Home
Posted By: Birdwatcher Old guys in good shape? - 05/13/20
Here’s a role model......

I’m thinking too of an elderly Jack La Lanne swimming across a lake in Japan, rope in his mouth and pulling a rowboat.

How did these guys do it?
Posted By: hanco Re: Old guys in good shape? - 05/13/20
They work at it. Have you seen Cher?
Posted By: benchman Re: Old guys in good shape? - 05/13/20
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

I’m thinking too of an elderly Jack La Lanne swimming across a lake in Japan, rope in his mouth and pulling a rowboat.

Jack Palance wasn't a pimple on LaLanes ass, physically. LaLane was in another league, from most human beings.
Posted By: ol_mike Re: Old guys in good shape? - 05/13/20
Good stuff .

Sad at the shape people are in these days especially young people around here .
Originally Posted by benchman

Jack Palance wasn't a pimple on LaLanes ass, physically. LaLane was in another league, from most human beings.

He really was. He was a freak of nature.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Old guys in good shape? - 05/13/20
Not this over aged farm boy.
Posted By: 19352012 Re: Old guys in good shape? - 05/13/20
Better living through chemistry
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Old guys in good shape? - 05/13/20
My parts do not work as well as they used to. There is also considerable pain in several areas. I have learned my linitations. Food intake reduced as well as alcohol intake.

There are things I should just not do!!! And for the things that must be done, I just take my time.

Not really all that old, just wore out.
Posted By: kenjs1 Re: Old guys in good shape? - 05/13/20
Thought I was.

Picked up some weights a bit yesterday., Learned I ain't. 57 here. Can still do fifty push ups but counting on that as my marker needs serious rethinking.

When you are young and worked out daily all was great, lean, and cholesterol fine etc....you start skipping workouts bet periodically recharge on them without much lag.

Those intermittent periods of inactivity get longer but ....you can still do some things when you hit the weights again.

Then you count the days in the intervals of inactivity and they don't alarm you- merely annoy you a bit and you chastise yourself. Maybe workout a few days.

Then...your old warm up becomes your new work out.

Then you get quarantined but liquor stores stay open.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Old guys in good shape? - 05/13/20

Much starts at conception... some are more blessed genetically than others and some are cursed.
Posted By: hanco Re: Old guys in good shape? - 05/13/20
I remember watching Jack LaLane when I was a little boy.
Posted By: efw Re: Old guys in good shape? - 05/13/20
I keep reminding myself I’m in good shape.

Round is a shape...
Posted By: Etoh Re: Old guys in good shape? - 05/13/20
Originally Posted by 19352012

Not near enough said in this area.

Most of the "supplements" available for outstanding old peoples youth look are not affordable. Unless you are a Hollywood type or at least in the six figure category.

Growth Hormone shots $1000 a month
Hormone replacement creams, pills, etc. from $200 to $600 a month.
Botox shots for cosmetic contour $100 - $200 a month

this isn't considering the foods, and nutritional supplements and in a lot of cases the professional training counseling.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Old guys in good shape? - 05/13/20
Adrenochrome
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Old guys in good shape? - 05/13/20
Ha!

Is this not a reasonable place to park?
Posted By: byron Re: Old guys in good shape? - 05/13/20
It does help to be born with good genes and I believe I was, but you still have to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

I was raised working in a ice plant, so I was at one time anyway, extremely fit. Also ran, in school and afterwords.
Any of my fellow oldtimers remember Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini. Yeah! That kind of fit. He too worked in a ice house.

Now at 64 years young and retired, I ride a trainer and cross country ski in the winter, Ride bikes (Mountain bike and road bike) in
the summer, and stretch a lot (Don't be afraid to let your wife teach you a little yoga) Work to keep our little horse farm in shape, and
still start and train horses.

Byron
Posted By: Dutch Re: Old guys in good shape? - 05/13/20
I'm doing better at 55 than I was at 45. Though I just told the wife that after doing a 14 hr day on the farm, I really do not want to do another one the day after. Diet (and associated weight) has a huge influence on not only stamina and strength, it has made the pains and aches so much less, and the recovery times so much faster. Keep the weight off, keep the body fed properly, keep the stress under control, and keep moving. But the bottom line is, carbs are the devil.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Old guys in good shape? - 05/13/20
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
My parts do not work as well as they used to. There is also considerable pain in several areas. I have learned my linitations. Food intake reduced as well as alcohol intake.

