Home
Posted By: smithrjd Cooper Discoverer AT3 tires - 04/02/20
Anyone using these? Truck needs new shoes.. Silverado 2500HD Long Bed Crew Cab 4X4. Use it for towing a big 5th wheel. Has Michelin LTX on it (OEM tires) they are going to make 50K, but about toast. Local tire store has deal on the Cooper's. Much cheaper, but..
Dont like em.

Much prefer Hancooks.
I’ve never gotten the mileage they claim. By 40k they are used up. Tried them on 3 vehicles.
My F150 likes them. A lot.
I have used Coopers for the last twenty years on all my trucks. Currently have them on my eight ft Super Duty and I also pull a fairly good sized fifth wheel.
Decent tires, nothing special, but like bubbajay said I've never gotten the mileage out of them that they claim.

Cut easily in sharp rock country.
Good enough for most things. Wear OK. Just so-so in snow
Originally Posted by smithrjd
Anyone using these? Truck needs new shoes.. Silverado 2500HD Long Bed Crew Cab 4X4. Use it for towing a big 5th wheel. Has Michelin LTX on it (OEM tires) they are going to make 50K, but about toast. Local tire store has deal on the Cooper's. Much cheaper, but..

They have been my go to tire for several years. I also run them on a 2500HD. I don't check or worry about mileage though.... I have a heavy truck and I drive hard, so I have never wasted my time worrying about fuel or tire mileage. The tires treat me good so the rest is what it is.
Yep, with tires you normally get what you pay for. The Cooper's are about $375 cheaper than a new set of Michelin's. $375 for 10K less might be OK.
If you are gonna run off brand tires.....look at Falken apparently.

Guess they a pretty good.

The ONLY reason i buy Coopers is because of the service i get from the Tire Rama over west.
Posted By: JMR40 Re: Cooper Discoverer AT3 tires - 04/02/20
I got 57,000 out of my last set on my F150. Could have easily gotten another 5,000, but put new tires on in November before hunting season and any chance of snow. I did about the same on my Tacoma. I've had them on other trucks too. Some of the older tires I could never get to balance, but the newer AT/3 is a much better tire than previous versions.

But... I didn't go with Cooper in November. Cooper has changed their marketing. They used to only sell to small independent shops and would offer $70-$80 rebates 3-4 times each year. With small shop pricing and the rebate it was hard to buy anything else. They now only sell to larger tire stores and I couldn't get a good price on them when I looked in November. I haven't noticed anymore rebates lately either.

I had just about decided to go with Falken Wildpeak. Those get a lot of good reviews on several of the truck forums and are priced right. But I ran across a deal on the new Pirelli tire. They were cheaper than either Cooper or Falken. About $400 less than BFG KO2. I'm pleased with them.
Posted By: Quak Re: Cooper Discoverer AT3 tires - 04/02/20
Wow...I’ve run them for years and am surprised by some of the comments. Matter of fact when my family still owned a garage we used to sell them...along with bfg, Michelin.

I think they are a better tire than the Michelin Ltx at2 which sucks, and on par with the bfg all terrain in terms of tread life and off road performance. The bfg has a tougher sidewall though and is better aired down. It’s a legit 65k tire as the warranty suggests if you rotate them. Made in the US too if that matters

The Michelin defender is the best tire money can buy if you don’t want an off road or all terrain tread pattern

How often do you guys rotate? My current BFG ATs will be shelled at about 60k (pretty good!) but I’ll likely replace with at3 as I don’t have to get a load range e in the cooper so can save some weight

I rotate every 10,000 miles whn I do the oil fwiw
Nonsense.

Toyo m 55.
I have six of the on my dually carrying a 4000# truck camper and I like them, except in the snow..After my first trip up the hill in the snow with ice,I came back and had them siped and now there a decent tire with great traction..They are wearing awesome especially with all the weight..
My brother never liked the cooper in the rain fwiw...I never had an issue.
Always have the tires rotated at each oil change. They will last longer when rotated, especially carrying a heavy load. ..
Originally Posted by JMR40
I got 57,000 out of my last set on my F150. Could have easily gotten another 5,000, but put new tires on in November before hunting season and any chance of snow. I did about the same on my Tacoma. I've had them on other trucks too. Some of the older tires I could never get to balance, but the newer AT/3 is a much better tire than previous versions.

But... I didn't go with Cooper in November. Cooper has changed their marketing. They used to only sell to small independent shops and would offer $70-$80 rebates 3-4 times each year. With small shop pricing and the rebate it was hard to buy anything else. They now only sell to larger tire stores and I couldn't get a good price on them when I looked in November. I haven't noticed anymore rebates lately either.

