Home
I’m Australian! Who knew?
"They're eatin' them not screwin them ta death Nicole"
I watched that one the other day. Some great cat hunting vids on YouTube.
Originally Posted by Dutch

Hey, we got the feline curse here too, Mr.
I used to follow Steve Irwin somewhat until he had a show about this very issue.
He was someplace telling about the damage to the fauna by feral cats and where ever he was they were everywhere.
He caught several alive during the show and then they showed them being released at the end.
The end of his cred with me.
Like cane toads I reckon everyone needs to be killed!
I want to shoot some monkeys. They remind me of poodles but I can’t shoot poodles.
Originally Posted by jaguartx

Hey, we got the feline curse here too, Mr.

Feral cats should be shot on sight.
You'll never control them, but you need to make a dent in them. Just like coyotes, but they are worse on small game and birds.
My old man has a lardass house cat, I didn’t think she could stalk a plate of lasagna.

She killed a medium sized cottontail yesterday. She rarely goes out, but damn I couldn’t believe it. Must have been a special-needs rabbit. Maybe better off.
We would run across one when quail hunting. DRT
Originally Posted by slumlord
I want to shoot some monkeys. They remind me of poodles but I can’t shoot poodles.

I have always wanted to shoot Penguins. It must be that 5 years in catholic school.

mike r
LOL, I watched part of that yesterday or day before.
Fugg all the days run together, I can't remember.
2 weeks laid off so far.
Got a new scope, taking my CZ 455 to zero in............am about to hit the door and boogie to the range.
CCI quiet and it's my micro cougar popper.

One place we hunt has quail, quite a few. Off limits.
Landowner is hell on ferals.
Rules are, shoot on sight or don't come back.
Years ago DNR groung managers had .22 rifles in their trucks.
Heard it was for cat duty.
Wonder if the new fellas wage war on the cats.
Was kinda hush hush 30 yrs ago.

But every outdoorsman did it.
It was one's duty.
Kept them in check.
I had a male cat that followed me all around my place. That SOB could kill a squirrel in a heartbeat. He was twice as fast, could run one down, slap squirrel’s back feet out from under him, it was over.
When I was in high school, I had mallard ducks. When the ducklings would hatch, every cat in the county would converge upon our property. Anything from .22LR to 12 ga. 00buck, whatever was handy at that moment. They all worked well. Some of those "ferals" were wearing collars. Oh well!
We have "leash laws" and "tag" laws. If it aint in your yard, or on a leash, tagged. They must not love the creature. Same as your dog.
No collar, no tags. FERAL.
I used to be hell on dogs. Kind of asked God to forgive me for all that.

Sort of felt bad after seeing “have you seen this dog” poster on the stop signs and country store bulletin board.

All them times, I don’t recall a 5 lb tabby feral chasing deer. IDGAF about quail anyway, quail hunters hog up the good deer areas on the military base.

Thing is, I just never seen but maybe one cat in the woods in 35 years. Coyotes take care of the cats, And I kill them too.
Originally Posted by wyowinchester
We have "leash laws" and "tag" laws. If it aint in your yard, or on a leash, tagged. They must not love the creature. Same as your dog.

Pretty much how I feel about it, though I have live trapped and released cat that were obviously pets. I have a heart; I don't hate animals, but people letting their cats roam freely need to check that chit.
I have returned the "pets" to my neighbors. ONCE.
Originally Posted by wyowinchester

I believe the same. If you want it keep it off mine or it's just a moving target.
I shoot feral cats every chance I get at our play farm (1/4 section), some of them get really big. So far the .22 lr, .17 HMR, .260, .44 mag all make them dead.
Seems like the best way do get rid of cats is with a pair of good dogs.
Originally Posted by slumlord
My old man has a lardass house cat, I didn’t think she could stalk a plate of lasagna.

She killed a medium sized cottontail yesterday. She rarely goes out, but damn I couldn’t believe it. Must have been a special-needs rabbit. Maybe better off.

Slumlord,

You are one funny guy. Must be because I have much the same twisted sense of humor.

W. Bill
My grandson and his buds call them "Roof Rabbits" and are hell on them when they are pheasant hunting.
Cats < super calibri

They do exit at 25 yards and often the cat will run off...your property wink

silent
Guy shooting 180gr. Woodleigh bullet ??
I'd think a 17hornet/remington or 204 would work great .

