Home
Posted By: denton Your First Reloading Setup - 04/27/20
What did you start with, and when?

I started in about 1980, with a Lee Loader and a scale, making 30-06 ammo for a rifle I bought (no kidding) at the J C Penney outlet store in Sparks, NV. The neighbor who was giving me advice was sure that hollow points were the way to go, but had no idea why one of his bullets blew up on impact, removing a good piece of deer hide without penetrating.
Started sometime in 1963, Lee Loader, .38 Special and .30-30 WCF. Very soon moved on to the massive Herter's O press and Herter's loading equipment. Worked very well for many years.

L.W.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Your First Reloading Setup - 04/27/20
Lee kit, single stage, with all the goodies included. For .38 special/.357

Geno
I'm still using it- - - -a Lee 3-hole turret press that I bought in the mid-1980's. There's no telling how many thousands of rounds that thing has sent downrange! It still works as well as it did the day I unpacked it.
Jerry
Posted By: 700LH Re: Your First Reloading Setup - 04/27/20
Used RockChucker, new RCBS dies, RCBS 505 scale, a deburr tool and one of those gawdawful lube pads
Posted By: fester Re: Your First Reloading Setup - 04/27/20

Rcbs

.30-06, .44mag, .357mag .25-06, .243, .30-30, 7mag, .223, 10mm, .45acp, .45lc, .454casull, .460 s&wmag
I’m sure I’m missing a few

All done with various rcbs presses

Dies are mostly rcbs..... I have a few lee and reading
I started in 1973 with an RCBS set-up purchased from a co-worker who was getting divorced.
1972 using the Lee Loader with a Lyman scale. Was loading for a .22-250 and soon had issues with needing to bump the shoulder back, so borrowed my uncle's Lyman Spartan press. Used that setup for one year and invested in a Rock Chucker and a Lyman powder measure.
Posted By: Tstorm1 Re: Your First Reloading Setup - 04/27/20
Used Dad's stuff for years then decided to buy quality equipment when I got out of the military and established in my place 2008-ish. Redding Big Boss for a press and was loading 9mm and 222 Rem. Dies were mainly Redding and RCBS. Didn't trim, chamfer or pay attention to flash holes. Over the years have added numerous calibers and trim, chamfer, tumble and uniform flash holes and pockets now. Added a used Dillon 550b several years ago for range ammo.
1969 with a RCBS rockchucker a balance beam scale of unkown mfg, The lube pad and a set of 22-250 dies. Still have it all.
16 gauge Lee Loader, 1972 IIRC. Still have it but retired it for a MEC 600 JR purchased a year or so later from Sisk Bullets in Iowa Park, TX. First CF was .44 Magnum in 1975.
I started in 1974, a RCBS Junior press. Still use it regularly. Old balance beam scale my dad had, you had to use weight pieces of the charge you wanted, zero the scale, then weigh powder. My dad use a Lyman tong tool, I thought I was big stuff buying a press!
Posted By: hanco Re: Your First Reloading Setup - 04/27/20
Still using the Rockchucker I bought in 74, mostly RCBS dies, a few Redding,
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Your First Reloading Setup - 04/27/20
1968 Lee Loader for 20 gauge
06/08 ish. Started with an rcbs partner press and a couple years later got a Hornady lock n load progressive. Dies and other necessities are rcbs, Hornady and Lee.
Dad bought a brand new C&H 444 for him and I in the early 70's. Him and I shot IHMSA for close to 8 years. he shot 22lr, 22mag, 357mag and I shot 22lr, 22mag, 44mag.

That press has loaded a lot of pistol ammo and I now have it setup permanently for 44 mag.