I had just about decided to go with Falken Wildpeak. Those get a lot of good reviews on several of the truck forums and are priced right. But I ran across a deal on the new Pirelli tire. They were cheaper than either Cooper or Falken. About $400 less than BFG KO2. I'm pleased with them.

that makes sense. my local tire shop allways had them so I always ran them. good tires . tried michelins one time, too soft and the sidewalls sunburned bad (arizona blue skys at 7000 feet)

Now they carry tire from thailand I think, can't remember the name.
I think cooper is about as good as hankook in the snow, way better than toyo. I never get more than 30k-35k out of any AT’s, so it’s coopers lately. I’m trying a set of pro-comps for summer tires, they were cheap anyway. Winter I run studs.
Posted By: bkraft Re: Cooper Discoverer AT3 tires - 04/02/20
Had several sets on several rigs I like em. In South Central Kansas snow isn't too much of an issue.
Michelin all the way here. Set of Defenders on one SUV and LTX's on the other IIRC. I've ran Michelin's for years. Dad had a set of Discoverer's on a Buick several years back and they didn't last worth a dang compared to Michelin's.
Posted By: JMUPT Re: Cooper Discoverer AT3 tires - 04/02/20
I'm on my 2nd set on my 2013 Ram 1500. I got 60k on my 1st set and currently have 50k on my second set. No complaints from me, they have served me well.
Had them in a C load range on my F150 and got about 86k out of them which I couldn't believe. Tow occasionally but not much. Rotated religiously every 5k.

Have the XLT version now. So far, so good.
I have them on my Dodge 3/4. I've had better tires for traction and I don't think they'll get the miles that I've got on others in the past.
Be aware that Cooper has a Discoverer ATW for winter conditions. Additional siping, etc for snow and ice.
After a few thousand miles the got really noisy..wore out too fast also...only got 30 k and they were bald..
Big cooper fan here...looking at tires to day load range e ...thinking tire rack dick creek...fun country ..18 32nds ! Made in coopers factory i hear! 16 265 75.....may buy them tomorrow, anit found nothing bad about them yet ,while looking online, i got the high dollar michlens on the truck now ...beware shocked of heavy rain and standing water
Oh yea ..in run the tread down on k20's in less that 2.5 months ...sams replaced them for free..the next week i sold all 4 and got me the milischen skates ...lol...
Posted By: CRS Re: Cooper Discoverer AT3 tires - 04/02/20
I am not a fan of Coopers or BF Goodrich A/T's.

I have been running Falkens lately and really like them. Had over 45K and still going on my last truck. Put a set on my new 1/2 ton GMC 3.0 diesel. Only 3K on the latest set but traveled to TX and back just fine and handles fantastic in the snow. I have 10 ply as I tow, and got tired of trashing lighter tires in the mountains and at the ranch.

Have heard good things about Hankook and Toyo.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Cooper Discoverer AT3 tires - 04/02/20
Ran them for almost 20 years on the Dodge Cummins 2500 4wd - pulled HEAVY loads at times and drove some of the time in big snow and mud - they were dependable and wore fairly well - could not compare mileage because I used none other and tend to replace well before worn down.. The days of the heavy work for the truck are over and it is now in the high desert where there will be little snow or mud - may try Hankook or Falken when next needed.
Posted By: DBT Re: Cooper Discoverer AT3 tires - 04/02/20
I'm quite happy with mine. I'll get another set when these wear out.
I put a set of these pieces of [bleep] on one of my F-150s, and in trying to avoid an azzhole who ran a red light they broke loose and I skidded into a light pole. MANY times I've taken that same curve at higher speeds in one or another of my other vehicles with no squirrelyness..
After that truck was totalled I moved the tires to another of our F-150s for exactly 3 weeks until it too wouldn't take off from a dead stop without breaking loose...
Did I mention PIECE of FING [bleep]???
Posted By: Dre Re: Cooper Discoverer AT3 tires - 04/02/20
Wouldn’t buy them again. Had them on ‘15 Cummins 4x
They wore out too fast and I had a shake at 75 when cruising on the highway. Wasn’t the wheels and I couldn’t get them to balance.
After hours and hours on the phone and in shop.
Cooper pretty much told me to go pound sand.
My new falken wild peak are wearing nicely, quiet and still great traction off road
Posted By: BluMtn Re: Cooper Discoverer AT3 tires - 04/02/20
I have been running Cooper SST PRO's and I get about 40,000 miles and that is towing, gravel, and mud. Work well in the snow also plus they are E rated.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Cooper Discoverer AT3 tires - 04/02/20
Interesting - there may be some differences in wear factors and even traction effects among differing styles of the Coopers - but that much difference? Different strokes? Driving abilities and styles may vary greatly, and so ???
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: Cooper Discoverer AT3 tires - 04/02/20
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Be aware that Cooper has a Discoverer ATW for winter conditions. Additional siping, etc for snow and ice.

