Home
Apart from what is happening in Alaska for spring bear and the Washington state bear closure, Nebraska closure for Turkey, Oregon effectively shut down all national forests. I just found out about this now.

It's being reported on other social media platforms that people are hearing rumors that Colorado may cancel all OTC hunts and likely national forests next but no confirmation- and I've been on hold today with Colorado for over 45 min with 18 people on the line ahead of me and finally just got disconnected.

https://www.oregonlive.com/travel/2...d-heres-how-the-decisions-were-made.html

By Friday, March 27, all 11 national forests in Oregon, as well as the five in Washington, had effectively closed to the public.

Anyone here have a lead on specific states that might be shutting down their seasons? I know Huntinfool had shared some preliminary info, but looks like States are not sharing a lot of detail at this point.
Spring turkey on hold in WA.
Spring turkey is a “go” in Ks.
This fall will be my last chance to big game hunt...if I were to draw a tag, and I have an antelope point and one for the deer draw. I have 16 desert bighorn points.and 15 for California Bighorn. LOL...this would be the year I finally draw the tag, and watch, they'll close it all down. crazy
How could closing hunting help against corona 19 ?
We can still hunt if our survival depends on it. It does.
Less competition I suppose..
Nebraska turkey is still open for residents but the sale of non-resident turkey permits has been suspended.

https://www.nptelegraph.com/news/st...d285ea8-7372-11ea-97d1-cbf822a50c73.html

LINCOLN – The Nebraska Game and Parks Commission is suspending the sale of nonresident spring turkey hunting permits in a proactive effort to prevent the potential for the spread of the coronavirus disease, according to a press release. This is being done by the Commission in coordination with Gov. Pete Ricketts Executive Order No. 20-11 to help protect the health of Nebraskans by discouraging unnecessary travel.

The agency in late March closed all parks offices and commission offices; service and education centers; and other facilities temporarily. Also closed in April, with a possible extension period, are state park and recreation area lodges, cabins and public shower buildings.

State parks, recreation areas and campgrounds remain open at this time, as are a limited number of public restrooms, which are sanitized regularly per Centers for Disease Control and Protection recommendations.
My county just shut down the boat ramps. Stripers are running. I'm pissed and want a refund on my fishing license and boat registration and boat ramp pass. This is bs.

Dry run for totalitarianism
Originally Posted by 163bc

The company line is; they don't want you to travel to/through small communities which have limited medical resources.

Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player.
CO game and fish sent out press release yesterday that rumors of hunting season closing were false and may have been started on social media platforms as an April Fools prank.
NY state Turkey season starts May 1st and I haven't seen any changes to it as of today. For me it's a great way to social distance myself out in the woods with nobody else around to spook them. Just got my first trail cam picture of a turkey in a long time out back about 9:30 this morning.

I suppose the traveling to and from and the stops in between!

Originally Posted by CanadianLefty
Apart from what is happening in Alaska for spring bear and the Washington state bear closure, Nebraska closure for Turkey, Oregon effectively shut down all national forests. I just found out about this now.

It's being reported on other social media platforms that people are hearing rumors that Colorado may cancel all OTC hunts and likely national forests next but no confirmation- and I've been on hold today with Colorado for over 45 min with 18 people on the line ahead of me and finally just got disconnected.

https://www.oregonlive.com/travel/2...d-heres-how-the-decisions-were-made.html

By Friday, March 27, all 11 national forests in Oregon, as well as the five in Washington, had effectively closed to the public.

Anyone here have a lead on specific states that might be shutting down their seasons? I know Huntinfool had shared some preliminary info, but looks like States are not sharing a lot of detail at this point.

Nebraska spring turkey has been shut down for non residents only. Those in the state are being asked to self quarantine. Of course this is archery only as the shotgun season hasn’t started for which all non resident permits have been cancelled. They are probably going to shut down LAKE MCCONAUGHY and no non resident fishing licenses will be sold or revoked. Smart move imho.
Originally Posted by Morewood
My county just shut down the boat ramps. Stripers are running. I'm pissed and want a refund on my fishing license and boat registration and boat ramp pass. This is bs.

bingo! first one was 911 with resulting "patriot act"
They have used the "covid" to own your ass..... HELLO?
Far as i know... MS is still ThunderCat go for turkey.
What about the children and gramps and grammy , and I have copd and diabetes I could die..... better everyone stay home and follow government orders ....
In SC, we dont GAF.
We will be hunting and it'll suck to be a DNR agent if they cancel a season.
SCDNR best stock up on truck tires.
Originally Posted by 22250rem
NY state Turkey season starts May 1st and I haven't seen any changes to it as of today. For me it's a great way to social distance myself out in the woods with nobody else around to spook them. Just got my first trail cam picture of a turkey in a long time out back about 9:30 this morning.

