Home
Posted By: Rock Chuck alcohol fuel - 04/02/20
When Home Depot still had it, they had denatured alcohol and fuel alcohol. Is there a difference? I know the denatured is roughly 50% ethanol and 50% methanol. What do they do different for the fuel version?

It's been 50 years since my last college chemistry course. I sort of remember some chem students taking methanol and propanol from the lab and using some process to make a passable ethanol - which, after testing for purity, then ended up in the punch bowl at a dry campus party.
Posted By: Savage_Hunter Re: alcohol fuel - 04/02/20
check this link.... https://www.thoughtco.com/what-is-denatured-alcohol-p2-603999

all the denatured I have been familiar with was 95% ethanol, but I looked it up to make sure.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: alcohol fuel - 04/02/20
To go higher than 95% ethanol takes lots of work. A can of alcohol from the paint section is all you need. Just don't drink it. Buy Everclear if you want to fuel your stove and get brave for the apocalypse.

50:50? Don't believe so.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: alcohol fuel - 04/02/20
The industrial denatured stuff sold at Home Depot is listed at about 50% methanol. There are other chemicals they use in other brands. Denaturing is nothing more than adding something so you can't drink it. I'm just curious about what they call fuel alcohol. Is it something different or just a different label?

Klean-StripĀ® Denatured Alcohol has between 40 - 50% ethanol and 50 - 55% methanol.
100% by weight.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: alcohol fuel - 04/02/20
"Denatured" alcohol is ethanol that has a poison added to it to prevent people from drinking it. Most (all?) fuel alcohol is denatured for the same reason. No methanol in fuel alcohol that I am aware of...
Posted By: mirage243 Re: alcohol fuel - 04/02/20
Fuel alcohol is between 98 and 99 percent methanol, it is very cheap. I buy it in 55 gallon drums for about 1.70 per gallon.
Posted By: horse1 Re: alcohol fuel - 04/02/20
Originally Posted by mirage243
Fuel alcohol is between 98 and 99 percent methanol, it is very cheap. I buy it in 55 gallon drums for about 1.70 per gallon.

What do you run with it? Race-car, daily driver, ???????
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
The industrial denatured stuff sold at Home Depot is listed at about 50% methanol. There are other chemicals they use in other brands. Denaturing is nothing more than adding something so you can't drink it. I'm just curious about what they call fuel alcohol. Is it something different or just a different label?

Klean-StripĀ® Denatured Alcohol has between 40 - 50% ethanol and 50 - 55% methanol.
100% by weight.

Yep, SDS says 30-60% each.
Please call Klean-Strip and find out WTF? LOL
Originally Posted by horse1

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: horse1 Re: alcohol fuel - 04/02/20
Originally Posted by horse1

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Looks like fun!!
Posted By: deadlift_dude Re: alcohol fuel - 04/02/20
Denatured alcohol has often had poisons other than methanol that will not be removed via distillation.
Posted By: butchlambert1 Re: alcohol fuel - 04/02/20
Why would you want to use it as fuel. It does take about double the volume of gasoline to produce the same energy.
Posted By: MikeL2 Re: alcohol fuel - 04/02/20
Originally Posted by butchlambert1
Why would you want to use it as fuel. It does take about double the volume of gasoline to produce the same energy.

Octane. Very high octane rating and a cooling effect with direct injection engines.
Originally Posted by butchlambert1

Not true.
While it burns hot its not explosive like gas. Much safer in an accident
Posted By: Brazos Re: alcohol fuel - 04/02/20
I think what you see sold by the gallon in hardware store marked "fuel" is intended for use in alcohol stoves and lamps.
Posted By: billhilly Re: alcohol fuel - 04/02/20
Home Depot doesn't sell it anymore? I used to use it to clean parts I was rust bluing. Where do you get it now?
They sell it but they're out, both in store and online. People are buying it for a disinfectant.
Posted By: billhilly Re: alcohol fuel - 04/03/20
Ahh, that makes sense. I doubt I'll be doing any Bluing for anybody until the plague is over anyway.
Posted By: Irving_D Re: alcohol fuel - 04/03/20
I was actually curious about the difference between dry gas and rubbing alcohol
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: alcohol fuel - 04/04/20
If you need some methane, I usually have a little extra.
© 24hourcampfire