Home
At least here in the outback.

Perhaps I shouldn't say anything. Don't want folks bringing the Corona here from the cities.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Anybody really jonesing for some, not just wishing to restock their hoard, let me know, maybe they'll still be there when I next go to town.

Geno
Rice and peas sounds good.
I bought a 2 pound bag of pintos Thursday. Cooked em today. Made a pan of cornbread. Yum!
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
I bought a 2 pound bag of pintos Thursday. Cooked em today. Made a pan of cornbread. Yum!

Care to post yer cornbread recipe? I always have a helluva time making cornbread - not sure why.

I love beans and cornbread!

And beans with fried taters.
I told our local grocer to order me a case of black beans (their price is good enough to beat restaurant wholesalers when shipping is taken into consideration) about 4 weeks ago.

Yeah, that didn't happen.

But they're back in stock again, so I've been picking up a couple extra pounds more than I'll use immediately whenever I go in. Enough to build up a bit of a surplus, but not so much that it's going to seriously deprive others.

Now rice, I did get that before the coronapanic hit hard. A big bag here and there when on sale. Just use as normal in a FIFO queue.

Still can't buy any fresh garlic though. Using the minced stuff in a jar. It's all right I guess. Using it to make some Chili Verde in the Ninja Foodi as I type.
Red Beans and Rice is a staple dish around here. We do put sausage in it though. We've always eaten a lot of Depression era stuff because my wife and I were raised by Depression era parents. Hash is another staple. We use a lot of ground meat and taters. Beans and Rice. Eat a lot of chicken.
i'll bet at least half of the people who bought up all the beans have no fuggen idea how to make a dry bean edible and they'll be in the garbage within 6 months
Sheeeit,

is all the garlic gone too?

Fuggers think they're fighting off werewolves and vampires or something.

Mine is just poking up in the garden beds, be at least July before any are near ready to pick, if that early even.

Had to use the jarred stuff my wife likes for the convenience today in my lunch. When I licked the spoon it just isn't the same as fresh.

Geno

PS, speaking of rice, little sis down south had a rat get into a bag she had in the garage before she got it into a storage bin. She wasn't happy.
Originally Posted by rem141r
i'll bet at least half of the people who bought up all the beans have no fuggen idea how to make a dry bean edible and they'll be in the garbage within 6 months

What do you wanna bet they'll be selling 5-10 pounds here and there at garage sales in a couple years wink
Originally Posted by rem141r

Hopefully they know how to use the internet.

For other than farcebook and gaming, that is

Geno
Originally Posted by High_Noon

Care to post yer cornbread recipe? I always have a helluva time making cornbread - not sure why.

1cup cornmeal
A good tablespoon size dollop of lard
1tablespoon of baking powder
1tablespoon of sugar
A teaspoon of salt
An egg
Around a cup of milk

I cut the lard into the dry mix first

Preheat over to around 375-400f

I take a small cast iron frying pan and get about a tablespoon of lard hot in it on the stove top. So I pour the batter in it it may sizzle a bit. Then I shove it in the oven until its done. Probably about 12 to 15 min. Just keep an eye on it. You cant test it with a tootkpick in the middle. Enjoy.

Edit.
Ingredient amounts are approximate. Give or take a bit.

Gimme a sista, I cain’t resist her

Red beans and rice din’t miss her

Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
We've always eaten a lot of Depression era stuff because my wife and I were raised by Depression era parents.

Thats what we was raised on.
Originally Posted by slumlord

Little in da middle, but much in da back!

Little in da middle, but much in da back!

D A M N,

them be some cheeks fo sho.

Geno
Get a bag of them split peas.

Maybe two if local restriction allow.
I made a pot of pintos a while ago. Kaywoodie beans protocol was followed.....ie Sow belly and lots of it.

They were good. Not too gassy either.

SPLIT PEAS on the other hand is biblical. Like book of Revelation's bad.

I do love them so......
Kaywoodie,

you keep posting them recipes and I'll be able to cook like I'm still in the 19th century. And that's not a bad thing, what with the Corona and all.

