Home
I liked Rock n Roll not beebop so much

Not all big hits. Just songs I listened to on albums of the time from hit making groups.

Most all of them, mostly me being young, sigh.

https://youtu.be/NMufLXrFIg8

https://youtu.be/Xk_FR3341bA

Originally Posted by wabigoon
Most all of them, mostly me being young, sigh.

How’d I do Wabbi? Still don’t know how to post the actual site!
I don't know why, terribly bubble gummy, but it lept to mind.

And of course the more mature -

[video:youtube]https

Even my dad liked that one.

Memories, my High School car was a '63 Impala SS 409. Yes 4 speed, dual quad, posi traction 409. In the early 70's however.

Originally Posted by 5sdad

John, saw these guys live at the Roof Garden at Arnold’s Park, circa, I-can’t-remember. They never came back from their half-time break — busted smoking weed 😮😀
Help Me Rhonda by The Beach Boys.
Satisfaction by the stones
In sense and Peppermints by Strawberry Alarm clock.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLomSaLLSzg
The Animals, when I was in Vietnam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJVpihgwE18
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UzgpB9xpyT8
Never My Love The Association

Reminds me of my girlfriend.
Hawkins was popular for awhile. Lives in Canada now, I think.

L.W.
https://youtu.be/aJMLbyEaPWs
I had to go count them but I have 29 LP albums from that time and all are collectors items I’m told.

Otis, Stones, Sam and Dave , Sledge, Beach Boys and a bunch more of others.

Some I’ve been able to transfer to CD and others, I cannot.

OT, my wife had a wonderful collection of old LP’s that somehow didn’t come with her when we married. Decades later, when her parents moved to a much smaller house, they threw them out. We didn’t realize that until she sought to round them up much later — we were very disappointed!

She had some great ones.
Originally Posted by Leanwolf

I saw Ronnie Hawkins in Toronto in the early late70s/early80s. He was the opening act for the Doobie Brothers at the C.N.E. He was better than the Doobies.
Originally Posted by nighthawk
And of course the more mature -

[video:youtube]https

Even my dad liked that one.

This song has been named by the Simon Kenton Institute as the Greatest Popular Song of all time.
I love this song.
Originally Posted by George_De_Vries_3rd

OT, my wife had a wonderful collection of old LP’s that somehow didn’t come with her when we married. Decades later, when her parents moved to a much smaller house, they threw them out. We didn’t realize that until she sought to round them up much later — we were very disappointed!

She had some great ones.

Ohh, man.

Hopefully the trash man had an appreciation for them.

I went to a local estate sale about 6 weeks ago and the lady had owned an Antique business. On one of the tables there were probably one hundred or more LP albums of that vintage and older. They had a large note on the collection that said “You are welcome to look but all are sold “ and with the buyers name and phone number. Most were priced in the 50$/each range.
No one says 'Lonely' likes Roy. Simpler times.
https://youtu.be/BgHMW3FeLVY
The guitars is bigger than he is but this little dud can play.
https://youtu.be/p3S7JYlhr_g
More Johnny A his version of Hindrick's Red House
https://youtu.be/6sOmrQfeU_c

John, saw these guys live at the Roof Garden at Arnold’s Park, circa, I-can’t-remember. They never came back from their half-time break — busted smoking weed 😮😀

I remember that well. Good times at Arnie's Park. Never had the guts to go on the big coaster, but enjoyed the wildass mouse.
Originally Posted by smarquez

The first anti-drug song?

This was a big hit in April of 1966, I heard it a hundred times. I was an innocent lad in tenth grade. I liked this tune and I had no idea what it was about.

Yes, the first anti drug song.
Didn't do much good as in the next decades, our nation sunk deeper and deeper into the abyss of dope abuse.
Haven’t heard it since college by Gary Sage and the Hot Nuts - “She broke my heart so I broke her arm”.
A brother played that all the time. Bad high school breakup.

His roommate played the opening of “Patton” with George C Scott.

Wild times at UK. Go Big Blue!

