Home
...that numbers of property crime/theft/assaults/violence and whatnot will begin to increase? In what is admittedly but a casual, completely non-scientific personal series of observations on my part, I've noticed in my travels locally that people are behaving more and more aggressively, if in ways that are only slightly, if definitively perceptible--in my opinion only, of course. I believe I have definitely observed more instances of impatient shytheadery in simple things relating to drivers, dog walkers, cashiers and delivery people. I've noticed an increase IMO in some difficult to define--but present nonetheless--instances of increased sour and suspicious looks, argumentativeness and general, I dunno', distrust.

My personal feeling is that as long as the big three are readily available--food/water, electricity and heat-- things will be OK and the streets aren't likely to start running red. Take away any of those and I could easily see where things go to shyt right quick. I have a class A, so called 'high capacity' state issued license to carry concealed firearms. As the liberal ivory midden I normally work at would relieve me of my position were I caught carrying OTJ, I don't (allegedly) normally do so while working, but now that I am an employee working 'remotely', I don't leave the house unarmed, ever. My wife has never been anti-gun, and has been shown how to load and use every firearm in the house to proper effect, but it surprised me when last week or so she started asking me every time we were getting ready to leave the house, 'kenju arimasu-ka, daddy?' Translation: 'do you have a jammy on you, daddy?'

Interesting times continue.

This will calm the masses.
You call your handgun a jammy?

I think everyone predicts that, that's why sales are through the roof.
Gat, rod, heater, piece, jammy, iron, persuader, lead launcher, whatever. If I'm feeling parochial I'll also use 'pistol', 'handgun', 'sidearm' and 'revolver'. Hope that sets you at ease.
Originally Posted by kingston
This will calm the masses.

Oh no, not the 'masses'! wink

Let's not forget strap.

I'm always strapped, with a pistol. Now is the time to start considering always bringing an AR in the vehicle.
Can't say I see that around here. I hardly go out and it seems that nobody else does, either.

On the very few occasions that I've gone out lately the 4 or 5 people (total) that I've interacted with have been typical, friendly, rural Kentuckians.
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Can't say I see that around here. I hardly go out and it seems that nobody else does, either.

On the very few occasions that I've gone out lately the 4 or 5 people (total) that I've interacted with have been typical, friendly, rural Kentuckians.

Watch for your neighbor with the fishin' hole planting mines in the wee hours of the night, B.

wink
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
Let's not forget strap.

I'm always strapped, with a pistol. Now is the time to start considering always bringing an AR in the vehicle.

Ah yes, ye olde strappe. Forgot that one. Gracias. wink
You're gonna get ES91 all horned up.
Originally Posted by kamo_gari

Watch for your neighbor with the fishin' hole planting mines in the wee hours of the night, B.

wink

hmmmm,....I might be able to catch a mess o'bluegill while he's all locked up in the house.
Let's not forget strap.

Glad to hear it, but if you're not interacting with any people outside a small handful of your neighbors or spending time away from the homestead I guess you'd not be able to get a feel for any changes.
kamo_gari.

we all just need to find our safe spot and stay there. When one leaves, bad scheidt happens

Never get out of the boat.

Geno
Out here in BFE, every one seems to be patient and even quicker with a smile and a wave than usual. When making a quick stop at the grocery or Home Depot, folks are very respectful of personal space, and very good at maintaining six foot spacing in checkout lines.

But then, it is Idaho and we expect everyone to carry. An armed society is..........

wink

hmmmm,....I might be able to catch a mess o'bluegill while he's all locked up in the house.

Do it. Just watch for tiger pits, bouncing betties, pungi stakes and defensive piles of hidden cow patties. And be sure to tote one of your FN FALs on your cover of darkness bluegill runs too, brother. wink
Let's not forget strap.

Glad to hear it, but if you're not interacting with any people outside a small handful of your neighbors or spending time away from the homestead I guess you'd not be able to get a feel for any changes.

True enough. But the world has been on a downhill slide since The Andy Griffith show went from black and white to color.

The less feel for the world's changes I notice, the better I like it.
Kamo... these boys hailed from a bit south of you, but I rekkon a man as well rounded as yourself might recognize....;)

He pulled out the jammy, and aimed it at the sky
He yelled stick em up!! And let two fly..

Hands went up and people hit the floor
He wasted two kids that ran for the door
Originally Posted by Valsdad
kamo_gari.

we all just need to find our safe spot and stay there. When one leaves, bad scheidt happens

Geno

A lot of people who lived paycheck to paycheck are out of work. The unemployment systems are overloaded and many, many folks can't even get signed up. WTF do you think is going to happen ?
Not happening, other than maybe some deep state minions trying to stir up the pot.
Originally Posted by Certifiable
Kamo... these boys hailed from a bit south of you, but I rekkon a man as well rounded as yourself might recognize....;)

He pulled out the jammy, and aimed it at the sky
He yelled stick em up!! And let two fly..

Hands went up and people hit the floor
He wasted two kids that ran for the door

Hmm. Doesn't ring any bells.

South? Yep, but only about by 2 hours if I'm in a hurry... wink

You’re on the right path my man...
Paul Revere off the Licensed to ill album. One of the best, ever.
Originally Posted by Blackheart
A lot of people who lived paycheck to paycheck are out of work. The unemployment systems are overloaded and many, many folks can't even get signed up. WTF do you think is going to happen ?

