Home
Been cycling through the handguns in the safe, checking them out, cleaning and lubing. Sometimes, after they've been cleaned and lubed, they look too nice not to snap a picture of them before packing them back up and putting them away again. I also want to get out and shoot just about every gun I pull out of the safe that hasn't been to the range in a while, but there are only so many hours in a day, and only so many days in a week. I try, though.

[Linked Image]
Let me know when those two need a new home! Love it.
Posted By: kid0917 Re: A Pair of .45 Peacemakers - 04/26/20
If you get the right pair combination, maybe they will procreate!
nice set of Colts.
Posted By: g5m Re: A Pair of .45 Peacemakers - 04/26/20
Very nce!
Posted By: Mathsr Re: A Pair of .45 Peacemakers - 04/26/20
Good looking pair! I’m going to get one of those one day with a 5.5 inch barrel and put an 1860 grip frame on it. I did that to a clone and to me it makes the perfect single action.
Originally Posted by kid0917
nice set of Colts.

Did they fool you? Both made by Uberti.
Originally Posted by Mathsr
Good looking pair! I’m going to get one of those one day with a 5.5 inch barrel and put an 1860 grip frame on it. I did that to a clone and to me it makes the perfect single action.

Cool idea. Longer grip for larger hands.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: A Pair of .45 Peacemakers - 04/26/20
Ain't a whole lot of things in this world that are sexier than a revolver except maybe a 1911.
Nice set.. and round.
Posted By: papat Re: A Pair of .45 Peacemakers - 04/26/20
Should have never let my Uberti go
Posted By: RIO7 Re: A Pair of .45 Peacemakers - 04/26/20
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Nothing is more fun than a pair of 1873s Rio7
Originally Posted by RIO7

Beautiful Colts. Love the stag grips.
Nice revolvers guys!

I just have the measly, lonely, single 45 Colt now.

Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
nice set of Colts.

Dang Hawk, I don't think anybody here suspected you had so much cool stuff in your collection.
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Nice revolvers guys!

Rock, I can't see that scabbard with the Mod 73 in it? Where is it?
Been cycling through the handguns in the safe, checking them out, cleaning and lubing. Sometimes, after they've been cleaned and lubed, they look too nice not to snap a picture of them before packing them back up and putting them away again. I also want to get out and shoot just about every gun I pull out of the safe that hasn't been to the range in a while, but there are only so many hours in a day, and only so many days in a week. I try, though.

[Linked Image]

Very nice Hawk. You have some really good stuff in that safe.
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: A Pair of .45 Peacemakers - 04/26/20
I have a pair of these somewhat rare USFA 100% US built Inspector Series Colt Cavalry. One Ainsworth and one Nettelton
Nice revolvers guys!

I'll trade you my two for your one. Is that real ivory?
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
nice set of Colts.

Dang Hawk, I don't think anybody here suspected you had so much cool stuff in your collection.

Really?
Originally Posted by GRIZZ
I have a pair of these somewhat rare USFA 100% US built Inspector Series Colt Cavalry. One Ainsworth and one Nettelton

Those are reputed to be better than anything Colt ever put out. I was on the edge of ordering one many times before the company became defunct.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: A Pair of .45 Peacemakers - 04/26/20
Nice revolvers guys!

You, Rio and TRH have good taste, and pistols.
Posted By: Leanwolf Re: A Pair of .45 Peacemakers - 04/26/20
Some nice looking six shooters here, boys. Here is the only center fire single action Colt I have left. Had six at one time but other people wanted them more than I did ... and had the $$$$ to convince me to sell them.

This is a Colt Frontier model, .357 Magnum, real Sambar stag grips. I still have the original box, grips, and papers. It is accurate, too.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

L.W.
Posted By: Mathsr Re: A Pair of .45 Peacemakers - 04/26/20
This is the Uberti 44special with the 1860 grip frame on it. Great feeling single action. I'm going to make the same conversion one of these days to a Colt, hopefully in 44 special. I had the Colt at one time but life got in the way of keeping it. The Colt didn't shoot nearly as good as the Uberti anyway and I worried too much about scuffing it up, so down the road it went. This Uberti is one that shoots where it is pointed and I don't mind using as a beater.

Nice revolvers guys!

I'll trade you my two for your one. Is that real ivory?

Sorry, Amigo.

