Home
Posted By: Rock Chuck by by apricots - 04/03/20
They've just started to bloom. It's 21 outside right now. This is the 3d year in a row that we likely won't have any.
Posted By: Ole_270 Re: by by apricots - 04/03/20
Got into the upper 20s here last night and the wild plums were blooming. Looks like sand plum jelly will be in short supply later this summer.
Posted By: slumlord Re: by by apricots - 04/03/20
That sucks

My peaches get frost nipped every year, every dang year
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: by by apricots - 04/03/20
Arn't apricots a mediterranean fruit?
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: by by apricots - 04/03/20
A lot of fruit blossoms can survive as low as 26 but this 21 is way too low.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: by by apricots - 04/03/20
Song by Don and Phil, wasn't it?
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: by by apricots - 04/03/20
We don't have the full "popcorn" bloom of 'cots here yet, and it only got down to 27 last night, so I still have hopes. But we've had more freeze-killed years than not in the past decade. We've been known to get frost as late as May 15, so this isn't over yet. Apricots, cherries, pears, and peaches, then apples all bloom in that period. Our orchards are turning into condos, but we're still a huge fruit-producing area of the state. Freezes hurt.
Last year we had a late frost down to low 20's when about everything was open. We lost the apricots, peaches, nectarines, and cherries. We had some apples but not a bumper crop. Pears and plums bloom later and they survived fine.
Posted By: hanco Re: by by apricots - 04/03/20
We’ve had rain issues in the spring, tomatoes killed from too much water the last few years. I hope the cold didn’t get all of your fruit!
Posted By: memtb Re: by by apricots - 04/03/20
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
They've just started to bloom. It's 21 outside right now. This is the 3d year in a row that we likely won't have any.

5 F, here this morning! Glad I didn’t plant the tomatoes yet! grin Nothing even trying to bloom yet, and the bees are getting restless! memtb
Posted By: Wannabebwana Re: by by apricots - 04/03/20
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck

Slavyanka’s mother was saying the same about their apricot trees in Ukraine. Too bad.
This “global warming” crisis is getting pretty bad! mad memtb
Posted By: Ralphie Re: by by apricots - 04/03/20
Had 1 this morning at 6am.
Posted By: BeanMan Re: by by apricots - 04/03/20
Apricots have been blooming for a week in Palisade, we hit 27 this morning, they’re probably ok. The Palisade peaches will be blooming very soon.
Posted By: CraigD Re: by by apricots - 04/03/20
RC, sorry to hear about the low temps - it was 17 here in Idaho Falls this morning.

My apricots are showing no sign of blooming so far. I have had bumper crops the last two years. I had all I could use until the birds found them and had to sample every remaining apricot on the tree.

My wife made apricot leather that I am still snacking on!
We had a warm winter and things seem to be earlier this year. That's never good. We have 2 apricot trees, a Sweetheart and an other larger variety. Sweethearts always bloom earlier. The other one won't bloom for another week or 2. After it warms up this afternoon, I need to pull some blossoms apart and see if they're black inside.
Posted By: ironbender Re: by by apricots - 04/03/20
Who put the ape in apricot?
Posted By: Terryk Re: by by apricots - 04/03/20
They can grow peaches about 50 miles south of here. We usually loose most. Even pears and apples can take a hit here, but not as bad as the peaches. Actually we like to get peaches from Gettysburg or Bedford, about a 90 minute south drive.
Posted By: Daveinjax Re: by by apricots - 04/03/20
Any of you try watering the tree for the couple of hours of damaging cold ? Here in Florida they’ll set sprinklers on the trees overnight to save the trees. If just a couple of degrees will make a difference it seems to work.
Posted By: renegade50 Re: by by apricots - 04/03/20
Nothing worse than a hard killing frost after plants start to bud or bloom.
Really sucks when oaks and acorns get hit hard.
Specially the effects down the line in deer season....
Posted By: renegade50 Re: by by apricots - 04/03/20
Originally Posted by ironbender

Nature did....
Lol!!!

Posted By: slumlord Re: by by apricots - 04/03/20
Remember that time you turned a jack in the box, to a crap in the box?
Posted By: wyote Re: by by apricots - 04/03/20
[quote=memtb

5 F, here this morning! Glad I didn’t plant the tomatoes yet! grin Nothing even trying to bloom yet, and the bees are getting restless! memtb [/quote]

memtb
I'm across the basin from you. We had -1 below this morning
Posted By: rong Re: by by apricots - 04/03/20
Can you water/wet them ? Not sure if the blossoms can handle it.
Some of the apple farmers here get creative,also a couple brush fires upwind,sometimes it is only a couple degrees that can make a difference
Posted By: Morewood Re: by by apricots - 04/03/20
No apricots?

That's the pits.
My trees are right next to a canal that has some water in it. The heat from the water can change things if the breeze is right. It remains to be seen if that happened this time. We have more frost forecast for tonight but not nearly as cold as last night.
Originally Posted by wyote
[quote=memtb

5 F, here this morning! Glad I didn’t plant the tomatoes yet! grin Nothing even trying to bloom yet, and the bees are getting restless! memtb

memtb
I'm across the basin from you. We had -1 below this morning
[/quote]

Which direction.....across the basin?
18 miles down the road in Thermopolis, they were in negative numbers. We’re usually several degrees cooler than they are! memtb
Originally Posted by Morewood
No apricots?

That's the pits.

Laetrile?
Posted By: Salty303 Re: by by apricots - 04/03/20
Trying to snow today. The fruit trees are sitting there shivering hardly any leaf out let alone flower buds so I got that goin for me
Posted By: Valsdad Re: by by apricots - 04/03/20

Same guy that put the ram in the rama lama ding dong?

Just a wild ass guess.

Geno
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Same guy that put the ram in the rama lama ding dong?

Just a wild ass guess.

Geno

Either way, I'd like to shake his hand.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: by by apricots - 04/03/20
Originally Posted by Salty303
Trying to snow today. The fruit trees are sitting there shivering hardly any leaf out let alone flower buds so I got that goin for me

Not a leaf here yet. Last two weeks we've had two nights above freezing I think, past two were down to 17F by sunrise. Not conducive to fruit trees blooming.

I do hope these apple grafts take. Local ag folks had a workshop last month. Trying to save some old varieties around here. If the tree is still living 80 years on, it might just be suited for our climate. They got commercial rootstock and local folks donated scions for the grafts.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

It looks like this one might take, as the buds look to be popping out of the grafting tape: The other one I'm holding out hope for, seems like it might just be a slower variety.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

They get taken inside the well house at night, and when cover the greenhouse frame this week or next they'll start spending their nights out there.

Won't go in the ground until next year, with a good screen around them to keep the deer and bunnies away. Might screen the bottom of the hole as I lost a cherry tree to gophers the first year I planted it. mad

gardening up here is never not interesting. My sister in SoCal already has 1' tall tomato plants going. My asparagus hasn't even come up yet.

Geno
Originally Posted by 5sdad
Originally Posted by Morewood
No apricots?

That's the pits.

Laetrile?

Not my early tree. It's a Sweetheart that has edible seeds. Laetrile is the stuff that the body converts into cyanide and these don't have it. My later tree does. The seeds on this one have the appearance and taste of almonds.
Posted By: FlyboyFlem Re: by by apricots - 04/03/20
We have a small orchard only 100 trees presently but cut our Apricots down years ago..The Moorpark variety seemed most frost hardy for us here in Eastern Ne but like all bloom very early..Our log book since early 80's shows a crop one out three years and that's generous certainly wasn't worth the upkeep..
© 24hourcampfire