Home
Posted By: bluefish 2017 Toyota Tacoma - 05/14/20
I am looking at one with a crew cab and.6.foot box with 55k miles. One previous owner, leased. These vehicles seem to have a loyal ownership and appear to be good, dependable vehicles. Drove it yesterday and drove as expected. Dealer ok with my mechanic offering a second opinion of value.

Thought on these vehicles?
I've never owned one but you never hear a bad word about them. I think Deflave drives one.
Posted By: TOPCATHR Re: 2017 Toyota Tacoma - 05/14/20
I have had 5 tacomas and never had anything break only routine maintenance, There is a reason they have such crazy hi resale value.
Posted By: Lucas1 Re: 2017 Toyota Tacoma - 05/14/20
If you've got short legs they're good to go. If you have longer legs your knees are going to be up in the air.
Posted By: Magnum_Bob Re: 2017 Toyota Tacoma - 05/14/20
What do they want,full retail of a 2020?
Great reliable vehicles......But .....My god they are Hideous looking...Got to be the ugliest truck ever built and the most uncomfortable......
Posted By: BlueDuck Re: 2017 Toyota Tacoma - 05/14/20
I have a 2011 Tacoma 4x4. 120,000 miles. Never had a problem with it. I have had several over the years. Usually put about 200,000 miles on them and never had a problem or repair bill with any of them.
Posted By: Pat85 Re: 2017 Toyota Tacoma - 05/14/20
Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob

Wouldn't be surprised because nuts will happily pay it.
Posted By: PaulBarnard Re: 2017 Toyota Tacoma - 05/14/20
They are durable and reliable in general. Very unrefined. Fuel economy isn't good.
Posted By: Rickshaw Re: 2017 Toyota Tacoma - 05/14/20
I bought a 2017 that had been leased for a year. It's the base sr with 2.7 4 banger. Get about 20-22 mpg. Stiff suspension. Good in snow with 4wd. I am very well pleased. My 20 year old dodge ram was no longer dependable. This one is for now.
Posted By: Old Ornery Re: 2017 Toyota Tacoma - 05/14/20
I talked to a contractor who said his went 975,000 miles before he sold it without any major repairs. He said the person that bought it is using it and no major problems yet with it.
When I bought my 2016 F-150 in the end of Oct 2016 the Ford dealer had a used Tundra 2013 not real fancy with 40k on it,some scratches in the paint. I test drove it and it was fine but I made the comment that it was problematic that they wanted 32k for it with no warrantee. THE SALESMAN laughed and showed me the ford I bought for 32,500 brand new and full warrantee. MB
Posted By: kenacp Re: 2017 Toyota Tacoma - 05/14/20
Have a 2017 SBDC sport with 50k miles. No issues. Average 23mpg, 6cyl auto. Only fault is pulling a trailer....
Posted By: Terryk Re: 2017 Toyota Tacoma - 05/14/20
I have a 4Runner, but miss having a truck around. Soon as I sell my corvette I'll have room for a truck.
I loved my old first gen Tundra, and it was about the same size as a newer Tacoma. So I like the idea of a Tacoma, but I read the seats suck for comfort and bad backs, and the transmission on the newer generations constantly searches. So I have been ogling Tundras. I really think it is tossing money away getting a truck, so the high price of used Toyotas has me stuck on the fence.
Posted By: handwerk Re: 2017 Toyota Tacoma - 05/14/20
I've been very happy with my 2010 DCLB
Posted By: tikkanut Re: 2017 Toyota Tacoma - 05/14/20

never had a 3rd Gen......'16+

Resale is high......sellers market....sold an '05 DC SB w/184K TURD auto for $15300 in January

3rd Gen has newer 3.5L...most complaints are the auto tranny searching for gears

Pic is my '14 DC SB with 6 sp manual...AT's are most common

If you're towing...either stick or auto ain't got much balls

Lurk over at Tacoma World...lots of info there

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: KFWA Re: 2017 Toyota Tacoma - 05/14/20
Because of the resale value of Tacomas, I've been trying to like the GMC Canyon or Chevy Colorado

but there is no shortage of 15 year old "parts" trucks out on craigslist. You see a few 200K mile ones but IMO, just as many that will never make it that far.

I think if I stumbled on a low mileage 4 wheel dr 5 cylinder (do they even make the 5 cylinder anymore?) for sub $6K money I"d consider it thinking that a couple of repair bills would still be thousands cheaper than a comparable Tacoma, but I haven't seen one yet.

