Home
Something for you Science lover:

I'm interested to see which of you will be the first to create a own wormhole in his reloading room.

a_s,

I didn't watch the video, but regarding your reloading room comment. I can attempt it but need to know, will black powder work or do I have to wait for the newest "R" powder to come out..............perhaps R279?

It might be a fun experiment.

Geno
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
Will Wormholes Allow Fast Interstellar Travel?

I didn't watch the video either.
Last time I tried using a wormhole to expedite my travels I found it more than a little difficult to keep under control, accuracy was the bigger issue and that was with the windows rolled up in my truck..
I have everything I need to reload .357 SIG, but I don't have the gun or the bullet trap. Once I have that all set, we'll see...
Most likely not.
Folding the space time continuum between points will and must be done at the quantum level.
We gotta get the "Hot Tub Time Machine" perfected 1st.
I think gravnometric gradient would be a more immediate problem.

BTW, did LHC ever produce black holes? Is LHC still there? wink
Originally Posted by JeffA

Last time I tried using a wormhole to expedite my travels I found it more than a little difficult to keep under control, accuracy was the bigger issue and that was with the windows rolled up in my truck..

Windows closed is correct, but you need to put the tailgate down.
Do you mean faster than the way we do it now??
They generally make my riflestock a bit lighter. But not much.
I have wormholes in my lawn that make it take LONGER to mow.

Wormholes have yet to prove themselves any manner of a time-saver.
I'll be serious. I doubt it. However we are familiar with many things today that were only a dream once.
I'm in the school that believes these are from Revelations from The Holy Spirit.
Don't know, but the "mole hole" damn sure will.
Sniper is “Bogarting” the blunt,,,,,again.

😬😎
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Sniper is “Bogarting” the blunt,,,,,again.

😬😎

Thought Friday was the gray bong. ??

LMAO. smile
Can my Airstream fit through a wormhole? I want access to a kitchen should things go south.
Originally Posted by Theo Gallus
Originally Posted by JeffA

Windows closed is correct, but you need to put the tailgate down.

Thanks, I knew I was doing sumtin rong.....
The problem is there's never a wormhole around when and where you need it.
Every wormhole I've ever tried ended up adding 50% to time and distance I had to travel. The old established route is faster.
Originally Posted by horse1
I have wormholes in my lawn that make it take LONGER to mow.

Wormholes have yet to prove themselves any manner of a time-saver.

Thanks for the reminder. I need to move some worms over to the garden.

I'm not sure about interstellar travel, but more wormholes help the veggies grow faster.

Geno
From what I'm understanding he's saying the event horizons of black holes are not where light can't escape but the entrance to a worm hole. Doesn't that kind of blow away the whole notion of black holes being collapsed stars with gravity so strong that not even light can escape?

If they are areas of extreme density and gravity, any human approaching the event horizon would be squashed to a sub-atomic thickness. They might actually cross the event horizon and traverse a worm hole but the intervening death would definitely limit their enjoyment of the journey.

Basically, anything resembling FTL tends to be immediately fatal to human bodies, although it's not necessarily the acceleration. I once wrote a simple program to see how long it would take to reach C at a steady and safe 1G acceleration and it turns out it takes a bit over three days. What happens as you approach C is unknown. If you used an ion impulse engine or anything that could provide the constant acceleration to get you to C you could then perhaps use whatever altered physics is happening there to traverse or transition to FTL and survive. At least you wouldn't need the fictional "inertial dampeners" of Star Trek to suspend a fundamental law of physics and prevent everybody on board from becoming jelly on the back bulkheads as the ship accelerated instantly to FTL.

Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
From what I'm understanding he's saying the event horizons of black holes are not where light can't escape but the entrance to a worm hole. Doesn't that kind of blow away the whole notion of black holes being collapsed stars with gravity so strong that not even light can escape?

If they are areas of extreme density and gravity, any human approaching the event horizon would be squashed to a sub-atomic thickness. They might actually cross the event horizon and traverse a worm hole but the intervening death would definitely limit their enjoyment of the journey.