Just got home from my hunting lease - killed three crows w/a 22-250 , - i just love a 22-250 - bet it would disamntle a feral cat .

The weirdos making death threats because of someone killing a feral cat - they need their head punched 2-3 times REALLY HARD ...
If a cat is outside...it’s feral
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Guy shooting 180gr. Woodleigh bullet ??
I'd think a 17hornet/remington or 204 would work great .

Just got home from my hunting lease - killed three crows w/a 22-250 , - i just love a 22-250 - bet it would disamntle a feral cat .

The weirdos making death threats because of someone killing a feral cat - they need their head punched 2-3 times REALLY HARD ...

You oughta see what a 22-250 HP does to one of the quail killing off black ones.
Originally Posted by Quak
If a cat is outside...it’s feral

Yep.
Cats < super calibri

silent

Hahaha. 5 mm pellet took one by the back yard bird feeder. It made it over the fence and into the middle of the street before falling and flopping a bit.

Folks walking their dogs with the kids that evening were nonpulsed.
That big cat hunt was 5 years ago.
Post of the year!!!!

I laughed, I cried.......
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Cats < super calibri

silent

Hahaha. 5 mm pellet took one by the back yard bird feeder. It made it over the fence and into the middle of the street before falling and flopping a bit.

Folks walking their dogs with the kids that evening were nonpulsed.

nonpulsed? No heart at all, eh? smile
Originally Posted by widrahthaar

One will do well enough if there's trees around. and an owner with a 12 ga. Though my old male has learned the big toms deserve some respect.....
Where I now live, shooting them is out of the question. Too many prying eyes. There was a big yellow tom that I got tired of chasing off the property, so I bought a box trap at Tractor Supply, a cheaply made Havahart copy. Caught him in it, and I was carrying the trap to the Jeep for a one-way ride to the river, when that cat repeatedly slammed himself against the trap door so hard that he actually bent it enough to be able to squeeze out and escape! He did stay away for awhile.

One will do well enough if there's trees around. and an owner with a 12 ga. Though my old male has learned the big toms deserve some respect.....

2 dogs are harder to escape.

My dogs have zero problems with any feral cats.
I have been killing cats all my life. I hate the damn things.
Jaguartx: Over the last 5 (five) decades I have shot more than my share of "field lions" (feral cats).
For some reason in the last coupla years I have slowed the rate at which I decide to eliminate these marauders.
I must be getting old.
Formerly my "rule of thumb" was "no collar - no live"!
I would guess I have put down around a hundred, over those decades of "eliminating" these un-natural predators.
Thus probably saving 10,000 song birds, game birds and rabbits.
Indeed they are THE problem but humans share much of the blame for the harm they do!
Since moving to Montana 23 (twenty three) years ago I have witnessed 3 (three) mass dumpings of unwanted kitten litters. Two near my rural home and one actually in the middle of town near me.
Folks simply drive to a spot, open the trunks of their cars, get the cardboard box out, open it up and tilt out the unwanted kitten litters to fend for themselves!
I have a recently taken picture on my new smart phone of a beautiful Red Fox chasing a big black feral cat into and through my neighbors Juniper Tams!
Sadly the feral cat eluded the Fox - for the time being.
I have seen Fox, Coyotes and birds of prey catching, killing and eating feral cats - but still they abound?
Some ranchers/farmers abide these "field lions" because they do keep down the mice and Ground Squirrels somewhat.
I still say - "no caller, no worth".
Keep after'em guys.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Ditch Tigers .
Cats have always been shoot on sight around here. But a few years back we got a couple female kittens for the barn. When they got old enough this big black Tom started showing up. I spared him, mostly cause I wanted some kittens. He was coming around for over a year before he finally let me pet him.

He still comes and goes as he pleases, and I'll miss him when he doesn't anymore.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
I lived on a nice cobblestone street in the Historic Old Northeast part of St Pete, FL replete with 100 yr old bungalows when I was finishing up college. I could walk to Coffee Pot Bayou and fish, net, go crabbing. spear or gig mullet when they were running, you name it. Helped my gf and I with our limited broke-azz college student budget.