There are things I should just not do!!! And for the things that must be done, I just take my time.

It ain’t the years, it’s the miles!
Originally Posted by Dutch
I'm doing better at 55 than I was at 45. Though I just told the wife that after doing a 14 hr day on the farm, I really do not want to do another one the day after. Diet (and associated weight) has a huge influence on not only stamina and strength, it has made the pains and aches so much less, and the recovery times so much faster. Keep the weight off, keep the body fed properly, keep the stress under control, and keep moving. But the bottom line is, carbs are the devil.

Insulin resistance is problem,, Snacking is the devil. everything you eat stimulates insulin production.
Originally Posted by byron
It does help to be born with good genes and I believe I was, but you still have to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

I was raised working in a ice plant, so I was at one time anyway, extremely fit. Also ran, in school and afterwords.
Any of my fellow oldtimers remember Ray "Boom Boom" Mancini. Yeah! That kind of fit. He too worked in a ice house.

Now at 64 years young and retired, I ride a trainer and cross country ski in the winter, Ride bikes (Mountain bike and road bike) in
the summer, and stretch a lot (Don't be afraid to let your wife teach you a little yoga) Work to keep our little horse farm in shape, and

Byron

Good post Byron. I too think I got some pretty good genes. I am genetically thin. I worked for any muscle I have. I have always been active. At 57 with 5 shoulder surgeries and now having a titanium ball with NO socket, makes upper body workouts a challenge, but I ain't quitting yet.
Posted By: ironbender Re: Old guys in good shape? - 05/13/20
Then...your old warm up becomes your new work out.

Awful, terrible, truth!
Posted By: 5sdad Re: Old guys in good shape? - 05/13/20

I creak, moan, groan, and bitch, but consider myself lucky to be in good enough shape to get up and do most things (poorly, but that has nothing to do with age).

I don't know this to be true, and I do know there are varying schools of thought, but I don't think carbs are the devil. I think they can be to some people. My carb intake is fairly high. My blood numbers, BP, heart rate, fitness and appearance are good.

Byron

While good genes may set the "mould/mold". there are many drugs today that change genetic expression, especially on the RNA side. Hormones, any of the anti-immune type drugs, for arthritis, anti-cancer etc. fit into this category.
Posted By: GeoW Re: Old guys in good shape? - 05/13/20
Day to day..
Originally Posted by Etoh

Insulin resistance is problem,, Snacking is the devil. everything you eat stimulates insulin production.

I know better than to argue with you, but I will say that blood sugar swings (carb fueled) are a big driver in the desire to snack. Chicken, egg?
Posted By: Stickfight Re: Old guys in good shape? - 05/13/20

Where are you getting these figures?

HGH has a pretty narrow application when it comes to fitness. It does virtually nothing for endurance athletes, and very little for strength sports that isn’t done better by something else. For power lifters and bodybuilders who want muscle mass at any cost, it has some uses. Or the extreme positions in football like linemen.

Regardless 100 iu of human grade HGH can be had for $250. A pretty high mass building dose is ~3 iu per day, so $250 a month.

Injectable T is even lower. A 10ml vial of Sustanon 500 is around $120. 500mg / week is a big dose, which works out to about $50 / month.

I’ve no idea what Botox costs.
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: Old guys in good shape? - 05/13/20
As long as the hydraulics work...
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: Old guys in good shape? - 05/13/20
As long as the hydraulics work...
Originally Posted by Stickfight

Where are you getting these figures?

HGH has a pretty narrow application when it comes to fitness. It does virtually nothing for endurance athletes, and very little for strength sports that isn’t done better by something else. For power lifters and bodybuilders who want muscle mass at any cost, it has some uses. Or the extreme positions in football like linemen.

Regardless 100 iu of human grade HGH can be had for $250. A pretty high mass building dose is ~3 iu per day, so $250 a month.

Injectable T is even lower. A 10ml vial of Sustanon 500 is around $120. 500mg / week is a big dose, which works out to about $50 / month.

I’ve no idea what Botox costs.

from a medical point of view the drug testing knowledge the body builders have given to the world, by experimenting on their own bodies, without the need to go thru the regular FDA protocols, is worth its weight (pun intended) in gold.

I'm talking about the benefits from these drugs that can be used by anyone who can afford it thru their local MD'

a testosterone/progesterone/estrogen cream for a female for a month can run around $120 , and you only thought this stuff was for males.

