Home
Posted By: EdM Another Engineer - 05/05/20
I just sent my son a text, "I assume you, like me, are a mechanical engineer?" His reply, "I believe so." He headed back to A&M yesterday for his last exam today and to move out. He ran online from home here since mid-March. Darn proud Dad here and he, like me in 1985, is eager to get on with work after a couple of summer months in north Idaho with his fiance.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Another Engineer - 05/05/20
Hell of a thing.

Congrats to the lad.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Another Engineer - 05/05/20
Good for him!

Is he going to pursue his PE license?
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Another Engineer - 05/05/20
Congrats!😎

The last six weeks musta been a PITA for him.
Posted By: 6MMWASP Re: Another Engineer - 05/05/20
Good for him. Congrats
Posted By: jackmountain Re: Another Engineer - 05/05/20
Outstanding!
Posted By: VaHunter Re: Another Engineer - 05/05/20
Congrats to the new grad. Make sure he takes his first part of his Professional Engineers Exam now while his education, especially math, is still fresh. Legally you are not allowed to advertise yourself an engineer to the public until you have passed both Parts A and B of the exam. Part A is the Fundamentals Exam and it is basically a final exam of what you learned in college. After completing Part A (what use to be called "Engineer-in-Training") must work under a Professional Engineer typically for 6 years at which time they qualify to take Part B of the exam and then they are a "Professional Engineer". Part B is a more practically part of the examination where the candidate must solve engineering problems where they can choose problems from the discipline in which they are trained, i.e. Mechanical, Electrical, Civil, etc.

Many new graduates don't think they need the P.E. License because they are going to work for some industry which may not require it. Later in their career they decide they want to work as a consultant and now must take the exam years after schooling which makes passing the Part A much more difficult.

Edit: Sorry dad, I did not read your post very well. With you being an Engineer you know the process.
Posted By: Timbermaster Re: Another Engineer - 05/05/20
Congrats to the both of you. It appears he had a good mentor.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Another Engineer - 05/05/20
Congrats!
Posted By: dye7barrel Re: Another Engineer - 05/05/20
Thermodynamics isn't for the faint of heart
Posted By: ironbender Re: Another Engineer - 05/05/20
Congrats to him, Ed!
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Another Engineer - 05/05/20
Well done, Ed. I know that you and the missus are peacock proud and well you should be.
Posted By: Pharmseller Re: Another Engineer - 05/05/20
So now he can work on trains? Cool!

P
Posted By: mathman Re: Another Engineer - 05/05/20
Congratulations. That's a strong engineering school, and there are Aggies out there waiting to recruit him.
Posted By: EdM Re: Another Engineer - 05/06/20
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Good for him!

Doubtful as it is really useless when working for an oil company (Shell in my case and Motiva in his case). I tell you I just relived driving home from school on that day way back then.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Another Engineer - 05/06/20
Originally Posted by EdM
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
Good for him!

Doubtful as it is really useless when working for an oil company (Shell in my case and Motiva in his case). I tell you I just relived driving home from school on that day way back then.

Ed, what do you call an Aggie Engineer after 5 years on the job ?

Boss.
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Another Engineer - 05/06/20
Originally Posted by EdM
I just sent my son a text, "I assume you, like me, are a mechanical engineer?" His reply, "I believe so." He headed back to A&M yesterday for his last exam today and to move out. He ran online from home here since mid-March. Darn proud Dad here and he, like me in 1985, is eager to get on with work after a couple of summer months in north Idaho with his fiance.

Bachlors, Masters, PHD???
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Another Engineer - 05/06/20
He has earned respect from me. Congratulations to him.
Posted By: tater74 Re: Another Engineer - 05/06/20
I have great respect for the Aggies having lived there for 9 years. I do however think that they are cult like in their rituals and customs.

Also, do you know how an Aggie spells farm?

