Home
Posted By: Trumper Ibc tote uses - 03/31/20
My neighbor finds the oddest things and brings them home by the tractor trailer load.He drives his own rig an brings stuff home he gets for free then after sitting around the farm awhile he tries to just give the stuff away. His latest is a trailer load of food grade 275 gallong IBC totes that he has a free sign hanging on now. Looks like I should be able to make something from one or two but prior to bringing it to my place to just sit there I need an idea how to make a corn feeder out of it for deer.
Any suggestions?
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Ibc tote uses - 03/31/20
Somewhere in here a guy was using 4 of them stacked up to make a shooting house out of.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Ibc tote uses - 03/31/20
Root beer?
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Ibc tote uses - 03/31/20
There used around my area during the algea harvest. The totes sell for around a hundred bucks, if food grade and have lids!
Posted By: Kyhilljack Re: Ibc tote uses - 03/31/20
Have one back of garage that has the downspout routed to it. Use it for watering potted plants and early on for the garden transplants.
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: Ibc tote uses - 03/31/20
You talking the plastic or stainless totes?

Plastic ones are good for a trash bin by the road in the front the single wide.

Stainless is good for fuel.
Posted By: Snipebander Re: Ibc tote uses - 03/31/20
The plastic ones get brittle in the sun even if they are white plastic. If you want one to last, pull the bottle from the frame and paint it white with latex paint as a UV barrier. Then put it back in the frame. It will now last much longer.
The rednecks pull the tote, make a deer blind

Then repurpose the cage by wrapping it in chicken wire and then putting their gamecocks in each one. See a yard with 3 Camaros and 87 game cocks each in their own little abodes

Or they use the plastic totes for dog houses.
Posted By: MM879 Re: Ibc tote uses - 03/31/20
There is a guy on the net that uses the cage to sell firewood. Has a hot wife also, Morgans
Posted By: Hectortwsp Re: Ibc tote uses - 03/31/20
I know a guy that stacks one on top another cuts door and windows it it for a deer blind but it is pretty small you'd be better off with a popup blind. Saw a video where a someone used it to make a shower same concept as the deer blind.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Ibc tote uses - 03/31/20
If I lived nearby I'd have to take a few off his hands. They'd be great for water storage here, as KYhilljack pointed out.

Slum, I guess the cages with chicken wire are cheaper than the "dogloos" they used to use around here. Whole field of little igloos with a stake and a tied up rooster.

Geno
I can get a few of these totes from our water treatment plant. I still got connections.

But, if I haul anything else into this yard, I’ll have to paint Conrad on the mailbox.
Posted By: horse1 Re: Ibc tote uses - 03/31/20
Some folks cut a side out of them and store firewood in them.

As mentioned earlier, several folks use the metal cages for selling/transporting firewood.
Posted By: las Re: Ibc tote uses - 03/31/20
Originally Posted by slumlord
I can get a few of these totes from our water treatment plant. I still got connections.

But, if I haul anything else into this yard, I’ll have to paint Conrad on the mailbox.

I think he might object to the wood chipper and purree maker. Probably attract flies for a time also.
Posted By: Setterman Re: Ibc tote uses - 03/31/20
How about a pic for the uninitiated.

Thnx,

Bob
Posted By: horse1 Re: Ibc tote uses - 03/31/20
Originally Posted by Setterman
How about a pic for the uninitiated.

Thnx,

Bob

https://fargo.craigslist.org/grd/d/gallon-ibc-tote/7097340745.html
I used one several years ago, for laying concrete block.

Didn’t have a curb stop on the main yet.

Then,
I knew of some boys that had a mobile carwash business, pumps, two tanks, trailer mounted rig.

A lot of uses.
Posted By: Setterman Re: Ibc tote uses - 03/31/20
Thanks Horse. I was guessing that.

Bob
Posted By: GeoW Re: Ibc tote uses - 03/31/20
Workin mash..
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Ibc tote uses - 03/31/20
Originally Posted by GeoW
Workin mash..

yup
Posted By: stxhunter Re: Ibc tote uses - 03/31/20
and speaking of game cocks, its been awhile since i been to a derby, going to have to soon. see if i can win a few bucks.
Posted By: xxclaro Re: Ibc tote uses - 04/01/20
I have one on a trailer I use for watering trees/plants around the yard and to fill the pool for the ducks. Have another in the barn that holds enough water to keep the chickens in water for weeks...new metal roof on the barn so I'll collect rain water in it this year. I made a couple quick and easy rabbit shelters for winter out of them, just cut a little door on the bottom. I've got a few more kicking around I need to find uses for.
Posted By: 280shooter Re: Ibc tote uses - 04/01/20
[Linked Image from farmshow.com]
Posted By: logger Re: Ibc tote uses - 04/01/20
I use two of them on a flat bed as the water source for my forest fire pump and hose. I need to get two more and build a skid to put them on. Then I can lift the skid (with the totes empty) into my 5 yd. dump truck and have a much more mobile fire fighting unit.
Posted By: Capt_Craig Re: Ibc tote uses - 04/01/20
Folks around here use them for stealing fuel from gas stations. They are mounted inside of vans and the trucks drive from station to station, using stolen credit cards, and fill them up. Lots of that crap down here. Personally I’ve modded a couple for live bait holding pens at the dock, and for softened fresh water storage for washdown.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Ibc tote uses - 04/01/20
Originally Posted by logger
I use two of them on a flat bed as the water source for my forest fire pump and hose. I need to get two more and build a skid to put them on. Then I can lift the skid (with the totes empty) into my 5 yd. dump truck and have a much more mobile fire fighting unit.

Logger,

what are you using as a pump for your unit.
I've been thinking of looking for an old rural type firefighting truck to keep in the yard, key in it, solar battery maintainer, so the neighbors can grab it and go if needed, but that system you have might be easier to obtain.

Geno
I currently have a Honda 12 hp powered pump that I bought new online. I'm looking to upgrade to Wick Si 250-7S based on the recommendations from our local wildland fire fighters. It's more expensive, but when you have a fire roaring towards you, I want the performance and reliability. This is a three stage pump. It exceeds the minimum of 20 gallons/min at 115 psi.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Ibc tote uses - 04/01/20
I currently have a Honda 12 hp powered pump that I bought new online. I'm looking to upgrade to Wick Si 250-7S based on the recommendations from our local wildland fire fighters. It's more expensive, but when you have a fire roaring towards you, I want the performance and reliability. This is a three stage pump. It exceeds the minimum of 20 gallons/min at 115 psi.

Thanks,

I'm going to assume that has attachments to standard fire hose fittings?

We're thinking of getting a 1200gal storage tank here too, in case the well pump goes bad and it takes a coupla days to get a replacement. But the tank would also be used for fire purposes too. Already told the local VFD folks if we get one they are welcome to the water if needed in case of a wildland fire here.

I'll write down those models, thanks again.

Geno
Geno:

Talk to your local VFD and get fitting that match up with what they use. Then you can get adapters to match up to a garden hose.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Ibc tote uses - 04/02/20
Geno:

Talk to your local VFD and get fitting that match up with what they use. Then you can get adapters to match up to a garden hose.

Thanks, I'll do that again but as I recall the guys told me standard 1.5" fire hose fitting would work on the drain I'd use for the winter. Actually they said they probably have the adapters too.

But, their right down the road, and they also come by when they "exercise" the trucks so I'll make sure to ask again.

Geno
© 24hourcampfire