Home
Jim in Idahos posting down below got me to thinking about my love for some genre's of music.
I really enjoy music and was born and raised in the midst of the birth of Rock & Roll and my parents were BIG Country Music fans.
My favorite types of music are:

#1: Rock & Roll Golden Oldies
#2: Classic Country Western
#3: Disco
#4: Hawaiian Music

I do so loathe though Hip Hop and Rap music.

What genres do you most enjoy?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Numbers 1 and 2 for me please.

Every now and then i like to listen to the Phantom of the opera sound track. wink
Posted By: CCCC Re: Your Favorite Music Genre's? - 04/07/20
Not at all influenced by patents' preferences but great influences from studying, practicing and performing since a young person. No order of preference or importance -
jazz of most types from old to modern, but not any new age or soft jazz tripe;
hillbilly/bluegrass/country through about 2000 and a few since then;
any serious composers that have stood the test of time from Renaissance through Baroque, Classical, Romantic and early 20th century periods - and a few later ones.

There is other good stuff of interest as well, but above is the fundamental scope.
Plainsman456: That reminds me of the time the VarmintWife bought us front row center orchestra seats for a performance by the original cast of "Phantom Of The Opera"!
She had to drag me kicking and moaning to that performance.
The acting, the singing and the music were so beautiful and so perfect I actually wept in admiration and appreciation!
In fact at the mid-performance break I bought a "cassettte" of the Phantom - I play it on special occasions. Thanks for reminding me of that wonderful opera.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
CCCC: As a young man I would go with several friends each summer to the "Darrington Bluegrass Festival" in Darrington, Washington.
Darrington is a tiny "logging town" on the west slope of the Cascade Mountains but the festival was always well attended.
It was a great time and I did enjoy the live Bluegrass Music as well.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I can usually find something to like or at least interesting with any music played by real musicians on real instruments. Some of my favorites are:

Jazz except for the Kenny G type stuff. Not a big fan of anything more free form than Bitch’s Brew like Ornette Coleman and whatever John Coltrane got up to in his later years.
Old style Country except for some of the Chet Atkins produced stuff with a full orchestra and 25 background singers
Bluegrass
Rock & Roll
Old school funk and R&B
Classical/ Baroque
Standards and show tunes done by a smallish combo
I do so loathe though Hip Hop and Rap music.

Coon Toons?
Posted By: Teal Re: Your Favorite Music Genre's? - 04/07/20
Classic Country and Western swing
Rockabilly
Americana
Blues

I'm 43 so prob a bit different for people my age but not the campfire in general.
Classic rock!
Posted By: hanco Re: Your Favorite Music Genre's? - 04/07/20
Rock and country
Classical mostly strings. Most regional Americana, most rock including psychedelic, experimental, some death metal, Avant Garde black metal, garage, old punk, blues, funk, country (only the good stuff, mostly classic), 60s soul and most of the sub-genres included. And yeah rap and hip hop sucks balls. Call me close minded....
Classic rock and at times of stress, Native American flute music.
I like all music except for rap and pop but my favorites are blues, metal, and country.
Posted By: gunzo Re: Your Favorite Music Genre's? - 04/07/20
I mainly like rock, but than spans to metal in one direction & to classic rock the other. Then some blues, followed by a bit of Bluegrass.

No, or very little country for me.

And, rap ain't music.

I listen to all music, but could never really get into jazz.
REvans57: Interesting your liking the Native American Flute Music - I think I will look that up on the computer here and try to find some to listen to.
I don't think I have partaken of that genre?
Thanks - I do need to relax a bit as I am being "pulled" to go somewhere and do something!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
“any serious composers that have stood the test of time from Renaissance through Baroque, Classical, Romantic and early 20th century periods - and a few later ones."

Same here. About all I listen to.
No polka Bob????
I'm all over the place. Might be Alice in Chains, Mad Season, Foo Fighters, Rodney Crowell, Robert Plant, Mark Knopfler, Dire Straits, or any others that I may have forgotten at the moment. I also enjoy a lot of modern Christian music by artists like Zach Williams, Mercy Me and dozens of others.
1990s alt rock/grunge.
Almost anything but rap/hip hop.
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
1990s alt rock/grunge.

Milk Music, Green River, Soundgarden(louder than love)..good stuff👍
Now days? Gospel, rock like it was in the late fifties. "If you new Peggy Sue"
I suppose it’d be easier to list musical genres I prefer not to listen to.

Modern male country. There are exceptions of course, but generally I find it to be embarrassingly horrid.

Any “Death Metal” type of bands with the ridiculous vocals. I enjoy most of it until the singers starts in sounding like a retard.

EDM

I’m game for pretty much everything else. Pandora bounces between DMX, David Allen Coe and Dvorák, with a bunch in between.
Posted By: CCCC Re: Your Favorite Music Genre's? - 04/08/20
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
CCCC: As a young man I would go with several friends each summer to the "Darrington Bluegrass Festival" in Darrington, Washington. Darrington is a tiny "logging town" on the west slope of the Cascade Mountains but the festival was always well attended. It was a great time and I did enjoy the live Bluegrass Music as well.Hold into the wind VarmintGuy
Hi VG - I have been to and through Darrington, WA many times, especially when I lived in the Puget Sound area, Been to that bluegrass deal a couple of times and have taken some of those Blacktail Deer in the Cascades not far from Darrington.
Hard Rock/Metal
Hard to pin a name on it. I don't consider it rock or country, something in between. I call it Americana.
Examples:
The Band
Bob Dylan
The late, great John Prine
Iris DeMent (my personal favorite)
Steve Goodman
Poco
Pure Prairie League
Early Eagles songs
© 24hourcampfire