Basically, anything resembling FTL tends to be immediately fatal to human bodies, although it's not necessarily the acceleration. I once wrote a simple program to see how long it would take to reach C at a steady and safe 1G acceleration and it turns out it takes a bit over three days. What happens as you approach C is unknown. If you used an ion impulse engine or anything that could provide the constant acceleration to get you to C you could then use whatever physics is doing there to traverse or transition to FTL and survive. At least you wouldn't need the fictional "inertial dampeners" of Star Trek to suspend a fundamental law of physics and prevent everybody on board from becoming jelly on the back bulkheads as the ship accelerated instantly to FTL.

Another explanation that I’ve seen before - and this is a gross oversimplification - is that even if you could enter and traverse it from one side to the other, whatever part of you - or whatever you are in - that makes contact with the hole would be instantly transported to the other side. Meaning that those portions that haven’t made contact would still be on this side. Even if for an instant, that would do no good for you or your craft.

I’m not smart enough to know if this is a viable way to travel. But I’m smart enough to know that putting my hand in a wood chipper, or meat grinder or any some such device is not a good idea. Maybe they’ll figure it out one day. I hope they do anyway...

Basically, anything resembling FTL tends to be immediately fatal to human bodies, although it's not necessarily the acceleration. I once wrote a simple program to see how long it would take to reach C at a steady and safe 1G acceleration and it turns out it takes a bit over three days. What happens as you approach C is unknown. If you used an ion impulse engine or anything that could provide the constant acceleration to get you to C you could then perhaps use whatever altered physics is happening there to traverse or transition to FTL and survive. At least you wouldn't need the fictional "inertial dampeners" of Star Trek to suspend a fundamental law of physics and prevent everybody on board from becoming jelly on the back bulkheads as the ship accelerated instantly to FTL.

Your first two paragraphs are correct. Besides, it would take millions of years to travel to the nearest black hole. And no "wormholes" have even been proven to exist.

The answer to the OP's question is "No."

Your third paragraph is not correct. We have known about the physics at the speed of light (or close to it) since 1905. As you accelerate toward light speed, the propulsion energy goes more and more into merely increasing the mass of your ship, compressing it toward flatness, and slowing down time in it. If you could go at exactly the speed of light, the mass of your ship would become infinite, it would become perfectly flat, and time would cease to exist. But you would notice nothing at all. These effects would only appear to those left behind. Theoretically, you could go millions of light years in a few minutes, but when you returned, the earth would be millions of years older.
If half the country thinks Biden would make a good president, something tells me we'll never master interstellar travel.
Not in our lifetime, so..........................
First you need the Spice, Melange. After generations of exposure to and consumption of the Spice, evolutionary development will produce Navigators, who can fold space, making long-range interstellar travel no problemo.
Something for you Science lover:

I'm interested to see which of you will be the first to create a own wormhole in his reloading room.

.......................LOL!!............I happen to be a science lover. Interestingly and aside from wormholes in a reloading room, ya gotta get TO the wormhole in order to try and pass through it. According to google or wikipedia, the nearest so called wormhole or black hole to earth is approx 3,000 light years distant....17,597 trillion miles or 17,597,000- billion miles whichever you prefer.

The fastest ever man made UNMANNED spacecraft was the Parker Solar Probe surpassing 154,454 MPH. So lets do some calculatin.......

154,454 mph x 24 hours per day = 3,706,896 miles per day x 365 days per year = 1,353,017,040 miles per year.

1,353,017,040 miles per year divided into 17,597 trillion miles = 13,005,749 years to get to the closest black/worm hole traveling at 154,454 MPH or 226,532 FPS.

All these space geek videos crack me up. In theory and in lab experiments they might be or are probably all correct. BUT! In reality no human will ever get beyond our own solar system,,,, if that.

You can combine all of the known elements to man within the earth in any way, manner, shape or form you want. No combo of any known elements will ever produce such propulsion speeds needed for exploring deep stellar space let alone worm holes. Fascinating to discuss and read about though.

13 million plus years traveling at 154,000 plus mph gets ya to the closest wormhole.......LOL>>>LOL
Originally Posted by mtnsnake
Folding the space time continuum between points will and must be done at the quantum level.

