Home
https://www.stripes.com/news/vetera...nam-heroics-dies-of-coronavirus-1.626499
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
By NIKKI WENTLING | STARS AND STRIPES
Published: April 17, 2020

WASHINGTON — Medal of Honor recipient Bennie Adkins, who was given the nation’s highest military honor for heroically fighting off enemies and saving wounded soldiers in Vietnam, died April 17 from complications caused by the coronavirus.

Adkins, who was 86, was hospitalized March 26 at the East Alabama Medical Center in his hometown of Opelika, Alabama. He was admitted to the intensive care unit and put on a ventilator after experiencing respiratory failure. He died April 17 according to a message posted to his foundation’s Facebook page. He is one of thousands of Americans to die from the virus since late February.

Adkins is credited with killing 135 to 175 Vietnamese in a nearly four-day battle while being wounded 18 times and helping fellow soldiers to safety. For those acts, former President Barack Obama presented Adkins with the Medal of Honor in 2014.

“I have to be honest, in a battle and daring escape that lasted four days, Bennie performed so many acts of bravery we actually don’t have time to talk about all of them,” Obama said during the ceremony.

Adkins was born in Waurika, Oklahoma, and drafted into the military at age 22 in 1956, during the early years of the Vietnam War. He volunteered for Special Forces and deployed three times to Vietnam between 1963 and 1971.

He was awarded the Medal of Honor for acts of valor during his second tour in Vietnam in 1966. At the time, he was a sergeant first class serving with detachment A-102, 5 th Special Forces Group (Airborne), 1 st Special Forces. Adkins was an intelligence sergeant, and his unit was responsible for tracking enemy movements.

Early on the morning of March 9, 1966, hundreds of North Vietnamese descended on their camp, Camp A Shau, which was also pounded with mortars and rocket-propelled grenades. Adkins rushed through the intense enemy fire to man a mortar position to repel the attack, his Medal of Honor citation says. Despite being wounded by shrapnel, Adkins ran through mortar fire to reach wounded soldiers and drag them to safety.

Enemy forces launched their main attack the following day. Within hours, Adkins was the only soldier left firing mortars. When he was out of rounds, he used a recoilless rifles, small arms and hand grenades to fight off intense waves of attacking Viet Cong, the citation says. He ran back and forth from a mortar pit to a bunker through enemy fire through the battle, gathering ammunition.

He and a small group of other soldiers destroyed their signal equipment and classified documents and then escaped by digging through the back of the bunker and fighting their way out of camp. Adkins led the men through the jungle until they were rescued by helicopter on March 12.

He exhibited “extraordinary heroism and selflessness,” the Medal of Honor citation reads.

“We were not going to be prisoners of war, whatever we had to do,” Adkins said in a 2015 interview with Stars and Stripes.

Adkins and Katie Jackson, an instructor at Auburn University, co-authored a book in 2018 titled, “A Tiger Among Us: A Story of Valor in Vietnam’s A Shau Valley.” The book details Adkins’ military experiences and his life after the Army. Jackson said she sat for multiple interviews with Adkins, collecting about 20 hours of tape to use for the book.

“I think what probably struck me is that he wasn’t interested in bragging — it wasn’t about him,” Jackson said. “It was almost a challenge to get him to talk about himself. To talk about his own accomplishments was really hard for him to do.

Also apparent was his resilience, she said.

“He not only survived the battle and a number of other close calls in his years of service, but he came back to a time when Vietnam veterans were discriminated against,” Jackson said. “That’s when he began to realize he wasn’t going to have opportunities, job wise, when he retired. His further education became important to him.”

Following his tours in Vietnam, Adkins held other jobs with the Army, including as a trainer at the jungle warfare school at Fort Sherman, located at the northern end of the Panama Canal. He retired from the Army as a command sergeant major in 1978.

Adkins obtained a bachelor’s degree and two master’s degrees after his military service. Later in life, he was inspired to help other retired servicemembers with college. He created the Bennie Adkins Foundation to provide educational scholarships to Special Forces soldiers to aid their transition from military to civilian life.

