Home
Posted By: memtb “Possible” Food Shortages - 04/13/20

I realize that this has been mentioned previously, but with these stories continuing to return....it tends to lend credence! I know that “seemingly” some would rather die from starvation than Covid-19, but if we don’t put America back to work......food shortages can be our next big issue!

This also shows that a little preparedness can have long lasting benefits, namely....you don’t have to go out and expose yourself to potential Covid-19 infection and you can eat once the “food supply train” grinds to a halt. Just saying!

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/08/business/meat-plant-closures-coronavirus/index.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/11/business/coronavirus-destroying-food.html

https://www.businessinsider.com/sic...suppliers-sparking-shortage-fears-2020-4

Though a little late now.....but not for the next crisis! This is just one of “many” sites that gives information on getting prepared!

http://www.survivalfoodreserves.com...-for-the-coming-food-shortage-in-america

memtb
They say people are buying baby chicks, they want to raise eggs.
Folks are definitely to the point of saying fark it. I think that may prove to be a mistake and I hope that I’m dead assed wrong about this.

Bill Bennett was on FOX this morning saying it’s time to return to work and that this has been way overdone.

Was in the Zachary Home Depot this morning and all folks inside working and shopping were covered up with ppe except for me.

We’ve developed a new generation of germophobes it appears.
Originally Posted by wabigoon

They’re fairly popular at Easter time as pets. I guess they’re now pets with benefits.
Posted By: Teal Re: “Possible” Food Shortages - 04/13/20
The Chicken Rush has been popular in our area for years. Urban coops all over the place - springing up the last 3-5 years here.
Posted By: las Re: “Possible” Food Shortages - 04/13/20
I grew up eating real egg, and developed, for a time (when it swas my job to attend to them, feeding, watering forking chit...), that the only good chicken was a dead chicken..

In the last 50 years I have had maybe a dozen fresh eggs, and one of those was a seagull egg. Different, but not bad!

Store bought eggs are like store bought tomatoes. Just not up to the same quality level as real ones.
One the subject of chickens!

This is a photo of a drawing, of our chicken/garden area. My regrets are that it’s not complete....been “dragg’n” my butt on completing the project.

Outer perimeter chain-link fence - 8’ tall, 100x 100 feet
Interior chain - link cross-fence - 7 feet tall.....to separate chicken area from garden, to rotate every year
Chicken coop - has access door from outside perimeter, and chicken doors to each area
Large gates (10’) thru perimeter fence and interior cross-fence...can drive atv through
2- egress man-gates, either side of chicken coop

* The chickens, eat bugs, weed seeds, and fertilize one side.....rotate next year to other side

memtb

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Hey, that might work here! But probably not...

I'd keep chickens, but it just isn't worth the hassle with the brown bears. My neighbor tried it , but he didn't have the chain link. Chicken wire doesn't even slow the things down.... chain link might! Expensive eggs....

The only thingsI hated worse than the chickens as a teen, were turkeys. We would get several dozen chicks each year, and it was my job to herd (good luck with that!) them through our 1 acre garden twice a day to keep the grasshoppers down. They did love those!

It was also my job to whack heads come fall. I didn't mind that..... smile. Not even the plucking.

OH yeah, and pigs. I wasn't too fond of those things either, especially when they pissed all over me (I was the holder) while BIL cut them.
Also - I mentioned this the other day- locally, sugar and flour are hard to keep on the shelves recently it seems. They were bare last Tuesday afternoon, when my wife went grocery shopping ($700) for the next 2 weeks , and just a little at 8 a.m. Thursday, after the bi-weekly overnight delivery. Not more than 100-200 lbs each.

I bought 10 # each as we were out of both.

I'm thinking lots of baking/hoarding going on with the virus stay-at-homes.
Originally Posted by memtb

I realize that this has been mentioned previously, but with these stories continuing to return....it tends to lend credence! I know that “seemingly” some would rather die from starvation than Covid-19, but if we don’t put America back to work......food shortages can be our next big issue!
...."can be.."??? Oh, there WILL be - you can bet on it...