[Linked Image from ch4d.com]
Around 1979 in Dad’s cellar. I’d just got a .308, and my brother had been fooling with reloading. I was all of 14 years old. I loaded on that press until I joined the Army in ‘85.
When I ETSed in 1989, I set up the same press in a trailer till we built our house. I’d given the .308 to Dad and bought an ought six of my own.
I thought I’d save on ammo, but I spent way more on reloading and guns than if I’d just bought ammunition. As a result, I did more shooting and bought more guns and it just snowballed to where I’ve been at it for more than 40 years!
I enjoy the time I spend at it, and I get off on working up a new load for a new gun. Putting a handful of bullets through one ragged hole carries its own rewards for me.
7mm
Posted By: jeeper Re: Your First Reloading Setup - 04/27/20

Dillon 550 almost 20 years ago . Load everything on it.
Originally Posted by 700LH
Used RockChucker, new RCBS dies, RCBS 505 scale, a deburr tool and one of those gawdawful lube pads

Same here !
Posted By: RufusG Re: Your First Reloading Setup - 04/27/20
Sometime in the late sixties started reloading with my Dad, RCBS Jr. press, Belding and Mull powder measure, maybe a Redding scale? Still have it all but probably only use the scale. Actually still have some primers from back then that got set aside somewhere along the way, still use them from time to time, they still go bang.
In 1980 I started reloading using Lee Loader sets, mainly for .38 Special. Pretty much all I shot were my own handloads from those sets for a few years. I couldn't afford factory ammo at the time. Not at the volume of shooting I wanted to do.
Herters, a massive press and dies, still have most of them.
Started with a Mec 600 in 1972, loading shot shells. In 1974 I started loading rifle rounds. I was reading everything I could get my hands on. Trying to smart myself up some.
Still working on getting smart.
RCBS Rockchucker kit, RCBS 30-06 dies, 1# of IMR4064, 165 grain Nosler BT's and WLR's (best load in the Lyman manual) about 2009. Like most others I've added a boatload of stuff since then.
I started in 1974, bought a Lee Loader for 12gauge at the KMart store in Olathe KS. That got me started, it wasn't long before I bought a used RCBS Jr. , and from that, I went to a Dillon Square Deal, then a 550B, and a used Rockchucker for heavy chores.

I couldn't begin to count how much ammo I've loaded over the years.
For many years I did my reloading on my cousin's equipment or my Uncle's. Cousin had an RCBS Jr. I purchased a Lee Powder dispenser, another cousin bought the RCBS 505 scales.

After marriage and my own house, I loaded for several years with a Lee hand press and a Pact digital scale. Until I managed to get a couple very hot loads in a Savage 114V 22-250 with 60 gr Hornadys and H 380.

I threw the Pact scale in the garbage and have been using an RCBS 10-10 since.
Started with an RCBS Jr. press in 1971. Had loaded with Dad's RCBS A2 press before that. (before they were painted green!)

Used a set on non magnetic scales and dribbled in powder in with a small spoon to balance the scales.

My!...... how things have changed since then....

Virgil B.
Posted By: CraigD Re: Your First Reloading Setup - 04/27/20
Lee loader in 41 Mag. - started in 1966 - I lasted one day with the Lee setup.

As I was seating a primer (pounding it into the case with the supplied rod) it detonated and my hand stung like crazy. After about five minutes assessing the situation, I simply cleaned all of the Lee loader into the trash can!

Back to the local gun shop - I got a used A2 RCBS press, carbide die set, and a scale and never looked back!

Fifty four years later and I still remember the noise from that CCI350 going off as I pounded the primer into the case!
Lee loader, shotgun actually. I still have it and use it for black powder shotgun shells. But I haven't fired that old Damascus double barrel Savage in decades.
Posted By: wahoo Re: Your First Reloading Setup - 04/27/20
lee loader 1970. dipper and all. graduated in 1973 to a rockchucker. and later to a Dillon progressive. mec for shotshells.

still use all but kept the lee as a memento. no digital gee whiz scales yet. I had the same primer problem with the lee, until the original lee priming tool

which I rate right up there with fire as an invention.
1968, Lee Loader for .38 Spl. Used the supplied scoop for powder charging. I remember the first round fired was out of an Old Model Blackhawk. I stuck the revolver out in front of me, turned my head the other way and pulled the trigger. Was somewhat surprised and relieved when it went bang instead of kaboom, so I was hooked. Maybe a year later got a Lyman 310 tool and then a Lyman C press.

