoff
That is pretty terrible. It’s been standing belief in law enforcement that it’s rare women shoot themselves, opting for other less dramatic methods of suicide. Probably an accident. Hope she comes through OK, hang in.

I work in law enforcement and that's been the case in my experience.

Im contacting an attorney monday because I believe that only a psychiatrist or family practice dr can write lexapro and xanax together. I don't think it's lawful for a gastro dr to do it.
Prayers on the way.
What a terrible thing. Prayers sent from Alberta for strength, healing and comfort for your mom and entire family.

Sad ta hear what happened.
Hopefully she will recover well.
Has ta be some back burner dynamics going on from what you describe between them happening and not happening.
I guess just concerned about my mom.
Originally Posted by Barkoff

I work in law enforcement and that's been the case in my experience.

Im contacting an attorney monday because I believe that only a psychiatrist or family practice dr can write lexapro and xanax together. I don't think it's lawful for a gastro dr to do it.

Horrible to hear. So sorry for your mom and all involved.
Save your money on the attorney (at least for this specific issue) however. Perfectly lawful.
We are still praying for your mother.

Let her know, the prayer warriors on the Campfire are praying.

God bless.
How terrible and I’m sorry you’re having to go through this. My mom tried several times when I was a teenager many years ago with pills. She finally had to be institutionalized for a year before she was mentally fit to come home. Really [bleep] time in my and my sisters lives. Don’t be too hard on your dad - I’m sure he’s doing that all by himself. I know mine did.

God bless! You and your family will be in my prayers!
Most of my family says a rosary every night during Lent. We'll say tomorrow's for your mother and family.

I'm sorry for what you're experiencing and I hope for the best for your family. -tnscouter
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Thanks.

I don't want to post it on this thread but if yall will PM me then I'll send the info.

Maybe consider ‘Go Fund Me’.

That can be very productive for the truly needy.

Best wishes for your family.
God bless your mother and your family.
Wow... Prayers coming sir..
Had she just started the Lexapro within the past couple of weeks? I know for a fact that it will totally fuqk your mind up when you're first getting on it.
Prayers sent.
Paul B.
Sorry to hear about your mom. Hope she comes through a-ok with a full recovery....
Originally Posted by Triggernosis
Had she just started the Lexapro within the past couple of weeks? I know for a fact that it will totally fuqk your mind up when you're first getting on it.

No,

I think she'd been on it for a while. It was supposedly helping her ulcerative colitis.
Wow. Sorry man. Prayers sent to your family.
Sounds like the lord is giving her a chance to get well. I will pray for all of your family and friends. I lost my Dad to this kind of thing and alcohol was mainly to blame. (1974). It gets better a bit at a time. It sounds better than just survival now. Please don't blame your Dad. You have to figure lots of things out with your spouse over the years. It isn't as simple as telling them not to do something. I will pray for discernment for you guys. Bless you all and Be Well, Rustyzipper.
I’m so glad to hear that your mom is pulling through this but I’m sorry that you all have to go through this terrible ordeal. You certainly have my thoughts and prayers as does your entire family.

Whatever happened or the reasons it happened are known only to your mom and if I had one piece of advice it would be this.....please don’t blame your dad, yourself or anyone for that matter as it will do nothing but cause bad blood and additional stress on your mom, your dad and yourself. If you blame your dad for the actions of your mom you’ll only give your mom a reason to do what she did again, intentionally. No mother wants to be the reason that her husband and son are fighting. No mother wants to tear her family apart. Blame won’t heal your mom and it’ll only injure you and those you love the most.

Sometimes things happen in life that we just can’t wrap our minds around and we look for ways to explain or to “fill in the blanks” because humans have an innate need to understand. Blame is one of those scapegoats that we often use when we don’t understand and instead we use blame in lieu of the facts because it’s easier and requires no thought.