Was looking lately, appears that Cooper has dropped the AT/W and replaced them with the AT3 4S. And yes, there are different sub-models in the AT3 line, so you may not all be talking about the same tires.
Posted By: JTman Re: Cooper Discoverer AT3 tires - 04/02/20
I put a set of AT3 4S's on about 5k miles ago, I thought they were a good deal. So far so good, we haven't had much of a winter here to speak of this year though so I don't have a lot of experience in the snow with them.
Posted By: 2five7 Re: Cooper Discoverer AT3 tires - 04/02/20
Are they the new version, or are they closing out the old style? The newer version is much better tire! I have a set of AT3 XLT on one truck, and a set of the AT3 4S on my other truck, both excellent tires, probably the best all around tire I've ever owned.
Xlt is just the bigger sizes I think
My FX4 is on its second set of E rated AT3s. First set lasted between 60 and 70K miles. Been all over both Big Bend parks, State and National, including Black Gap and River Road in the National Park. No drips, no runs no errors. I'll get another set if I live that long.
Posted By: DBT Re: Cooper Discoverer AT3 tires - 04/02/20
Originally Posted by CCCC
Interesting - there may be some differences in wear factors and even traction effects among differing styles of the Coopers - but that much difference? Different strokes? Driving abilities and styles may vary greatly, and so ???

You could probably ask the question about any brand or style of tire and get the same range of responses. Or anything else for that matter, just stay away from religion, haha.
Been using AT3's for years. First set had >60k miles when they were replaced. I have around 10-15k on the new set and are still going strong. They are rotated around 6-7k miles and are Range E's.

Keep the tires air pressure to spec and rotate them and you will get the mileage out of them. They are also great in snow & ice.

Great tires!!!
My guide i Wyoming had them on his older Explorer sport truck. Rain, light gumbo, rocks, steep up and down, and he used 4-wheel drive a total of about 15 minutes over four days. I'd say they work.
These are the Cooper Discoverer AT3 LT's, E range. Going to wait a bit as I am not driving much right now.... If Michelin goes on sale then I will pick the Defenders. If not then the Cooper's. Thanks all for the input. I know the folks here actually own them and drive on them. Web site tire seller/company reviews not so sure.
Originally Posted by smithrjd

I had them on my truck and after a while they would shake rattle and bounce at highway speeds. I did the opposite, I went to Michelins and never went back. The difference was night and day for road travel. The coopers vibrated on the front no matter how well they were ballanced. As soon as I got Michelins, it stopped. They have lasted longer, too. You get what you pay for.,
I've had 2 sets. I didn't get a ton of miles out of either set but they were decent for the money. I have Toyo's now and like them allot more.
I like the AT3. They are my winter tires. Got hankook mounted on other rim's. Hate the hankook tires. They wear well but suck IMO for mud.

I just had good luck with coopers.
Anyone mention the Toyo 55 yet? Don't get much better than that for an AT
Posted By: ISRO Re: Cooper Discoverer AT3 tires - 04/03/20
60K and climbing on a set of Duratracs
Posted By: viking Re: Cooper Discoverer AT3 tires - 04/03/20
The Tundra I bought has Mastercraft? tires on it. I really like them.

It seems that Copper tires wear out faster then some.

Running two sets of these now.....

Goodyear Ultra Terrains..Discount Tire exclusive

Tacoma & Lexus GX 460.....LT (E rated)

My other choice would be the Cooper ST Maxx w/3 ply sidewall

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
My Coopers (ST Maxx) were done after 30k miles. Just put on a set of the Falken AT3W’s. Ride/noise is good at this point (only about 500 miles). They were $217 each for 295/70r18. About $110 cheaper (per tire) than the Cooper’s.

I don’t mind spending extra for tires that LAST (Michelins), but not for 30k mile tires.

These are on a 2015 Ram 3500.

Falkin WP 3's are highly rated snow flake tire......

I've always liked BFG KO2's also......

some not so much......
© 24hourcampfire