I don't know the answer to your question but I'd hope that even during times of adversity--and maybe moreso during these kinds of difficult times-- people would come together and be respectful and supportive and try to just persevere and maintain. But then not everyone across this nation will react the same. Some who have suddenly lost the assurance of a weekly paycheck will hunker down, tighten belts, circle the wagons, figure out how to get by and plod on. And then some will perhaps decide that things have changed and they might need to begin preying on others. We shall see soon enough, I imagine.
I live in a hilly, woody area, full of Meth and assorted other small town crime. I've got a place in the country and a place in town. I don't see much change in the country people but the townies seem stressed and on edge. I've NEVER had any problems with theft or anything at my farm. At the onset of this thing I went and got some gas. I was going to pump it off into my 1000 gallon farm tank. I hadn't used that tank in a couple of years. Somebody had tried to steal gas and left the top hole open. Now this probably didn't happen during the COVID thing, but...My kids found some tracks the other day out around my implement shed too, indicating somebody had been nosing around.

So I could see an uptick right soon here if this thing doesn't start getting better.

I don't know the answer to your question but I'd hope that even during times of adversity--and maybe moreso during these kinds of difficult times-- people would come together and be respectful and supportive and try to just persevere and maintain. But then not everyone across this nation will react the same. Some who have suddenly lost the assurance of a weekly paycheck will hunker down, tighten belts, circle the wagons, figure out how to get by and plod on. And then some will perhaps decide that things have changed and they might need to begin preying on others. We shall see soon enough, I imagine.
Well they ain't going to be too friendly when the electric gets shut off and they're living in a dark house with no internet, no TV and freezing their asses off with nothing to eat.. All of that stuff takes money or it's gone.
Let's not forget strap.

Beginning? I have one in the car all the time. But hell this is Montana and well so doesn't the majority of others here. If not an AR some other rifle that can get the job done I would say is in 90% of the vehicles here.

Well they ain't going to be too friendly when the electric gets shut off and they're living in a dark house with no internet, no TV and freezing their asses off with nothing to eat.. All of that stuff takes money or it's gone.

Apparently you're not familiar with how things work in the 'welfare' system in some places. No free food, free money, free housing, free utilities, free healthcare, free childcare? Whutchutalkinbout Willis?

The day the hordes of unwashed, inner city, gimmedat' masses get cut off from their goobermint supplied lifelines is the day the urban wars begin.

Apparently you're not familiar with how things work in the 'welfare' system in some places. No free food, free money, free housing, free utilities, free healthcare, free childcare? Whutchutalkinbout Willis?

The day the hordes of unwashed, inner city, gimmedat' masses get cut off from their goobermint supplied lifelines is the day the urban wars begin.

Bricks become the new Master Keys of the neediest.....😎

I'm talking about working folks, not welfare. My wife and I have both been laid off from work for over two weeks now. We're both eligible for unemployment. We've both been trying to get signed up about 40 times every day with no joy so far. We have enough in savings to keep the bills paid for a few months and have a good supply of food on hand.. If we were among the 60% of Americans living paycheck to paycheck who don't have enough in savings to handle a 1000.00 emergency we'd be getting pretty damned nervous, maybe even desperate right about now.

Try those government website at this hour?
Originally Posted by BD_Huntress

Try those government website at this hour?
You're only allowed to sign up from 8 AM to 7 PM. The stupid fuggs need to keep it going 24/7.
When they run out of food, is when it will turn into lord of the flys
Originally Posted by 79S
When they run out of food, is when it will turn into lord of the flys

No doubt.....And all those who said Black Guns should only be used by the military will wish they had a few. 😎
Around here people have been polite and thoughtful. I’ve been impressed by the decency I’ve seen but I live in the country, a small island actually but I drive to the “mainland” everyday and I haven’t encountered any rude or unusually obnoxious people....luckily.

I'm talking about working folks, not welfare. My wife and I have both been laid off from work for over two weeks now. We're both eligible for unemployment. We've both been trying to get signed up about 40 times every day with no joy so far. We have enough in savings to keep the bills paid for a few months and have a good supply of food on hand.. If we were among the 60% of Americans living paycheck to paycheck who don't have enough in savings to handle a 1000.00 emergency we'd be getting pretty damned nervous, maybe even desperate right about now.

I understand what you're saying. I was responding to your comment about electricity and heat being shut off. The projects denizens won't have to worry about such things, even while working families will begin to struggle as a result of loss of income. Trust me, I understand how things can--and indeed have-- changed dramatically just in the last few weeks for many of us. My wife, who in a good year pulls in $120K+, has been for the last month and will for the foreseeable future be totally unemployed...
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Bricks become the new Master Keys of the neediest.....😎

Fact. On the flip side, 12 bores stoked with #4 buckshot become the new 'Vamonos Pest' in a can...
Food for thought gari. Not seeing the anxiety here in the fly over ...yet.
Nothing here. ABC store been packed.
Im curious what it's doing to the black market. No way to track, but all those restaurant workers out of money..... worked restaurants when I was a kid, and EVERBODY partied. I bet pot sales are way down, til that $1200 check hits. Bet a lot of that never sees the legal economy.
Originally Posted by jackmountain
I bet pot sales are way down, til that $1200 check hits. Bet a lot of that never sees the legal economy.

Baker says reopening recreational marijuana shops amid coronavirus outbreak is a ‘non-starter’

By Felicia Gans Globe Staff,Updated March 31, 2020, 3:48 p.m.