I wish you all the best and I’ll pray that God’s love guides you and your decisions during this difficult time.
Praying that the Lord cradles you and your family and gives you strength in your road ahead.
When you are a family member or a close friends, these kind of events just wound the soul. My prayers and hopes for a better future go to your family and to your mother. May God bless you.
My prayers are with you, your mom, and all your family. Respectfully and gently, I advise exactly what AcesNeights say. For now it needs to be all about Mom. Time will heal alot for her and for you.
Too sad,prayers sent.
From one gun-enthusiast to another , horrible news to hear . God be with your Mom and your family .
Our thoughts and prayers are on there way. Stay strong for the family .
This is very sad news. Prayer for your entire family from us in N.C.
Sorry to hear. Prayers for a speedy recovery.
That's some heavy stuff, bro. I just said a prayer for you and your mom & dad. For what it's worth, make sure you take care of yourself. Ask for help if you need it. Peace, my friend.
Prayers on the way
Heartbreaking to hear. I caution you not to go casting blame on your dad , yourself , or anyone else. The only person who is responsible is your mother and she’s obviously not well. We would all like to think we’d recognize the signs and be able to stop a loved one from harming themselves but no. We often don’t see the signs or understand the severity of the problem and even when we do it’s very hard to intervene successfully.
Was looking for an update. What’s the latest on the lady?
Sorry y’all are going through this. Take it easy on your dad. He may have been foolish and wrong, but love is your best answer here. God bless your mom and your family.
Update when you can
Prayers for healing.
AcesNeights - ery good post.
Originally Posted by Old_Toot
Was looking for an update. What’s the latest on the lady?

She is alive and alert. She cannot talk or swallow. She had reconstructive surgery on her jaw but will need several more to correct all the damage. She is stable and in the icu at this time.
I imagine she will be disfigured for life which will be very hard for all of us to deal with. She will recover but will never be 100%.
I imagine she will be disfigured for life which will be very hard for all of us to deal with. She will recover but will never be 100%.

Plastic surgeons can do wonders. The mental scars are another matter.
Hope for a full recovery.
Is she able to communicate by writing or typing yet? I'd guess she's pretty out of it at this point.
Omg!!! Prayers sent.
Thank goodness. Our prayers are being answered in the way we desired. Thanks for the update.

Jim
Wow. Prayers sent for healing both physically and mentally.

At least she's still with you. That could have had a much worse outcome.
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

Plastic surgeons can do wonders. The mental scars are another matter.
Hope for a full recovery.

She actually looked better than I thought when I face timed her today as I asked her to blink her eyes if she understood what I was saying.
She's on so much meds she is in and out.
Love, hope, faith, and prayers from my family to yours.

My mom had a stroke back on Memorial Day 2019. She has not been the same since. Some days are good, some days are bad. It has all been hardest on Dad.

Stand by your father, he needs you to be his backbone in this one. Just give Mom all the love you can and make sure she knows how you feel, even if it’s uncomfortable or out of the ordinary to say it.

I really feel for you.
Im thinking I may go back to work Wednesday and thursday even though I'm not really ready but I'm trying to save all my sick days in case I get the corona.
One day at a time. Thank God that she is still with you. Lots of prayers headed your way. things are headed in the right direction. Stay well my friend.
Well I didn't go back to work yesterday or today. I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I'll go back monday for sure. My stomach has been killing me. The only draw back is if I now get the corona virus im gonna wind up losing my job partly because I'll run out of time. I am a member of the sick leave bank and should have 90 moe days of time when I run out but I'll only get paid for 8 hours instead of 12 like im normally on.

Mom is able to talk now that they've moved her trachea tube.

She's improving every day. I think you all for your kind words, encouragement, and prayers, it definitely helps to have an Avenue to talk about this.
I hope she makes it and enjoy life as it comes.
I’m glad you still have your mom. Hang in there.
I wish the best for you and yours as you work your way through this issue in the months to come.

I have a question, just outta curiosity, did law enforcement become involved with this and if so did they take possession of your fathers Taurus Judge?

This is why I ask......

The Cops Have My Gun

Yeah, the guys here can be pretty helpful when they wanna be....
Take care of her,brother.. So Sorry...
Originally Posted by JeffA
I wish the best for you and yours as you work your way through this issue in the months to come.