Well, looking for truck keys, etc. proves it is possible, and exists. They are not there the first several times you looked, then they are. (they were there all along, just not in a state of matter/energy you could perceive. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!)

I have often wondered what effect is incurred with two objects accelerating away from each other, where cumulatiely their relative speeds exceed light speed. Is this an explanation for the missing "dark matter?"

I ain't smart enough to even speculate.

I’m curious as to why we’d spend the time and money to put worms into space! crazy memtb
Originally Posted by las
Originally Posted by mtnsnake

Well, looking for truck keys, etc. proves it is possible, and exists. They are not there the first several times you looked, then they are. (they were there all along, just not in a state of matter/energy you could perceive. That's my story and I'm sticking to it!)

I have often wondered what effect is incurred with two objects accelerating away from each other, where cumulatiely their relative speeds exceed light speed. Is this an explanation for the missing "dark matter?"

I ain't smart enough to even speculate.

And, just how in heck did my glasses magically appear on top of my head when I know I left them on the bathroom counter?

Geno
Originally Posted by Dryfly24

Basically, anything resembling FTL tends to be immediately fatal to human bodies, although it's not necessarily the acceleration. I once wrote a simple program to see how long it would take to reach C at a steady and safe 1G acceleration and it turns out it takes a bit over three days. What happens as you approach C is unknown. If you used an ion impulse engine or anything that could provide the constant acceleration to get you to C you could then use whatever physics is doing there to traverse or transition to FTL and survive. At least you wouldn't need the fictional "inertial dampeners" of Star Trek to suspend a fundamental law of physics and prevent everybody on board from becoming jelly on the back bulkheads as the ship accelerated instantly to FTL.

Another explanation that I’ve seen before - and this is a gross oversimplification - is that even if you could enter and traverse it from one side to the other, whatever part of you - or whatever you are in - that makes contact with the hole would be instantly transported to the other side. Meaning that those portions that haven’t made contact would still be on this side. Even if for an instant, that would do no good for you or your craft.

I’m not smart enough to know if this is a viable way to travel. But I’m smart enough to know that putting my hand in a wood chipper, or meat grinder or any some such device is not a good idea. Maybe they’ll figure it out one day. I hope they do anyway...

Originally Posted by IndyCA35
Your first two paragraphs are correct. Besides, it would take millions of years to travel to the nearest black hole. And no "wormholes" have even been proven to exist.

The answer to the OP's question is "No."

Your third paragraph is not correct. We have known about the physics at the speed of light (or close to it) since 1905. As you accelerate toward light speed, the propulsion energy goes more and more into merely increasing the mass of your ship, compressing it toward flatness, and slowing down time in it. If you could go at exactly the speed of light, the mass of your ship would become infinite, it would become perfectly flat, and time would cease to exist. But you would notice nothing at all. These effects would only appear to those left behind. Theoretically, you could go millions of light years in a few minutes, but when you returned, the earth would be millions of years older.

You fellas just need a few more shrooms to get this all figgered out.

That, or you need to PM Gus.

Geno
Gus should be back shortly with a fresh batch of melange...

The thing that cracks me up is trying to understand something that defies the current understanding of the laws of physics. Given what we understand today, it's impossible, the math just doesn't work. But who's to say our current understanding is complete?

What if someone figures out how to form a wormhole between two points on demand? For interstellar and/or light speed travel to occur, things as we know them have to be changed.
Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH

The thing that cracks me up is trying to understand something that defies the current understanding of the laws of physics. Given what we understand today, it's impossible, the math just doesn't work. But who's to say our current understanding is complete?

What if someone figures out how to form a wormhole between two points on demand? For interstellar and/or light speed travel to occur, things as we know them have to be changed.

That's kind of how I view all "known" information. Once we were able to get superstition and religious prohibitions out of the way we've come pretty far in forming theories that explain a lot of what we see in the physical world, but we still only know what we know now.