I have your biscuit one saved and just saved that cornbread one.

You have one for fritters, hush puppies, and hoe cakes?

Geno
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
I made a pot of pintos a while ago. Kaywoodie beans protocol was followed.....ie Sow belly and lots of it.

I do love them so......

I am no fan of split peas,

Anderson can keep every one.

Now, fresh snow peas are tasty enough.

Geno
My god , restrictions on beans , rice and split peas, has Bernie won the election? what the hell
Next thing you know we will have to wait in line for T.P. frown
Emergency ration supply out behind the horse pen. So just in case every evening just about sundown we can wander down to the truck patch and pick use a mess of dis, and carry it home in a tow sack!! Before the gator gets granny! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

I scored 3 bags of great northern beans and a big sack of corn meal during my last trip to the grocery.
So thats what Polk Salat looks like??

Someone had to be the first to try that.......

Kaywoodie, how about posting your recipe for beans that Jim raves about?
Originally Posted by Valsdad

I do love them so......

Geno

You are outside your damn mind.

Poke "Sallet".

I do love them so......

Geno

Split peas make me, in the words of ol’ Rockinbbar, fart like a roan hack horse!
Am down to my last 25lbs of beans and 25lbs of rice, we had decided to use up lots of our stored food before buying more around thanksgiving. Still have a ton of stuff even after that... except beans and rice.

Kent
George Washington Carver invented beans-n-rice too.
Originally Posted by Bristoe

Poke "Sallet".

Bristoe, good to see you out and about.... expect you to return to your old crumugdion self soon.... wink
I sold a couple 1000 pounds of Pintos right before Y2K. After the New year they came back and wanted me to buy them back. Nope. No shortage of pintos here in Western Colorado.
We need recipes.

I’ll start.

3/4 c or so diced onion (white, yellow, red, green - whatever)
2 T. EVOO
2+ chipotle peppers (outa the can with the adobo sauce)
4 cans black beans, rinsed + drained
2 3/4 c. Vegetable or chicken stock
1 T honey
Salt & pepper to taste

Sauté onion in oil ‘til brown. Add chipotles, then beans, & top with stock ‘til just covered. Bring to a soft boil, then reduce to simmer & let it cruise for 40 min to a couple hours. Add stock if any cooks off.

Dip out 1 to 2 cups of beans, and pulse in a blender. Add back into the beans, then stir in the honey. Season to taste. Serve over rice.

You can do it in a crockpot, not worrying about browning the onions. Sausage works great in it too.

Now, tell me how you do yours.

FC

No, that was the Cotton Gin.

Is that better than Bombay gin? asking for a friend
What I did was take a pound of pintos, soak them, boil them, throw a pile of sow belly in, some jalapeno, and towards the end a pile of pinto bean season.

Some of the bean were sacrificed to the side of the pan with a spoon to thicken the pot.
Originally Posted by irfubar

Is that better than Bombay gin? asking for a friend

Slightly....but no way compares to Lewis and Clark.

Or if you are broke...Kirkland.......
We were so poor we didn't have polk salat, so my dad made us boys go out to the garden and harvest turnip greens... worst tasting chit I had to eat as a kid... we weren't really poor as my dad was and engineer for Motorola, but he grew up in the depression so we lived and thought we were poor.

Kent
Originally Posted by krp
We were so poor we didn't have polk salat, so my dad made us boys go out to the garden and harvest turnip greens... worst tasting chit I had to eat as a kid... we weren't really poor as my dad was and engineer for Motorola, but he grew up in the depression so we lived and thought we were poor.

Kent

Jeezus....at least you had turnip greens.

None of that schit grows up here.

We ate dandelion, rhubarb leaves and Russian olives when they were in season......
Originally Posted by BeanMan
I sold a couple 1000 pounds of Pintos right before Y2K. After the New year they came back and wanted me to buy them back. Nope. No shortage of pintos here in Western Colorado.

You have anasazi beans? had cousins that grew them in Dove creek years ago and they were great.

Kent
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

We ate dandelion, rhubarb leaves and Russian olives when they were in season......