Governor Charlie Baker speaks during a briefing on the state's response to coronavirus in the Gardner Auditorium of the Massachusetts State House on Monday.

Despite pleas from leaders in the cannabis industry to reopen adult-use marijuana stores, Governor Charlie Baker defended his choice Tuesday to keep them closed, even while deeming medical dispensaries “essential" and allowing them to remain open.

Baker has repeatedly said his biggest concern about reopening adult-use stores is attracting hoards of out-of-state customers, which could further spread the coronavirus virus throughout Massachusetts. The governor has already asked anyone traveling to Massachusetts from out of state to self-quarantine for 14 days.

At his daily press conference Tuesday, Baker reiterated those concerns.

“There is tons of evidence that because Massachusetts is one of the few states in the Northeast that’s legalized recreational marijuana, that if we make recreational marijuana available as an essential business ... we are going to have to deal with the fact that people are going to come here from all over the place, across the Northeast, and create issues for us with respect to the fundamental issue we are trying to solve for here, which is to stop the spread,” he said. “And for that reason and that reason alone, I think this is just, it’s a non-starter with us.”

In an effort to assuage Baker’s fears about out-of-state customers, many in the cannabis industry, including cannabis Commissioner Shaleen Title, have recommended reopening adult-use marijuana stores for Massachusetts residents exclusively.

Ordered to close and excluded from federal aid, marijuana entrepreneurs staring down insolvency
Mass. marijuana regulator joins fight to allow recreational pot stores to reopen
In a letter addressed to Massachusetts state officials yesterday, more than two dozen Massachusetts cannabis operators and applicants backed that idea, writing they are “fully supportive of limiting sales to Massachusetts residents during this health crisis and will not only enforce that policy, but will do our part to educate the public about that restriction once it is enacted.”

But when asked whether he would consider that on Tuesday, Baker said he wasn’t sure that was a legal option.

“I don’t know if you can do that legally," he said. "It’s certainly something that some folks have talked about.”

But some in the industry already argue that such a move would be legal, pointing to policies in Colorado that initially restricted non-residents to smaller purchase limits than residents. Jordan Wellington, vice president of policy for the consulting arm of national cannabis law firm Vicente Sederberg, said the example in Colorado “provides important insight into this matter.”

“As far as Massachusetts is concerned, it is hard to imagine a more substantial reason or legitimate end than preventing the spread of the corona virus [sic],” Wellington wrote in a memo Tuesday.

Marijuana entrepreneurs have expressed concerns that if they’re forced to remain closed for the foreseeable future, they may not be able to dig out of the hole financially and reopen.

State Representative Chynah Tyler filed an amendment Friday in an effort to help those businesses, urging state leaders to allow adult-use marijuana stores to continue operating “in the same manner in which package [liquor] stores" are allowed to operate.

“In 2016, Massachusetts voters, through a ballot initiative, overwhelmingly voted in favor or legalizing the adult use of marijuana,” Tyler wrote in a letter to Baker, co-signed by state Representative Jay Livingstone and state Senators Nick Collins and Joseph Boncore. “Regulations were put in place to treat this newly legalized product similar to alcoholic beverages. We have a responsibility to ensure that this equity is upheld during these unprecedented times.”
I'm not getting out enough to see any increased "shytheadery". I don't think it's happening much around here. I have driven to a pharmacy to pick up an RX through the drive through...there was MUCH less traffic on the roads, especially the interstate. Wife has picked up groceries a couple of times and very few people are out. Most folks around here are pretty considerate.

There are plenty of low life's who'll steal anything they can get their hands on but I think there's going to be a major decrease in theft right now in our area as a lot of people aren't leaving for work everyday like normal.....if folks are home it's much harder to steal the atv, mower, tractor equipment, etc

Let's not forget strap.

My main vehicle has an AR that's been living in it for as far back as I can remember. It's for coyotes but I guess it might work for other stuff.

bingo
i video'd a line around the local costgo store last week, completely around the store, with an hour to go prior to opening. the people looked desparate, and they were. lot of minority, say mexican, and from clothing not upper class. mostly people that didn't want to be there, but lived week to week. with unemployment hitting, a lot of the state is shut down, no dinero, no supplie, it's big pile of caca time.
i have always gone harmed but our securities levels have increased.
Walking in the suburban neighborhood finds most people quick with a smile & a hello, though not as fast to stay the fcuk away from me & keep their breath to themselves. There's no rule that says one HAS to stay on the [maternal fornicating] sidewalks - it's totally possible to make way & space for others by veering into the right-of-way.

However, I've noticed a lot more beater cars / mini pickup trucks, most with poorly performing exhaust systems, orbiting the area, & our street. It seems these are folks who are hustling for handyman or landscape work. There was a fella with a mid-80's Camry driving around last week, with a 16' ladder strapped to the roof. I'm not sure if I was more surprised at the redneck way in which the ladder was secured, or that the car seemed to be showroom new. Anyhow, the entirety of the inside was filled with what seemed to be his worldly possessions. I don't believe he was sleeping in his car, for there was no room, but he certainly seemed to be living out of it.

Whilst walking with the Mrs., we witnessed him pull up to a construction site for a new home, & use their porta-john. Seemed a bit sketchy, given there's a park with heated facilities but a 1/3 of a mile away. We saw him an hour later settling a mailbox post in concrete directly across our street. It turns out the trunk of said Camry was filled with sacks of Quickcrete and various tools.