People in the past were just as intelligent as we are today and a lot of their observations actually fit reality*, but only the arrogant ones thought they knew everything there is to know. Before man broke the sound barrier folks envisioned all kinds of nasty things happening when you go trans-sonic but someone finally did it and lived to tell about it. Now it's common. I don't have anywhere near the math or physics knowledge to refute current quantum theory (or even understand it at more than a basic level) but from what I do know it keeps changing as new developments come to light - no pun intended. Folks make their best guess and see if it fits observed reality.

* Case in point - musket balls do not fly straight, it must be because demons ride them and steer them off course. Hypothesis: if we spin the musket ball that will throw the demons off and let the ball fly straight. Experiment: put rifling in the barrel to spin the projectile. Observed result: the ball flies straight. This result is consistently repeatable by others. Ergo, our hypothesis is proven.

Later on a new hypothesis was formed and tested which superseded the "demons on musket balls" theory, but for a time that fit observed reality.
Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH

That's kind of how I view all "known" information. Once we were able to get superstition and religious prohibitions out of the way we've come pretty far in forming theories that explain a lot of what we see in the physical world, but we still only know what we know now.

People in the past were just as intelligent as we are today and a lot of their observations actually fit reality*, but only the arrogant ones thought they knew everything there is to know. Before man broke the sound barrier folks envisioned all kinds of nasty things happening when you go trans-sonic but someone finally did it and lived to tell about it. Now it's common. I don't have anywhere near the math or physics knowledge to refute current quantum theory (or even understand it at more than a basic level) but from what I do know it keeps changing as new developments come to light - no pun intended. Folks make their best guess and see if it fits observed reality.

* Case in point - musket balls do not fly straight, it must be because demons ride them and steer them off course. Hypothesis: if we spin the musket ball that will throw the demons off and let the ball fly straight. Experiment: put rifling in the barrel to spin the projectile. Observed result: the ball flies straight. Ergo, our hypothesis is proven.

Later on a new hypothesis was formed and tested which superseded the "demons on musket balls" theory, but for a time that fit observed reality.

More shrooms dude, more shrooms.

Or a trip to S America to experience the iowaska.

Geno

PS, or we wait for Gus to get back with the good stuff.
What if I hover in a wormhole?
Originally Posted by DigitalDan

You would watch the universe around you age and die before you yourself eventually evaporated due to Hawking radiation gazillions of years into the future....

What DBT said- put another way, the worm comes back and eats you.
Huh, who cares. We can't even figure out COVID, let alone wormholes for interstellar travel.
I prefer rabbit holes myself.
Someone plucks you out.....and uses you for fishing.

There go my hopes again. Extra dimensions were left out though.
I went down a wormhole, once, I think. I found it in the bottom of a bottle of tequila....
Read the title and thought Gus was back!
Originally Posted by deerstalker

Speaking of which, where the hell is he!? I hope he’s alright?

I hope so too. With Gus it was always kinda hard to tell...

Him and slummy are hangin' out lookin' for arrowheads or a CiCi's.

Geno
What's the difference between a black hole and a wormhole?
The short answer is: A worm hole is a “tube made of space-time” that connects two different regions. If it's set up right, you could enter one side of the tube and exit the other end somewhere else, or even somewhere else. In contrast, a black hole destroys the hell out of things, and doesn't “go anywhere”.
www.quora.com

Gus was never all right! But he was/ is ours and i miss him

Gus was never all right! But he was/ is ours and i miss him

In all seriousness, why doesn’t he post anymore? Does anyone know?
You are asking a question like that on here?
It is a drain.To where I dont know.Can you come back? I dont know.Will you like where you end up? Not a chance in hell.
Worm holes are fickle.

Wormholes drove up the price of chestnut lumber by about 60% so who knows....
Originally Posted by reivertom
You are asking a question like that on here?

Yeah I am. It’s generally what people do when they are curious about something. What’s the big deal? Apparently you know something I don’t. Is it some sort of delicate matter or something?

It’s simple. The guy used to post a lot and now he doesn’t so I’m hoping he’s ok. Yeah he was flaky, but as far as I know he was pretty well liked by everyone. I never saw him post anything vile or mean spirited so I doubt very much he got banned.
© 24hourcampfire