Adkins and his wife, Mary, settled in Opelika. He established his own accounting firm and operated it for 22 years. He also taught classes as an adjunct instructor at Auburn University and Southern Union Junior College in Wadley, Ala.

He and Mary, who were married more than 60 years, had four sons, a daughter and many grandchildren and great-grandchildren. Mary Adkins died in February 2019.

Jackson, who also lives in Opelika, a town of about 30,000, said the community regarded Adkins as a celebrity. The town’s meeting center was named in honor of Adkins, and he was a regular presence in Opelika’s parades. Adkins spoke about his military experience to the townspeople, from church and military groups to kindergarten classes. When he received the Medal of Honor in 2014, the town celebrated Adkins as a hero.

“He was somebody people knew and loved,” Jackson said. “When you meet Bennie, you wouldn’t have ever thought he was this warrior. He’s such a gentleman, and very low-key — a rather quiet and distinguished guy. I think a lot of people were just amazed.”

Bennie Adkins was known as an animated storyteller who loved to crack jokes. For years, he traveled across the country speaking about his military experiences.

“My fourth career is traveling and trying to instill patriotism in our young people,” he told Stars and Stripes.

After Adkins was hospitalized, his family was unable to see him because of visitor restrictions put in place to stem the spread of the coronavirus. Before he died, Jackson said she had been in contact with his children, who were thankful for the medical staff treating him.

“He is certainly a hero, but he is also in the hands of heroes at this point,” Jackson said. “They’re willing to put their own lives on the line to take care of him, and that’s not lost on the family at all.”
RIP.
RIP old soldier.
RIP...
"Put silver wings.. Upon my Chest...
Make me one, of America's Best...
100 Men, we'll test today..
only three will win the Green Beret..."

Bernie, you certainly were one of America's best....

and now, the Good Lord has called you home...

may you be with our heavenly Father now...and your wife of 60 years...

and thank you for your service to our nation....
R.I.P.
Originally Posted by Seafire

Couldn't say it better. RIP sir. A man among boys and a life well lived
Originally Posted by 007FJ
Originally Posted by Seafire

Couldn't say it better. RIP sir. A man among boys and a life well lived

Could not have said it better, too bad he had to wait until Obama to get that award.
RIP Warrior!
RIP Bennie.
De Oppresso Liber- Bennie, the men in 5th Group and MACVSOG will remember you.

Keep the door open for us, Sergeant Major.

Ridge Marriott
LtCol-USA-R
1st LT(MACVSOG-5th SFG(ABN)
1971-72 KheSanh
I have such admiration for veterans, I feel humbled.
Rest in peace brave soldier.
RIP.....AATW!
Quite the man. Godspeed soldier.
RIP.
RIP Sir
Thank you for a job well done!
Here here.
RIP forever the brave

Osky
RIP and GOD bless

Chinks need to pay
Just as a side note: Nobody dies of the corona virus. The virus by itself is not lethal. People die when vital body organs shut down caused by things like heart attack, stroke, cancer, pneumonia, etc.

God rest Bennie's soul.
A friend of mine was a Capt in the Special Forces and also served in Vietnam and is about the same age. I sent him an email this morning asking if he knew him. This was his reply: "I met CSM Adkins at Ft Bragg, quite a while ago. But within the SF, his performance in combat was well known long before recognized by award of CMOH. He was a 'pistol'." (CSM is Command Sgt Major and is the highest non-com rank in the Army.)
RIP. Hasbeen
The World is diminished with his loss.RIP CSM Bennie
RIP sir !!
Dayam. Just Dayam.

RIP Bennie Adkins.
RIP soldier!
RIP CSM Adkins.
Rest In Peace
How did he catch The Corona?
RIP Great Warrior.
Rest easy, CSM Adkins.
Originally Posted by deflave

Entertaining the nursing students working at the VA.
Originally Posted by deflave

Perhaps a better question is why in the hell did it take nearly 50 years for CSM Adkins to honored with the MOH?