1978 got an RCBS Jr single stage which I'm still using.
Posted By: stantdm Re: Your First Reloading Setup - 04/27/20
In about 1978 I bought a RCBS Rock Chucker Jr. for my .270 and 7Mag. It was one of those kits they marketed back then that had the press, scale, powder trickler, and a few other things. Still using the original press and bought another one at a farm auction for $5 about twenty years ago and set it up for for seating.
Just 12ga on a lee load all long ago.
Got cheaper to just buy factory double AA super handicaps eventually.

I could reload an old school double AA hull maybe 6 or 7 times before the crimping started cracking too much, didnt have issues resizing the base.
Then they changed em and resizing the base and the crimps were a Pita and would last 4 maybe 5 at the most.

JME....
Lee loader and a scale in 1969.
Posted By: MILES58 Re: Your First Reloading Setup - 04/27/20
1956. RCBS press, scale and powder measure. Have had in the years since, Lyman, Redding, Herters, Lee with multiple versions of them and RCBS.
Posted By: Terryk Re: Your First Reloading Setup - 04/27/20
RCBS rockchucker kit in the 80s. Still a good rig.
Posted By: old70 Re: Your First Reloading Setup - 04/27/20
Somewhere around 1988, RCBS partner press reloading kit, 505 scale, Hornady 45 ACP dies. Locally sourced cast H&G 68s with W231 and CCI 300s. When I was feeling flush I bought a box of the Speer 200gr. ‘Flying Ashtray’ and some Blue Dot and was lucky not to blow up the gun. Later moved into .30-06, .308, and .30-30., with the .270 for friend. Now I load too many to count, and have moved to a Rockchucker.

Old70
Posted By: gunzo Re: Your First Reloading Setup - 04/27/20
1973, My first loader was a Pacific DL 105 in 12 ga.

1974, an RCBS Jr. RCBS 22-250 dies, an Ohaus 505 scale & an uninked stamp pad from the office supply store, greased with RCBS sizing lube.

I've never regretted it but I have upgraded a bit.
started as a young boy beside my dad and his rcbs stuff, eventually went to a rock chucker and partner press, still have them both, also used the lee load all toto load 16, 20 and 12 guage shells, was at one point up to seventeen different calibers.
Started out weighing powder on a redding oil dampened scale, now also have a rcbs electronic scale.
Posted By: DHN Re: Your First Reloading Setup - 04/27/20
Started in '76 with a Pacific C press and two sets of CH dies I picked up at a flea market, added an RCBS 5-10 scale and lube pad, didn't take long to decide I needed a powder measure. This was to save money on ammunition, of course. I'm sure you all can guess how that worked out. grin
Posted By: LouisB Re: Your First Reloading Setup - 04/27/20
Lyman 310 (Tong Tool) for loading/sizing 429215s, Lyman powder scale, homemade dippers and pound of Bullseye back about 66 or so.
Oh and that DC 429215 mold.
Posted By: AKduck Re: Your First Reloading Setup - 04/27/20
Lee single stage with quick change bushings.

Until MILES58 came along, I was thinking "what a fossilized old man" I am. I started in 1966 with a shared Herters press and scale, a pound of 4831 that came in a paper bag from an old guy that said he was a gunsmith, 30-06 RCBS dies and some miscellaneous bullets, including some Herters banana-waist bullets in 30 cal. Thanks, Miles, I'm feeling nostalgic and grateful for those early experiences you have also shared with us.

Ah, yes, progress. The graduation to a Rockchucker and the discovery of 4350 were additional MILEStones, and then the wheels came off my dreams of reloading to save money. My second rifle was a project, consisting of a wildcat cartridge that P O Ackley said was wonderful, a lovely G33-40 Mauser action and a 25 cal. Douglas barrel. I should have heeded the warning horn at that point.

So the first reloading setup led to an exciting pursuit of improvement, maybe even seeking excellence, and LOTS of shooting. It has been an adventure and a great learning process. What fun!
in '74 when I got outta skool, I started on a pacific C-press. in '75 I bought a Rockchucker set up. I set it up on a old truck stop table base topped by a scrap of quarter inch steel plate. It's been improved and added on to over the years, but still the same base and 'chucker. You can see it behind my younger self, and recent..... Made it portable at the time to be easy to move ranch to ranch, job to job. Still serves fine.