E. I. E. I. O.
Posted By: hanco Re: Another Engineer - 05/06/20
Congrats. Lots of very hard work!
Posted By: UNCCGrad Re: Another Engineer - 05/06/20
Congrats to him, very proud moment for you I'm sure. During my tenure in engineering school we visited TAMU for a national steel bridge competition. Very nice place and seemed to have an excellent program. I'm sure their standards are high and anyone with a BS in Engineering from there should be proud.
Posted By: denton Re: Another Engineer - 05/06/20
Great accomplishment! Congratulations. I hope he has a wonderful career, and I'll bet he does. Good on you for raising him to succeed.
Posted By: Gun_Geezer Re: Another Engineer - 05/06/20
Aggie Mech Engr myself. Class of '81.

Congrats!
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: Another Engineer - 05/06/20
If you hire an engineer from Tennessee State University, make him buy his own mop and broom!
Jerry
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Another Engineer - 05/06/20
Ed, congratulations to your son. We're all proud of him. That's no small feat.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Another Engineer - 05/06/20
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
If you hire an engineer from Tennessee State University, make him buy his own mop and broom!
Jerry

A countrified buddy that I graduated with said that upon graduation and landing a good job he wrote back home to his mom telling her of his success and to please send him his tool set.

She sent him a hoe and a jug of water.
Posted By: RiverRider Re: Another Engineer - 05/06/20
Outstanding accomplishment, and you have every reason to be proud.

I kinda wish sometimes I'd stuck with mechanical engineering or even electrical where I started out my college days, but I ended up taking a tortuous path to arrive where I have and that's okay. It's been an interesting ride...and maybe that's what matters most.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Another Engineer - 05/06/20
Congrats to the Lad!!
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Another Engineer - 05/06/20
Congratulations to the boy, Ed.. and to you And your wife for bringing him up right.
Posted By: tnscouter Re: Another Engineer - 05/06/20
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Jerry

What a dickish and unnecessary comment.

Ed: Congratulations to your family. I have an Aggie engineer in my extended family and he does very well. -tnscouter
Posted By: SCgman1 Re: Another Engineer - 05/06/20
Originally Posted by dye7barrel

I was browsing a clemson board years ago and a thread titled, "what was the toughest course you took at Clemson?"

Several chemistries were listed ....organic chemistry, p-chemistry, etc. Someone simply responded...

Thermalgoddamits
Posted By: mbhunt Re: Another Engineer - 05/06/20
That's great! Lots to be proud of there.
Posted By: mathman Re: Another Engineer - 05/06/20
I don't remember thermo as being that bad. Solid state physics, taken in the Physics department, was a bear. The physics profs looked down their noses at mere electrical engineering students.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: Another Engineer - 05/06/20
Thermo wasnt that bad for me, the second time....something about applying oneself.

Congrats to your boy.

I’m married to an Aggie, not an engineer though. Cultish clan they are.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Another Engineer - 05/06/20
Glad he made it and good fortunes for the future.

You should be proud.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Another Engineer - 05/06/20
Awesome! Excellent job!
Posted By: huskyrunner Re: Another Engineer - 05/06/20
Gig ‘em!

‘85
Congrats to Tony!

I’ll buy him a beverage when lockdowns cease. Did he enjoy the Russell’s? Or, does he have another favored libation?

FC
Posted By: Gringo Loco Re: Another Engineer - 05/06/20
That's fantastic EdM. Congrats to the both of you.
Posted By: KRAKMT Re: Another Engineer - 05/06/20
Fine achievement!
I have two siblings that became engineers.
This is a joke from them!

What’s the difference between an introverted engineer and an extroverted engineer?

Extroverted engineer stares at your shoes!
Posted By: Theo Gallus Re: Another Engineer - 05/06/20
Well, if you can't cut Electrical Engineering, being an ME is okay. wink
Posted By: roof Re: Another Engineer - 05/06/20
Well done, Ed.
Posted By: Hook Re: Another Engineer - 05/06/20
Originally Posted by SCgman1
Originally Posted by dye7barrel

I was browsing a clemson board years ago and a thread titled, "what was the toughest course you took at Clemson?"