Lucky you! most places they say 'wash your mouth out with soap' my house it was turnip greens... kaaaaaaaaa!

Kent
we've been using the instant pot for making bean soup. supa easy. got the recipe off youtube. won't do it any other way now.

reminds me, i need a ham hock next time i go to corona mart.
I distrust instant kinds of things.

Normally I prefer long, drawn out and inconvenient things.
Originally Posted by mudstud

Kaywoodie, how about posting your recipe for beans that Jim raves about?

It’s really simple. I soak my beans overnight. A lot of folks don’t. But I do. I also drain off the soaking water and rinse the beans real good. Use fresh water for cooking.

I’ll use one of them pound or pound and a half bags of beans
Tablespoon of ground blk pepper
Big dollop of garlic, better than a tablespoon full
One diced up big yellow onion (cause I like yellow onions). Dice small
About 1/2 pound sowbelly with the rind cut off and diced in 3/4” chunks or so.
Then I use a tablespoon of a local HEB grocery store “Borracho Bean Seasoning”
(I think you can get it from HEB here in Texas from their online store. I can post pic of jar if needed)

In this batch I used a bit of fresh cilantro as I have some growing this year in my herb nook. BUT be advised. Do not overdo the cilantro. It can be strong. I think I used the leaves off of three 4" stems or so. I do not like a lot. But just enough. I don’t usually have fresh available. But I did today.

Put in all in a pot and i start it to boil then turn it down to a good rolling simmer. I like to simmer it until the onions completely cook up! If I do it just like this and start a pot at 7 am they are ready by noon.

This is just my way to do it. Milage may vary.

You can add salt if needed as I did today because I used a 2 lb bag of beans. You’ll figger it out.
Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Lucky you! most places they say 'wash your mouth out with soap' my house it was turnip greens... kaaaaaaaaa!

Kent

99 and 44/100ths percent pure Turnip Greens.....
Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Kent

Damn I love turnip and mustard greens. Collards are pretty damn good too, Kent! 🤣🤣🤣
Schit....I forgot the onion and the garlic.

Still ate the hell out of them........
I'm bringing some next time buddy.

Kent

Jim I know you guys are like a 100 yrs behind up you way.... but the modern new gizmo the "instapot" is da bomb for beans.... Amazon has free shipping ......
It looked like spinach all cooked up... wasn't close...

Kent

1cup cornmeal
1tablespoon of sugar
A teaspoon of salt
An egg
Around a cup of milk

I take a small cast iron frying pan and get about a tablespoon of lard hot in it on the stove top. So I pour the batter in it it may sizzle a bit. Then I shove it in the oven until its done. Probably about 12 to 15 min. Just keep an eye on it. You cant test it with a tootkpick in the middle. Enjoy.

Edit.

I"ll have to try yours. I like a sweeter cornbread and I really like this recipe.

2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
4 tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
5 tbsp melted butter.

into an 8x8 greased pan at 450 appx 20 minutes.
Here’s that borracho bean seasoning I was talking about!

https://www.amazon.com/HEB-Texas-Originals-Borracho-Beans/dp/B011PPR2TK
I made up some pintos with ham 2 days ago and then split pea soup with ham yesterday. Love em both. Trying to use up a spiral cut ham that was in the freezer, fried ham with over easy eggs and toast yesterday and today too. My rice cooker does a nice curry rice with some evoo and butter too. Sometimes all I’ll have for dinner is rice... Oh, and the last time I ate greens was in Kodiak when a buddy cooked em with “steak”. He said when he was a kid they had chitlins and greens all the time, called em wrinkle steak. I found both to be disgusting.
Originally Posted by rost495

1cup cornmeal
1tablespoon of sugar
A teaspoon of salt
An egg
Around a cup of milk

Edit.

I"ll have to try yours. I like a sweeter cornbread and I really like this recipe.

2 eggs
1 cup buttermilk
4 tbsp sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup cornmeal
1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
5 tbsp melted butter.

into an 8x8 greased pan at 450 appx 20 minutes.

