Home
Posted By: vbshootinrange Rye Whiskey? - 04/29/20
Anyone like Rye Whiskey?

Been having Canadian Hunter Rye on sale at my local "watering hole"

$8.95 a fifth. Gave it a try, and darned if I didn't like it!

I like the taste better than blended Whiskeys.

Been reading old westerns, and the cowboys always ordered a shot of Rye,

So, I HAD to give it a try! (GRIN!)

Virgil B.
Posted By: mathman Re: Rye Whiskey? - 04/29/20
Try Rittenhouse bottled in bond rye.
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Rye Whiskey? - 04/29/20
Old Overholt (AKA Old Overalls). Now there's a man's drink! (left hand on hat to hold it down when you shoot down four fingers).
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Rye Whiskey? - 04/29/20
First off, Canadians can't make whiskey. That garbage they try to pass off as whiskey is industrial solvent at best..........just sayin'.

As to the rye, it's something that I'd been wanting to try for some time. I got my chance last fall. I had a hard time deciding which one to try. It came down to Bulliet and Jack Daniels. Both were made with about the same percentage of rye grain. While holding both bottles the Jack Daniels rye looked darker so the Bulliet went back on the shelf. When I tried the Jack rye, I instantly liked it. I can see it replacing other stuff I would usually be buying.. I intend to try the Bulliet and ryes made by other notable distillers as time goes on. But the Jack was a good call for a first try.
Posted By: New_2_99s Re: Rye Whiskey? - 04/29/20
First off, that's a bit like you "guys" extolling the excellent beers you make !

Secondly, Canadians do make some excellent whiskey.

Maybe, you should "explore" some more before firing from the hip.
My choice of "American";

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Fanofthefortyone Re: Rye Whiskey? - 04/29/20
Try Basil Hayden dark rye, it’s pretty good.
https://www.basilhaydens.com/dark-rye
Ronnie
Posted By: River_Ridge Re: Rye Whiskey? - 04/29/20
Originally Posted by New_2_99s

No ice? whistle
Posted By: nighthawk Re: Rye Whiskey? - 04/29/20
Been away from rye for a while. Beam's used to be my standard easy to find brand. Wild Turkey made some very good rye for the best Manhattan ever. Old Overalls was just for fun or if that; all the store had.
Never ice, just a splash of water to open it up.

& by splash, I mean a teaspoon full.
My choice of "Canadian";

John Hall of Forty Creek, has won a $hit load of medals, at the International level.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Rye Whiskey? - 04/29/20
New 2 99s:
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the day's bright and clear for you folks and this finds you well.

Thanks kindly for defending our whisky makers, I'd agree that to paint all with the same brush would be doing a disservice to some of the smaller makers.

If you like 40 Creek offerings, you may - should you not have tried it yet - like the stuff made by Pike Creek.

http://www.pikecreekwhisky.com/s/agegate.php

They don't do temperature controls on their barrel room so it goes through the cycles of Ontario summers and winters. Second casking is into rum barrels too, though they used to be port barrels I believe. Anyway, quite smooth really.

There used to be one out of Alberta - from the guys who made Alberta Springs - called Tangle Ridge which was a 10 year old casked into sherry barrels which was very nice as well, but they've either stopped making it or bringing it into BC.

Oh, should say I prefer rye warm, with enough water to bring the alcohol back to about 25% or so.

Anyway sir, if you've tried it and not enjoyed it then sorry for the suggestion, but if not then you might!

All the best to you and yours Paul. Stay well.

Dwayne
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Rye Whiskey? - 04/29/20
First off, that's a bit like you "guys" extolling the excellent beers you make !

I actually love Canadian beers. Never met one of those that I didn't like. I'll take a Canadian beer over the usual American national brand swill.

I've never heard of or seen Forty Creek before.
Posted By: EdM Re: Rye Whiskey? - 04/29/20
My choice of "American";

This is what I drink. Had a couple of Old Fashioneds last night. Rye really makes a proper Old Fashioned.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: Rye Whiskey? - 04/29/20
Originally Posted by stevelyn
I actually love Canadian beers. Never met one of those that I didn't like. I'll take a Canadian beer over the usual American national brand swill.
They just need to dump those awful green bottles! eek
Posted By: comerade Re: Rye Whiskey? - 04/29/20
I second " Forty Creek" rye whiskey, Canuck here, 62 years ( and change).
A Whiskey in Canada is not a sour mash, it is Rye and F.C. has replaced Canadian Club in our liquor cabinets in this region.
We mix it, sip on it and flavor our coffee with this good stuff.Give it a go, folks.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Rye Whiskey? - 04/29/20
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Rye Whiskey? - 04/29/20
Pendeldton makes a Rye that will cause you to pass out in the driveway.

Its pretty good.