[Linked Image from i26.photobucket.com]
My folks bought me a RCBS Partner kit for Christmas when I was 12.

Dad didn't reload.

My buddy got a Rock Chucker kit that Christmas.

We learned together.

Mid 90's.
Posted By: Prwlr Re: Your First Reloading Setup - 04/28/20
1968 - RCBS Jr press RCBS dies 270 Win., IMR 4350 Hornady 130 gr SP.
Posted By: mathman Re: Your First Reloading Setup - 04/28/20
Mid 70's, Rockchucker and 10-10, RCBS dies.
Posted By: Pugs Re: Your First Reloading Setup - 04/28/20
Lee Loaders in .243 and .44 Special in 1981 when I was 17.

Yes, you can set off a primer pounding the case back out of the die. grin But, opened up a world of fun for me.
Rcbs sr5 press (think that’s right)
Rcbs 10-10 scale still have
Rcbs dies 22-250, 6mm, 222mag, 220 swift
Rcbs hand primer
Started in 1982 or 83
RCBS Rockchucker
38SP
357Mag
41SP
41Mag
Had an RCBS Trimmer ,Powder Measure & Manuel Scale
Posted By: 1_deuce Re: Your First Reloading Setup - 04/28/20
Started Christmas 1963 with a Lyman TruLine Jr turret press and a Redding scale for my M70 30-06. I had just turned 14. A year later, I got a new Rockchucker, Uniflow powder measure, and 1" dies for every caliber I had then. Over the years many have been added, another Rockchucker, Forster CO-AX, Wilson and Sinclair tools, Redding tools, Forster trimmers, Forster and Redding micrometer dies, several shotgun loaders, you name it, etc, etc, etc.
When I started shooting USPSA/IPSC seriously in the late 80's, then came several Blue progressives, case tumblers, media separators, etc. About ten years ago, a Thumlers tumbler was added for wet tumbling with SS pins....turns mil. range brass into like new! It's been a continuing evolution!

When I started shooting high power rifle in '65, our club got spam cans of corrosive 30-06 AP ammo from DCM. I pulled the bullets, FL sized, and swaged the primer pockets, and loaded that brass up with new primers and Sierra or Hornady 168 match bullets! No brass trimming, flash holes uniformed, or concentricity gauges used back then! Boy times have changed!
A Lee single stage aluminum press. Loaded I don't know how many 1000's of both rifle and pistol rounds. Son has it now, still going strong. I upgraded to a turret press.
Huntsman,
I like the northern pike in the trap.
Never seen that before
88-89, RCBS Master Reloading Kit, been a hell of a love affair ever since!
Posted By: jaytee Re: Your First Reloading Setup - 04/28/20
My very first "setup" was a Lee Handloader that I bought within a few days of buying my first varmint rifle, a Rem. 700 in .222, way back in 1978ish. Used that until my brother bought a Rockchucker press, a set of 5-0-5 scales and a Forester case trimmer and a few various hand tools probably about 79. I'm still using the press and case trimmer but have since upgraded to 10-10 scales.
Lee Loader, Simplex FLS die (non-press type, used a hard plastic hammer and metal rod "extractor") for 303 and 6.5x55. I made a hydraulic decapper for the 6.5, and I think I bought a powder scale fairly early on, although the 303 came first and all that was reloaded with the scoop that came with the Lee Loader.
04 ish. Rockchucker Supreme kit. Started with. 223 using 2230.
The first? Herters every thing, late 50's
Bought a Rockchucker set back when they came with your choice of dies.

Still have the whole set and use it.

This was back in the 70's.
RCBS probably in 1980 or so. 308 Win. Loaded the ammo I killed my first deer with.
Originally Posted by plainsman456
Bought a Rockchucker set back when they came with your choice of dies.

Still have the whole set and use it.