I certainly admire folks who'll hustle, though my usual rule of thumb is to never hire a contractor who can't afford a full-sized truck. In any case, instances like these have increased from zero, to reasonably prevalent, in the past 3 weeks. I'm not alarmed, but I'm mindful. The J-frame is always with me: it's the clutch purse of pistolas. Leaving the local area, however, finds me with a full-frame Sig + 2 spare magazines. I'll keep the honest guys honest, and make things a quite unpleasant for the dishonest ones.

Kindsness & mindfulness.

FC
Domestic violence has spiked here, as well as property crimes and burglaries of businesses. Many are shut down by the local Gauleiters and are easy pickings.
I always have a long gun in the truck anyway, so nothing new there for me.
It might get rough in the cities if food and supplies become difficult to obtain
No change so far.

People seem considerate yet.
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged

I certainly admire folks who'll hustle, though my usual rule of thumb is to never hire a contractor who can't afford a full-sized truck. In any case, instances like these have increased from zero, to reasonably prevalent, in the past 3 weeks. I'm not alarmed, but I'm mindful. The J-frame is always with me: it's the clutch purse of pistolas. Leaving the local area, however, finds me with a full-frame Sig + 2 spare magazines. I'll keep the honest guys honest, and make things a quite unpleasant for the dishonest ones.

Kindsness & mindfulness.

FC

Yep, similar happenings here. In the 6 years we've been in our home here we've had maybe 2 or 3 random knocks at the door from unsolicited guys offering to take down our ~40' blue spruce that was butchered our first year here by power line guys in an alleged effort to prevent problems between the tree and the wires. In the past two weeks we've had 4 or 5 different guys trying to hit us up to do the same job. I don't like it and with the two instances I've fielded, I've made it a point to silently demonstrate that I wasn't interested and that I didn't appreciate random solicitations. The sight and sounds of a combined 170 pounds of nervous, agitated, talky labs and a dude with a sour face and a Sig P220 in .45 ACP in his belt is apparently sufficient to relay that there's no work to be had here...
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Nothing here. ABC store been packed.
Im curious what it's doing to the black market. No way to track, but all those restaurant workers out of money..... worked restaurants when I was a kid, and EVERBODY partied. I bet pot sales are way down, til that $1200 check hits. Bet a lot of that never sees the legal economy.

Have an old friend who lives in NYC. To supplement his Social Security he does a bit of drug sales. He delivers on his bicycle. Says week-end recreational use is way down.
On the couple of occasions I've had to go anywhere in the past two weeks people have been okay, but people tend to be much more personable down here than in those schithole northeastern cities.
Around here, things are quiet. Police calls for service have gone down substantially, and crime is believed to be down about 33% since the crisis started. Link. If anyone in town did not have enough guns or ammo, the decimated shelves and display racks at Sportsman's Warehouse are anecdotal evidence that any gun-ownership gap has closed substantially. I really do not see things getting out of hand.

One the issue of firearm slang, my wife and I started using the term "friend" long before Scarface. It's a neutral term that you can use around anyone.
I live in a small fishing town about 35 minutes east of Green Bay WI. Locally - things are as they've always been but with less tourists. Kinda nice. Like winter with decent temps.

Anecdotally - Facebook has a "police scanner" blurb every day of doings in GB. It's getting thin. I would say that's not because of the situation directly but because police are responding less to minor things which will likely embolden some thuggery.

I'm not too worried - got my rosco here (G19) with easy access to a 45 Colt, AR-14 and a Burrito loaded with 3in #4.
Everything Fine here so far.
i think the problem is in the cities and large metro areas. rats in a cage, fighting over a morsel.
Originally Posted by teal

I'm not too worried - got my rosco here (G19) with easy access to a 45 Colt, AR-14 and a Burrito loaded with 3in #4.

Ha. Good call on 'Roscoe'. Forgot about that one. 'Joint' is another I used to hear growing up. Glad to hear from many that peace still reigns. The original question, however, was if folks predict bad things happening if this thing *progresses*, but no worries...
Originally Posted by 19352012
You call your handgun a jammy?

beastie boys

edit going back and reading now the body of the thread. Others caught on too! lol

As for shytheadery, I haven’t been out as much, this is a big,little melting pot military town; there’s always plenty of impatient jerks here, poured in with hick locals.

I’m going to say it’s early to see the frustrations come out, but this extra 30 days and the decay of the economy- summer might be hot and grumpy

If you love your Walgreens, go hug it before it gets Ferguson’d
I think if it progresses - we'll see some stupidity. Human nature to be dumb and opportunistic.

Pharmacies first, then clinics as people think "those bastards have the cure in there I know it!" and then it will roll into storage sheds and low hanging fruit.

I doubt it will last long enough that roving band of dee-jens from up country start going door to door. If they do - I'm well sorted to handle myself and have zero qualm about doing so.
Originally Posted by cra1948
...but people tend to be much more personable down here than in those schithole northeastern cities.

Shythole states, eh? Please, tell me more from #46 out of 50...

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings/crime-and-corrections
Seeing more folks armed around here, my brothers cabin was broken into last week, getting more of that stuff! I care take 5 places by me but most know I go armed! Im 10 miles from a city so should fine for awhile!
Over the last several weeks my contact with anyone outside of work and my neighbors has been minimal and I rarely ever went into Fort Worth anyway, so I don't have a feel for what's going on in the city...but it's only about 30 miles from my front door to downtown. I'm feeling more and more inclined to force the wife to accompany me to the range for some refresher training on the use of various weapons just in case. I'm only away for about seven hours a day lately, but still.