Any decent 4wd extended or crew cab truck is going to fetch big money, regardless of brand
Posted By: 2legit2quit Re: 2017 Toyota Tacoma - 05/14/20
Good lil trucks have had an 86, 87, 99, 07 & 15

Newer ones too much plastic for my tastes, I prefer the older ones. My 99 has 125K on it

Just don’t fool yourself that you’re buying a full size truck, used to snowplow a fair bit w the 99, it’s not built for such
Posted By: GreatWaputi Re: 2017 Toyota Tacoma - 05/14/20
Fine if you're a mucking fidget.
Posted By: bluefish Re: 2017 Toyota Tacoma - 05/14/20
Thanks to all. They are asking 26k for it although
Posted By: Quak Re: 2017 Toyota Tacoma - 05/14/20
Well I’m 6ft 3 And I’ve had 2

My 95 went 550,000 miles on the original engine and trans and ran perfecting when I sold it.

I currently drive a 2019 and love it too.

They ride good but don’t do great on fuel. They are loud inside...Pretty unrefined overall but they run forever and are phenomenal off-road. My 19 TRD is better than my Jeep rubicon was...and it’s not a POS Chrysler

Mrs quak drives a 19 trd 4runner
Posted By: tikkanut Re: 2017 Toyota Tacoma - 05/14/20

wife's '11 GX 460

4Runner on steriods

Posted By: woods_walker Re: 2017 Toyota Tacoma - 05/14/20
tikkanut
What tires are you running on the GX?
Posted By: Dryfly24 Re: 2017 Toyota Tacoma - 05/14/20

This my 2019 Tacoma Off Road. Absolutely reliable, durable, and really fantastic when the trail gets rough. They do have their quirks though. They aren’t great on gas mileage unless you are driving Miss Daisy. The seat needs spacers which are readily available to make the seat position tolerable. And if you plan on doing any real off roading you’re gonna need better tires that what it comes with stock.

Make sure you drive it on the highway before you buy it. Some of the early 3rd gens had gearing issues that some people didn’t like at all. It would surge and always seemed to be in the wrong gear even when it wasn’t. Drove some people nuts. Enough that they did a service calls to remap the computer. Some say it took care of it some say it didn’t . It was about the ‘17’s when they apparently fixed it so yours may be one of them. Mine has no such issues.

Great trucks with some little quirks that are easily fixed if one cares to. Ask away if you have any questions. PM if you want.
Posted By: ratsmacker Re: 2017 Toyota Tacoma - 05/14/20
Originally Posted by bluefish

I paid 28K for my '16 Frontier, new, in 2016, it's 2WD, though.

I'd do some more shopping, frankly.

I bought the Frontier because the seating position is more comfortable for my back, and I've had great service out of them. The design is OLD, but the bugs are worked out really well. I just can't get comfortable in the Toyotas. And a comparable Frontier is 5-6K less, new. I think the Toyotas are overpriced, around here you can buy a new Ram for that same price, and have a comfortable full-sized truck with the same mileage.
Posted By: tjm10025 Re: 2017 Toyota Tacoma - 05/14/20

How do you like those Coopers on that truck?

Originally Posted by Dryfly24
Originally Posted by tjm10025

How do you like those Coopers on that truck?

Originally Posted by Dryfly24

The best thing I did to it was put those tires on. The only other absolute necessity IMO, are the seat spacers to change the seating angle. Without them I would’ve sold the truck because my knee couldn’t take it. No exaggeration.
Posted By: JPro Re: 2017 Toyota Tacoma - 05/14/20
I am looking at one with a crew cab and.6.foot box with 55k miles. One previous owner, leased. These vehicles seem to have a loyal ownership and appear to be good, dependable vehicles. Drove it yesterday and drove as expected. Dealer ok with my mechanic offering a second opinion of value.

If a guy doesn't tow much beyond an ATV or lightweight boat, they are good trucks. Like several here, I've had multiple Tacomas and 4Runners over the years with little in the way of problems (a pulley bearing or wheel bearing here and there). Gas mileage on the 4.0L models isn't great, but they are reliable and tough little trucks. I do wish my 2011 had some bigger brakes for when I'm pulling a trailer.

My last F150 4x4 5.4Laveraged around 14mpg on mixed driving and the 2011 Tacoma 4.0L is more like 17, both with one size larger tires. Most folks that buy them primarily for expected fuel MPG savings are disappointed. Not sure what kind of mileage the 2016+ Tacoma gets. I want to say my 11 DC 4x4 model was also around $25k when I bough it used (3yrs old and around 35k miles).
Posted By: RS308MX Re: 2017 Toyota Tacoma - 05/14/20
I've had six in the past 20 years. Current is a 2018. As you might expect, I really like them. They just keep working. Resale/trade value is outstanding. Get it, you won't be sorry!
Posted By: DaveR Re: 2017 Toyota Tacoma - 05/14/20
I've got a 2017 TRDOR 4x4 Double Cab.

