Home
Posted By: 12344mag Well that was fun! - 05/10/20
Wednesday evening I was coming down off a ladder and my foot slipped on the rung went inside the ladder and when I grabbed the ladder to try to keep upright the leg on the ladder snapped, fun ride and it fugged me up pretty good.

When I landed of course it was on my head........I was completely paralyzed for a few minutes including breathing. Slowly things came back and I was able to call out to the next door neighbor for help.

They took me by Ambulance and I was sprung from the hospital on Friday morning.

Severe concussion, 6 stitches in my noggin and a bruised inner spinal cord. The reason for the bruised spinal cord is evidently I have a bad case of Spinal Stenosis in C3,4 & 5. Doc says it needs to be taken care of immediately as another jolt to it like this and in will be lights out permanently or I'll be paralyzed.

So it looks like a neck fusion is a few weeks away.

Fun stuff.......
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Well that was fun! - 05/10/20
Thoughts and prayers from Iowa for it all to work out well for you.
Posted By: Dryfly24 Re: Well that was fun! - 05/10/20
I’m sorry it happened at all; Glad it wasn’t any worse for you though.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Well that was fun! - 05/10/20
Good luck!
Posted By: 43Shooter Re: Well that was fun! - 05/10/20
Best wishes for a full recovery. The older I get the less I like ladders.
Posted By: Springcove Re: Well that was fun! - 05/10/20
But did you get diagnosed with Covid?... All kidding aside glad you are ok. Be safe out there.
Posted By: bruinruin Re: Well that was fun! - 05/10/20
Damn, Pauly! I'm glad it wasn't worse, (though it sounds pretty bad). Hope you're doing OK for now and that you're able to get treatment ASAP during this messed up time.
Posted By: poboy Re: Well that was fun! - 05/10/20
Good Luck, friend!!!
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Well that was fun! - 05/10/20
Don't get me wrong here, I'm doing really well, the worst is the dizziness from the concussion but with the meds it's tolerable. It seems that everyday gets twice as good as the day before but I'm sure that will slow down.

I'm a very lucky man as I know a guy who fell about the same distance as I did and he's dead. Compared to him I'm doing well.....
Posted By: smokepole Re: Well that was fun! - 05/10/20
Damn, that's why I hate ladders. Glad you're OK, could've been worse. Thinking of your leg going through the rungs, that could've turned out bad.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Well that was fun! - 05/10/20
Dang dude

hate to hear the report, hope you get it all smoothed out
Posted By: las Re: Well that was fun! - 05/10/20
Ladders. Otta be a law against them.

Or at least against me using them. You guys are on your own.

Good luck 1234.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Well that was fun! - 05/10/20
Spent 15 years on ladders, they’ll kick your ass.

lol, had them blow down and be stranded on a roof, one time, I had no cell phone, no Mtn Dew , gawd that was a mfer

Had to yell at cars for help. crazy laugh

Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: Well that was fun! - 05/10/20
Geeze Paul, sorry to hear you're banged up. I pled with your wife not to knock the ladder out from under you. Praying for a speedy recovery...
Posted By: 280shooter Re: Well that was fun! - 05/10/20
My uncle had heck fusion in November. He wishes he had done it sooner ad has recovered very well at 84. Good luck. Put the ladder on Craigslist.
Posted By: jaguartx Re: Well that was fun! - 05/10/20
Scarey. Good you found the stenosis before an accident fixed you good, Paul.
Posted By: hanco Re: Well that was fun! - 05/10/20
Been on ladders all my life hanging pipe. It’s a wonder I haven’t jacked myself up too.

Take care, best of luck to you.
Posted By: AJ300MAG Re: Well that was fun! - 05/10/20
Originally Posted by las
Ladders. Otta be a law against them.

Or at least against me using them. You guys are on your own.

Good luck 1234.

Don't even go there. Had a guy at work step off of a ladder wrong and twist his ankle. Our brilliant maintenance superintendent pulled all ladders off of the plant floor. How da fūck are you supposed to work in a foundry without using ladders...
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Well that was fun! - 05/10/20
Originally Posted by 12344mag
Wednesday evening I was coming down off a ladder and my foot slipped on the rung went inside the ladder and when I grabbed the ladder to try to keep upright the leg on the ladder snapped, fun ride and it fugged me up pretty good.