Almost like the wifes old recipe, Jeff. 😉
Originally Posted by krp
I'm bringing some next time buddy.

Kent

Secret to greens is cut em when they are young and tender! Yum!
[Linked Image]

I actually found this old picture of my younger sister. I posted it on facebook a few years ago for her birthday and she said... see, that's what I had to put up with as a child, being dressed up in vegetables by my brothers...

Kent
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Jim, I thought I saw you mention once on an old thread that you planted turnips or such for "tilth" in your pastures? Am I mistaken?

The greens off them would work just fine.

Wild lettuce and dandelions just starting to come up here. Soon, enough for a fry pan full of greens, along with some mustard that's reseeded itself.

Geno

PS I'm pretty sure you're kidding about the rhubarb leaves, but did you really eat Russian Olives? sick
Sorry fellas, but I don’t really know a lot about modern stuff like instant pots and such. I’m sure they work just fine. I just dance with who I came with. 😉😁
Originally Posted by krp
[Linked Image]

I actually found this old picture of my younger sister. I posted it on facebook a few years ago for her birthday and she said... see, that's what I had to put up with as a child, being dressed up in vegetables by my brothers...

Kent

Them two turnips she’s holding are perfect! 👍👍👍
Instapot is just a faster and safer electric pressure cooker. Mom used to make beans in a pressure cooker, I gived all mine to the Lutheran thrift store.

Kent
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Okay Jim I have to know how in the hell one can make a Russian olive even slightly edible.
Originally Posted by krp
[Linked Image]

Kent

Them two turnips she’s holding are perfect! 👍👍👍

We grew lots of carrots, radishes, turnips, tomatoes for ourselves, 1/2 acre sweet corn to sell on the corner to the midwest snowbirds.

Kent
Originally Posted by krp
Instapot is just a faster and safer electric pressure cooker. Mom used to make beans in a pressure cooker, I gived all mine to the Lutheran thrift store.

Kent

Pressure cookers always scared hell outta me. When I was a kid down in south Texas where dad was from there was a kid in town there that was in the vicinity of one that got knocked off stove. Scalded hell outta his face. I think that little pressure release valve thing fell off when it came off stovetop and he took a direct hit of steam.
Rice, Lima beans and Ham Hock, Stewed Tomatoes, a little bit of corn bread with real butter.

Lets eat!

g
I gots a 1972 GE that I boils beans on.

Perhaps I shouldn't say anything. Don't want folks bringing the Corona here from the cities.

Anybody really jonesing for some, not just wishing to restock their hoard, let me know, maybe they'll still be there when I next go to town.

Geno

And the lard right there on the far right..

Biscuits!

ya i hear ya but how about bag to bowl in under an hour? and i'm talking damn good bean soup. simple too. beans, onion, garlic and chicken broth and excruciating, unrelenting pressure and heat.

"Currently unavailable.
We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock."

Dang it, I wanted to try it in my next pot of beans. I'm a sucker for spice blends and dry rubs. Looking for the perfect rub.
Okay....but what would I do with the rest of my afternoon?

Boiling beans means Jim Beam and Waylon Jennings!
Originally Posted by Morewood

"Currently unavailable.

Dang it, I wanted to try it in my next pot of beans. I'm a sucker for spice blends and dry rubs. Looking for the perfect rub.

I have an extra if you would like it.
Okay....but what would I do with the rest of my afternoon?

Boiling beans means Jim Beam and Waylon Jennings!

Damn,

you must be real fun by evening then!

Geno
Originally Posted by GeoW

Geno

And the lard right there on the far right..

Biscuits!

Didn't check the flour aisle as we're stocked for now.

But with what's right there in view a fella could live for a coupla days, eh?

Geno
We only use Snowcap leaf lard.

And margarine.....

How was the ice cream?
Originally Posted by local_dirt

How was the ice cream?

Dirt, are you sure that is ice cream? looks like a poo swirl to me
Dats a cupcake
Ya heard

"Currently unavailable.

I have an extra if you would like it.

Thanks for the offer, Jim, but it's not an essential item. Got any toilet paper?

"Currently unavailable.