Bat eggs have been popular in china for long time.
I don't eat eggs or milk.
YOU, the general public are out of beef. Slaughter of cattle last week was the lowest ever recorded by a large margin. Logistics can be solved, but the lack of product is something that will take weeks to overcome.
I might be surprised; but I don't foresee any food shortages that will amount to anything. Remarkable logistics in this country; and very keen and innovative (yes, profit motivated) companies will bounce back fast.
Originally Posted by kid0917
I might be surprised; but I don't foresee any food shortages that will amount to anything. Remarkable logistics in this country; and very keen and innovative (yes, profit motivated) companies will bounce back fast.

About like toilet paper, eggs, hamburger, hand sanitizer, rubbing alcohol, paper towels and countless other things that aren't readily available in the stores at the moment. Three of the biggest hitters in the cattle slaughter - packing houses are closed down and the rest are running at half speed. You don't need to be a brain surgeon to see what's going to happen.
quite a few packing houses are closing because the workers are getting the virus

so while beef producers are getting royally screwed , shortages might well show up and wholesale prices ( and packer profits) have been at record highs
Fat cattle at 89$ today, that's CHEAP!
If it's continually the topic of conversation on the Internet people will continue to strip the store shelves bare because they've been whipped up into a Y2K type panic. STFU about any food shortage and let the stores stock the shelves in preparation for the relaxing of restrictions. Don't you think the avoid the grocery suggestion was made with that in mind ? Time for the chicken littles to stop screeching about the sky falling.
This is already on the internet. Have to see how it plays out. Would not hurt to be a bit prepared.

Richard, I'n no cattle guy so I'm guessing that's like a hundredweight price?

About $0.89/lb.

Where do I get one and who knows a good butcher around here? I might have to go to the local auction up the road.

What's the price on lambs..............I love lamb.

Geno
Originally Posted by gunswizard
If it's continually the topic of conversation on the Internet people will continue to strip the store shelves bare because they've been whipped up into a Y2K type panic. STFU about any food shortage and let the stores stock the shelves in preparation for the relaxing of restrictions. Don't you think the avoid the grocery suggestion was made with that in mind ? Time for the chicken littles to stop screeching about the sky falling.

Wait, you mean there's something wrong with a suburban household having 300 lbs of flour, 250 lbs of sugar, 75 bags of dried beans, 2-50lb bags of rice (they've never bought anything other than Uncle Ben's before), and a 25cuft freezer full of cuts of beef?

All of which they have no idea how to use? They're breaking the internet cooking pages probably, trying to figure out how to make Wonder Bread at home for little Suzie and Johnnie.

Geno
You can call in orders or do it online to HEB here, and they will deliver them to your house
There's a world of difference between being a "bit prepared" which I am sure goes on all the time and stripping the shelves bare which would be more indicative of a hoarding mentality. Sure there are lots of things on the Internet, doesn't mean they're true nor that they should be repeated ad nauseum.
Originally Posted by TrueGrit

About like toilet paper, eggs, hamburger, hand sanitizer, rubbing alcohol, paper towels and countless other things that aren't readily available in the stores at the moment. Three of the biggest hitters in the cattle slaughter - packing houses are closed down and the rest are running at half speed. You don't need to be a brain surgeon to see what's going to happen.

except for tp and hand sanitizer, we are not seeing any shortages of the other things you mention here in SE VA.
no, I am not a brain surgeon.
like I stated,,,,, I might be surprised.
time will tell.
Originally Posted by stxhunter
You can call in orders or do it online to HEB here, and they will deliver them to your house

We've been trying the internet order deal and pickup outside at the local Walmart which is 30 miles away. So far not impressed with the service.
It is nice to know that I have a tall upright full of elk, deer and about 200 Mourning and Eurasian doves. We are also stocked up on baby back ribs, brisket and chicken. As long as the power stays on, I have enough pellets for the smoker to run for months.