Youth weekend is April 25'th & 26'th. My daughter is looking forward to it, we have a "backyard" over 100 acres. Will be checking cameras and setting a popup blind this werkend.
The forest service is still selling wood cutting permits! Our county owned boat launches are still open! Maybe not all counties, but my county feels fishing is acceptable social distancing! The forests are still open, not the campgrounds where close contact is the norm! Who camps in those anyway? There arent enough officers to patrol the thousands of miles forest we have. Two Oregon southern counties combined, cover more land mass than the state of Vermont! The sheriffs have more important things to do than look for remote campers! Nor do they have the personnel or budget.
The bigger picture here folks.... this obviously isn't about the "covid"
Originally Posted by irfubar

Agreed!
South Dakota archery turkey starts Saturday and firearms the following weekend.

Have an Alaska black bear hunt planned for June, but fully expecting it to be canceled. Even though the season is only closed through May at this time.
Short of life threatening emergencies (wrecks etc), our state police have been ordered to stay away. Looks like I can run to the neighboring town at 85mph and just wave and smile when I pass the LEO's.
1. PREmature, don't you think?

2. Hunting is ESSENTIAL.

3. Hunting is Social Distancing.

4. Hunting is going to happen.
I dare the mf'ers to close deer season in Alabama, that would be some funny sheit.
Canadian Lefty is a drama queen.
Originally Posted by 54Woody
CO game and fish sent out press release yesterday that rumors of hunting season closing were false and may have been started on social media platforms as an April Fools prank.

Hope So !!!
Originally Posted by Springcove

CRAP ! if I'd looked at WHO the op was.....I'd skipped this.
I allways wondered what LONG PIG tasted like. Might find out sooner or later..
Alaska just reversed the no bear hunting order for Alaskan residents only. Now it only applies to non res.
Originally Posted by jwall
Originally Posted by Springcove

CRAP ! if I'd looked at WHO the op was.....I'd skipped this.

Ya he posted the exact same thing on the general hunting forum but hasn’t had any responses.
don't think you'll see AZGFD stopping any hunts. they are 100% funded by license and permit sales and they act like it.
Originally Posted by Brazos

The company line is; they don't want you to travel to/through small communities which have limited medical resources.

Don't shoot me, I'm only the piano player.

Right. Same here. My Alaska pilot told me that he'd get tar and feathered and shot if he was flying non-residents into his small community where there are no ventilators or supplies around. The town folk are concerned. I don't blame them.

Hey, whoever called me a drama queen...now that's funny. smile Thanks for the laugh. I live in California so 95% of all of my hunting is done out of state and usually by plane but sometimes I need to drive, especially when transporting Elk back.

I am concerned and have cancelled tickets with Alaska Airlines already as a result. I can't see how non-residents would even bother applying in draws given the current uncertainty. I will likely just hunt pig, black bear and deer here locally.
That biatch half whit $hitmer better tour the whole state and gather up every turkey in the next 3 weeks if that is going to happen. Good luck with that when private land means private.

Tonight she said law enforcement could give up to $1000 fines to enforce social distancing. One sheriff already said they will not be writing tickets or arresting, only advising.
Originally Posted by Morewood

Love fishing for stripers in the delta.. What a shame
The national forests in Oregon aren't closed..Just the improved facilities...Campgrounds,trailheads,bathrooms, ect ect...The forest is still free to roam and hunt to your hearts content..

Its the boat ramps that have me pissed off.. The river is open to boat and fish,if you can get to it that is.. frown
Originally Posted by Brazos
Spring turkey on hold in WA.

For youth only at the moment from what I understand.
I am hearing stories from around Calif.
Hiway 168 preparing to close below Shaver Lake.
Morro bay boat launch closed.
So. Cal beach parking lots closed.
Originally Posted by ringworm
In SC, we dont GAF.

I am certainly glad you don't speak for everyone from SC.
The application period is now open in Idaho for moose, sheep, and goats. Deer, elk, and pronghorn applications will open May 1.