No trade. smile
Beautiful pistols. Thanks for showing.
Posted By: EdM Re: A Pair of .45 Peacemakers - 04/26/20

I kick myself for selling my USFA Flattop Target 44 Special/Russian. I bought it NIB with a really nice set of upgraded French walnut grips. Of course I shot it and it shot very well. Really a beautiful piece. Sad story on USFA...
Posted By: Bristoe Re: A Pair of .45 Peacemakers - 04/26/20
I once bought a Cimarron Model P junior in .38 spl that I really wanted to like. It's just a scaled down SAA. It would have been a slick little revolver but the sights were off to the left and a bit low. I could have loaded or filed the sight to correct elevation, but there's not much to do about a fixed sight handgun with bad windage. I had a Ruger Bearcat with the same problem,...only worse. I wanted to like it, also.

I'd still like to have a Model P junior that shot to point of aim. A miniature Model P in .38 spl is a very slick concept.

These:

https://www.cimarron-firearms.com/model-p-jr-38-special-5-1-2-in.html
Here's one of my favorite guns. I think a stainless SAA (Uberti) combines the best of both worlds............

Originally Posted by Bristoe
I once bought a Cimarron Model P junior in .38 spl that I really wanted to like. It's just a scaled down SAA. It would have been a slick little revolver but the sights were off to the left and a bit low. I could have loaded or filed the sight to correct elevation, but there's not much to do about a fixed sight handgun with bad windage. I had a Ruger Bearcat with the same problem,...only worse. I wanted to like it, also.

I'd still like to have a Model P junior that shot to point of aim. A miniature Model P in .38 spl is a very slick concept.

These:

Bristoe, someone that's familiar with the windage issue in SAA's can fix that problem for a mere fraction of what a replacement would cost.

It's a matter of tweaking the barrel slightly left or right with the threads that screw into the frame. Shouldn't take long, or cost much atall.
Some nice leg irons.
Posted By: jbmi Re: A Pair of .45 Peacemakers - 04/27/20
Couple of BBQ guns, real ivory and real stag, real Colts.
Posted By: bcraig Re: A Pair of .45 Peacemakers - 04/27/20
Just Had this delivered to me.
EMF Pietta GWII Gunfighter Combo .45 Colt with 45 ACP cylinder as well.
Originally Posted by bcraig
Very nice.
Posted By: Bristoe Re: A Pair of .45 Peacemakers - 04/27/20
Originally Posted by Bristoe

These:

Bristoe, someone that's familiar with the windage issue in SAA's can fix that problem for a mere fraction of what a replacement would cost.

It's a matter of tweaking the barrel slightly left or right with the threads that screw into the frame. Shouldn't take long, or cost much atall.

Yeah,...I pretty much figured that it was an issue of barrel timing.

Somebody say real ivory?
Posted By: RIO7 Re: A Pair of .45 Peacemakers - 04/27/20

jbmi, That's very nice pair of Hog Leg's Rio7
'

Nice. My 5.5" barrel Uberti (seen in post #1 of this thread) also came with a .45 ACP cylinder, and it hits dead on with .45 ACP. I generally only shoot .45 ACP out of it, in fact, due to the lower cost of range ammo.
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Somebody say real ivory?

Smith & Wesson?
I know who has this one and it's for sale,

Posted By: Bristoe Re: A Pair of .45 Peacemakers - 04/27/20

Somebody say real ivory?

Smith & Wesson?

Jesse James' preferred sidearm.
Wow. Nice 👍
I just bought this Great Western

Attached picture A99328BC-1B1F-43A8-9DCE-9DBB186FB01C.jpeg
Originally Posted by stikshooter
Wow. Nice 👍

Wasn't Marshal Dillon's Peacemaker, of Gunsmoke fame, a Great Western?
Beautiful guns!
Wow. Nice 👍

Not sure on Marshal Dillion, but I believe John Wayne was given a matching pair of Great Western revolvers and that’s what he carried in The Shootist.
Posted By: RGK Re: A Pair of .45 Peacemakers - 04/27/20

Somebody say real ivory?

3rd Gen .45 with a factory tune and ivories
Bob

Somebody say real ivory?

Smith & Wesson?
Yes. It's a 1st model Russian or 2nd Model American in the Russian caliber, depending on how you want to describe it. Made in 1874. It came from Fredricksburg, Texas and if the ivory grips are not factory original, they are at least, very, very old.
Or fake ivory...