I have a question, just outta curiosity, did law enforcement become involved with this and if so did they take possession of your fathers Taurus Judge?

This is why I ask......

The Cops Have My Gun

Yeah, the guys here can be pretty helpful when they wanna be....

They took my dad's gun yes. He's good friends with the sheriff in his county so he will get it back. Also the district attorney has moms cell phone going through it to see if she notified anyone she was gonna do this.
They moved her trachea tube and put a feeding line in her stomach. She's still doing well. Thank God. Miracles really do happen.
Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the updates.

Jim
She's able to breathe on her own.
Glad to hear. Keep the faith.
Originally Posted by devnull
Glad to hear. Keep the faith.

Will do
Holy crap, just saw this. Hope mom recovers as much as possible. Knee-mail outbound.
been taking a campfire mini vacation.. but have been following the thread when on..

Glad to hear that your mom is progressing on the positive side...

Been giving it a prayer when I am on, for you, your mom and your family..

God be with all of you...
Moms being transferred before lunch tomorrow to siskin rehab hospital to begin her rehabilitation.
Great news!
Sounds like she's on the mend physically.

How is she doing mentally?

Prayers for your family and mother

-Jake
I met a herd of damn fine folk out Crossville way late one night on the way to a 24HR pig shoot, hoping for comfort and a complete healing for your Mom.
Tngunenthusiast42: Pardon my late condolences and well wishes for your mom - I don't know how I missed your original posting.
This must be tough, but keep the faith and stay strong your mom and your family will need your help/strength.
Prayers done for your mother.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
She was transferred successfully yesterday to a rehabilitation hospital to relearn to swallow and talk again.
Moms being transferred before lunch tomorrow to siskin rehab hospital to begin her rehabilitation.

My father-in-law was a patient there. He was almost killed on a four-wheeler years ago and ended up fully recovering. He has nothing but great things to say about Siskin.

Glad to hear your mother is doing better.
Good news! Has she talked about why/how it happened?
Originally Posted by Rooster7
Good news! Has she talked about why/how it happened?

Not that I'm aware of. She's tentatively scheduled to be released and come home may 5th, 2020. Barring any set backs that is.
Hope all goes well for your mother and her recovery, and you.

L.W.
Great news to hear. I hope she has speedy recovery.
Sorry to hear this - will pray for a speedy recovery.
She was transferred successfully yesterday to a rehabilitation hospital to relearn to swallow and talk again.

Damn. What a tragedy. I hope she has as full a recovery as is possible.
She's doing very well and is ahead of schedule. Ive missed talking to her so much.
Glad to hear that she is on the mend. Hope all works out well and she fully recovers.
Originally Posted by djs
Glad to hear that she is on the mend. Hope all works out well and she fully recovers.

The dr's expect her to make a full recovery but it's gonna take alot of time.
Originally Posted by djs

The dr's expect her to make a full recovery but it's gonna take alot of time.

That is more great news!
Good news!
Mom came home today. I sent her flowers. Tomorrow is her birthday. Unfortunately I have been exposed to the corona virus numerous times so I can't go see her right now.
Glad she is home.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Glad she is home.

Me too
Hope you get her back 100% down the road.

Lost Mom in 1965. A couple vague memories is it.

Life ain’t perfect, do the best.
Sounds like some prayers were answered. Glad to hear the good news!
Yes,

I'm still having difficulties with it and counseling hasn't helped. Im not sure what the next step will or should be.
Since you started this thread you've mentioned a couple things I kinda related to when my Father committed suicide.
Far different situation, but maybe not completely.

One was the possible prescription drug related cause you'd mentioned, we had that.
One of the more recent med's my dad had been prescribed was know to cause such tendencies.

Another was the basic relationship my Mother and Father had and how things had changed as it'd aged over the years.

Not sure just what you are dealing with but those were a couple of the more major personal issues I had to work through and get put in their place to move on...
© 24hourcampfire