Some wolf seasons are open year round. The rest will close during July but are open the other 11 months. You can take 15 wolves per year. Come and get them.

Big game hunting in Idaho is an excellent way to self isolate, one of the best.
Originally Posted by Santiam
The national forests in Oregon aren't closed..Just the improved facilities...Campgrounds,trailheads,bathrooms, ect ect...The forest is still free to roam and hunt to your hearts content.. frown

Santiam, is the article wrong? Here's the quote:

The response that came Thursday, March 26, was not only to close all campgrounds, trailheads and day-use areas in the gorge – what are typically referred to as “developed recreation sites” – but to shut down all forest land completely.

Pawlitz said the strong response stemmed from the way the gorge is set up. Unlike other national forests in Oregon, there are no winding forest roads with dispersed campsites and remote hiking trails. Everything is accessed through busy highways, which forces a bottleneck at the entry points.

“People will try to use creative access points to trails,” like bushwhacking through the forest from the side of the road, Pawlitz said. “When we had to look at the big picture, we realized that there wasn’t a simple way to do a developed site closure.”
That is just along the gorge thru the tourist areas...The main national forests are open,just not the facilities..
Originally Posted by luv2safari
This fall will be my last chance to big game hunt...if I were to draw a tag, and I have an antelope point and one for the deer draw. I have 16 desert bighorn points.and 15 for California Bighorn. LOL...this would be the year I finally draw the tag, and watch, they'll close it all down. crazy

I don't like the sound of that at all. I wish you the best of luck.
Originally Posted by rrconductor
In SC, we dont GAF.

Same here. That's shooting the messenger. It's not the DNR's fault, it's a requirement enforced by Gov't to protect our societies. Still sucks, but not a reason to take it out on the DNR or to break any laws.
My God, please stop.
That is just along the gorge thru the tourist areas...The main national forests are open,just not the facilities..

Thank you. Hope you're right. I applied for Oregon raffle tags before this blew up.

Thank you. Hope you're right. I applied for Oregon raffle tags before this blew up.

I really hope they don't shut us down. I look forward to my elk hunt every year!! Was hearing it on the radio today though. They are definitely going to shut down the national forests here PDQ... Sucks...

They are getting ready to shut the NF down buddy...
I don't see it and haven't heard it...Right now the beaches and forests are open,just the facilities are closed. In the beaches case,most facilities are also the access points. .If you can think of one rational reason to close the forests I would like to hear it. smile

Once the weather breaks,looks like Wednesday, I am going bear hunting. smile
I don't see it and haven't heard it...Right now the beaches and forests are open,just the facilities are closed. In the beaches case,most facilities are also the access points. .If you can think of one rational reason to close the forests I would like to hear it. smile

Once the weather breaks,looks like Wednesday, I am going bear hunting. smile

Santiam,

you coming over Lake county way?

Geno
Originally Posted by Valsdad
[quote=Santiam
Santiam,

Geno

Yes,but not until September..In its infinite wisdom ,ODFW has seen fit to offer 2 general season fall bear tags good for the entire state.. We have a trip planned and will stay there a week or two...With two tags I don't have to be so picky. wink

I have a SW spring tag so will be on the coast..
Originally Posted by Valsdad
[quote=Santiam
Santiam,

Geno

Yes,but not until September..In its infinite wisdom ,ODFW has seen fit to offer 2 general season fall bear tags good for the entire state.. We have a trip planned and will stay there a week or two...With two tags I don't have to be so picky. wink

I have a SW spring tag so will be on the coast..

Good luck, I hope you get some nice days.

Spring, as you know, can be a real "bear" over that way.

I think it was around '93 or '94 in Humboldt county I counted 9 days of partial sunshine, if just a peek, out of 45 days in a row of rain and mist.

Enjoy the hunt, nice color phase bears over there in NorCal, imagine that holds true in SW OR too.

Geno
In SC, we dont GAF.

He speaks for most, you're the minority.
In SC, we dont GAF.

it's a requirement enforced by Gov't to protect our society.

No it ain't, dumbass.

It would seem that hunting would be the ultimate act of social distancing.