You have some real nice Revolvers
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: A Pair of .45 Peacemakers - 04/27/20
Wow. Nice 👍

From what I've been told by Jim Martin Great Westerns were the go to Colt Clones for TV and Movies back in the 50's, 60's and 70's
Wow. Nice 👍

Not sure on Marshal Dillion, but I believe John Wayne was given a matching pair of Great Western revolvers and that’s what he carried in The Shootist.

Yes John Wayne used the Great Western Engraved Just like yours and His personal Guns .
Super nice
Originally Posted by RGK

Somebody say real ivory?

3rd Gen .45 with a factory tune and ivories
Bob

Now that will work !!
You have some real nice Revolvers
Thank you sir. Yours are very nice as well. Always admire them.
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: A Pair of .45 Peacemakers - 04/27/20
Or fake ivory...

Love the Smith.. I have a Bowie like that won it in my Predator Calling Club raffle. Actually a decent Bowie for the money. Full tang construction, pinned fake stage scales, razor sharp...
Originally Posted by jbmi
Couple of BBQ guns, real ivory and real stag, real Colts.

SWEET !

[Linked Image]

Nice !
Originally Posted by RIO7

Nice !

I have heard that they were fine revolvers
Originally Posted by Mathsr
This is the Uberti 44special with the 1860 grip frame on it. Great feeling single action. I'm going to make the same conversion one of these days to a Colt, hopefully in 44 special. I had the Colt at one time but life got in the way of keeping it. The Colt didn't shoot nearly as good as the Uberti anyway and I worried too much about scuffing it up, so down the road it went. This Uberti is one that shoots where it is pointed and I don't mind using as a beater.

Nice Piece
Originally Posted by HilhamHawk
Here's one of my favorite guns. I think a stainless SAA (Uberti) combines the best of both worlds............

That Stainless is very practical ,especially when shooting blackpowder.
Looks good too !

I have heard that they were fine revolvers

They were! I had a Nettleton Model. Gave it to my best friend. Sadly, he passed nearly 10 years ago. Hope his wife passed it down to his son.
only a pietta but its nice and for sale.
[Linked Image]
Just got back from the range with the 5.5 inch Uberti SAA. This thing shoots like a dream. Sights are dead on with either the .45 ACP or the .45 Colt cylinder installed. That's almost unheard of, even with real Colts. Today I shot it with the .45 Colt cylinder installed.

[Linked Image]

This target shows a five shot group, from a standing, off-hand, two-handed hold, at fifteen yards.

[Linked Image]

This one shows 3 five-shot strings, fired from a standing, off-hand, one-handed hold, at ten yards.

[Linked Image]

Love this gun.
I can't believe no one asked about that serial no 7 colt I posted.
Originally Posted by stxhunter

How much? smile

How much? smile

6 figures.

6 figures.

Just takes the right buyer.

Provenance and documentation is of utmost importance as well as condition, fit, finish and having the configuration to match the documentation.

I dealt a bit in old west memorabilia with some pretty heavy hitters in the past.... And can tell you high dollar guns always sell better with a story. smile

Like if a famous outlaw, or lawman, or showman owned it. Or it killed someone famous, or someone famous killed somebody with it. (All requiring the same proof of course.)

Sometimes the ones you thing would fetch outrageous amounts, fall way short of expectations. Sometimes they meet them. wink

6 figures.

Provenance and documentation is of utmost importance as well as condition, fit, finish and having the configuration to match the documentation.

I dealt a bit in old west memorabilia with some pretty heavy hitters in the past.... And can tell you high dollar guns always sell better with a story. smile

Like if a famous outlaw, or lawman, or showman owned it. Or it killed someone famous, or someone famous killed somebody with it. (All requiring the same proof of course.)

Sometimes the ones you thing would fetch outrageous amounts, fall way short of expectations. Sometimes they meet them. wink
he has the documentation on it, and it is all original. never been reblued or anything still has original grips, but it does look like a 150 yr old or however old it is, gun.
Posted By: 1911a1 Re: A Pair of .45 Peacemakers - 04/27/20

I was pretty amazed when I saw the single digit serial no.

6 figures.

he has the documentation on it, and it is all original. never been reblued or anything still has original grips, but it does look like a 150 yr old or however old it is, gun.
I didn't look up the SN but at #7 I'm sure that's an 1873 manufactured gun. That gun is worth some money just due to its age and low number, regardless of a story. A story with documentation would make it worth more, of course. A friend of mine bought and sold one of Bat Masterson's famous guns that he'd ordered from Colt's themselves. Documented. He's been deceased for awhile now.
Back a few years ago Tom Horn's Winchester brought $190k at auction.