When I landed of course it was on my head........I was completely paralyzed for a few minutes including breathing. Slowly things came back and I was able to call out to the next door neighbor for help.

Severe concussion, 6 stitches in my noggin and a bruised inner spinal cord. The reason for the bruised spinal cord is evidently I have a bad case of Spinal Stenosis in C3,4 & 5. Doc says it needs to be taken care of immediately as another jolt to it like this and in will be lights out permanently or I'll be paralyzed.

Fun stuff.......

Dammit, Man! frown

You gotta get well so you can shoot some hogs with me!
Posted By: gunzo Re: Well that was fun! - 05/10/20
Hang in there! Get well soon.
Posted By: Partsman Re: Well that was fun! - 05/10/20
Sorry to hear of your misfortune, not good with heights, shaky on a ladder, more so now that I am in my mid 60s
Posted By: kennyd Re: Well that was fun! - 05/10/20
Had a stepladder sitting in a slight slope. Did well until i needed to put some muscle in to a screw drill. Only the 4th step up but sure did a clumsy job of it. Wife yelled at me. Worst part was the gutter guy was coming so i had to finish. Didnt notice the broken brace so did it again. Still have a knot on my leg after 9 months. Wife really yelled second time.
Note there are 2 posts, get well and take care.
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: Well that was fun! - 05/10/20
Get well soon.
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: Well that was fun! - 05/10/20
I'm just throwing this out there...

Wasn't there another member here that fell off his ladder?

What happened to that guy? whistle

laugh
Posted By: Fireball2 Re: Well that was fun! - 05/10/20
Be well Paul.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Well that was fun! - 05/10/20
Hope you heal up quick.

Them ladders=work =bad news. grin
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Well that was fun! - 05/10/20
Paul,
Sorry to hear about your crash and burn...I’ve lost a ladder only once that slipped out from under me on a freshly restained deck as I was painting out a trim peak. I fell 18’ft landing vertical on top of the ladder. Broke my sexy face!

Later, with an X-ray the doc found I had cracked and chipped off a piece of my vertebra. I have a floater piece of bone that’s now encapsulated in scar tissue. It still causes me a lot of lower back pain.

After I fell, I was so Fûck’n pissed, that I got up, snatched up the 32’ft 350lbs rated ladder and launched it like a javelin into the yard. I had white paint all over my face and new deck...I spent 40 minutes rinsing off the deck holding my face.

I called the homeowner and told her I had taken a spill. She drove over to the house just as I was finished washing paint off the deck. She looked at me face and said, “JFC, can I drive you to the hospital”? Nah, I can make it. She then asked if I was gonna sue her”?

I said “I won’t if you have dinner with me after I’m done painting your house”.....I married her 6 years later.

Get well soon...😎
Posted By: Beaver10 Re: Well that was fun! - 05/10/20
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

laugh

I lived...Got my face put back together, and still climb high ladders. Now, if my ladder legs are on a surface that might cause a leg to kick out, I will secure a board behind the legs or a putty knife into a seams of the deck.

For novice ladder climbers...Use a ladder weight rated for your fat asses and 2 don’t set a ladder too far away from whatever you’re going to climb up on. The more you move the legs away from a wall, the weaker you’re making the ladder in the middle - I’m speaking about extension ladders, obviously.

😎
Posted By: g5m Re: Well that was fun! - 05/10/20
Wow! I'm sorry to hear about these accidents. Ladders are no laughing matter Best wishes on the recoveries!
Posted By: Cariboujack Re: Well that was fun! - 05/10/20
Dad-gum Paul. I'd think you'd know better to get on a ladder. My ceiling is only 12' high and I won't even get on a ladder to change light bulbs. I'd rather pay someone young to do that. I'm pushing 70 real hard, and I couldn't take any falls at all at this point. Prayers for a full recovery and I'm glad you are ok. I've heard some horrible stories of people falling off ladders. Yours sounds plenty bad enough. Take care of yourself.

laugh

No Pot and no PTSD here................Jack ass!
Posted By: smokepole Re: Well that was fun! - 05/10/20

I'm gonna borrow that one. Instead of saying "he's one brick shy of a full load," it'll be "he fell off his ladder." grin
Posted By: ERK Re: Well that was fun! - 05/10/20
Sorry to hear that but your still kicking. Hate damn ladders. I can sit on top of an oil derrick just to watch the sunrise but ladders suck. Hope the neck job goes good. Ed k
Originally Posted by Beaver10
I said “I won’t if you have dinner with me after I’m done painting your house”.....I married her 6 years later.