Should the power go out, plenty of doves and quail around here to be shot and I can grill them over the mesquite which is all over here.
MSM has been hawking "possible shortages" of every possible product all week. Today they say Smithfield (chinese owned company) has shut down pork production.
The JBS meat packing plant in Greeley, Colorado is shutting down for a time due to a Coronavirus outbreak there (some of the employees have died). 800 to 1000 employees a day have been calling in sick at the plant. They have 3000 or so employees there.
There's a JBS here too - never heard tho if they're closing or anything. Assume I'd have if they were.
Originally Posted by antlers
The JBS meat packing plant in Greeley, Colorado is shutting down for a time due to a Coronavirus outbreak there (some of the employees have died). 800 to 1000 employees a day have been calling in sick at the plant. They have 3000 or so employees there.

Interesting, nearly 1/3 of the employees calling in sick.

Now, how many have it?

How many are afraid of getting it?

How many are related, by marriage and/or siblings of another employee?

How many went to work with mild symptoms before "some of them died"?

How many of them were out and about in the community before they started getting sick, even though they knew someone who had been sick?

Geno
Originally Posted by Valsdad
Interesting, nearly 1/3 of the employees calling in sick. Now, how many have it? How many are afraid of getting it? How many are related, by marriage and/or siblings of another employee? How many went to work with mild symptoms before "some of them died"? How many of them were out and about in the community before they started getting sick, even though they knew someone who had been sick?
Bottom Line is...
Originally Posted by teal
There's a JBS here too - never heard tho if they're closing or anything. Assume I'd have if they were.
Don’t know where you’re at, but apparently JBS has also stopped operations at its beef plant in Souderton, Pennsylvania for a time.
Originally Posted by websterparish47
MSM has been hawking "possible shortages" of every possible product all week. Today they say Smithfield (chinese owned company) has shut down pork production.
Smithfield has basically shut down their beef plant in Sioux Falls, SD... Nearly 300 workers there have the virus..
Originally Posted by Redneck
Smithfield has basically shut down their beef plant in Sioux Falls, SD... Nearly 300 workers there have the virus..

Bet they were practicing social distancing, at work and at home, when they contracted it.

Geno
Interesting, nearly 1/3 of the employees calling in sick. Now, how many have it? How many are afraid of getting it? How many are related, by marriage and/or siblings of another employee? How many went to work with mild symptoms before "some of them died"? How many of them were out and about in the community before they started getting sick, even though they knew someone who had been sick?
Bottom Line is...

Well, they could maybe stay open if they hired some of the millions of unemployed?

Geno

No doubt this will negatively affect retail meat supply overall but you can count on real shortages now due to panic hoarding of what product there is available, thanks to the news media's typical, "THE SKY IS FALLING!", reporting.

except for tp and hand sanitizer, we are not seeing any shortages of the other things you mention here in SE VA.
time will tell.

Same here in SW VA
Well, they could maybe stay open if they hired some of the millions of unemployed?
Sure. The logistics of getting several thousand people moved into that part of the state from elsewhere, and getting all of em’ situated and the new employees trained, and the plant up and running should be a piece of cake.

About $0.89/lb.

Where do I get one and who knows a good butcher around here? I might have to go to the local auction up the road.

Geno

If you are truly serious about this you should probably make an appointment with the local locker before you go out and buy yourself one of those cheap beefs. The lockers around here are backed up for a couple months at least.

Geno

Sick bastard... grin
Originally Posted by muleshoe

About $0.89/lb.

Geno

If you are truly serious about this you should probably make an appointment with the local locker before you go out and buy yourself one of those cheap beefs. The lockers around here are backed up for a couple months at least.