Sacrilege.
SERGEANT FIRST CLASS
BENNIE G. ADKINS
UNITED STATES ARMY

For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty:

Sergeant First Class Bennie G. Adkins distinguished himself by acts of gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving as an Intelligence Sergeant with Detachment A-102, 5th Special Forces Group, 1st Special Forces, during combat operations against an armed enemy at Camp A Shau, Republic of Vietnam from March 9 to 12, 1966. When the camp was attacked by a large North Vietnamese and Viet Cong force in the early morning hours, Sergeant First Class Adkins rushed through intense enemy fire and manned a mortar position continually adjusting fire for the camp, despite incurring wounds as the mortar pit received several direct hits from enemy mortars. Upon learning that several soldiers were wounded near the center of camp, he temporarily turned the mortar over to another soldier, ran through exploding mortar rounds and dragged several comrades to safety. As the hostile fire subsided, Sergeant First Class Adkins exposed himself to sporadic sniper fire while carrying his wounded comrades to the camp dispensary. When Sergeant First Class Adkins and his group of defenders came under heavy small arms fire from members of the Civilian Irregular Defense Group that had defected to fight with the North Vietnamese, he maneuvered outside the camp to evacuate a seriously wounded American and draw fire all the while successfully covering the rescue. When a resupply air drop landed outside of the camp perimeter, Sergeant First Class Adkins, again, moved outside of the camp walls to retrieve the much needed supplies. During the early morning hours of March 10, 1966 enemy forces launched their main attack and within two hours, Sergeant First Class Adkins was the only man firing a mortar weapon. When all mortar rounds were expended, Sergeant First Class Adkins began placing effective recoilless rifle fire upon enemy positions. Despite receiving additional wounds from enemy rounds exploding on his position, Sergeant First Class Adkins fought off intense waves of attacking Viet Cong. Sergeant First Class Adkins eliminated numerous insurgents with small arms fire after withdrawing to a communications bunker with several soldiers. Running extremely low on ammunition, he returned to the mortar pit, gathered vital ammunition and ran through intense fire back to the bunker. After being ordered to evacuate the camp, Sergeant First Class Adkins and a small group of soldiers destroyed all signal equipment and classified documents, dug their way out of the rear of the bunker and fought their way out of the camp. While carrying a wounded soldier to the extraction point he learned that the last helicopter had already departed. Sergeant First Class Adkins led the group while evading the enemy until they were rescued by helicopter on March 12, 1966. During the thirty-eight-hour battle and forty-eight hours of escape and evasion, fighting with mortars, machine guns, recoilless rifles, small arms, and hand grenades, it was estimated that Sergeant First Class Adkins killed between one hundred thirty five and one hundred seventy five of the enemy while sustaining eighteen different wounds to his body. Sergeant First Class Adkins' extraordinary heroism and selflessness above and beyond the call of duty are in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit upon himself, Detachment A-102, 5th Special Forces Group, 1st Special Forces and the United States Army.[2]
Day is done
Gone the sun
From the lake
From the hill
From the sky
All is well
Safely rest
God is nigh
Go to sleep
Peaceful sleep
May the soldier
Or the sailer
God keep
On the land
Or the deep
Safe in sleep
Love, good night
Must thou go
When the day
And the night
Need thee so?
All is well
Speedeth all
To their rest
Fades the light
And afar
Goeth day
And the stars
Shineth bright
Fare thee well
Day has gone
Night is on
Thanks and praise
For our days
'Neath the sun
'Neath the stars
'Neath the sky
As we go
This we know
God is nigh

Thank you for your service, Command Sergeant Major. RIP
One other thought on this,
the yellow man couldnt kill him fair and square, but had to revert to a bio weapon to kill him in his old age.
This is indeed sad. RIP
© 24hourcampfire