Home
A cattle thread. Let's go boys, anything cattle.

Sorry man, these are not cowboys. You can't spend all night drinking and smoking weed, then get up at daybreak to feed when its -10
I asked Sam to start this thread. We all love our dogs, and not to take away from good friend Sam.

Some pretty good ol pics in this video
Originally Posted by hosfly
Some pretty good ol pics in this video

πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ» Great one!!!
Originally Posted by nealglen37
Sorry man, these are not cowboys. You can't spend all night drinking and smoking weed, then get up at daybreak to feed when its -10

You can but it takes resolve and stamina.
LOL
My thoughts on the 'cowboy' lifestyle.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

Read that line somewhere else.
Reincarnation by Wallace MacRae
Originally Posted by SamOlson
My thoughts on the 'cowboy' lifestyle.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

Read that line somewhere else.

Tale of two cities
Charles Dickens
It’s tough to stay out all night, get up go to work, done it a bunch!
We weaned calves today, neighbors ain't gonna sleep good for a couple of nights. πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚
Tom Wolfe, in the book β€œThe Right Stuff” Allen it they rude good health of youth’ when test pilots would drink all night at the bar and then fly supersonic the next day.

Love that line.
]

Or you just pop a speeder and stay up all night.

No kidding. Especially when it 40 below.

It don't matter who's in Austin, Bob Wills is still the king.
Even Willie knows it....
Covid keeping the grand kids home has allowed them to check momma cows on a regular basis during calving season. Here's a few of the recent arrivals at the daughter and SIL's place:

Grandson is proud of this one. He AI'ed the calf out of one of his show heifers. Cannot remember blood lines, but top shelf on both sides.
[Linked Image]

Another one of his nice show heifers. Unfortunately, AI did not stick. Grade calf from pasture bull.
[Linked Image]

Other grade calves in the past week or so...
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Not a big herd like the real cowboys. But keeps 'em busy. And the cow operation is as much about "raising boys into men" as it is cows.
Good looking cattle, it looks nice, and dry, it's a sea of mud here.

Since it's Sunday.

Originally Posted by wabigoon
Good looking cattle, it looks nice, and dry, it's a sea of mud here.

Sea of mud here as well. They have two hoop barns for storing round bales. One is now empty. Given the grandsons are off, they have stalled off the one hoop barn. Run the momma's in and pen 'em when they get close. Turn 'em out after a couple days when the calf is up and going strong.

They had one live birth a few weeks back, out on the hillside, in the mud. Cow and calf doing fine. Momma cleaning up the baby. They left, came back a couple hours later. Black headed buzzards had run the cow off the calf and killed the calf. They've not noticed any issue with the black headed buzzards in the hoop barn.
MESKIN BUZZARD shoot on sight. Kill babies by eatin' their eyes. Red headed buzzards only eat dead stuff.
I was expecting more cows.

This is Elsa, our first Jersey.

[Linked Image]

Elsa and her calf at milking time.

[Linked Image]

My daughter with Meatball, half Jersey, Half Hereford

[Linked Image]

Meatball with her half Angus calf.

[Linked Image]

Nellie (half Dexter Half Hereford) with her half Angus calf.

[Linked Image]

Our cream separator. I love that machine.

[Linked Image]

We AI some cows and heifers every year, and use my neighbor's bull. After the rodeo the first year, we only AI our halter trained girls. There are 5 more calves due, all from a Murray Gray. We will be milking two this year. Surplus milk will feed pigs.
© 24hourcampfire