Butchering is not that hard, think cutting up 5 elk all at once laugh

By the time you bone it out you will have about 40% of live weight in meat, and about 1k of bone, hide, and guts to get rid of. Easy peasy.
Originally Posted by las
Hey, that might work here! But probably not...

I'd keep chickens, but it just isn't worth the hassle with the brown bears. My neighbor tried it , but he didn't have the chain link. Chicken wire doesn't even slow the things down.... chain link might! Expensive eggs....

The only thingsI hated worse than the chickens as a teen, were turkeys. We would get several dozen chicks each year, and it was my job to herd (good luck with that!) them through our 1 acre garden twice a day to keep the grasshoppers down. They did love those!

It was also my job to whack heads come fall. I didn't mind that..... smile. Not even the plucking.

OH yeah, and pigs. I wasn't too fond of those things either, especially when they pissed all over me (I was the holder) while BIL cut them.

las, everything is “oil patch salvage”! Posts were 2 3/8” drill pipe concreted in, with “sucker rod” welded across the top of posts, “linking” the entire perimeter together.....seems to be “hell for stout”! The chicken house (coop) will have the most expense involved. I think that a bear would lose interest, before getting through. There’s about 6” to 10” beneath the ground surface to reduce “dig under” by small varmints, and will have electric fencing around perimeter top. I think we can discourage most anything but hawks, eagles, owls! memtb
The supply system is out of whack. Farms that used to supply dairies that packed single serving products for schools and institutional sales are dumping milk right now.

One important thing to remember is that portion size in restaurants is typically much larger than those cooked at home (disregarding the fact the cuts and quality levels are different), I think it is unlikely we will have a et shortage, but some cuts / species / sizes are going to be tight
300 workers in a Chinese-owned plant have the virus...wow.
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
300 workers in a Chinese-owned plant have the virus...wow.

About all you can say is WOW. That’ll be a while getting back to normal.
Originally Posted by stxhunter

We've been trying the internet order deal and pickup outside at the local Walmart which is 30 miles away. So far not impressed with the service.

Walmart and HEB are like night and day in how they operate.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/food/h...qDA7ZJWKaGzj9IdHF63MSsygzdcWsIcyesz0aeF4
Originally Posted by johnw

Geno

Sick bastard... grin

Well, someone had to say it.

Notice it's 'lamb", like one buys in the meat counter. Not sheep.

Them guys up in MT know about them. shocked

Geno
Lots of cheap chicken on the market. Without sports and Marti gras.

Smithfield is owned by China and just had a factory with 300 positive cases. Shut it down.

About $0.89/lb.

Geno

I might have to check on that.

Very few here now, don't even think there's a mobile butchering service anymore.

Geno
Originally Posted by ringworm

Smithfield is owned by China and just had a factory with 300 positive cases. Shut it down.
We're always talking about how much socialism we already have. Then give the Chinese some of their own medicine. Close it down, take it away and tell the Chinese to fook off.
Because it damned sure looks like the USA and its President were just too successful in quelling the spread of the virus. What better way to enhance it than to infect a meat plant?
Sure. The logistics of getting several thousand people moved into that part of the state from elsewhere, and getting all of em’ situated and the new employees trained, and the plant up and running should be a piece of cake.

Well, there are probably some FEMA trailers around, maybe they could ask The Donald to send a few hundred?

And training? Heck, just hire some of the folks here that are unemployed, they've done a deer or pig. Surely they can do a cow? And they can provide on the job training to those that never have.

Serious times call for serious measures, eh? Maybe we need a WPA for meatcutters? At least until this is over?

Geno

We're always talking about how much socialism we already have. Then give the Chinese some of their own medicine. Close it down, take it away and tell the Chinese to fook off.

That’s 300 American jobs, EE.

I’d hate to see that happen,
Because it damned sure looks like the USA and its President were just too successful in quelling the spread of the virus. What better way to enhance it than to infect a meat plant?

you don't think it just might be conditions in a meat/chicken packing plant could be just the ticket for spreading this without any other involvement than just one or a few workers contracting it and bringing it in while asymptomatic?