Get well soon...😎

Ya got me bro, you'll do a hellofa lot more than I would for a date............. wink
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Well that was fun! - 05/11/20
I just got to clicking on this.

Heal fast Paul, and may Our Lord heal you.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Well that was fun! - 05/11/20
Dang! Hate to hear that! Hope you heal quickly and get well soon Buddy!
Posted By: duck911 Re: Well that was fun! - 05/11/20
Glad you survived the fall!!!

My wife had spinal stenosis in C3/C4. For a month we were told it was MS. Numb extremities, lack of balance, all kinds of stuff.

Finally, MRI showed the big bulge. Surgery 2 days later. she was walking the next day, better than new in no time.

The fall might have saved your life......

Good luck!
Posted By: Oldman03 Re: Well that was fun! - 05/11/20
Dang Paul! Haven't you learned that us 'old folks' gotta be careful?

Sorry to hear about all the injuries and hope you get well soon. I never heard of the spinal stuff, but if they can fix it, 'get r done'.
Posted By: Redneck Re: Well that was fun! - 05/11/20
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
Ditto - to all of it... smile
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Well that was fun! - 05/11/20
Ah, ladders. I'm 71 and a former roofer. I've had a foot slip on occasion but I've always been able to recover before I fell. It can happen so fast that you're on the way down before you know you slipped. What causes most falls, especially with steel roofs, is not tying off the ladder to keep it from sliding sideways. It takes some creativity sometimes to find something to tie it off to.
Posted By: Raeford Re: Well that was fun! - 05/11/20
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by 43Shooter
Ditto - to all of it... smile

Posted By: kingston Re: Well that was fun! - 05/12/20
Oh my God Paul. I’m glad you’re still walking. Please let me know if you need anything.
Posted By: NVhntr Re: Well that was fun! - 05/12/20
I've spent plenty of time on ladders and been jacked up a couple times.
Hope your recovery goes well.
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Well that was fun! - 05/12/20
Best wishes for a speedy recovery...scary....I don’t like working on ladders
Posted By: Jeffrey Re: Well that was fun! - 05/12/20
Good thing there wasn’t a pit bull nearby to finish you off. Good luck and hope you have a speedy recovery.
Posted By: mark shubert Re: Well that was fun! - 05/12/20
Aaahhhh, yes - memories!
As an electrician and building contractor, I spent ~ 25 years on ladders, walking walls up to 3 stories high, climbing power poles, and working windmills for even more years.
As I near 70, and have neuropathy, I've become "uncertain" at altitude, anymore.
Height is a young man's game.
Posted By: watch4bear Re: Well that was fun! - 05/12/20
Dood. ladders suck.
Posted By: local_dirt Re: Well that was fun! - 05/12/20
Geez, Paul. Hope you get straightened out soon, brother. Damn.
Posted By: White_Bear Re: Well that was fun! - 05/12/20
We don't bounce as well as we get older.
I took a spill last fall sometime. My old shop is 14' and the new part is 18' so there is an elevation change on the ceiling. That looked like a great place to hang my USA and Trump flags so I propped the ladder up and took off with flags and magnets in hand. Just as my head was at 16'-17' I heard a click and I was on the concrete floor. I'm not sure what happened. I'm anal to a fault about safety and swept the floor clean before my attempt. Split my chin open pretty good and rung my bell. I had a friend stop by later that evening and he said I wasn't making and sense while talking to him. After a few days my arms were black and blue from my elbows to my knuckles. 240# didn't bounce well.
I jump in my homemade PPC without hesitation but still get spooky on ladders. I've worked heights my entire adult life but those days are dwindling.

I'm glad you sorta walked away to.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Well that was fun! - 05/12/20
Sorry to hear that...ladders suck. My Dr said if I ho near one again he's firing me as a patient. Then I fell off of a 5 gallon bucket and onto the unfinished and uncovered stairs. He said what the hell were you doing standing on a bucket. I said avoiding ladders.