Excellent example of the market.

Roger, you never know what something will bring until it's done... But, I'm just taking a stab and saying the #7 would bring maybe $50k.

I've seen Colt Cavalry SAA's in very good shape with all the military proof marks, good blue, and nice wood and 3 digit serial numbers go for $25-35K.
have no idea what they're worth, just that the last time he put it up for auction it didn't meet the reserve.I'll have to ask again how he came to have it but it was a pretty interesting story involving some really old time ranching family.
Back in my cowboy action days, I found this pair of Gen 3's that had been engraved by a retired Weatherby engraver living in TX. The bud I got them from was from TX. I sent them to Nutmeg Sports for dead elephant grips and deep dish medallions. I sent a grip frame from another Colt I had shaped from Rosewood and they duplicated the shape.

They're .38 Spec., have some of the nicest irridescent case colors I've seen on Gen 3's.

Last photo is the Gen 3 .357 grip frame I shaped from rosewood and had checkered. It was the prototype for the ivory grips.

DF

Wow! That pair with ivory grips are impressive. I'd love to own those.
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Back in my cowboy action days, I found this pair of Gen 3's that had been engraved by a retired Weatherby engraver living in TX. The bud I got them from was from TX. I sent them to Nutmeg Sports for dead elephant grips and deep dish medallions. I sent a grip frame from another Colt I had shaped from Rosewood and they duplicated the shape.

They're .38 Spec., have some of the nicest irridescent case colors I've seen on Gen 3's.

Last photo is the Gen 3 .357 grip frame I shaped from rosewood and had checkered. It was the prototype for the ivory grips.

DF

Very nice pair!

Love the engraving as well as the grips!

I particularly like that engraving on the bottom of the grip frames. That's a classic Colt pattern and location.
So often you hear how Single Action Armies, even actual Colts, don't come from the factory with their sights regulated dead on. This one did. I think that's pretty cool.
So often you hear how Single Action Armies, even actual Colts, don't come from the factory with their sights regulated dead on. This one did. I think that's pretty cool.

That's a good shooting hogleg!

When you boil it all down, that's what matters most.

That's a good shooting hogleg!

When you boil it all down, that's what matters most.

Can't disagree.
Posted By: jbmi Re: A Pair of .45 Peacemakers - 04/28/20
I love Ivory, but that Rose Wood would be hard not to love.
Originally Posted by jbmi
I love Ivory, but that Rose Wood would be hard not to love.

Yeah, they're pretty nice.

I fitted the one piece rosewood grips, installed the deep dish medallions, sent them to Errol Case in MO for checkering/carving. He does great work.

Rosewood is so oily it generally won't take a finish very well. Soaking in acetone takes a lot of the oil out of the wood. I then was able to finish it with a tung oil/urethane prep from Brownells.

DF
I failed to mention, the rosewood grip is one of a pair of Gen 3 .357 CAS guns that my son now has.

I still have the ivory set and a set of Rugers set up to run like Colts. They're short stroked, regulated for 110 gr. bullets at CAS speeds. Errol Case did the carving/checkering on those, too. Walnut with Ruger medallions that I fitted and finished.

Note the difference in hammer stroke distance tricked out Ruger vs. .357 Colt. Them Rugers do run fast.

DF

Posted By: efw Re: A Pair of .45 Peacemakers - 04/30/20
Very, very cool thanks for the report you’ve certainly been making the best of the lockdown!!
Posted By: rte Re: A Pair of .45 Peacemakers - 04/30/20
Linguine shooters.lol
Originally Posted by efw
Very, very cool thanks for the report you’ve certainly been making the best of the lockdown!!

LOL. Yes.
$130K in 2015.
Originally Posted by Jackie_Treehorn
$130K in 2015.

There's several reports of what it brought, it appears.

The auctioneer thought it brought $149,500.. smile

http://www.oldwestevents.com/press-releases/2015/2/9/tom-horn-winchester-leads-18-million-sale
Posted By: Tyrone Re: A Pair of .45 Peacemakers - 04/30/20
Maybe $130K is the bid price and $149.5K is after auction premium & tax.
Originally Posted by Tyrone
Maybe $130K is the bid price and $149.5K is after auction premium & tax.
Could be. I was acquainted with some of the Irwin descendants referenced in the article; they own/owned a large furniture store in Douglas, Wyoming.
15%
Sounds in the right ballpark for an premium auctionhouse..
VERY nice revolvers here!
© 24hourcampfire