This was back in the 70's.

^^^This^^^
77-78, used RCBS Jr.
Gave it to a friend at work a few years ago. He was setting off primers with a old Lee hammer tool. I figure I saved at least one eye.....
1965, a Lee Loader in 32 SPL for an 1894 Winchester rifle. Still have the loader and the rifle and still use both.
Posted By: dale06 Re: Your First Reloading Setup - 04/28/20
Started loading 12ga in 1967 with a lee loader
Then 25/06 and 38/357 mag in 1974, also with lee loaders
Then got a Rockchucker in 1975, for the above metallics
Stopped reloading shotguns for about 20 years, then stated again with a 12 ga MEC Sizemaster. Now I have Sizemasters in 12, 16, 20, and 28 ga.
And still use the Rockchucker with 25 or so sets of RCBS and Redding dies.
A LEE Loader in.30-06, only recently @ 2005.
1988, 18 years old no one in my family would consider using reloads.

I bought a Super Blackhawk, and couldn't afford to shoot it much on farm hand wages.

Rockchucker and the Master Reloaded kit.
Dies, measure, 5-10 scales, lube kit, deburring tool.

I was into that for around $170.
Mickles Sporting goods. I miss that place and the owner, Terry.
Started with the old Lee Loading kit for 12ga when I was a poor skeeter wing private.
Posted By: Kenlguy Re: Your First Reloading Setup - 04/28/20
Started on a Lee kit pounding 30-30 brass into the sizing die with a plastic hammer. Primed them by pounding the case down on the tool with a punch and a plastic hammer. Charged the case with a level scoop of the appropriate powder and seated the bullet with the plastic hammer.
This was about '73 or so.

Still got the kit somewhere but nowadays the job gets done on a 550
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Your First Reloading Setup - 04/28/20
My first reloading setup was for shotgun. A Ponsness Warren Duomatic in 12 ga. I bought in 1978.
1969, Lee loader, used good ole steel hammer for sizing and depriming. Loaded for 12 gauge and a .45 colt. Made my own scoops from various pistol cases cut down to hold correct weight then twisted baling wire around extractor groove to use as a handle.
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: Your First Reloading Setup - 04/28/20
Started off in 1980 with the RCBS Big Max press. Still use it to this day. The one in the photo is not mine I still ue my RCBS 10-10 scale as a back up and to confirm what my dig scale is telling me. I use a Wilson case trimmer and I'v always been partial to Redding dies and Rose of Alabama...
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Started loading shotshells on a Mec super 250 my Grandfather gave me. I went up from there to a Rockchucker for centerfire and progressed to a 600 jr then a 650 to a 9000. I still have them all
Ditto on the RCBS 10-10 scale.
In fact just yesterday I verified it against my Lyman digital scale and found the Lyman was 1.6grs low. My RCBS 10-10 scale was spot on for a 6mm 100gr bullet.
That is a significant error when I built a max load with 104.0 grs of powder using the old RCBS 10-10 scale. Glad I checked that digital scale prior to reloading max load ammo.
Every load in my logbook, 45 yrs of reloading, was developed using my old RCBS scale. To throw out 45 yrs of reloading history is something I will never do.
I have lost faith in my new fangled digital scale.

Posted By: Jerryv Re: Your First Reloading Setup - 04/28/20
I fooled around a little with a 12 ga Lee Loader in 1974, but then got away from it until 1996 when I bought a Lee Anniversary kit and started reloading metallic. Added a lot more equipment in the next 24 years. Still learning too.

Jerry
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Your First Reloading Setup - 04/28/20
Your digital scale doesn't have check weights or calibration feature?
Posted By: greydog Re: Your First Reloading Setup - 04/28/20
I started with a Lyman nutcracker tool which belonged to Dad. Got my own Lee Loader in 1964, I think. Bought my first press, the RCBS Jr., in 1971, along with a 505 Scale. A couple years later, I added a RCBS powder measure. I still have and use both. I have purchased other presses but never kept them. The old Jr. works fine. I also still use Lee Loaders, and still have the old Lyman nutcracker (tong) tool and some dies for it. GD
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: Your First Reloading Setup - 04/28/20
Originally Posted by NVhntr
Your digital scale doesn't have check weights or calibration feature?