I used to keep a bugout kit in my pickup as a preparedness measure, but hurricane Rita opened my eyes. Folks were pouring out of Houston and they depleted gasoline supplies for hundreds of miles around while clogging the roadways, and even bringing traffic to a prolonged dead stop.

The fact that there would be nowhere to go during a major disaster imprinted on my mind, and I realized that the best thing I could do is hunker down and band together with my neighbors and try to watch out for my neighborhood...and try to keep the peace. That thought still makes the most sense to me, so that's my own approach in this new scenario. I hope that's how people in town are thinking.

What happens if things get extra tough...I have no idea. Anyone's guess is as good as mine. Prepare for the worst and hope for the best is my mantra for the day.
Roscoe here was always a shotgun. My, the colloquialism! Keep em going!

Another vote for Smoke wagon !!!

Mentioned this before here but all the old time ranchers refered to a .22 rifle as their "target". Crazy I know. As for the subject,

Store was pretty full of groceries Monday. No long lines. Pretty laid back. Got everything I needed. Noticed this morning a real lack of county road traffic. Like it was 40 years ago! Nice!! Neighbors I know are all pretty tight on what we need to know and do. I am first house on a one way in and out road. So I see what all comes in and leaves. And We have a little text group established in the event something goes down.

Daughter is on the bigger Facebook neighborhood page (for what that’s worth). So is life in the fever infested creek and river bottom.
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Roscoe here was always a shotgun. My, the colloquialism! Keep em going!

Another vote for Smoke wagon !!!

Mentioned this before here but all the old time ranchers refered to a .22 rifle as their "target". Crazy I know. As for the subject,

I'm enjoying hearing all the name-of-nicks myself!

This has been my observation, as well. Plus, every driver I see waves now, like I'm carrying a load of toilet paper.
kamo gari:
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope that other than the trevails we are all slogging through at present that this finds you and yours well.

As it happens, because of the situation we're in, I've made a point to check in with a good number of my friends to make sure they and their families are well and to see if there's anything they need that I might be able to do other than pray for them.

One of them this past week is a buddy who is LEO - Vancouver PD - who reported that things are quite quiet so far.

We chatted about family, hunting, the horrible canoeing accident I had last fall where all my firearms were lost - stuff like that and then both of us brought up the Vancouver Riot which he'd been at the very center of. Very vividly I recall him describing mobs throwing bricks. bottles and other projectiles at the LEO who were planted on downtown Vancouver streets and told, "try your best to hold them back"..... crazy

It does us all well to recall that the west coast Canucks, world renown for being green leaning pacifistic stoners, rioted because a hockey game was lost.

The rationale behind me saying this is not in any way, shape or remote form attempting to instill more fear or panic into anyone, may I please be clear on that issue.

More so, it's a plea for you and any other gentle readers here to be extremely vigilant in this uncertain and trying time. Folks can be funny sometimes and sometimes they can be absolutely feral - just ask my buddy.

All the best to you all my cyber friend, stay well and safe.

Dwayne
Originally Posted by websterparish47
Food for thought gari. Not seeing the anxiety here in the fly over ...yet.
North Louisiana rural people are heavily armed. Ever been to Goldonna, La.? Probably going to stay fairly polite and law abiding, to the extent that the underclass won't start preying on the neighbors.
Ever been to Goldonna, La.?

I don't recall that one, but I have been to Ida, and Rodessa. smile miles
...and a Sig P220 in .45 ACP in his belt ...

Ah, an excellent vintage.

FC
...that numbers of property crime/theft/assaults/violence and whatnot will begin to increase? In what is admittedly but a casual, completely non-scientific personal series of observations on my part, I've noticed in my travels locally that people are behaving more and more aggressively, if in ways that are only slightly, if definitively perceptible--in my opinion only, of course. I believe I have definitely observed more instances of impatient shytheadery in simple things relating to drivers, dog walkers, cashiers and delivery people. I've noticed an increase IMO in some difficult to define--but present nonetheless--instances of increased sour and suspicious looks, argumentativeness and general, I dunno', distrust.

My personal feeling is that as long as the big three are readily available--food/water, electricity and heat-- things will be OK and the streets aren't likely to start running red. Take away any of those and I could easily see where things go to shyt right quick. I have a class A, so called 'high capacity' state issued license to carry concealed firearms. As the liberal ivory midden I normally work at would relieve me of my position were I caught carrying OTJ, I don't (allegedly) normally do so while working, but now that I am an employee working 'remotely', I don't leave the house unarmed, ever. My wife has never been anti-gun, and has been shown how to load and use every firearm in the house to proper effect, but it surprised me when last week or so she started asking me every time we were getting ready to leave the house, 'kenju arimasu-ka, daddy?' Translation: 'do you have a jammy on you, daddy?'

All the pawn shops are open here. For the crackheads
its business as usual.
Originally Posted by Texczech

its business as usual.

Our pawn shops suck. Never found a deal on anything in them. I mean they have stuff, beat to hell and for about 50 cents less than new. Try and negotiate and you might get it down to 75 cents off. Waste of time here.
Originally Posted by milespatton
Ever been to Goldonna, La.?

I don't recall that one, but I have been to Ida, and Rodessa. smile miles

I went through Goldonna...once. Ida and Rodessa aren't far away.