Damn. I hope its just due to the current situation and they aint stopped making it. They still had it in the store several weeks ago.

And margarine.....

Margarine! No, say it ain't so! Butter only allowed in my kitchen. I guess you will next say you don't eat grits.
"The Warden" said to post a thumbs up and kudos for your recipe!
Good talking to y’all tonight Mark! Thanks for calling and checking on us!
Originally Posted by Henryseale

And margarine.....

Margarine! No, say it ain't so! Butter only allowed in my kitchen. I guess you will next say you don't eat grits.

Well...yes and no.

Lard, butter and oil only.

Never had a grit pass my pie hole.
Originally Posted by Henryseale

And margarine.....

Well...yes and no.

Lard, butter and oil only.

Never had a grit pass my pie hole.

"Currently unavailable.

Damn. I hope its just due to the current situation and they aint stopped making it. They still had it in the store several weeks ago.

If'n yer short i could send you some.
Originally Posted by irfubar
Originally Posted by local_dirt

How was the ice cream?

Dirt, are you sure that is ice cream? looks like a poo swirl to me

Hard to tell with it winking at ya.

Dats a cupcake
Ya heard

Strawberry shortcake?

LMFAO.

"Currently unavailable.

If'n yer short i could send you some.

I’m good Jim! Thanks! (I have a back up plan! Will keep you posted!).
Put some beans on for tomorrow.

Having sausage and cornbread as well.

Will have some sliced onion too.

They do smell good cooking.
Instant Pot almost turns dried beans into a fast food.... wife and I are on our second batch this week... Thank God for Beanogrin
Emergency ration supply out behind the horse pen. So just in case every evening just about sundown we can wander down to the truck patch and pick use a mess of dis, and carry it home in a tow sack!! Before the gator gets granny! 🤣🤣🤣🤣

I always wondered what it looked like.

Looks like nightshade!

I do love them so......

Got a pot of pintos bubbling overnight, smidge of onions and garlic. Musical accompliment: Merle Haggard Austin City Limits 1978. Groovin…...
Originally Posted by Blu_Cs

I do love them so......

Got a pot of pintos bubbling overnight, smidge of onions and garlic. Musical accompliment: Merle Haggard Austin City Limits 1978. Groovin…...

Yes sir!

You cant rush these things. Or at least you shouldn't.

If I couldn't drink a mess of whiskey and listen to music....I wouldn't want to mess with cooking them beans!
Yessir!
I got a passle of leftover messkin strawberries for tomorrow!!!

cup of corn meal
cup of flour
1/4 cup sugar
1 TBsp baking powder
1 tsp salt

2 eggs
1/3 cup oil
1 cup milk

8x8 pan, 400 degrees 25 mins
I use Jiffy mix.

Kent
I got a passle of leftover messkin strawberries for tomorrow!!!
all her brothers was fit fo' was stealin' watermelons outa' my truck!
Originally Posted by krp
I use Jiffy mix.

Kent

You must be out of Fvks to post something like that here!
I’ve made three batches of beans the last few weeks.

One was black eyed peas with smoked pork and collards.

One was red beans with double smoked sausage and some bacon.

The last was cannellini beans with Italian sausage and collards.

My azz ‘bout tore up from all the windage!
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Man's got to know his limitations.

Like when the old woman makes you do your own shorts laundry after a bean bender.......
The other day, my 3 year old son offered me a diaper. Lol. Told me I was stinky.

Yes I am, son. Yes I am.
I left out a batch of lentil soup! That stuff was great!

Man's got to know his limitations.

Like when the old woman makes you do your own shorts laundry after a bean bender.......

I'm not a bean eater in a big sort of way, just when the wife fixes something with them in it.

For whatever reason, I got one hell of a laugh out of that one Jim.

Still chuckling as I type this.

Geno
Originally Posted by krp
I use Jiffy mix.

Kent

I'm not ashamed, sometimes dice some green chili in it.

Kent
Originally Posted by krp
Originally Posted by krp
I use Jiffy mix.

Kent

I'm not ashamed, sometimes dice some green chili in it.