Mine does but I likes to check a few loads during the case charging process with my 10-10 anyway only takes a second. Adams, is that you?
Posted By: shaman Re: Your First Reloading Setup - 04/28/20
KYHillChick was looking for a Christmas present for me in 2000. I'd been toying with the idea for years, and finally asked the fellows on shooters.com what their recommendations were. I took the mainstream advice and ordered the RCBS Rockchucker Supreme Master Reloading Kit from Natchez Shooting Supply. This was the best deal at the time, and the last time I checked it still was.

Original RCBS die sets:

44 Magnum
357 Magnum
45 ACP
30-06
223 Rem

I'd been saving my brass since Reagan's first term. I had piles of it. Powder, bullets, primers and a good deal of the rest of it came from RELO, a LGS just up the road. It had a monster reloading section. It closed down a year or so later. I still miss that place.

My first load was a complete disaster. I tried to do 44 Mag and I was under the impression that one needed to run the expander die all the way into the case. The results were crooked and grotesque. I took them up to the LGS; there was a guy there that was sort of tutoring me. He took one look at the rounds and burst out laughing. I still have them on the shelf as a reminder. I also still have bullets left from RELO. They sold bullets by the pound.

Originally Posted by huntsman22

Lol, That's a hellofa fish trap.
Posted By: krp Re: Your First Reloading Setup - 04/28/20
As kids in the 60s dad had us reload shotgun shells for him on the MEC, before we were able to shoot doves we were his bird dogs and shell loaders. I had my own kids do it, my daughter was reminiscing with her cousin, one of the things her cousin remembers is reloading shells at our house. I've loaded 10s of thousands of 12ga, still do, still have paper hulls and some old alcan card wads.

In the 90s I found a dusty box with a Herters press and a 3006 die set in dad's barn, he said a friend gave it to him years ago. So I took it and reloaded for my '06. Started buying guns just to reload for. Got over that phase, trimmed the stable down to about 10 guns, reload for hunting only now.

Kent
Posted By: oldcuss Re: Your First Reloading Setup - 04/28/20
Lee kit for 12ga in 1959
then in1960 Dad got a c-h press and some dies
with it 6.5x257-6.5 x55- 303 Brit and 30-06.
When I came back to the world in 1968 I
got a RCBS, some dies and kept adding rifles
and trying to learn something- still trying.
Oldcuss
Like many here, I started with a Lee Loader, .264 Magnum, about 1978. Advanced to a Rock Chucker. When the time came to get a progressive I learned of a new brand called "Dillon". I ordered one (Model 200?) and the owner's manual was hand written.

I'll never forget Dillon's philosophy, the last line in the owner's manual said something like: "If you have problems, call us at 800-xxx-xxxx. We can probably do more in a 5 minute phone call than a month of letter writing".

I wish I still had that owner's manual. Anyone else remember the hand written manual?
Posted By: Lorne Re: Your First Reloading Setup - 04/29/20
Originally Posted by gunzo
1974, an RCBS Jr. RCBS 22-250 dies, an Ohaus 505 scale & an uninked stamp pad from the office supply store, greased with RCBS sizing lube.

I've never regretted it but I have upgraded a bit.

1978 with the above plus an RCBS trickler, Lee Chamfer too.