Good evening Kenny!
Good songs here. I will be playing these for a long time.
Hope you are doing well.
I have almost all of these on cassette. Some on 8 track and many on lp. All I listen to anymore is 60's
Even have innagodadavida full length version , like 12 minutes long.
RIP Jack and Ginger
Originally Posted by 700LH

I am one of the few who ever saw Cream live in concert. Chastain Park Atlanta, October of 1968. I was hitchiking home from Ga. Tech a week earlier, and I got a ride with a "hippie chick" named "Easter." I mean, this was the sixties.
I invited her to the show the next week so I was next to Easter in the concrete stand watching Cream.
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

I am one of the few who ever saw Cream live in concert. Chastain Park Atlanta, October of 1968. I was hitchiking home from Ga. Tech a week earlier, and I got a ride with a "hippie chick" named "Easter." I mean, this was the sixties.
I invited her to the show the next week so I was next to Easter in the concrete stand watching Cream.

I listened to them more than anyone else. Along with John Mayall. but as a kid In way upstate NY.......not gonna see them.

Have seen Clapton a bunch and Ginger and Bruce with Blues Sarceno with my daughter

Finally got to see them at the Garden in 2005. Even better.
I remember Sittin in the back of JR's orange VW bug smokin really good stuff hearing this for the first time,,, good times

I remember standing in front of the stage with about 50 friends watching the original Lynyrd Skynyrd band in concert in Evanville IN. The place was packed, no assigned seating, and Lynyrd Skynyrd was the Warmup Band. They were great. Can’t remember who the main band was because we left before they came on! Tickets were either $5.50 or $6.50. That was also the first year of dating my wife. Thanks for the memories!
Originally Posted by deerstalker
I have almost all of these on cassette. Some on 8 track and many on lp. All I listen to anymore is 60's

"Inna Garden of Eden"
Originally Posted by joken2

Water drum?
Originally Posted by 19352012

Blaring on the 8-Track in my '67 Firebird as I pulled out of the parking lot on the day that they turned us seniors loose in 1969.
Originally Posted by NVhntr

Always played in my mind whenever a sprint car went end-over - "...skipped a light fandango ..."

The "Dis Really Sucks" album! grin

Originally Posted by chlinstructor

The audio is from his Live From The Whiskey album of 1966.

From Wikipedia
After the Animals had chart success with the 1965 single "We Gotta Get Out of This Place," producer Terry Melcher asked the song's writers, Mann and Weil, to compose a similar song for Paul Revere & the Raiders.[1][7] The result was "Kicks," a song originally offered to the Animals, but turned down by lead singer Eric Burdon.[2] Mann and Weil wrote the song as a warning to a friend about the dangers of drug use.[7][8] In the song, a narrator pleads with a girl that drug use causes addiction and that soft drugs can lead to the use of hard drugs,[3] though the lyrics never explicitly mention any of those things; ultimately the lyrics conclude that her real problem is psychological ("you'll never run away from you") and that there is "another way" to face the trials of life.

16 with impressionable mind, a nimble body flush with testosterone, a car radio, and five bucks in your pocket and Friday night — the high life.

No Beatle song to this point.
Spent my teens in the 60's, high school and college.
Lots of changes about mid 60's with the British Invasion, but the early 60's had some great songs.
Beach Boys California Girls.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmIsdMWzdaE
I don't think there was a greater era of music than the 60's. Man there was a lot of great stuff!
Anything by Ray Charles, the Platters, Buddy Holly, Bill Black's combo, and so many more
Originally Posted by gunzo

What was interesting about that was how many people thought that it was describing Judy Blue Eyes as being sweet. Most DJs pronounced it like it was, so everyone went with that.
There is no 60's song more iconic than this one -

drover
I was 6 months old in a crib ! Mom played the chit out of it...1962
The Turtles "Happy Together"
Zager and Evans "In The Year 2525"
Spencer Davis Group "Gimme Some Lovin"

I remember all of it. Leslie Gore was from Tenafly, NJ, a few miles from where I lived. Just south of Tenafly was Englewood, where the Wicked Wilson Picket lived. He had a famous feud with the mayor as I recall.

The Beach Boys, Beatles, the Stones, and that quintessential New Jersey group, the Four Seasons, (Jersey Boys) were our AM radio favorites back then. We hung out in drive-ins like Stewart's and McDonald's, street raced, and tried to meet girls. I remember where I was when I first heard the Beatles on my car radio.

Memories....

The 50s were part of the 60s.