Maybe OT but I want for groceries this morning at WM. Still out of TP. Glad I didn't need it. No dried beans or corn meal either. Didn't need them either.

Surprise was face mask. Maybe 30% were wearing them . All were women.
I got a bit contemplative a couple weeks ago when I went to the grocery store at 3 in the afternoon on a Wednesday and it was super crowded. They had no paper products, the rice, beans, pasta, and canned goods shelves were empty, and there was very little meat in the case. Looks like they’ve calmed down now and the store was better stocked this last Saturday but still….

Living in the burbs of Dallas, I don’t like to think about what would happen if the vibrant community’s EBT cards turned out to be useless because there wasn’t enough food for them in the grocery stores. I haven’t started carrying a rifle in the truck yet but I did start carrying my CZ75 instead of the 1911 figuring the extra round count wouldn’t hurt nothing. If they do run out of food at the stores for any length of time, it’s probably gonna get a bit sporty around here.

its business as usual.

Our pawn shops suck. Never found a deal on anything in them. I mean they have stuff, beat to hell and for about 50 cents less than new. Try and negotiate and you might get it down to 75 cents off. Waste of time here.

We have 2 here that are operated by gun guys
They usually have a fair selection and.will deal with you. They also carry a good selection of old good tools.
So far, knock on wood, I’ve experienced the opposite L. It’s been eerily slow in my AO regarding the violent aspects of my profession.

its business as usual.

We have 2 here that are operated by gun guys
They usually have a fair selection and.will deal with you. They also carry a good selection of old good tools.
When I was a kid I used to love going to my Grandparents' house in Dallas. Very clean and nice place then, with the exception of downtown, but then, we never went to South Dallas. Skip forward a few years and I was living and working there. Not as nice. Mom would tell about when she was growing up and it was a small city about the size of Wichita. Now...I wouldn't live there. I'd need to be at least sixty miles from the outer edge, I think. It's just too big. If I HAD to live in a city, I'd prefer KC, Wichita, Tulsa or OKC to DFW. Tulsa would actually head my list. Stay safe.
Originally Posted by Mac84
So far, knock on wood, I’ve experienced the opposite L. It’s been eerily slow in my AO regarding the violent aspects of my profession.
Prayers sent. Stay safe Mac.
Decades ago I came here to SA to teach in an inner-city Hell like one of them movie teachers (and to chase Mexican girls of course).

Couldn't find Hell anywhere in this town, those who actually live on the South and West Sides know all we got here is inner-city lukewarm smile despite this being one of the largest poverty centers in America

Five NBA Championships, the whole town turning out to party each time and nary a single riot, not even a broken window.

9/11 and the whole town erupted in American flags.

There ain't anywhere in the World I've known where people care less about skin color than South Texas.

No surprise then in this exceptionally laid-back and friendly city that I ain't run into any hostility, mostly good-natured patience waiting on lines.

Of course I hope this continues.
Thanks EE. You stay safe as well. That goes for everyone.
Four years ago pot was illegal here... now it is essential.

Alcohol is essential.

But schools are non-essential.

At least gun stores are essential.
The welfare/EBT system hasn’t been changed by the job losses or pandemic. If that ever goes down, then it will be time to get your helmet and game face on.
Just in case, I ordered a spare.

Hungarian Military Surplus Ballistic Vest with Ceramic Plates, Like New

How is your wife’s family faring in Japan?
Luckily my situation is 180 out from yours, Leighton. Just went for a walk with little man, cruising the various parks and school grounds. Most everyone we met was greeted with a hello, good morning, how are you, and so on. Most were walking their dogs or doing yard work. I venture out twice a week for physical therapy and an occasional grocery store stop, mostly the same with who I meet. Now, if EBT cards are shutoff, I expect a MUCH different atmosphere to rear its head.

All the best to you, A, and the four legged kids.
...but people tend to be much more personable down here than in those schithole northeastern cities.

I didn't say schithole states, I said "..schithole northeastern cities..." and I will stand by that, regardless of what some (probably politically motivated) Newsweek Magazine poll of questionable, and certainly incomplete, methodology may "show." The stated criteria alone are fraught with the possibility of uncontrolled variables. Polls like that are just clickbait.

I've lived in the NE and there are great places and great people all over up there. I've also spent time in most of the major cities up there. IMO, they're schitholes. In my experience, the general run of people you meet out in public here are a lot friendlier and a lot more open. They're a lot more likely to strike up casual, friendly conversations with strangers at the supermarket, restaurants, wherever.
Folks here are more courteous than ever.

Lots of gracious displays out and about. On the street, in the stores, etc.... I don’t see it continuing in the cities if the situation continues to decline. Some will band together and help each other out, others will go another route.
Originally Posted by MadMooner
Folks here are more courteous than ever.

Lots of gracious displays out and about. On the street, in the stores, etc.... I don’t see it continuing in the cities if the situation continues to decline. Some will band together and help each other out, others will go another route.

Sort of the general East Coast/West Coast thing?
A cultural division in my opinion. Not east vs west.

Those that were good neighbors will likely continue to be so. Those that weren’t, won’t, and I would guess will become a problem.

While both sorts are present everywhere, the concentration of the latter is simply more dense in an urban setting and will have more impact.
Kamo,

Things north of the border are good at present.

Although people are certainly suffering some & different levels of duress, not much has changed.

Everybody still says "sorry" !!!!

Seriously, we are very glad we a in a rural area, 20 minutes from town, in a catchment area population of about 6000.