I've got no complaints with it after 3 years.

Beware of transmission shift points. As stated above, it drives some people a little bonkers. I get it, it is not ideal, but I seem to manage just fine. Put it over to "sport mode" and limit it to 5th gear on the freeway, and the occasional limit to 4th on hills, and it does just fine for me. I don't get it on the highway much, so it is not much of a bother to me.

I personally don't get the complaints about seating position. Maybe it is because I've only driven (as far as trucks go) Tacomas for the last 20 years. I'm 6'0" and find the seating position just fine.

There were some issues with a batch of bad crankshaft position sensors. They tend to go wonky and leave you on the side of the road. I haven't experienced it with mine, but have heard of a few who have. Just in case, I bought a spare sensor and keep it under the back seat. Set me back about $25 or somewhere around there.

Very capable off road, especially with the rear locker. I also have MTS (multi terrain select) and "crawl control". Tried out the crawl control a few times, did not impress me over what the locker and MTS will do in combination. I'm sure it has its place though.

There are some usual minor complaints about squeaks or rattles from a few specific spots. I have none of that though. Super quiet truck as far as that goes, which is one reason I love Toyotas. I get super annoyed with squeaks and rattles, but I've had none. Truck is tight.

Personally I like the look of the truck. That hood feels quite enormous though after driving a 2002 for 15 years. Hard to judge distances to objects directly in front and causes an issue in breakover situations off road. I installed a front facing camera to combat that.

Overall very pleased. Tough, reliable (so far) and capable. Only time will tell if it treats me as good as the 2002 has, but those are big shoes to fill. That 2002 is the best vehicle I've ever owned, and still going strong with over 15 years and 245k miles on the odometer. Abused the hell outta that truck off road...lots of miles...and never anything but minor issues.

Haven't had it out in the sticks as much as I'd of liked over the past few years due to a health issue and work, but that's going to change this summer and fall.
Posted By: Dancing Bear Re: 2017 Toyota Tacoma - 05/14/20

I think you have found a darn good deal. I recommend you get it. The 2017's are reportedly reliable and may or may not have the problem with the transmission seeking a gear. They got it solved apparently as my 2020 doesn't exhibit it. Consumer Reports shows 2018 as being below average in reliability. There is no noted problem with the 2017's.

If I could have found a similarly priced 2012-2019 to what I got I would have taken it. I wasn't able to, I was finding them at 30K plus. I got the new one for 35K, this is lower than I had found earlier.

If you consider buying new: The 2020 has a couple of features I really wanted. Crawl control is a winner for me. It has let me breeze through some loose sloppy and a little rocky terrain that I thought might be tough. They now come with a power seat on the drivers side and it works very well, I like being able to adjst my position on longer drives without stopping. Another new item is an electric rear mid window, it does a great job of funneling air through the cab. I am a little leery of some of the safety features as I don't know how reliable they will be. I like the closeness alarms.

I am a long term Toyota fan, so take my thoughts with that in mind. I had a 74 2wd, an 81 4x4 long bed, a 98 SR5 V-6 extended cab 4x4 (still have it-hunting, trips to shoot, tow trailer to dump) I also have a 2013 Tundra double cab and finally, just bought a 2020 TRD Off Road Double Cab, short box. My youngest boy has owned a 94, 2006, 2011, and at the moment, a 2015 Tacoma double cab 4x4. My oldest daughter has a 2016 4 Runner as well. I did have a warranty call back on transmission bearings on the 81 so they aren't completely reliable I suppose. Literally no reliability problems.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: 2017 Toyota Tacoma - 05/14/20

Seems 2020 base models are about $26K

https://www.edmunds.com/toyota/tacoma/

I'd imagine you'd be happy with it, given the input of others.

At about 4" short of 6' I fit in my '01 2 door, xtra cab quite easily. I'm a fan of manual transmissions, so that's what mine has. It doesn't search for gears..........I do.

after putting 140K miles on it, after the other onwer(s) put 110K on it, I'm certainly surprised that all I've really had to do other than maintenance items is a front axle seal.

good luck if you decide to get it.
Posted By: KFWA Re: 2017 Toyota Tacoma - 05/14/20
crawl control would be useless to me on a $35K truck because I would never take a $35K truck off pavement

that's beyond my value proposition
Posted By: 1234 Re: 2017 Toyota Tacoma - 05/14/20
i am on my fifth toyota pick-up they have all been good trucks.