Still use the press and the Ohaus I use for checking my Chargemaster
Posted By: djs Re: Your First Reloading Setup - 04/29/20
I started in 1956 using a neighbor's reloading setup for the 220 Swift (Lyman turret press). I bought my own setup (RCBS A2 press) in 1966 and loaded for the 38 Special, 45 ACP, 30-06 and 44 Magnum. Mow I have a RCBS Super Rockchucker and load for 18 cartridges.
Posted By: kwg020 Re: Your First Reloading Setup - 04/29/20
I bought an RCBS reloaders kit in the PX at Ft. Richardson Alaska in the fall of 1975. It included some 38 special dies and an RCBS JR3 press. I also bought a powder measure, an RCBS 510 scale and some 7x57 dies along with various other small things. I stuffed them in a corner of my wall locker until I was to ETS home in June of 1976. I had the Army ship them home for me along with some other items. I got on the airplane at Anchorage International with 8 or 9 guns stuck in my duffel bag. The stuff I had shipped home got to me about a month later in the middle of July. The first thing I tried loading was the 7x57. I managed not to blow the gun up. I had a few lessons from one of the guys I was stationed with and the rest was up to me. I don't think I had $150 dollars in the whole kit. I still use the RCBS JR3 almost daily. I have since picked up 3 more presses and a whole pile of goodies.

kwg
Posted By: CCCC Re: Your First Reloading Setup - 04/29/20
Started in 1962 with a C press, powder measure, scale and 7x57 dies from Minnesota Shooters Supply - very inexpensive by comparison to other brands at the time (cost less than Herters) and I think they made those for Herters as well). Added a few small accessories from MSS as time went by, and all of their stuff worked just fine - and still use some of them at times, The threaded setup on the end of the ram is a bit different than what normally is seen. Loved it all - got me off to a very good start.
Posted By: Seafire Re: Your First Reloading Setup - 04/29/20
Been loading since 1996... Started out with the Rock Chucker Kit package from RCBS...

25 years later that is exactly what I am using.. although I added another press...

and I have a lot more sets of dies... first caliber I started loading was my 30/06....trying to turn it into a 300 Weatherby....
( like an idiot... don't do that any more...) nowadays I take a 300 Win Mag and try to turn it into a 30/30....
Posted By: DBT Re: Your First Reloading Setup - 04/29/20
Lee hand press, you can reload anywhere.
1969. Lee Loader for 20ga.
Next was a Lee Loader for 270 WCF 1974
Then an RCBS Jr press, RCBS 505 scale and dies for 6.5x55 1975
Then in 1979 my sisters boyfriend's dad sold me a Lyman turret press, Pacific dies, Redding powder measure, 429244 Lyman mold, casting pot and lube sizer for 44 mag.

It hasn't stopped.
Started about 1967 with a Lyman Spartan press, Lyman .243 dies, and a used Lyman scale. Soon added Herters .38 spl. dies and started casting bullets with a single cavity Lyman 358477 mold. I still have and use all my original equipment. The Spartan for pistol reloading, neck sizing, and seating bullets in rifle rounds. Many years ago I added a Rockchucker bought used from a friend for FL resizing rifle cases.
15 years old

saved my money from slinging square-bailed hay all summer. I got the Lyman 6 turret T-mag set with scales and trimmer and all the stuff it came with. All I had to get was dies and components.

Also bought Craftsman 200 and something piece ratchet/socket set.

Became a grown ass man all in one day.
Mid 80's Lee load all for a 20 gauge. Still have the reloader but have not used it in years.
Back in the early '60's, I started with a big ole cast iron Herter's press, Herter's scale and Herter's dies. The "best in the world", as they were advertised. That set up did pretty good. I later sold the Herter stuff, replaced it with RCBS Jr. press, RCBS scale and RCBS dies.

First rounds loaded for were .222 and .38 Spec.

DF
Posted By: duck911 Re: Your First Reloading Setup - 04/29/20
Same set up I use today:

Lee classic cast, RCBS 505, RCBS Uniflow and trickler, Hornady or RCBS dies.

I load for:

.17 Fireball
.204 Ruger
22-250
30 Carbine
45-70
7MM-08
357 MAG/.38
.380 ACP
9mm
.44 Mag
.45 ACP

I have a few calibers I do not load for, for various reasons.
I first reloaded for my .300 Savage around 1961. A local store (Foster Sporting Goods) would let you use their gear if you bought your components from them. They were great at helping kids like me out.

