Home
Posted By: Oldman03 Had a 'fire bug' last night - 04/04/20
Moving kinda slow this morning. Spent a good portion of last night chasing purposely set fires. First call came in around 9 pm, dumpsters on fire out in the middle of no-where. Grabbed an engine and headed that way. By the time I got there, another fellow, with the brush truck had made it and they had the fire all but put out. Brush truck throws fan belt and is down for the night. Turn around, drive back to station, put the engine up, and go home. Get a msg from fire chief that the neighboring fire district had a dumpster fire.

Ok, maybe whoever it is will quit for the night. Nope, didn't happen.

Hadn't been in bed 5 minutes, another dumpster fire in our district. Here we go again, only this time, no brush truck. I get to the fire with an engine and we put it out. On the way back to the station, we get another call, so I head straight for it and we put it out.

Get back to the station, put the engine up, and go home. About 30 minutes later, yeah you guessed it, another dumpster fire in our district. Grab an engine and go put it out.

There are only 4 more dumpster sites in our district, so I stayed in the northern part of the district with one engine and a couple of the other members went by the station and got another engine and drove to the south part of the district. I dont know whether the culprit saw the engines and was scared off or they just got tired of setting dumpsters on fire, but we didn't have any more. Stuck around for about an hour with no calls, so decided to call it a night. Had to top off the water in the engine and put it up. Got home in bed about 3 am.

Nothing good about all of this, but it has been raining, so the woods were wet and the metal dumpsters help to keep the fire contained. No real damage to property, but there's 6 or 7 fellows this morning, myself included, that would probably shoot the culprit, if we knew who it was.
Damn Randy! Hope you get some rest tonight
Posted By: hanco Re: Had a 'fire bug' last night - 04/04/20
I hope they don’t do that tonight, kids more than likely.
Take a good nap today.

Perhaps the perp was trying to make room in the dumpsters because the drivers are practicing "stay at home"? whistle

Stay safe,

Geno
Posted By: Dess Re: Had a 'fire bug' last night - 04/04/20
If someone is so bored they think setting fires is a good idea, I'm sure there are plenty of activities you can find to keep them busy.
Posted By: poboy Re: Had a 'fire bug' last night - 04/04/20
Pretty sure it's Trump's fault.
Dangerous stuff, Randy!

I had to deal with a firebug years ago. Same type scenario.

Turned out it was a mentally disturbed kid of about 12 years old. He started setting bigger fires than the harmless ones he started with.

We finally caught him in the act. He was a problem. Even at that age, he didn't have many brain cells left, due to sniffing glue, paint, and gasoline.

I doubt he's even alive now. The wonder was, that he didn't kill anyone else.
Plot watcher cameras, Randy.
Must be a Democrat, they are good at starting "dumpster fires".
A Fire Department near here had a new member start a corncrib on fire, and call it in. He was the first to the fire of course.

He is no longer a member of that fire department.
Pissants anyways.

Get a good nap in Randy.
Posted By: Dess Re: Had a 'fire bug' last night - 04/04/20
I've had to replace and resplice telephone wires because the heat melted the insulation. What a mess.
Posted By: jdm953 Re: Had a 'fire bug' last night - 04/04/20
Fire is the scariest thing I can think of.
Originally Posted by Oldman3
Moving kinda slow this morning. Spent a good portion of last night chasing purposely set fires. First call came in around 9 pm, dumpsters on fire out in the middle of no-where. Grabbed an engine and headed that way. By the time I got there, another fellow, with the brush truck had made it and they had the fire all but put out. Brush truck throws fan belt and is down for the night. Turn around, drive back to station, put the engine up, and go home. Get a msg from fire chief that the neighboring fire district had a dumpster fire.

Ok, maybe whoever it is will quit for the night. Nope, didn't happen.

Hadn't been in bed 5 minutes, another dumpster fire in our district. Here we go again, only this time, no brush truck. I get to the fire with an engine and we put it out. On the way back to the station, we get another call, so I head straight for it and we put it out.

Get back to the station, put the engine up, and go home. About 30 minutes later, yeah you guessed it, another dumpster fire in our district. Grab an engine and go put it out.

There are only 4 more dumpster sites in our district, so I stayed in the northern part of the district with one engine and a couple of the other members went by the station and got another engine and drove to the south part of the district. I dont know whether the culprit saw the engines and was scared off or they just got tired of setting dumpsters on fire, but we didn't have any more. Stuck around for about an hour with no calls, so decided to call it a night. Had to top off the water in the engine and put it up. Got home in bed about 3 am.

Nothing good about all of this, but it has been raining, so the woods were wet and the metal dumpsters help to keep the fire contained. No real damage to property, but there's 6 or 7 fellows this morning, myself included, that would probably shoot the culprit, if we knew who it was.

Sorry to hear that. just glad all is well. And be glad you are in a department that let those guys use the brush truck. We'd have had to wait for full gear and an engine and SCBA per our protocols. Cant even dump water on it from a distance. I'm SO glad I"m gone from those idiots. Chief made us shut down once on a structure fire that we had under control and were stopping, to force me to move the engine literally 1 foot to make dump tank a bit easier. We lost the structure and a motor home for that. And I could have easily used dump tank where we were parked with no issues. I digress.... too bitter and too much hatred for dumbasses.

Our last set of fires like yours popped up about every 3 months for right at 15 months.
Odd that so many happened so quick.

How close were they to each other?
If distant:
Could it have been a group of bored kids doing a text or a Facebook organized mischief night?

Rost,
You get a gotta people dumping waste oil quarts in dumpsters?
© 24hourcampfire