Not talking about the shet body builders use, talking top grade prescription pharmaceuticals.

your talking growth hormone releasing factor, Sermoralin, not Novartis injectable.
Posted By: BOWSINGER Re: Old guys in good shape? - 05/13/20
Originally Posted by ironbender

You got that right. But now I got both years and miles.

I know better than to argue with you, but I will say that blood sugar swings (carb fueled) are a big driver in the desire to snack. Chicken, egg?

the answer to the chicken/egg question is called parthenogenesis

the answer the to the hunger is a hormone Ghrelin
Posted By: MAC Re: Old guys in good shape? - 05/13/20
I spent 25 years in the military and was 50 years old when I retired. On my last PFT 2 months before retiring I did 88 pushups in 2 minutes, 110 situps in 2 minutes and did a 1.5 mile run in 9:18 and that was with 2 scews and a pin in my right ankle. That was better than a lot of the younger guys. When I retired from active duty I began teaching high school. Until this COVID mess hit I was in the gym every afternoon and doing a 5 mile walk every day. I still do the walk until I can get back in the gym. I am 57 right now and weigh within 12 lbs of what I weighed when I graduated from high school in 1980. Growing old is something you have no control over but growing fat and out of shape you can control. The question is whether you want to or not.
your talking growth hormone releasing factor, Sermoralin, not Novartis injectable.

No, I don’t mean Sermorelin, I mean the actual HGH Somatropin. It isn’t produced by Novartis but I don’t see how that is relevant.

People enjoy paying doctors for things they can do themselves I’m sure, but they choose to do that.
Yes sir! It may be hard not to sometimes, but quitting is a sure fire way to an early grave!
Posted By: lastround Re: Old guys in good shape? - 05/13/20

I’m 76, and not as good as I once was.............hell, I’m not even as good once as I once was!
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

I don't know this to be true, and I do know there are varying schools of thought, but I don't think carbs are the devil. I think they can be to some people. My carb intake is fairly high. My blood numbers, BP, heart rate, fitness and appearance are good.

I believe it depends where the carbs come from. We here at home have cut back on breads, and pasta's and such, and sugar. Carbs from vegetables are good IMHO, and again IMHO you need some carbs and calories for energy. I live by the rule of only consuming the calories I need. I used to do so to the point of starving myself, but that is not good, so any more I really just try to pace myself a little better. Many days I tend to graze all day rather than eat a big meal.
Posted By: comerade Re: Old guys in good shape? - 05/13/20
What is old anyway?
I work at it, get cardio everyday, get on aleast one colt everyday and run it thru the paces. I can still shoe a couple a day at 62. Pretty creaky in the morning.

Byron

While good genes may set the "mould/mold". there are many drugs today that change genetic expression, especially on the RNA side. Hormones, any of the anti-immune type drugs, for arthritis, anti-cancer etc. fit into this category.

All very true from what I've read, but my goal is to not lay around on my butt or eat myself into poor health so that I have to rely on drugs to live the life I desire. I hope I succeed smile
I was a fanatic into my late twenties, then I discovered motorcycles 🙄

Picked it up again age 56, when I started preparing to bicycle to New York. Hard to call that training, bicycles are a pretty gentle form of exercise, basically all I did was ride for longer and longer amounts of time with the Bike weighed down with about 50 pounds of gear.

Since then I’ve tried to use bicycles as a substitute for a vehicle where possible, keeps me in shape and it’s not near as boring as other forms of exercise. Bicycling is a godsend but it’s a pretty limited form of exercise, which is why it’s pretty easy to get good at it.

It really helped when they opened up a gym a few miles away that I could incorporate on a route to work in the morning.

One thing I had been neglecting though was hiking, and by that I mean traversing steep and broken terrain. Since this lock down I’ve been incorporating a couple hours of that a few days a week. A pretty good workout for back, knees, shins and ankles. And also neglected foot-eye coordination, when I started I was actually using a staff to help on the downhill parts, no longer needed.

Plus there’s a part I have to negotiate, up and down, clambering on hands and knees, also a forgotten skill.

I’d guess 90% of it is keeping active. I have no desire for supplements unless maybe glucosamine, don’t really care what my T is. I do have a sense that, when ya get into your 60’s, once it’s gone it ain’t coming back. Trying to slow that rate of loss here.
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Old guys in good shape? - 05/13/20
Originally Posted by 19352012

Not near enough said in this area.