I mean, folks that might not have sick leave, or maybe they want to save it so they can watch the Super Bowl or the World Cup, so they come to work with "the sniffles". And stand shoulder to shoulder on a production line? And live 12 or more to an apartment?

Geno
IIRC - the Smithfield sale to the Chinese was done AFTER the Corona bug took off.

Geno

Sick bastard... grin

Geno

Geno

Sick bastard... grin

Geno

I

AM NOT

opening that video.

For all I know you are setting me up for kingston. shocked

Geno
IIRC - the Smithfield sale to the Chinese was done AFTER the Corona bug took off.

Was in 2016, maybe ? It’s been a while if I recall correctly.

Think it was 2013.
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

That's 3700 jobs closed down right now, if they are really shut down. Place is gigantic.
Originally Posted by Steve

Think it was 2013.

Yep.

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo...be-sold-to-chinese-firm-for-4-72-billion

Also hits the pig farmers who start losing money once the hogs hit the 150 pound mark.

Looks like you're right - I swear I read an article last week saying they bought them. Maybe not. With the Rona there are only 3 days now. Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow.
A LOT are losing money.
A LOT are losing money.

Has a farmer ever made money? None of the ones I talk to.

Looks like you're right - I swear I read an article last week saying they bought them. Maybe not. With the Rona there are only 3 days now. Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow.

Teal, I think that it’s Steve that’s right.

If I understand correctly, Smithfield hasn’t stopped buying smaller operations to bring under the Smithfield umbrella. That’s ongoing I believe.

You’re probably right,, too.
Originally Posted by 19352012
A LOT are losing money.

Worked with a guy who was in his late 40's then. Had just sold the family dairy farm and this was his first job outside of that. Told me that on paper they didn't make a ton of money but they were comfortable, fed well enough he needed to diet and he got to snowmobile as much as he wanted. Said farming was very good to him and his and couldn't complain. Also knew his body would never hold out.
Not just farmers.
A LOT are losing money.

Worked with a guy who was in his late 40's then. Had just sold the family dairy farm and this was his first job outside of that. Told me that on paper they didn't make a ton of money but they were comfortable, fed well enough he needed to diet and he got to snowmobile as much as he wanted. Said farming was very good to him and his and couldn't complain. Also knew his body would never hold out.

A few of them poor farmers I've seem have some dang nice diesel pick up trucks and "farm houses".

Others are like Conrad and Sam............regular folks.

Geno
A LOT are losing money.

A large part of my family is in farming. Ain’t a poor one in the bunch.
One of the advantages of Louisiana farming is the ability to double crop in a single year, weather permitting.

That helps plus several are also into raising trophy bulls breeding stocks. Some of the most beautiful Brahma Bulls I’ve ever seen. High dollar stuff.

Toot, if it's like most packing plants around here about half of those ain't Americans. But I didn't say leave it shut down. Just take it away from the Chinese. Personally, I'm sick of their shixt. It's time for them to pay and pay big.

That's because the chickens are literally coming home to roost. Lots of past actions are now impacting us and becoming if not more newsworthy then more noteworthy.
He drove a Ford - probably about 6 years old at the time. Small dairy op - especially compared to the monsters going now. One night we went from his place 20 miles west of Green Bay to Wausau and back on snowmobiles. I was 20 at the time and it was all I could do to keep up to him on a sled. Dude could ride. Got the WORSE frostbite of my life that night.

Hell one local "farmer" died 1 or 2 years ago in a private airplane crash. His own, twin engine Cessna. Not some old beater either. He's a massive operation tho.

Toot, if it's like most packing plants around here about half of those ain't Americans. But I didn't say leave it shut down. Just take it away from the Chinese. Personally, I'm sick of their shixt. It's time for them to pay and pay big.