Obviously, can't carry up here, even defending your property would be dicey !

Planning for the worst & hoping for the best, is always the right option.

These 2 pussycats, would go from what is depicted in this photo, to someone's worst nightmare, if they felt "Momma" was in danger, or if any of us said to !

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Collie x Shepard would do the protectin & the Rhodesian Ridgeback x Dane would do the bulk of the damage.

Hope you & yours stay safe & well !
Interesting times, indeed.

its business as usual.

the innanets ruint everthing.

dang pawn shop owners can use they googlefu and figger out what just about anything goes fer nowdays.

no more deels on heaters cause the pawn dude didn't no how much a clean 27-2 is worth,.

Sure sucks. Bigly

Geno
My dog found a fresh moose bone yesterday.

I don't think it was of Nature's winter-kill .
Originally Posted by las

Eskimos?

Geno
No “edginess” here, if anything people seem to be more patient than usual. I’m in a rural area though and most of the country folks around me can go a long time on a little.

I’d expect the cities to be the first places to become unhinged. They’re a lot more reliant on infrastructure and others in general.
Originally Posted by las

Eskimos?

Geno

Hey now.....
Other than our favorite restaurants being closed, it's pretty much business as usual around here. I'll wager that 97% of households in this county have at least one firearm and I don't see things getting too sporty. Glad I don't have young kids to try to entertain 24/7.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Originally Posted by las

Eskimos?

Geno

Hey now.....

OK,

Native Alaskans? of the Coastal Variety?

Geno
Originally Posted by AcesNeights
Around here people have been polite and thoughtful. I’ve been impressed by the decency I’ve seen but I live in the country, a small island actually but I drive to the “mainland” everyday and I haven’t encountered any rude or unusually obnoxious people....luckily.

It’s the same here so far Aces but we’re very rural we’re all chipping in in the area to help some elderly couples on fixed incomes staying at home. Let’s hope it spreads to other areas of the country and the place will be a lot better off. I believe it’s gonna be a great eye-opening to the millennials that just took everything for granted.
Let's not forget strap.

Ah yes, ye olde strappe. Forgot that one. Gracias. wink

Heeled?
I almost got into a fight at the Holiday in Fairbanks. A little goblin decided he wanted to show off to his meth skanks and yelled "get out of my way". I told him to calm down and walked to a different part of the store. He followed me and said, "I'll show you..." he pulled back to throw some kind of strange haymaker towards me and I hit him with a slide-through and sweeped his legs, grabbed him by the hood of his hoodie and threw him into the cooler. I told the manager to call the cops and I left. I am the nicest guy you would ever meet and people note that kids and dogs are always friendly towards me. I don't consider what I did as a fight because that feller didn't get a paw on me.

The stores in Fairbanks are low on some types of food. Especially frozen, instant food(like TV dinners). We are the last store in the supply chain so we will likely run out of stuff first. The booze, the pot and the sex shops(ie castle) seem to be doing bang up business. Things under the surface are not going to go well and as Las said the free moose population has disappeared. SW has been selling ammo and almost nothing in the camping section. However, camping has been selling lots of meat grinders and freezer paper. Take that the way you would. There was a big facebook share of letting the food stamp people go hog wild during the first three days of the month with their EBT cards.

Be well.
Originally Posted by kaboku68
I almost got into a fight at the Holiday in Fairbanks. A little goblin decided he wanted to show off to his meth skanks and yelled "get out of my way". I told him to calm down and walked to a different part of the store. He followed me and said, "I'll show you..." he pulled back to throw some kind of strange haymaker towards me and I hit him with a slide-through and sweeped his legs, grabbed him by the hood of his hoodie and threw him into the cooler. I told the manager to call the cops and I left.

Good job and great story...thanks!

That's because they're in a daze from lack of Big Blew bball or too much meth.
I want to remind you all about an interesting thread started by Rock&B Bar

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...2491/1/interesting-heads-up-this-morning

The main guy said he has been hearing a LOT of talk in the Mexican community around here. Most have been laid off. They all have lots of kids. There's a bunch of them. 50% of the population, or better. Probably 75%..

Anyway, he said he's hearing lots of talk in his Mexican community that they are running out of money quickly. He said they have been saying when they cannot buy what they need, they will start taking it. By force if needed, but they will take it.

Okay. Thanks for the heads up.

It's coming folks. Whether you believe it or not.

So here's why this is one of the potential flash points.

Part of the value in the 2 trillion dollar stimulus package is to keep the people living hand to mouth who loose their jobs from burning everything down. So we created a "relief" package with includes additional cash for unemployment, and direct payments to taxpayer so daddy don't have to loot the HBC cus the kids are hungry.

But if you were working under the table and not paying taxes, and get shut down, well, you are ineligible for unemployment AND the direct cash payments. Of course there employment patterns are more common in certain communities than others. So as the shut down continues, the potential for this to turn into a flash point escalates, especially for those of us who are not part of, but have significant exposure to these communities.

At this point it appear Colorado will experience an 8 week shut down. I'm not saying it will happen here, but I have to wonder if we will see any Ferguson type events in the type of area's I've described?

Here in America's behavorial sink things are pretty mellow so far. Ours is a town that is easy to exit and enjoy the outdoors. Stores are decently stocked and the dregs are happy to wait for more than 1 hour to get their pot. I went to Albertsons on Monday to avoid the EBT crowd and everyone was mellow except for one middle eastern type who threw a filthy wad of cash at the cashier and very loudly demanded that she accept it. I quietly reminded him that he should be grateful that better people better than he came to work and that he should lower his voice. He took the hint and adjusted his attitude.

