Home
Cool and blustery with a bit of snow at times, but the marmots are still coming out. I suspect the rut is on, so they'll likely endure anything.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

More of a portrait.
Been airing out a ton of ground squirrels, but giving these guys a pass.
Great pictures as always. When I go to Idaho to my families ranches they do not get a pass. They are hell on Alfalfa.
I enjoy seeing them up in the high country hiking and hearing their calls
We had a warm winter and they came out early here. I've seen a lot of them.
I like them with the red mist behind them. They are hard on the ditch banks, almost as destructive as musk rats! Nice pictures, always looking forward to your wifes pictures!
Ah...the Little People
They look like they have a lead deficiency.
I've always wanted to hunt yellow bellied marmots since reading Bob Milek's articles in the 1980s.

There's not many in Alberta, but where they are, they seem to be numerous. Strangely, they are protected here, yet is I cared to haul a rifle up into sheep country, the hoary marmot is legal game.
Those are great pics.
Yea... we call them rock chucks. They are hell on fields (alfalfa). It is interesting to me most in east Idaho area are darker in color. A dark brown/rust brown is what I'd call the color. And, yes I've seen them go bright red while having a reticle in view. smile
Don't know why, but given their propensity to occupy rocky rims for the most part, they are rarely an issue in alfalfa. No one farms in rock strewn terrain here, as most alfalfa pivots are down on flat deep soiled terrain. Now Belding's Ground Squirrels are something else entirely, literally occupying well drained alfalfa fields. If ones soil has a high clay content, there's a shift to gophers.

Cost about 6 grand to clear a 120 acre pivot of squirrels, and near all agree it's cost effective.
Originally Posted by 1minute
Cool and blustery with a bit of snow at times, but the mammaries are still coming out. I suspect the rut is on, so they'll likely endure anything.

Insert photos of Bill Clinton and Joe Biden
© 24hourcampfire