Most of the "supplements" available for outstanding old peoples youth look are not affordable. Unless you are a Hollywood type or at least in the six figure category.

Botox shots for cosmetic contour $100 - $200 a month

this isn't considering the foods, and nutritional supplements and in a lot of cases the professional training counseling.

HGH...human growth hormone....its a magic fountain of youth here. I hit the local gym 4x per week along with my wife. You see 65-75 year old guys built like Tarzan, tearing it up on the weights and treadmills like they were 25-30 years old. It's expensive here...about $1500 a month prescribed by a doc. Got a gym buddy that can almost keep up with me on the weights. Almost...but hes 87 years old. Crazy.
I weigh less than i did in high school.

Not by choice i can tell you.

Just don't have the muscles that i did back then,much less two years ago.

Waiting for a few weeks before i can start doing stuff to try to get some back.

After this i still won't be able to run for nothing.
Posted By: benchman Re: Old guys in good shape? - 05/13/20
I think aside from good genes, which matter more than anything else, it's prolonged bad habits. Eating too much, or too little, too much alcohol, smoking, etc. By the time you're in your 60's, a lot of people have at least 40 years of abuse. I have found that limit strength, particularly in large muscles, doesn't suffer as much as endurance, recovery, small muscle control/strength and balance. As a strength competitor into my late 50's, I had occasion to keep track of stuff. At 65, I do notice deterioration. Graduated from HS at 127 pounds, with a 275 raw bench. Started competing again at 44. 137 pounds, 305 bench. 46, I was 148 pounds, 325 raw bench, 385 geared. 48, saw 165 pounds, 360 raw, 445 geared. 50, was where I made the most gains. 188 pounds, 425 raw, 700 geared. 55, 171 pounds, 355 raw, 520 geared. 58, 177 pounds, 340 raw, 530 geared. I didn't compete much raw, actually, and didn't work on it much. Pre Covid, (haven't worked out in a month) 65 years old, 176 pounds, 345 raw, 535 geared. Largely living on technique, now. I'm definitely not as strong as i used to be.
Posted By: las Re: Old guys in good shape? - 05/13/20
Originally Posted by ironbender

Yeah, 16 miles per day with a 50 lb pack used to be "fun".

16 miles round trip /overnight to Crescent Lake cabin (with a mere 30 lbs, for a mere $75 USFScabin fee) the last two days, on top of that float trip last week has me thinking......

I think my wife doesn't want me aging anymore..... smile
Speaking of running, how many of us could run for help or TO help? Seems a basic sort of ability to try and keep. Doesn’t have to be a mile, prob’ly being able to run just 400 yards would be useful.

Years ago in New Mexico when he was still in high school my son’s friend had a medical emergency at 10,000 ft., I needed to hustle back to camp, not a good feeling to realize I couldn’t.
Posted By: RicG Re: Old guys in good shape? - 05/13/20
The only two things that work right on me are:
1). My TV remote finger
2). My Bourbon drinking hand.

Other than that, I'm SOL.
Originally Posted by Godogs57
HGH...human growth hormone....its a magic fountain of youth here.

You are more likely seeing the benefits of Testosterone than HGH. Even TRT levels of Test make big differences in ability to build muscle, energy, endurance, etc.

Regardless, all of the “male health” clinics that have sprung up in the last few years are charging a premium for putting people on gear that typical doctors won’t. No different from the pain clinics.

By FAR the best thing an average person can do as they age is STRETCH! Simple to do, takes only a few minutes and makes massive differences in evreything from strength, balance and endurance.
Originally Posted by Bob_H_in_NH
STRETCH!

Yoga has unfortunately gotten an effeminate reputation but it is excellent for that.
Posted By: comerade Re: Old guys in good shape? - 05/13/20
I have made gobs of bad choices but the good ones about staying tough and fit- so glad about. I realized when I was young I couldn't smoke or chew and climb mountains, bad horses etc.
Broke a pile of bones, many trips to Old Sawbone's and patched up.
Of course I hurt now with arthritis, but still pretty much doing the same thing.
Covid might save lives if it keeps people out of fast food joints and the bastard deep fryer.
A touch of xxx whiskey does loosen a guy up sometimes
Posted By: 284LUVR Re: Old guys in good shape? - 05/13/20

Wise words, Bob.