Bb
Posted By: cra1948 Re: Well that was fun! - 05/13/20
Good friend of mine has been a builder all his adult life. He has gone of a few roofs and suffered no serious injury. He said the trick is, once you know you're going, you can't do anything about it so just relax and think good thoughts.
Posted By: efw Re: Well that was fun! - 05/13/20
Dang Paul sorry to hear this you’ve been run through the ringer man.

On the upside you can come to the get together high in a walker and we can make fun of you again. That’ll be nice.

In all seriousness I hope ya heal up and we get through this nonsense with the governess so you can get in for that surgery soon!
Posted By: Rooster7 Re: Well that was fun! - 05/13/20
Holy crap! This could have been way worse.

Glad you're not dead!
Posted By: hatari Re: Well that was fun! - 05/13/20

Fun stuff.......

Ouch!

Best wishes for successful surgery and a speedy recovery.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: Well that was fun! - 05/13/20
Originally Posted by efw
Dang Paul sorry to hear this you’ve been run through the ringer man.

On the upside you can come to the get together high in a walker and we can make fun of you again. That’ll be nice.

In all seriousness I hope ya heal up and we get through this nonsense with the governess so you can get in for that surgery soon!

Better have it soon, Surgery is scheduled for next week Thursday!

Awe hell you can even find something to make fun of me if I'm sober, if you can't you ain't paying attention.............
Posted By: colorado bob Re: Well that was fun! - 05/13/20
My brother fell off a step ladder while cleaning leaves from the gutter. Spiral & compound fracture in his right leg. Over 7 screws & pins putting it back together. Walks with a limp & knows when a storm is coming. Good luck on your surgery.
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: Well that was fun! - 05/13/20
Good God! The bad news, badly injured.
The good news, still alive and not paralyzed.

Hang in there I hope the surgery turns out well. I have been up and down ladders for years it is always dangerous.
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
Sorry to hear that...ladders suck. My Dr said if I ho near one again he's firing me as a patient. Then I fell off of a 5 gallon bucket and onto the unfinished and uncovered stairs. He said what the hell were you doing standing on a bucket. I said avoiding ladders.

Bb

LMAO!!
Posted By: sse Re: Well that was fun! - 05/13/20
i dont like latters
Posted By: saddlering Re: Well that was fun! - 05/13/20
Sorry to just read this, Hoping for the Best for you! Iv got to get on a ladder in a few weeks here at the house! not suposed to, but I still do, just go real slow now days!
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Well that was fun! - 05/13/20

]
This!

You didn’t think I would give you any slack did you Toby?

Well! This is too bad Toby, get well, if there any thing you need just call ! I can cross the river in the night.
Posted By: johnw Re: Well that was fun! - 05/13/20
Luck to you...

My doc assures me I have nothing to damage above the shoulders...
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Well that was fun! - 05/13/20
Don’t forget Toby, “We’re all in this together!”
Posted By: m_stevenson Re: Well that was fun! - 05/13/20
How you feeling today Paul?

Is your concussion bad enough that you’re going to sound like JeffO?

Oops I forgot. You have a concussion, not a lobotomy.
Heal fast or heal slow. Just heal up fine.
Originally Posted by m_stevenson
How you feeling today Paul?

Is your concussion bad enough that you’re going to sound like JeffO?

Oops I forgot. You have a concussion, not a lobotomy.
Heal fast or heal slow. Just heal up fine.

No PTSD Bro!!
Originally Posted by Whelenman

[Linked Image from external-content.duckduckgo.com]
Posted By: Blu_Cs Re: Well that was fun! - 05/13/20
That's tough! I wish you a speedy recovery!
Posted By: m_stevenson Re: Well that was fun! - 05/13/20
Originally Posted by Whelenman

[Linked Image from external-content.duckduckgo.com]

Dat’s some funny chit there bro. I’m surprised you didn’t blame Boss for your fall. It’s the perfect opportunity
Posted By: OutlawPatriot Re: Well that was fun! - 05/13/20
If you had been wearing your mask, you would have been perfectly safe wink
Posted By: Whelenman Re: Well that was fun! - 05/14/20
How it the day treating you today, Toby?
Posted By: Old Ornery Re: Well that was fun! - 05/14/20
Oh my goodness gracious, that’s really awful luck. Best wishes on your operation.
© 24hourcampfire