I hear what you’re saying.
Mississippi had some of the chicken processing plants raided and it was a considerable amount of wets that got deported and caused the operations to shutdown.

Also hits the pig farmers who start losing money once the hogs hit the 150 pound mark.
It's like I've posted before. The kind of pig farmers you're talking about don't exist anymore. Big outfits like Smithfield own both ends of the market. You can't sell big lots of hogs to them because they raise their own. Poultry went first. The market for farmer's hogs is essentially just for butcher hogs or pigs to raise and butcher or for kid's 4-H projects. There might be some good money in four or five hogs per year or the like, but you can't make a living at it. The last refuge I know of is beef, which is currently way down but not down at the stores.

Mississippi had some of the chicken processing plants raided and it was a considerable amount of wets that got deported and caused the operations to shutdown.

Great business model..........................

Until it's not........................

kind of like streetcorner capitalism.

Don't get caught and things run pretty smoothly.

Geno

Yes. Out west of us are lots of beef processing plants whereas points south and east have lots of poultry. They're not all Mexicans either and some may be legal but still not able to speak English.
Outbreak and 2 deaths at the massive JBS meat packing plant down the road from me in Greeley. Being shut down:

https://www.9news.com/mobile/articl.../73-a44605aa-1f96-4b80-b84f-3a16fdccc077

It's like I've posted before. The kind of pig farmers you're talking about don't exist anymore. Big outfits like Smithfield own both ends of the market. You can't sell big lots of hogs to them because they raise their own. Poultry went first. The market for farmer's hogs is essentially just for butcher hogs or pigs to raise and butcher or for kid's 4-H projects. There might be some good money in four or five hogs per year or the like, but you can't make a living at it. The last refuge I know of is beef, which is currently way down but not down at the stores.

Several of the guys that I worked with have the chicken raising operations going on and they’ve been doing okay but operate on a thin margin. Everything that they raise is contracted out to Miss Goldie. It’s worth their while. They own the properties.

They’re in Mississippi and East Texas.
https://www.kunc.org/post/jbs-worlds-largest-meat-company-mired-multiple-corruption-scandals-brazil
JBS of Brazil owns the US beef - meat processing in the US of A.
We need to be able to sell beef off the farm to the consumer by the pound. But the government wouldn’t have any control over the beef industry.

Geno

Geno, there was some squalling going on and apparently the processors that were affected got the bleeding hearts involved.

Didn’t help. Across the border they went.
Talking about this,,,,,,.....I gotta get up off my ass and go put my daily ration of deer corn out.

Later, Boys.

That's 3700 jobs closed down right now, if they are really shut down. Place is gigantic.

It's the Sioux City plant that closed down.

Geno

Geno, there was some squalling going on and apparently the processors that were affected got the bleeding hearts involved.

Didn’t help. Across the border they went.

Growing up near the border 50+ years ago, all I can say is that kind of thing should have been happening on a regular basis back then.

Maybe then we really would have had a workable solution to the migrant worker problems.

But, we might not be able to get rotisserie chicken at the Costco for $5 anymore.

Might coast us $6 and the supply chains just might have to accept smaller margins.

Yeah, like that is ever going to go over big in the business world.

Gen
https://nypost.com/2020/04/13/starv...ibalism-during-the-coronavirus-lockdown/

Lock the cities down for two more months and the hood varieties of these will also be going at it.
Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
It is nice to know that I have a tall upright full of elk, deer and about 200 Mourning and Eurasian doves. We are also stocked up on baby back ribs, brisket and chicken. As long as the power stays on, I have enough pellets for the smoker to run for months.