A 100 gr half jacket and some BallC2 makes a great plinking load in a .300 Savage.
Posted By: Otter Re: Your First Reloading Setup - 04/29/20
Started with a Lee Anniversary Kit in '97, have added Lee hand press (mostly to deprime), small Lee press dedicated for priming with Lee Ram Prime priming tool, Redding Boss press, Lyman 450 lube sizer and various dies, 3 Lyman 55 powder measures, RCBS 10-10 scale, digital scale, and a bunch of dies of various mfrs from .204 Ruger ro 45-90. Also Lee lead pots and Lyman and Lee molds for a variety of bullets and round balls.

Forgot a Pacific 12 ga setup I picked up for $50 about 20 years ago.
Not sure exactly when I bought my first press. RCBS jr. I think around 1966. But I had been in a partnership reloading since 1964. 308, 243 and 357. Hasbeen
Ideal tong tool 1958
45-70 trapdoor
Homemade black powder. I think it runs in my veins !
I am so batshidt crazy i even have a setup for reloading 22 rimfire.
Dad got me a VersaMec '82 12 gauge press for Christmas, had to have been 1982 since I was 14. Also got all the goodies to go with it. Next day I asked for help doing it, he told me the instructions were in the box, read and follow(he didnt know anything about reloading). I figured it out, still have both eyes and all digits, and no guns blown up.

1995, Rockchucker kit and a set of 44 Mag Carbide dies. Same thing, opened the Speer manual that was in the box, and started reading.

Have added a schitt ton of stuff since, but still have the original equipment I started with. Still both eyes, all digits and no mishaps.
Denton: I have mentioned this "first reloading" of mine many times before on this forum and others.
"I" taught myself to reload at the age of 12 (1959) for my family's only Rifle - it was a sporterized military Winchester Model of 1917 in 30/06 caliber.
I got "free" brass that I picked up at the local range and surplus powder back then was 99 cents a pound!
I also began with a "Lee Loader" and then moved to a "Herters" press some time later, and shortly thereafter an R.C.B.S. press.
I still use "reloading" as the best way to obtain the most accurate/reliable/repeatable ammunition and as a great form of relaxation/therapy.
Reloading is still one of my most favored hobbies and pastimes.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Your First Reloading Setup - 04/29/20

My first metallic press was bequeathed to me by a mentor. It was an early Herter's model. It always reminded me of something that I had seen, but I could never put my finger on what it was. Then a couple of years ago, we were in back in Duluth after many years, and there in Canal Park was a memorial featuring a Navy anchor - bingo.
Originally Posted by denton
What did you start with, and when?

I started in about 1980, with a Lee Loader and a scale, making 30-06 ammo for a rifle I bought (no kidding) at the J C Penney outlet store in Sparks, NV. The neighbor who was giving me advice was sure that hollow points were the way to go, but had no idea why one of his bullets blew up on impact, removing a good piece of deer hide without penetrating.

I started in the early 1960's with a 30.06 Lee Loader and dippers for my left hand Savage I found at Famous Barr in St. Louis. About the only rifle they had left...
Couldn't wait to show it to my left-handed Granddad who later taught me how he learned to shoot a Springfield in WWI.
I just came into possession of one of the Lee handheld loaders.

Have not played with it but it might be good for building up some arm strength.
Posted By: RickyD Re: Your First Reloading Setup - 04/29/20
I started reloading with a RCBS JRS for a Smith 27 357 back in 1974. That reloader served me well, reloading everything I put it to the task to including the 460 Wby. Recently I bought a Forester Co Ax and loving it! I had a Hornady 366 shotshell loader too, but sold it after trap shooting wasn't a thing for me anymore.
'77 or'78. Rockchukar, 10-10 scale RCBS dies for 30-06 and 7x57. Add things as needed. Still have and use. A lot.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Your First Reloading Setup - 04/29/20
Originally Posted by plainsman456
I just came into possession of one of the Lee handheld loaders.

Have not played with it but it might be good for building up some arm strength.

Are you talking the "nutcracker" type? They are a very different animal than the original Lee Loaders.
Was putting on a new roof for a couple, I was given a Lee smelter and a tool box full of molds and handles, other casting tools.

Old girl told me her husband was already too stupid and didn’t need to be messing around with melting lead in their garage.

lol
© 24hourcampfire