For my college friend, Joe, who left us much too soon.

all good stuff guys, thanks

Cannot remember all the times I played this, late at night while falling asleep. It might have been the first "album", not a 45, that I bought. Made me a fan of songs on albums by many artists that didn't get much airtime, outside of very late night stuff on "underground" FM stations. I mean, after all we can't have the childrens askin "momma, what's this gotta ball to have a good time mean".

Supposedly from a demo tape by Mr Zimmerman, for those who think about early anti-drug songs.........There are even earlier versions too, Mr Cash even sang a version:

Well, it's the 21st century now and there are more than a few skitzoids out there:

Geno

Yikes John, I believe you’re as nostalgic for that decade as I am. I didn’t even start on this thread. Wouldn’t know where to.

"Inna Garden of Eden"

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida

Album: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida
Artist: Iron Butterfly
Even though I wasn't born until July of 69', I remember this song well from my early youth.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4irXQhgMqg

I was ten when it came out! dang, gettin' old....

Yikes John, I believe you’re as nostalgic for that decade as I am. I didn’t even start on this thread. Wouldn’t know where to.

Love that music as well as many other things about that time in my life. It wasn't anywhere near a perfect time, but there were aspects of it that were wonderful.
Seems that I recall Reville and Taps quite well!!

Love that music as well as many other things about that time in my life. It wasn't anywhere near a perfect time, but there were aspects of it that were wonderful.

I would agree and exactly as you put it.

Originally Posted by Valsdad

Supposedly from a demo tape by Mr Zimmerman, for those who think about early anti-drug songs.........There are even earlier versions too, Mr Cash even sang a version:

That was really cool. 1961, now that's early Dylan. A student at the University of Minnesota at that time I think.

"Inna Garden of Eden"

In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida

Album: In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida
Artist: Iron Butterfly

I saw them in the Gym of a very small local college.

It was "concert seating", meaning we sat on the floor right in front of the stage with our smuggled in bottles of wine and other party favors.
I think it was 1970, but it may have been '71.

Originally Posted by okie

One cannot (according to DJs everywhere) invoke the name of Otis Redding without identifying him as "The Late and the Great Otis Redding".

the only hits in the 60s i remember was on a few Kennedys

Sorry, I don't know how to post with the websites etc.
How about Ray Stevens, Ahab the Arab.
Can't forget Tie Me Kangaroo Down Sport.

Wipe Out. But I forgot the words.

Always thought that was the best sounding song that particular group of individuals ever recorded. Together or individually. Period. Never liked the song’s message, but love the sound of it and the music and harmony.
I can't believe nobody's mentioned "Snoopy Versus the Red Baron" or "You and Me Babe."

Saw Janis Joplin live in San Francisco, and the Association ("Cherish") and Sonny and Cher during their fur-vest period in Bozeman, Montana, where I grew up, Probably would not have gone to Sonny and Cher, except for a beautiful girlfriend who had really nice.....

Great harmony singing!
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Probably would not have gone to Sonny and Cher, except for a beautiful girlfriend who had a really nice.....
personality.

Great 1964 hit !!!

Originally Posted by OrangeOkie

Used to have that on a Time/Life CD

Great one!
The Monkee’s best hit:

Umgh,

President Kennedy and Lee Harvey Oswald.

Do those count?
Originally Posted by okie

Awesome!

One of the best that you've never heard.

Can't ever pass up a chance to play this one.

Sugar Shack - great one!

I'll see your Carlos and raise you a Peter Green:

Geno

In South Dakota, that's "Jack Rabbit Woman".

Geno

Geno
One for the serious student of 60's music:

Geno

Geno

Great find and good memories!
Light my fire by The Doors

Revolution by the Beatles.

Geno

Great find and good memories!

Glad you liked it. I think I might still have the vinyl in a box somewhere.

I don't have this on vinyl, but it's from the same timeframe/area of the country:

Geno
This band influenced a whole lot of bands later:

Geno
Gawd.........20 years ago.......Great Falls Montana........

Just got done with a gig at the J Bar T. Had a cassette adapter for my cd player.

Velvet Underground CD.

Drove around listening to that till the sun came up. I wasn't even 21........
https://youtu.be/L5V9KUcYneg
Coolio Jim,

Young folks need to listen to that stuff.