Three strokes have really messed up my ability to enjoy hunting the way I would like to so I screwed a drive-in carhop tray to the door of my Jeep. Makes an excellent rest for the ol' Model 70. Bang flop if I do my part.

Haven't seen any pretty girls on roller skates tho' . laugh
Posted By: Heym06 Re: Old guys in good shape? - 05/13/20
I'm not in the shape I would like to be! I'm still lean and walk daily! I carry a comfortable pack with 40# in it! Running is out of the question, run a mile and my knee begins to ache. Sometimes the ache lasts for a couple days! I crushed the knee and it pushed the knee cap off, broke bones a created a muscle hernia, on the front of my lower leg! When I was 28 years old, 41 years ago. I never liked the weight lifting, never cared for the bulk! Swimming and endurance work outs for me! This morning I had five miles in before breakfast, and will do another couple miles in the evening, unless i start a project around the house! I graduated high school at 148# and weighted 162# yesterday. Eat good keep moving and keep the fluids coming! I stay away from any supplements, such as listed above. Grazing instead of large meals would help most people I'm aquainted with , no matter the age. Everyone has their own outlook this is mine!
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: Old guys in good shape? - 05/13/20
Originally Posted by 284LUVR

Wise words, Bob.

Three strokes have really messed up my ability to enjoy hunting the way I would like to so I screwed a drive-in carhop tray to the door of my Jeep. Makes an excellent rest for the ol' Model 70. Bang flop if I do my part.

Haven't seen any pretty girls on roller skates tho' . laugh

Just keep on hunting!!!!! 😉
Originally Posted by Stickfight

No, I don’t mean Sermorelin, I mean the actual HGH Somatropin. It isn’t produced by Novartis but I don’t see how that is relevant.

People enjoy paying doctors for things they can do themselves I’m sure, but they choose to do that.

Novartis/Sandoz holds the patent,, if your getting those kind of prices it shet out of China with no manufacturing genealogy. You don't see how its relevant because your not in the medical business.

Im talking about improving the health and quality of life for men and woman, andropause and menopause, along with other hormone deficiency, not just looking good at the gym.

If you want to start at the top, start with thyroid, all lab stats will give you levels for your age group, which is pure horse sheet, you want the levels of a 30 year old. apples to all hormones.

testosterone is best in the uncongugated , non-injectable and non time release. oral route is destroyed by first pass liver degradation and bio-available creams are better.
it reduces insulin resistance and is anti-stress. and depending on the amounts and the person, the estrogenic effects of conversion can be modified by aromatase inhibitors. Another advantage to T therapy is decreased bone fragility.

But by far and away the greatest advantage to T therapy is its conversion to estradiol which is cardioprotective and reduces cholesterol and the lipids across the board.

So if your one of those folks who think when its gone it doesn't come back, please remember this when you are on that operating table, wondering if its only going to be a stent or a bypass. you have only yourself to blame.
Better living through chemistry....

starts with remembering that food is composed of chemicals. Mind you, I know absolutely nothing about the details of the chemistry (save perhaps that you could use something like 17-alpha methyltestosterone to get testosterone past the stomach, and it's cheap), but I do know that the body reacts to food, to activities, to stress, and that many of the changes we ascribe to age are as much a consequence of age related changes in diet, behavior and environment than the aging process itself.
not getting absorbed is not the problem. (past the stomach) it goes through the metabolic route in the liver before the drug target areas. The synthetic androbolics are not used in hormone replacement therapy because of this and toxicology problems

in the same manner, its the same for progesterone in women, medroxyprogesterone, causes ovarian cancer. (Provera)

the chemical groups were added to the basic molecule to take it longer to be metabolized, thus giving it a longer biological half life.,, and most importantly , to make it patentable.

yes you are correct--- consequence of are related changes in diet, behavior and environment than the aging process . which are caused by reductions in hormone levels. (both diet and behavior) are a result-- of not a cause of.
But by far and away the greatest advantage to T therapy is its conversion to estradiol which is cardioprotective and reduces cholesterol and the lipids across the board.

So if your one of those folks who think when its gone it doesn't come back, please remember this when you are on that operating table, wondering if its only going to be a stent or a bypass. you have only yourself to blame.

So if I don’t take testosterone I’m gonna croak from a heart attack.

I guess I’m OK with that.

Meanwhile I’ll flog myself, trying to keep what I got the old-fashioned way. I never thought I was gonna live forever.
© 24hourcampfire