Should the power go out, plenty of doves and quail around here to be shot and I can grill them over the mesquite which is all over here.

i mentioned on another forum, we are feeding some feral cats in the back yard and abot 15or so ringnecked dove come in for the left over cat/goat feed. a guy posted informing me it was against the law, big fines to feed the wildlife. in my backyard in a subdivision in phx? the cats are all over the map from wild to very docile with my wife. I just commented last week i like those dove, and it would be no issue to pop a meal a day out of the ones that come in. and there is no season and no permit required as they are an invasive species. some of them look about the size of quail.

few years ago i barbequed about 150 dove for the fourth of july. they lasted one day after beiiing cooked.
If you pop some Euros, take the meat off the bone and fry them up like chicken nuggets. Everyone we have tried to grill on the bone has been chewy.
Those Eurasians are thick where I’m at in southern Colorado. Much rather eat the blue quail that are out here though.
Why feed ferel cats? They reek havoc on endangered song birds, quail etc

Originally Posted by RoninPhx

i mentioned on another forum, we are feeding some feral cats in the back yard and abot 15or so ringnecked dove come in for the left over cat/goat feed. a guy posted informing me it was against the law, big fines to feed the wildlife. in my backyard in a subdivision in phx? the cats are all over the map from wild to very docile with my wife. I just commented last week i like those dove, and it would be no issue to pop a meal a day out of the ones that come in. and there is no season and no permit required as they are an invasive species. some of them look about the size of quail.

few years ago i barbequed about 150 dove for the fourth of july. they lasted one day after beiiing cooked.
If you pop some Euros, take the meat off the bone and fry them up like chicken nuggets. Everyone we have tried to grill on the bone has been chewy.

i hunted for a long time with a guy that was the top dog vet in charge of brand inspectors for the state. hunting dove one day he shot a euro just so he could disect it. interesting procedure.
we use to have lot of mourning dove coming in to the house, but the collared/euro's have i think pushed them out.
the are bigger, and i think more agressive.
I seen this coming months ago planted 100 pd of potatoes normal plant 50 pd and got my seed early for squash cucumber etc normally buy tomato plants but got a pack of seed early have over 200 plants now and all the growers are sold out several weeks ago far to early still had frost yesterday
Great idea you guys have, let's blab this all over the internet, that way meat will follow toilet paper into unobatnium due to hoarding behavior. Geniuses !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Interesting, I may have to try that when I need to start dipping into the emergency food supply as I call the ones that come in for my quail and jay feed.

Geno

Ron, it may well be against the law to feed wildlife in AZ, including those cats. I haven't checked. But here in Cali one is allowed to feed the birds. Not the deer, just the birds.

Geno
Great idea you guys have, let's blab this all over the internet, that way meat will follow toilet paper into unobatnium due to hoarding behavior. Geniuses !!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was “only” talking to my friends on the “fire”! Just wanted to give you folks a “heads-up”, on what is potentially ahead for us! It seems that most people, including many here at the “fire”, are woefully unprepared for any form of outage! memtb

You can’t be that fuggin stupid.

You can’t be.
Originally Posted by ribka
Why feed ferel cats? They reek havoc on endangered song birds, quail etc

Taste like chicken?

Ron, it may well be against the law to feed wildlife in AZ, including those cats. I haven't checked. But here in Cali one is allowed to feed the birds. Not the deer, just the birds.

Geno

Looking for appropriate video.

Sick bastard... shocked

You can’t be.

you should avoid gambling...
Poultry is the only ag legal animal in city limits here. Must be a carryover from past hard times.
from the linked article:

https://www.ecowatch.com/meat-processing-plants-coronavirus-2645711732.html

wouldn't be a HUGE agenda, here, would there guys?

"For animal welfare advocates, however, the spread of the new coronavirus at meat processing plants is just another symptom of the industry's disregard for both human and animal life.

"Even without the connection to coronavirus, animal flesh is one of the most cruelly obtained and unhealthy things you could consume," People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals wrote. "Eating meat has been conclusively linked to heart disease, cancer, obesity, and other health issues — and according to the United Nations, animal agriculture is responsible for nearly a fifth of human-induced greenhouse-gas emissions. But each person who goes vegan won't just help fight climate change — they'll also save the lives of nearly 200 animals a year, animals who, just like us, don't want to be killed. Don't wait for COVID-20 — forget freezer meat and go vegan now."