Kent

Sssshhhh,

don't tell anyone,

it was my go to for years.

Geno
Y'all may or may not already know this. But you can knock the gas content down on beans by rinsing them thoroughly after they've been soaked.
I’ve heard that about soaking and rinsing. Can’t say that I soak at all anymore though.

The cannellini beans were canned though. Dvd had posted a great looking dish with them or something similar and I had a few cans in the pantry.

What’s y’all’s favorite bean? Least favorite?
I likes em all.

Probably eat the most Great Norther and Kidney.

I like limas and pintos.
Depends on the dish. Pinto's are pretty good.
Plain 'ol pinto.

Kent
I’ve heard that about soaking and rinsing. Can’t say that I soak at all anymore though.

The cannellini beans were canned though. Dvd had posted a great looking dish with them or something similar and I had a few cans in the pantry.

I normally just buy canned. IMO the brand makes more of a difference than the variety. On lots of stuff, Great Value (Walmart) is as good as other brands that cost more. Not on most beans though. Bush's is much better if you're going canned.

None are "favorite", but I seem to like black beans the "best" for what that's worth.

Fugg a buncha Lima Beans. I hate having to pick them out when I find them in minestrone. Dad forced me to eat them once when younger (second grade maybe?) , when mom was in the hospital having my little bro. Went back to school and blew chunks all over the playground. Have hardly been able to look at them since. Fugg a bunch Lima beans.

The rest are edible, never took a liking to the texture of any though. They're just grub and suitable when one is hungry.

Oh, did I mention.............Fugg a buncha Lima beans.

Geno
High roller.......
Ok, canned it has to be ranch beans, the jalapeno preferably, throw a ribeye steak on the plate and smear it in the juice.

Can't stand those sugary beans of any kind.

Kent
I have no idea how to make cornbread, too busy playing horseshoes and aimless whittling.

beans and jowl

Pinto no. 1, northern white (navy) is a distant second. lima, kidney, and all that other crap is at the end.

Anasazi might be good haven't tried those, seem like a pinto....
I can trailer trash it with the best of them... tuna gravy over rice is a staple here... couple cheap cans of tuna, a can of mushroom soup, make the gravy with the oil in the cans and a pat of butter, add the soup and tuna, spoon over a plate of rice.

Kent
canned beans are for hunting trips. or survival.
High roller.......

He say to the guy that grew up with tuna noodle casserole, hamburg in brown gravy on rice, and pasta up the yinyang.

Beans in our house were canned, "pork and beans" and sometimes "Boston baked". Usually served with burgers and dogs when we had them. I ate them because they were on the plate and it would not be pleasant if I left them.

Geno
We et the beans because we already ate all the beef and we was still hungry.

I wont abandon them now. They got us through.

Dance with the one that brung ya!
They are all good! I cook them all the same in the crock pot. After soaking and rinsing, they get a dollop of garlic and onions, and after a few hours they are gtg!
[quote=MadMooner]I

None are "favorite", but I seem to like black beans the "best" for what that's worth.

F
Geno

Yup, the .30-06 of beans. At least for us 'murricans
I like great northern beans that's been soaked over night then cooked in a crock pot. Then poured over cornbread still hot from the oven. I always overeat when they get served like that around here.

1cup cornmeal
1tablespoon of sugar
A teaspoon of salt
An egg
Around a cup of milk

Edit.

Thankyousir.
Originally Posted by krp

You have anasazi beans? had cousins that grew them in Dove creek years ago and they were great.

Kent

No Anasazi’s, they are trade marked by Adobe Milling in Dove Creek, I grew pinto bean seed for 35 years, Delta, Mesa, and Montrose counties are the only three in Colorado that are disease free, something that is important for seed production. Plus, Anasazi’s carry bean common mosaic virus and are a no no in the seed producing counties.
When it comes to beans and rice instapot only way to go..
Pasta [bleep] with navy beans, might have to make a pot tonight.

I can.t believe they blacked out f.a.g.i.o.l.i.
What I did was take a pound of pintos, soak them, boil them, throw a pile of sow belly in, some jalapeno, and towards the end a pile of pinto bean season.