Originally Posted by irfubar

Nope. This is a democrap effort of exploiting a situation to exercise more control.
Hunting is a go here in PA so far. They did close state run shooting ranges on state game lands due to no staffing and social distancing. Millions of acres open here.
I'll be hitting the ground hogs with my AR14 after some eggs and smoked salmon.
Originally Posted by KenMi
That biatch half whit $hitmer better tour the whole state and gather up every turkey in the next 3 weeks if that is going to happen. Good luck with that when private land means private.

Tonight she said law enforcement could give up to $1000 fines to enforce social distancing. One sheriff already said they will not be writing tickets or arresting, only advising.

Got an email from the Michigan DNR saying spring turkey is open - and suggested limited travel.

State state allowed me to buy my license on April 1st knowing my address and that Area K is 200 miles away.

If I‘m suppose to limit travel then the state should have prevented me from getting that license.

If my motel is open I’m going. I’ll keep everything under the tonneau cover and put a pack of TP on the back seat. If I get stopped I’ll just say I’m taking TP to a family member who’s out. crazy
Both the WV and VA orders exempt outdoor activities from the shutdown. We'll continue to fish, and in a couple of weeks I'll be hitting the turkey woods. I suspect more hunters will be out with so many staying home from work and school. We'll see.

My IWLA chapter has issued rules for distancing and cancelled matches and other events.

My grandson is going for turkey tomorrow with my new Henry .410, on private land.

Originally Posted by Terryk
Hunting is a go here in PA so far. They did close state run shooting ranges on state game lands due to no staffing and social distancing. Millions of acres open here.
I'll be hitting the ground hogs with my AR14 after some eggs and smoked salmon.

😛

You and Good Ol' Joe, right?
We got to have deer meat for sausage!!
Oh man, if our hunter-hating, buck-toothed governor gets wind of this, it'll be all over for us in NJ. Bad enough that he closed down all State Wildlife Management Areas to bear hunting last year, land that we hunters and fishermen paid for with OUR license and permit fees!!! mad
I'd rather be isolated hunting elk than in my house.............
Hawaii cancels spring hunt too. An emerging list of state cancellations...

STATE CANCELS AXIS DEER HUNT DUE TO COVID-19 RISKS
(HONOLULU) –The 2020 deer rifle season is being cancelled due to concerns over the spread of COVID-19.
Hawaii cancels spring hunt too. An emerging list of state cancellations...

STATE CANCELS AXIS DEER HUNT DUE TO COVID-19 RISKS
(HONOLULU) –The 2020 deer rifle season is being cancelled due to concerns over the spread of COVID-19.

Another state festering from democrap ways!
In SC, we dont GAF.

Really? Your gonna slash dnr tires?? Wtf is wrong with you? If I caught someone slashing my tires I’d beat the brakes off em. Fuuckin idiot
Originally Posted by Judman
In SC, we dont GAF.

Really? Your gonna slash dnr tires?? Wtf is wrong with you? If I caught someone slashing my tires I’d beat the brakes off em. Fuuckin idiot

You folks in Washington just bow down to .gov anyway.
No I roll how I roll, I’ll be huntin alright, but I sure as fuuck won’t be slashing anyone’s tires.
Originally Posted by Judman
In SC, we dont GAF.

He's been picked on perpetually. https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...-bad-deal-with-ringworm-how-to-handle-it
Nebraska closes overnight camping.

https://panhandle.newschannelnebras...losing-overnight-camping-until-early-may

LINCOLN, Neb. – In a proactive effort to prevent the potential for spread of COVID-19 (coronavirus), the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission will prohibit overnight camping at state parks, state recreation areas and wildlife management areas starting Monday, April 6 through Friday, May 8, with a possible extension.

State parks and recreation areas will remain open for day use so guests may enjoy activities such as fishing, hiking, biking and wildlife viewing while maintaining proper physical distancing of at least 6 feet. A limited number of restrooms, which will be disinfected regularly using Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) protocols, will be available.
Everything is still on here in GA.

From the GA DNR website.

Top 3 things you need to know about Governor Kemp’s Shelter in Place Executive Order:
1. Outdoor exercise activities will include hunting, fishing, and boating, provided individuals maintain a distance of six (6) feet between all persons who are not occupants of the same household or residence.
2. Travel is permitted to perform hunting, fishing, and boating activities.
3. Camping is also allowable on our WMAs and PFAs, provided individuals maintain a distance of six (6) feet between all persons who are not occupants of the same household or residence.
It's spring bear hunting here. It's road hunting. Guys have to take their wives hunting. You can add the story line.
© 24hourcampfire