Several chemistries were listed ....organic chemistry, p-chemistry, etc. Someone simply responded...

Thermalgoddamits

I will also agree with this! I took the Fundamentals portion of the PE pathway while a Junior at Auburn back in the dark ages. It still ranks as one of the most stressing 8 hours of my life. Was convinced I'd blown it at the end of the day but didn't. Themalgoddamits is right! That schmidt was just pure torture.

Congratulations to your boy (and to you) for graduating from a fine school with a very prestigious degree! Despite your experience, I still believe that it would be in his best interest to pursue his PE. To do so, he needs to tackle the Fundamentals test immediately. That thing is not for the faint of heart and I cannot imagine passing it after being away from the subject matter for a few years. The PE exam was a breeze for me after taking a little brush up study course, but you cannot do that with the Fundamentals.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: Another Engineer - 05/06/20
Two engineering students were crossing campus when one asked the other, "Where did you get such a great bike?"

The second engineer replied, "Well, I was walking along yesterday minding my own business when a beautiful woman rode up on this bike. She threw the bike to the ground, took off all her clothes and said, "Take what you want."

"The second engineer nodded approvingly, "Good choice; the clothes probably wouldn't have fit.
Reaching the end of a job interview, the HR manager asked the young engineer fresh out of university, “And what starting salary were you looking for?”

The engineer said, “In the neighborhood of $100,000 a year, depending on the benefits package.”

The HR Manager said, “Well, what would you say to a package of $200,000 a year, 5 weeks of vacation, 14 paid holidays, full medical and dental, company matching retirement fund to 50% of salary and a company car leased every 2 years – say, a Mercedes?”

The engineer sat up straight and said, “Wow!!! Are you joking?”

And the HR Manager said, “Of course…but you started it.”
Originally Posted by EdM

Congrats on your son's success. I'd be darn proud as well.

Our company works in a large refinery here in NB and with a lot of engineers in that refinery. Many of them are just too smart and/or proud to listen to us mere mortals who have hands on practical experience and thus miss a great opportunity to learn valuable lessons in their trade. My advice to your son would be to listen to those he works with and he will get a lot more respect/help from those people. Win/win.
Posted By: GreggH Re: Another Engineer - 05/06/20
Ed
Congratulations on the boy! He has put in a lot of hard studying to get there. Catching a glimpse of it myself as my oldest son is finishing up his at the U. of South Carolina this fall. Vibrations and Thermo were his favorites. Lol. Hope a long a brilliant future for your son.
GreggH
Posted By: deflave Re: Another Engineer - 05/06/20
Ed,

May he and your designs be cursed by end users for generations to come.

Congrats.
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
Congrats to Tony!

I’ll buy him a beverage when lockdowns cease. Did he enjoy the Russell’s? Or, does he have another favored libation?

FC

Bulleit Rye Joe and thanks.
Originally Posted by deflave
Ed,

May he and your designs be cursed by end users for generations to come.

Congrats.

Like this? wink

[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Posted By: deflave Re: Another Engineer - 05/06/20
Where the hell you plug that thing in?
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Another Engineer - 05/06/20
Good morning Ed, I tried yesterday to type out congratulations to the young man. This site can get slow for me.

It sounds as thought you, and wife have done a fine job with all the children.
Originally Posted by deflave
Where the hell you plug that thing in?

Next to its 10 brothers. He wants to do exactly what I did.

Posted By: mudhen Re: Another Engineer - 05/06/20
Ed,

Belated but sincere kudos to your newest young engineer!

You guys have done an amazing job nurturing your family while dealing with a life more complicated than most of us can imagine. Wishing all of you nothing but the best as you settle in to the new dynamic(s).

Congratulations to all of you!

Ben
© 24hourcampfire