Some of the bean were sacrificed to the side of the pan with a spoon to thicken the pot.

Spanish Rice seasoning is better. I threw the pinto bean seasoning away. Add some fried bacon 15 min before the beans are done.
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

No Anasazi’s, they are trade marked by Adobe Milling in Dove Creek, I grew pinto bean seed for 35 years, Delta, Mesa, and Montrose counties are the only three in Colorado that are disease free, something that is important for seed production. Plus, Anasazi’s carry bean common mosaic virus and are a no no in the seed producing counties.
That's pretty cool. Did you produce them like soybeans, harvesting with a combine in big fields or something different?

1cup cornmeal
1tablespoon of sugar
A teaspoon of salt
An egg
Around a cup of milk

Edit.

Thankyousir.

You’re welcome! Monkey around with it! Find out how you like it. Try different things with it. You’ll eventually find your signature favorite way! 😉

1cup cornmeal
1tablespoon of sugar
A teaspoon of salt
An egg
Around a cup of milk

Edit.

Thankyousir.

You’re welcome! Monkey around with it! Find out how you like it. Try different things with it. You’ll eventually find your signature favorite way! 😉

That sounds a lot like what I do, though I usually leave out the sugar.

I can also vouch that adding a handful each of chopped jalapeño, bacon bits, and extra sharp cheddar doesn't suck in the least.

FC
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

That's pretty cool. Did you produce them like soybeans, harvesting with a combine in big fields or something different?

The big difference in harvesting pintos from soybeans are that they carry the pod load very close to the ground, direct harvesting with a combine (soybeans are direct harvested) leaves a fair amount of beans in the field, depending on the variety. Most farmers using some sort of undercutting blade or spinning disk to undercut the roots and pile the plant in a windrow which is then picked up by a combine equipped with a pickup head. There are some new varieties with more upright architecture that can be direct harvested but they generally have lower yields.
Originally Posted by Mike_S
Pasta [bleep] with navy beans, might have to make a pot tonight.

I can.t believe they blacked out f.a.g.i.o.l.i.

Are you a fellow goomba?

Use the colloquial "pasta fazul" . When I post this we'll know if that gets bleeped too.

Geno
Black-eyed peas..Can't get enough of them..The rest is good also but Pinto and Navy are the basics here with a good ham hock and bacon in a pinch..Cornbread is good as well as Bisquick biscuits(Cow Patties)..
Thanks all for the recipes and the laughs. Jim, washing your own scivvies after a bean fest had me crying.👍
Originally Posted by knivesforme
Thanks all for the recipes and the laughs. Jim, washing your own scivvies after a bean fest had me crying.👍

That's what it's all about knives.

Gotta have some fun in these times.

Geno
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
We need recipes.

I’ll start.

3/4 c or so diced onion (white, yellow, red, green - whatever)
2 T. EVOO
2+ chipotle peppers (outa the can with the adobo sauce)
4 cans black beans, rinsed + drained
2 3/4 c. Vegetable or chicken stock
1 T honey
Salt & pepper to taste

Sauté onion in oil ‘til brown. Add chipotles, then beans, & top with stock ‘til just covered. Bring to a soft boil, then reduce to simmer & let it cruise for 40 min to a couple hours. Add stock if any cooks off.

Dip out 1 to 2 cups of beans, and pulse in a blender. Add back into the beans, then stir in the honey. Season to taste. Serve over rice.

You can do it in a crockpot, not worrying about browning the onions. Sausage works great in it too.

Now, tell me how you do yours.

FC

Cut up a bunch of collard greens and got a healthy pot
I made a pot of Great Northern bean on Friday... served with Rice... man, they were good. I out a pound of bacon, onion and garlic in them...
Hurst's 15 bean soup cooked with a ham bone and chicken stock. Yum!

https://hurstbeans.com/recipes/slow-cooker-ham-and-bean-soup
Fava bean season right now and my normal supplier hasn't been to the farmers market yet. Tough to find in most markets as well. Hopefully its just a late season on them.
Originally Posted by FatCity67
Fava bean season right now and my normal supplier hasn't been to the farmers market yet. Tough to find in most markets as well. Hopefully its just a late season on them.