Sometimes I wish I could get ahold of the masters and just listen to the music, no singing.

Geno
Originally Posted by Santiam

WOW! Makes that 1980's remake by those bimbos "Bananarama" seem like an insult.
I did a little research, and found that the guitar player on the right (blue print shirt) is, sadly, the only member of Shocking Blue still living. Time passes way too quickly.
https://youtu.be/TlTKhPkZSJo
You guys will like this one!!
Commander Cody and The Lost Planet Airmen had some great ones too........Hot Rod Lincoln cover being their big hit.

What a great song and she was sure easy on the eyes.

Not just "Smith", but "A Group Called Smith".
High school football, a young coach, who later had a son play safety in the NFL for Buddy Ryan, put his boney shoulder in my solar plexus, and knocked the wind out of me.

L.W.

That's a very young Levon Helm on the drums.

The gal that introduces the group at the start of the video is Leslie Uggams...The blind roommate of Deadpool.. Just some trivia. smile

[/quote]

That's a very young Levon Helm on the drums.[/quote]
Originally Posted by JeffyD

L.W.

That's a very young Levon Helm on the drums.

The first mention of anyone from The Band.
No slouches there......forgot them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycCZX-olchU&list=RDycCZX-olchU&index=1

Sorry for the links. The Reflections — ”Just Like Romeo and Juliet.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7fQgg_T9Gk

Or, “Lies” by the New Jersey Knickerbockers, a distinct, very good Beatlesque sound.

Two very good cuts.
Originally Posted by Whelenman
https://youtu.be/TlTKhPkZSJo
You guys will like this one!!

Could have done without the lyrics on the screen getting in the way.

Geno
Beatles should have been 'hung' shortly after stepping off the airplane onto American soil!! Fugged up music and soccer!!
Originally Posted by 19352012

Blaring on the 8-Track in my '67 Firebird as I pulled out of the parking lot on the day that they turned us seniors loose in 1969.

Great song. They turned me loose from high school same time. Might have had that song blaring on my 8 track, but don’t remember. Was driving a SS 396 Impala. Those days, high school and college were awesome for me. The last 51 years been good also. I’m a lucky sob.
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Beatles should have been 'hung' shortly after stepping off the airplane onto American soil!! Fugged up music and soccer!!

thanks for your opinion. wink

Geno

PS, if it hadn't been them, it would have been an American Band

Sugar Shack - great one!

LoveD that base rhythm on Sugar Shack.
How many remember the Airplane pre-Gracie?

Geno
And after:

Geno

PS White Rabbit is not their only song. wink

This one’s from the 70’s, but you can’t play Ricky Nelson without it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYi0NjS1JWU

“Oh where, oh where can my baby be?”
We didn't listen to much "hick" music in our house growing up. Mom and Dad did like Hee-Haw though, so I did get to hear some.

In case you folks think I only like and remember "hippie music" , here's one of my favorite country songs

Geno
Who besides me thinks the singer for Shocking Blue bears a resemblance to Lady Gaga?

ttt

She had some pipes that’s for sure!
We didn't listen to much "hick" music in our house growing up. Mom and Dad did like Hee-Haw though, so I did get to hear some.

In case you folks think I only like and remember "hippie music" , here's one of my favorite country songs

Geno

Here ya go Geno. Just for you buddy! By the way, I got to meet both of these fellows when I was a kiddo.

This one was # 1 in 1970, but since Kris Kristofferson wrote it in 1968, I figured it qualifies for a 60’s music thread. 🤠

Written by Micheal Nesmith of the Monkees

1969...My name's Bill,so I like this song..

Because I declared earlier that the 50s were part of the 60s:

It wasn't just the music that was better back then,so were the wimmin.

I was in a band in the 60s singing and playing guitar. We did a Pink Floyd song "Interstellar Overdrive". We couldn't give that away.
In 1972 I was hiked into a Mexican village, Zipolite and did an acoustic version. The European tourists loved it.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Geno

Here ya go Geno. Just for you buddy! By the way, I got to meet both of these fellows when I was a kiddo.

thanks,

that meeting them would have been cool for sure.

Geno
Gotta have some 60's blues too:

Geno
© 24hourcampfire