I have seen the Canadian Hunter....but never tried it.

Jim Beam Rye I like.

Would like to try Jack Daniels rye too.
Posted By: MontanaMan Re: Rye Whiskey? - 04/29/20
"Rye is a Westerner's drink", someone once said in a movie........................

MM
Posted By: NDsnowman Re: Rye Whiskey? - 04/29/20
Bulliet isn't too bad. High West, Roknar (if you can find it) and Templeton are all good choices as well.
Posted By: 280shooter Re: Rye Whiskey? - 04/29/20
WhistlePig Straight Rye Whiskey, Wild Turkey, Rittenhouse, Basil Hayden Dark are solid. Peerless seemed good, but I was pretty lubed up at the time. I think I'll try Big Bottom Delta Rye next. 111 proof sounds fun.
Posted By: 79S Re: Rye Whiskey? - 04/29/20
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Its pretty good.

Jim Beam Rye I like.

Pendleton 1910 rye whiskey is good. It’s made in Canada and shipped to Oregon and bottled in hood river, Oregon.
Originally Posted by BC30cal
New 2 99s:
Top of the morning to you sir, I hope the day's bright and clear for you folks and this finds you well.

Thanks kindly for defending our whisky makers, I'd agree that to paint all with the same brush would be doing a disservice to some of the smaller makers.

If you like 40 Creek offerings, you may - should you not have tried it yet - like the stuff made by Pike Creek.

http://www.pikecreekwhisky.com/s/agegate.php

They don't do temperature controls on their barrel room so it goes through the cycles of Ontario summers and winters. Second casking is into rum barrels too, though they used to be port barrels I believe. Anyway, quite smooth really.

There used to be one out of Alberta - from the guys who made Alberta Springs - called Tangle Ridge which was a 10 year old casked into sherry barrels which was very nice as well, but they've either stopped making it or bringing it into BC.

Oh, should say I prefer rye warm, with enough water to bring the alcohol back to about 25% or so.

Anyway sir, if you've tried it and not enjoyed it then sorry for the suggestion, but if not then you might!

All the best to you and yours Paul. Stay well.

Dwayne

Howdy Neighbour !

Thanks Dwayne, yes I have tried the port casked Pike Creek & did enjoy it.

Have not seen it at our local Liquor store for sometime, I think they bought it in for a fathers day promotion.

I also like Pendeltons (sp)!

Worth a look; https://www.fortycreekwhisky.com/

Great range, from basement to ceiling levels. Interesting biography on John & his background & passion.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Its pretty good.

Jim Beam Rye I like.

Ha, ha, I remember that story !!

grin

We need to sit, sip & laugh our guts out Jim !
Posted By: BKinSD Re: Rye Whiskey? - 04/29/20
I'm partial to Sazerac myself. I don't care for CC or Bulleit at all. I had a bottle of Basil Hayden's Dark that didn't thrill me either.
Posted By: BC30cal Re: Rye Whiskey? - 04/29/20
Paul:
Just happen to be in the house for a bit and saw this.

Thanks for the reply sir, much appreciated.

We're the same way in the BCLDB stores as they must purchase based on availability and how fast the stock moves.

When I first tried Pike Creek it just showed up, then it vanished like the Tangle Ridge did. It has now returned once again, but I can't say for how long of course.

They also make a "special blend" one that's about double the cost - which I am reluctant to try in the event that I prefer it, you know?

Had that happen when the kids bought me some Eldorado 15 year old rum for some renovation work I did for them..... of course now that I've tried it, the 12 year old just doesn't do!

Thanks much sir, all the best to you and your family and do stay well.

Dwayne
Originally Posted by Tyrone

Can't think of a single domestic beer, bottled in green.

Heineken (Dutch), Steinlager (NZ) imports ???
Posted By: rifletom Re: Rye Whiskey? - 04/29/20
Originally Posted by nighthawk
Old Overholt (AKA Old Overalls). Now there's a man's drink! (left hand on hat to hold it down when you shoot down four fingers).

This right here!^^^^ Good chit!
Posted By: Springcove Re: Rye Whiskey? - 04/29/20
High West Rendezvous Rye. Not cheap but very good.
Posted By: MarkFed Re: Rye Whiskey? - 04/29/20
I keep the Pendleton 1910 and a couple bottles of Yellow Rose around at all times.
Originally Posted by BC30cal
Paul:
Just happen to be in the house for a bit and saw this.

Thanks for the reply sir, much appreciated.

We're the same way in the BCLDB stores as they must purchase based on availability and how fast the stock moves.

When I first tried Pike Creek it just showed up, then it vanished like the Tangle Ridge did. It has now returned once again, but I can't say for how long of course.

They also make a "special blend" one that's about double the cost - which I am reluctant to try in the event that I prefer it, you know?

