Home
File this one away under WTF...

That engine cowling ain't gonna be cheap to replace either! eek

Looks like some of him is still sticking out...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

https://metro.co.uk/2020/05/08/man-...-737-going-walk-airport-runway-12673850/

A man has been struck and killed by a Boeing 737 after he walked along an airport runway. The unidentified victim – believed to be a trespasser – died after being hit by the Southwest plane at Austin-Bergstrom International Airport in Texas on Thursday evening. CBS News reported that the plane’s pilot saw the man before hitting him, and tried to maneuver the jet out of the way, but was unable to do so. An airport driver found the man’s remains on the runway shortly afterwards. Medical help was summoned, but he was pronounced dead at the scene. A photo of the plane involved shows a huge dent on its cowling (engine housing) believed to have been caused by the moment of impact. The runway where the man was struck was closed for further investigation, with Austin-Bergstrom’s second runway remaining open. No-one on the affected plane, which had come from Dallas, was injured, with all on board disembarking shortly afterwards. The man killed did not have any identification on him, and was not wearing an airport uniform. Police are continuing to investigate who he is, how he got onto the runway, and what he was doing there.

A Southwest spokesman told Fox7: ‘Southwest is fully cooperating with local law enforcement and FAA as those agencies investigate the event. We sincerely thank our Crew for their professionalism and swift response.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Death by airplane!
Another corvid 19 death.
It looked like he hit the side of the cowling. I doubt he was ingested.
Originally Posted by slumlord

You're sick......but you make me laugh.......I hate you.
Was he stoned?!?!
Good thing it was landing? (you dont taxi on the runway...)
Thrust reverse probably prevented the meat grinder...
Had to be going fast to leave a dent like that.
Originally Posted by SBTCO

You're sick......but you make me laugh.......I hate you.

Yes he does!!

Boring when he was out of commission
Talk about playing in traffic.
Originally Posted by UPhiker

Another time, another place.

I'm thinking it's the first suicide by jetliner.
The article didn't say if the plane was taxiing, taking off, or landing. Could've been any of the three.
The article also didn’t give a description of the man which means he’s black if it was a criminal story but if he was black, they’d surely have made it out to be a “Black Pedestrian Run Down by Racist Pilot” story right? Hmmm. Maybe the reporter just sucks.
One less Dumascrap
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

With less flights its harder than it used to be.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
The article didn't say if the plane was taxiing, taking off, or landing. Could've been any of the three.

RR,
I figure on take off he definitely would have been sucked in.
Taxiing? That is a heck of a dent and I still think he would have been sucked in, unless the jet was turning into him, but it said he was on the runway..
I guess with as few flights as there are the pilot could have been spoiling up as he turned onto the runway...

Except for 9/11, Gremanwings 9525, EgyptAir 990 and a lot of others.
so he was crafty enough to get out onto the runway, but not smart enough to stay out of the way.
mental illness, there I think. hate to hear about it, though.
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea

With less flights its harder than it used to be.

RR,
I figure on take off he definitely would have been sucked in.
Taxiing? That is a heck of a dent and I still think he would have been sucked in, unless the jet was turning into him, but it said he was on the runway..
I guess with as few flights as there are the pilot could have been spoiling up as he turned onto the runway...

Dent is on the outside of the ring cowling not the leading edge. Also a major dent on the side cowling. I seriously doubt he was ingested into the engine. The fact that they found the body also supports no ingestion. One less methican for taxpayers to support.
Originally Posted by 19352012

Except for 9/11, Gremanwings 9525, EgyptAir 990 and a lot of others.

Not counting murderers/terrorists.
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Bit of hyperbole there. grin I was there that night and saw it happen live from my chair in ready one. No one had any clue he'd gone down the intake until he fell out on the deck. Cat 3 is dark as all get out and when the motor FOD'ed everyone's night vision was shot. I doubt he would have made it down to the compressor, the bullet nose on the J52P408 doesn't leave much space but he was sure deaf on TR-TV that next night.

Apparently (from a SWA guy) the Austin guy got hit right after the nose gear came down on landing. Gotta feels bad for the crew. The guy on the runway, meh, he had to know he was there and it's not like a 737 doesn't have 1.3 gigwatts of landing lights.
hmm, I read article, was landing, and then stopped taxi off to check I'm sure, and then was directed to a gate to unload.