Fats,

them things taste like Limas?

Maybe I'll do you a favor next year and plant some as a cover crop, harvest the beans and send them to you.

Geno

Fugg a buncha Lima Beans. I hate having to pick them out when I find them in minestrone. Dad forced me to eat them once when younger (second grade maybe?) , when mom was in the hospital having my little bro. Went back to school and blew chunks all over the playground. Have hardly been able to look at them since. Fugg a bunch Lima beans.

The rest are edible, never took a liking to the texture of any though. They're just grub and suitable when one is hungry.

Oh, did I mention.............Fugg a buncha Lima beans.

Geno

Apparently you’re my brother from another mother.

Can’t stand Limas and I’m not all that hot on Kidney beans either.
When I was a kid I could hardly choke down a Lima bean.4 years back 1 day in the grocery store there they were, 1 lb bag dried Lima beans. I thought no way, then realized if'n I bought them there would be no way I could say I was out of food ever. Trouble was they sat there looking at me ever time I opened the cupboard door. 1 day I pulled them and followed the directions on the bag, thought about it for minute and transfered them to the crockpot after the initial boil and rinse. Added 1 chopped up onion, throwed in 1/2 lb of baby carrots, and a whole quart of canned venison,set the heat control on low and cooked over night. Smelled so good next morning I had some for breakfast, they were great. Got lucky just stumbled into the right way of cooking them. Sometimes things ain't as bad as you think because it's just that you don't know what you need to. MB
I loves both Limas and butter beans!!!
I like any kind of beans I've ever tried and for sure Lima beans. My wife although not usually too fussy hates them.
Your right Salty, settin’ here trying to remember. Bit I don’t think I ever ate any type of bean I didn’t like

Now I’ve had some that the cook’s talent didn’t really come across too well. But I don’t think that was the beans fault! 😉
Egzackery kaywoodie! Some folks figure boiling the pizz out of them, which makes it faster will cut it. Um, no.
Ham and Lima's...best C Rats evah.

Ham & muthas!!!
I loves both Limas and butter beans!!!

Butter beans are the star of the show in Calico beans.

That and the other important variety....porkn beans.

Ham & muthas!!!

But isn't that only true if you can dosem down with trasco sauce ?MB
https://www.homesicktexan.com/2015/07/pinto-beans-aaron-franklin-barbecue.html

Aaron Franklin’s pinto beans
Servings 8
Author Adapted by Lisa Fain from Franklin Barbecue: A Meat-Smoking Manifesto
Ingredients

1 pound dried pinto beans
1/4 medium yellow onion, diced
1/4 cup chile powder
1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon black pepper
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
1 cup chopped smoked brisket

Instructions

Rinse the pinto beans and remove any rocks. Place the beans, onion, chili powder, salt, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and cumin in a large pot. Cover with 2 inches of water, stir until the spices are well distributed, and then soak the beans uncovered for 8 hours. Alternatively, you can bring the pot to a boil, turn off the heat, cover the pot, and let them quick soak for 1 hour.

To cook the beans, add the brisket to the pot. (Do not drain the soaking liquid.) You want there to be at least an inch and a half of water above the beans, so add more water to the pot if needed. Bring the pot to a boil, then turn down the heat down to low, cover the pot, and then gently simmer for 1 hour.

After 1 hour, remove the cover and then continue to cook the beans until they’re tender, which will depend on the age of the beans. This can happen anywhere from 1 hour to 3 hours.

If you want to make these in the slow cooker, after soaking, cook them covered on low for 6 hours, then remove the lid and continue to cook on low for 2 more hours.

Recipe Notes

If you’re not using kosher salt but table salt or sea salt instead, reduce the amount of salt to 1 tablespoon, otherwise the beans may be too salty.
Don't salt beans, pintos for sure, until the end, they won't get soft/creamy, salt after cooking.

Kent
© 24hourcampfire