Had that happen when the kids bought me some Eldorado 15 year old rum for some renovation work I did for them..... of course now that I've tried it, the 12 year old just doesn't do!

Thanks much sir, all the best to you and your family and do stay well.

Dwayne

Too True Dwayne !

I look at it this way;

As I age (mature), I don't consume nearly as many mixed drinks as I once did, therefore, I can afford to spend a little more on the ones I like to sip !!

That said, I'd rather happily pay "over the border" prices, than our .gov controlled & operated (& thoroughly taxed) prices.

Forgive the Aussie in me, but for the life of me, I can't understand why the Canadian Government controls our liquor/beer/lottery sales ?

Cheers.
Posted By: ryoushi Re: Rye Whiskey? - 04/29/20
Woodford rye is worth a taste.
Posted By: Dillonbuck Re: Rye Whiskey? - 04/29/20
Not to upset my northern neighbors, but if you are talking about
Rye whiskey, and Canada is mentioned, you need to clarify exactly
What the product is.

Bourbon is a designated product.
There are standard's in ingredients and process.

Same with Rye.

In the USA.

It's my understanding that Canadian hooch can be called "Rye", even if
it ain't got no Rye.
Posted By: Wannabebwana Re: Rye Whiskey? - 04/29/20

Uh, Moosehead?
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Rye Whiskey? - 04/29/20
Originally Posted by mathman

Word!

But it got very expensive here. It had been a great deal. Last time I saw a bottle they wanted about $50...
Yep, that's definitely in green !
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: Rye Whiskey? - 04/29/20
LOTS of good information guys!

Thanks for all the "good" ideas!

It must be "taste test" time!

Virgil B.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Not to upset my northern neighbors, but if you are talking about
Rye whiskey, and Canada is mentioned, you need to clarify exactly
What the product is.

Bourbon is a designated product.
There are standard's in ingredients and process.

Same with Rye.

In the USA.

It's my understanding that Canadian hooch can be called "Rye", even if
it ain't got no Rye.

In truth, "Rye" has been adopted, kind of like a slang word, for Canadian Whiskey, by the unwashed masses.

As in, I'll have a rye n coke - meaning house whiskey (cheapest) & coke.

Examples; Seagrams 7, Canadian Club, Alberta Premium (ha, ha) etc, etc
Posted By: 4th_point Re: Rye Whiskey? - 04/29/20
Originally Posted by vbshootinrange
Anyone like Rye Whiskey?

I do, but most often just buy OGD Bottled-in-Bond. It has a high rye content.

At one point, a distiller in Indiana was making a lot of rye for other companies. There was a bunch of them, including Bulleit and George Dickel. I don't know about now.

Midwest Grain Products (MGP) is the distiller in Indiana if you're curious.

J
Posted By: Jiggdog Re: Rye Whiskey? - 04/29/20
Just as an aside---- when you talk of Moosehead beer and it's iconic moose head which originated in Nova Scotia, I have the 1886 Winchester in 45--70 that reportedly shot the moose that the logo was taken from 100 years ago.
Posted By: Sitka deer Re: Rye Whiskey? - 04/29/20
Originally Posted by Jiggdog
Just as an aside---- when you talk of Moosehead beer and it's iconic moose head which originated in Nova Scotia, I have the 1886 Winchester in 45--70 that reportedly shot the moose that the logo was taken from 100 years ago.

That would make a hell of a sales pitch!
👍
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Rye Whiskey? - 04/29/20
Originally Posted by mathman

That is what I have in my booze locker. Excellent choice
Posted By: Mannlicher Re: Rye Whiskey? - 04/29/20

Yuengling
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Rye Whiskey? - 04/29/20
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Originally Posted by Jiggdog

That would make a hell of a sales pitch!
👍

No chit! My ole pappy always said “buy the rifle, not the story”, but that’s a good one.
Posted By: Joe_D Re: Rye Whiskey? - 04/30/20
If you are in Pennsylvania, Wigle Rye is very good and they can ship anywhere in PA or Washington DC. Their Manhattan kits are excellent. Check out their website at wiglewhiskey.com they have rye finished in port barrels, as well as very high proof Cask Cut Rye that is smooth as silk. Also good is Knob Creek 100 proof rye, and Blood Oath (when you can find it).
The Wigle delivery option came in handy during the governor's closing of the liquor stores.
Posted By: stevelyn Re: Rye Whiskey? - 04/30/20

Worth a look; https://www.fortycreekwhisky.com/

Great range, from basement to ceiling levels. Interesting biography on John & his background & passion.

Explored around a bit over on the Forty Creek website. Intriguing. I'm convinced I should give it a try if i can find it in skANC. I also noticed that it's a newish company. That's probably why I had never heard of it before.
© 24hourcampfire