And I read fast and at a glance and thats what I got out of it. Play with big planes ain't safe either.
LOL!!!

Sir Dumb of Azz out wandering around on a runway.
Gets squashed like a bug by a jet.
And its reads like a tragedy the crew has to endure now???

Fugg they got a kill now.
Own it with pride.
Spray paint a kill mark on the nose of the plane.
Something that looks like a bum pushing a full of schit shopping cart around.

LOL!!
Pugs - thanks for the first-hand account. It is always good to hear the story from someone who was a witness.
makes you appreciate how professional, cool, calm, and collective our sailors are working on a flight deck playing dodge ball with 55,000lbs of jet out to kill them....every day every night for 8 months at a time on a pitching deck.....for peasant wages.
Pugs - thanks for the first-hand account. It is always good to hear the story from someone who was a witness.

Agree with the thanks to Pugs..
Intruder (or mos 1-2 seater military aircraft probably have a different intake configuration...
Hence the visible fan blades on 737...

But I am no A&p expert..
If it weren't a suicide, it just goes to show ya when its your time to go, its time.
Wiley Coyote?
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Originally Posted by renegade50
LOL!!!

Sir Dumb of Azz out wandering around on a runway.
Gets squashed like a bug by a jet.
And its reads like a tragedy the crew has to endure now???

Fugg they got a kill now.
Own it with pride.
Spray paint a kill mark on the nose of the plane.
Something that looks like a bum pushing a full of schit shopping cart around.

LOL!!

Haha it was this dumbass...his kinfolk get run over by trains too

Imagine that

Haha it was this dumbass...his kinfolk get run over by trains too

My guess is that his kinfolk gonna get some munny...

After they sue the Austin Airport, Airport police, and SW Airlines, for allowing his dumb ass to slip through security and suicide by jetliner in front of God and everyone.
Maybe he was a tweaker that no one will miss.

Was there even stew meat left to determine he/she? Lol
Originally Posted by Pugs

Bit of hyperbole there. grin I was there that night and saw it happen live from my chair in ready one. No one had any clue he'd gone down the intake until he fell out on the deck. Cat 3 is dark as all get out and when the motor FOD'ed everyone's night vision was shot. I doubt he would have made it down to the compressor, the bullet nose on the J52P408 doesn't leave much space but he was sure deaf on TR-TV that next night.

Apparently (from a SWA guy) the Austin guy got hit right after the nose gear came down on landing. Gotta feels bad for the crew. The guy on the runway, meh, he had to know he was there and it's not like a 737 doesn't have 1.3 gigwatts of landing lights.

You really do respect the guys who dodge in-and-out and around Navy carrier planes. One distraction or moment of absent mindedness and it's over.

Who would taxi at the speed required to
cause such level of cowling damage?
Even when back tracking, would they
get up that kind of speed ?

Finally...was having a brain fart.

It’s in this Blur song....lol

737. 738. Whatever it takes.
I wonder if he knew something on Hillary?
Originally Posted by Starman

My question earlier.
Saving you the read thru, it was just after the nose wheel came down...

Would it be bad to say I hope they can't identify the Darwin award winner?
I would guess that his DNA would indeed match some of those folks incarcerated.
Originally Posted by OldmanoftheSea
Originally Posted by Starman

My question earlier.
Saving you the read thru, it was just after the nose wheel came down...

Would it be bad to say I hope they can't identify the Darwin award winner?

If that engine was burning hot enough, they may not be able to tell what color he was before the accident.

Race of Victim: Burnt Turkey

laugh
Bet he doesn't have the guts ta do that again.
Darwin Award Silver Star
My nephew works at that Airport fueling Private & Military planes that come in out there. He’s refueled Trump’s plane a few times and got to meet him and Hannity when was running for POTUS and again after he was elected.
Said Trump gave him a $100 tip and Hannity gave him a $50.

Anyhow he said he was off yesterday and missed the action. 😬
Originally Posted by Mike_S
Another corvid 19 death.

Yeah, you're right. It had to be.
Originally Posted by OrangeOkie
Darwin Award Silver Star

Yep
© 24hourcampfire