So far I am impressed with how people are adjusting and adapting to a life changing event. Americans continue to show the world why we are the greatest nation on earth.

mike r
America is great because most of us are good.

Keeping a pretty close eye on Newyorkistan, however, like Kamo is keeping an eye on his metro. LA and SFO might get sporty.
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
America is great because most of us are good.

Keeping a pretty close eye on Newyorkistan, however, like Kamo is keeping an eye on his metro. LA and SFO might get sporty.

Parts of St. Louis??
I find everyone very polite around here, even in traffic people are driving more polite.

Kent
I'm more concerned folks will have a hard time going back to work and the daily grind/stress after sitting home and being taken care of by/told what to do from .gov.

Kent
everything here is pretty much like normal.
I warned that retirement is contagious. You worry about nothing and then your get used to and fight for nothing.
Here too
Originally Posted by stxhunter

What happened to that young girl you took under your wing?
We

I didn't say schithole states, I said "..schithole northeastern cities..." and I will stand by that, regardless of what some (probably politically motivated) Newsweek Magazine poll of questionable, and certainly incomplete, methodology may "show." The stated criteria alone are fraught with the possibility of uncontrolled variables. Polls like that are just clickbait.

I've lived in the NE and there are great places and great people all over up there. I've also spent time in most of the major cities up there. IMO, they're schitholes. In my experience, the general run of people you meet out in public here are a lot friendlier and a lot more open. They're a lot more likely to strike up casual, friendly conversations with strangers at the supermarket, restaurants, wherever.

You’ve got a craphole city smack dab in the middle of your state. Just sayin.... wink The northeast doesn’t have a Monopoly on craphole cities. Ever been to Memphis?
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
Here too
Originally Posted by stxhunter

What happened to that young girl you took under your wing?

she was here earlier, going with my youngest son.
We have been busying ourselves at home or staying close, and the very few ventures into town/society have been normal, as others have reported - calm, polite, sane. Crime and disruption very low. I doubt that this will stay the case for very much longer in the city 50 miles away and much more likely to break down even sooner in the big/dirty metro areas of the country.

I have a sense that those usually on the ragged edge detect the need to stay as balanced and well-behaved as possible - and try to curtail their bad habits as much as possible - because this scenario is way,way different than the predictable milieu in which they have learned to scheme and operate. I think that the misfits and takers are more uncomfortable and confused about what to do than the stable and sensible folks who make this place work - and those most inclined to eventually raid and grab from others are off balance because they realize that the good/productive/stable folks are serious about dealing with this mess and are, due to the unusual and serious circumstances, armed and ready to defend real quickly.

The normal laxity - the "look the other way" mentality - and the more common social lubricants are greatly diminished - not a good time for those who have not learned to be self-reliant and under self-control. Tilted landscape.
Originally Posted by CCCC
We have been busying ourselves at home or staying close, and the very few ventures into town/society have been normal, as others have reported - calm, polite, sane. Crime and disruption very low. I doubt that this will stay the case for very much longer in the city 50 miles away and much more likely to break down even sooner in the big/dirty metro areas of the country.

I have a sense that those usually on the ragged edge detect the need to stay as balanced and well-behaved as possible - and try to curtail their bad habits as much as possible - because this scenario is way,way different than the predictable milieu in which they have learned to scheme and operate. I think that the misfits and takers are more uncomfortable and confused about what to do than the stable and sensible folks who make this place work - and those most inclined to eventually raid and grab from others are off balance because they realize that the good/productive/stable folks are serious about dealing with this mess and are, due to the unusual and serious circumstances, armed and ready to defend real quickly.

The normal laxity - the "look the other way" mentality - and the more common social lubricants are greatly diminished - not a good time for those who have not learned to be self-reliant and under self-control. Tilted landscape.

You sir have a way with words... spot on, people aren't in the mood for their nonsense..... schit be getting real.... wink
How was it up there today, Leighton?
I predict since the border is closed and illegals are being expelled and unable to vote, the deep state will release a virus on the land requiring shelter in place, and commies will demand unlimited mail in ballots to screw Trump in his next POTUS race.
@EVILSPEAKEROFTHEHOUSE has already proposed all of that.

Including, I'm sure, releasing the deadly virus.

Originally Posted by jaguartx
I predict since the border is closed and illegals are being expelled and unable to vote, the deep state will release a virus on the land requiring shelter in place, and commies will demand unlimited mail in ballots to screw Trump in his next POTUS race.
The current goings on in Italy might be a preview.

It's almost a mile from the nearest road to my house, when do I know it's time to start shooting uninvited guest. It's been over a year since an uninvited guest has showed up around here and I met him with a shotgun pointed at his head. Come to find out he was hired by the county to do property tax adjustments. Guess he didn't like me our taxes went up a couple of hundred dollars.

I didn't say schithole states, I said "..schithole northeastern cities..." and I will stand by that,

Just floated back to this thread. You are correct and I apologize for misquoting you. It wasn't intentional.

Thanks to all who offered opinions and observations--and great, grin-provoking dog/wife shots. Never tire of seeing those. wink

For the gent who asked about my extended family in Japan, so far so good. Thank you for asking.

Stay safe, y'all.
© 24hourcampfire