Cool. Cant wait to see the wet markets spring up in NYC Chicago, St Louis etc.

Should help w the stray cat and dog probs.
The Chicken Rush has been popular in our area for years. Urban coops all over the place - springing up the last 3-5 years here.

My rooster crows in response to a rooster in the distance west of here and one in the distance east of here. So I know there are at least two other houses with chickens within a few hundred yards of my home.

I've been keeping chickens for eggs for about ten years now.
we only feed a few ferals, cats, that have been hanging around for a long time. several people on the street are feeding rather large cat colonies, and my ferals don't like company and keep them away. but we have kind of an ecosystem. there is a big owl that hits the cats at feeding time, air lifts them up, and drops them. then proceeds off for lunch.
and a pack of coyotes running the neighborhood after the cats.
not to mention the various hawks that go after them.

i have an old palm tree, that i don't trim, for the bird populations. guy across the street at one time was training his retrievers with pigeons where he had cropped their wings. when he moved he turned the pigeons loose, who walked across the street and took up residence in the palm. probably ten generations later they are still there. along with several other species of birds.
cats get a few, and the hawks make a living off them too.
something to see a hawk hit a pigeon in the air at about 50mph. kaboom.
i have been thinking about putting chickens in the back yard for years.
Tyson meat plant near Tri-Cities to stay open despite coronavirus outbreak there

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Walla Walla County health officials say they will allow the Tyson Fresh Meats plant near the Tri-Cities to continue operating with additional measures to protect workers from the new coronavirus.

About 42 people — most, if not all of them, employees — are believed to have COVID-19 linked to an outbreak at the Wallula plant, with health officials expecting more cases.

Interesting, I may have to try that when I need to start dipping into the emergency food supply as I call the ones that come in for my quail and jay feed.

Geno

my prefered method for dove is to strip off the breast meat, throw the rest of the bird away. lightly brown. then take a jalopeno pepper, strip out the veins and seeds, insert breas meat filling up with phillie cream cheese. wrap pepper with bacon, and grill. when bacon is done, pepper is done. they disappear in a hurry.
back in the 70's i could get a limit of quail in probably 15minutes. we just when from one covey to another, never bothering with singles.
but the quail populations are way down from what they use to be.

there is a chinese restaurant right around the corner. if times get real bad, might have to work out a deal with them on those cats.

time will tell.

I have not seen flour in a month. Sugar is around. I have not seen toilet paper in a month. I have not seen yeast in a month. I've not seen hand sanitizer in who knows when.

Thankfully we were set for a bit with all the above and can continue onward a while, well actually longer than a while really, BUT who the hell is still buying so much?

At least there are cattle roaming the 100 acres.. not that we'll run out of venison of differing flavors in the freezer for some time.
Control the food . Control the population. People will do anything they are told for some food.

About $0.89/lb.

Geno

I might have to check on that.

Very few here now, don't even think there's a mobile butchering service anymore.

Geno

Can what doesn't fit in the freezer.
All I gotta say, we run outta bacon and there's gonna be hell to pay.
lol,, yeah , love me some bacon
Bound to happen.
The largest pork plant in S. Dakota, one of the largest in the US, is shutting down.

Sign of the times??
I was told by an Italian immigrant, years ago, a dictator takes good care of the farmers. Food for the people.
Originally Posted by earlybrd
I seen this coming months ago planted 100 pd of potatoes normal plant 50 pd and got my seed early for squash cucumber etc normally buy tomato plants but got a pack of seed early have over 200 plants now and all the growers are sold out several weeks ago far to early still had frost yesterday

With that foresight did you also short the DJIA and the NASDAQ ?

You can’t be.

you should avoid gambling...

John, the truth hurts but I think that you’re right !
Grins
© 24hourcampfire