My old landlord used to trap the feral cats and run them out to one of my favorite wade-fishing areas, Weedon Island. This, loooong before Weedon Island got built up. Nature took its course out there.

Yeah, after one of the "ferals" got at my gf's white dove through the cage, some of the ferals had collars. smile
Any "house" cat that's outside is a feral cat!
300 mag for cats?
I live trap the SOB feral (house cats) and then call the pound and they come and get them. If they have a collar they contact the owner and tell them to come and get the cat with the warning that the cat needs to stay indoors. The second time they get them it costs the owner $250.00 for bail. If there is a third time they keep the cat. Coming home tonight there was the neighbor's black cat on top of my bird feeder. Now the pound is closed because of the corona virus. I have caught this same cat twice already, this time his 9 lives are going to expire early.
Shooting loose cats would be a great retirement job. Songbird eatin mutha srekcuf.
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
That big cat hunt was 5 years ago.

That one was a different screw up. Had rabbits and quail coming in the yard in edge of town. Had a yellow Tom after them in the unfenced front yard fairly often. A front bedroom window faced the street and I started keeping it open ia few inches in the evenings.

One evening it had sprinkled and left a bit of water buy the curb on the far side, in front of the across neighbors yard, where it crouched to drink. I grabbed ole 5mm Betsy and lined up to fire. The cat looked up to my right down the street and ran over to my left about 15 yards and bunched up under the neighbor's BMW rear gear housing.

Well, I couldnt see much to the right of where the Tom had been due to a big dense shrub in the front flower garden and up to the right side of my front window.

I was already feeling the excitement of making Mr Tom pay so I put the cross hairs on the bottom of the gear housing to allow for drop and sent lead that said"kapop". Mr Tom squalled dashed out into the middle of my neighbor's yard and started hopping and going crazy as I looked up to see two other neighbors from three houses down suddenly steep into my field of view from the right where my Bush had covered their approach.

The look on the old man and his wifes face was priceless as they looked aghast at me. I'm pretty sure so was mine.
Dumdassed shot there Jaguar.
Are they hiring?

I dunno. .22 w/a can is pretty no fuss.

Saw a black one hop from ground to top of the fence when I took my recyclables out to the can yesterday. He stoped and looked back once to see if I was watching. Yep. I C U.

Headed west.. duly noted.
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Saw a black one hop from ground to top of the fence when I took my recyclables out to the can yesterday. He stoped and looked back once to see if I was watching. Yep. I C U.

I don't have a can for my 22's, so I use CB's. They work well enough at short range, especially when delivered Booth/Oswald style.
Originally Posted by local_dirt

Good on ya'. Keep up the good work!
Son and I were coyote calling one night when I heard him whisper "turn the light on" as soon as it flashed on he opened up with his 12 ga. I heard a screech then it was over. Big black and white tom cat with a collar on him. We were 2 miles from nearest house. That tom out weighed most bob cats I have killed.
Can't shoot them here, but I can trap them easily enough. Take them to the pound. True ferals get the Big Shot. Pets with collars or chips get their owners a call. The first jail break is $X. The Second is $2X, THird $3X, and so on.
Where I live now a feral must skin an eye for great horned owls, hawks, coyotes, foxes, autos if they beat all them they won't hear what just killed them.
A neighbor called our local animal control officer about the ongoing feral cat problem. He dropped off a Havahart trap and told her to take it to the county animal shelter. Told her he was too busy trapping cats at the local PRIVATELY OWNED motorsports park! The neighbor called the shelter and was told she'd be charged a $60 fee for dropping off a cat! Our tax dollars at work.
I have a friend, to whom I introduced to quality air rifles. He soon had a German RWS model 350. For late evening entertainment, he would visit his friends convenience store where numerous felines would show up to check out food scraps in the dumpster. He ran up some impressive body counts.
Well, they turned the Army out aginst Emu's once too.
Me and my buddies in high school shot the hell out of feral cats, Ditch Tigers we called them. We had a dog that would hunt them down for us, Thor, he found us lots of cats. Gawd, those were some good times!
Originally Posted by Alaskajim
Me and my buddies in high school shot the hell out of feral cats, Ditch Tigers we called them. We had a dog that would hunt them down for us, Thor, he found us lots of cats. Gawd, those were some good times!

Interesting, my black lab is named Thor and he hates cats.
© 24hourcampfire