Ed
Posted By: local_dirt Re: 2017 Toyota Tacoma - 05/14/20
First off, is it a 4x4?

My brother was looking at an '18 for over $30K. He decided against that and got a brand new TRD Off Road for $33.4K OTD.

My buddy’s ‘17 does have the gear hunting issue which doesn’t seem to bother him but would drive me nuts. My ‘19 does not and shifts smooth as silk.

I love the crawl control feature on my TRD OR. It does work but you’ll very rarely have to use it as these things are very capable in regular 4x4. They are designed where you can use a bunch of different features in all manner of different combinations to suit whatever type of terrain you’re on. I’ve gone places I would’ve never attempted with my 4x4 Tundra.

The safety features such as blind spot monitoring/alert system, auto high beam activate/deactivate, radar controlled deceleration in cruise control, etc, - which I thought were all superfluous BS at first - have actually turned out to be quite handy and all work great.

The only one I don’t like and always have turned off is the lane departure feature which is more a of a PITA, unless you’re about half asleep in which case you shouldn’t be driving at all.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: 2017 Toyota Tacoma - 05/14/20
Gotta admit, the front ends on just about all new truck, any brand are hideous looking.

Are they trying to make them look more "industrial" ? Seems I've seen more attractive grills on mine equipment.

I'll take the looks of my '01 over the new look any day.
Posted By: 30338 Re: 2017 Toyota Tacoma - 05/14/20
I can buy a new one in Denver for $32,000 with 60 months of 0 financing. Toyotas are about the only vehicles I buy new as the resale is great after even 10 years which is about how often I buy new. Son and I are both 6'7" and we fit okay in his 2009. Prefer my Tundra of course.
Originally Posted by 30338
I can buy a new one in Denver for $32,000 with 60 months of 0 financing. Toyotas are about the only vehicles I buy new as the resale is great after even 10 years which is about how often I buy new. Son and I are both 6'7" and we fit okay in his 2009. Prefer my Tundra of course.

After driving my Tundra around for twelve years, going to the Tacoma was a bit of a shock. To be honest I’m still not completely over it and miss the comfort and roominess above all else; but there are advantages, such as being able to reach almost anywhere inside the cab without having to pull over, and maneuvering in tight places on and off road.
Posted By: ShortMag11 Re: 2017 Toyota Tacoma - 05/14/20
Only complaints I hear are the ride sucks and not much towing capacity. If neither of those are a worrys on your end you should be good to go. Its common to see these running around with 200-400K and in all original form.
Posted By: Switch Re: 2017 Toyota Tacoma - 05/14/20
When I bought my 2016 F-150 in the end of Oct 2016 the Ford dealer had a used Tundra 2013 not real fancy with 40k on it,some scratches in the paint. I test drove it and it was fine but I made the comment that it was problematic that they wanted 32k for it with no warrantee. THE SALESMAN laughed and showed me the ford I bought for 32,500 brand new and full warrantee. MB

I'm sorry!
Nothing to be sorry about I'm damn happy with my F-150 it's roomy and comfortable on a long drive. A whole lot nicer than the 95 Tacoma with 247k on it in my backyard waiting for me to have a new clutch put in it. It's got the 2.7 4cyl goes good and runs cheap. That's called having 2 kinds of cake and eating both whenever you want too.MB
Posted By: Terryk Re: 2017 Toyota Tacoma - 05/14/20
Local-ish dealer sells leases. 2019 TRD Tacoma double cab, 31988.00. They had some cheaper, I guess with less options, maybe? 28K was lowest. I think they sell about 10 in a week. They get in a batch and sell them pretty quick. I should have bought my 4runner there instead of new.
https://www.blueknobauto.com/used/T...+pa-ec46b9bb0a0e08be1665658f0c846868.htm

4X4, NAVIGATION, LANE DEPART, COLLISION ALERT, TOW PACKAGE, BED LINER, POWER REAR WINDOW, AUTOMATIC, POWER WINDOWS, POWER LOCKS, TILT WHEEL, ADAPTIVE CRUISE CONTROL, A/C, AM/FM/CD, AUX PORT, BACKUP CAMERA, 16" ALLOY RIMS #

Odometer
11,080 miles
Fuel Economy
18.0/22.0 mpg City/Hwy
Exterior Color
White
Interior Color
Other
Body/Seating
Truck Double Cab/5 seats
Transmission
6 speed automatic
Drivetrain
four-wheel
Engine
3.5L V-6 cyl
Posted By: SuperCub Re: 2017 Toyota Tacoma - 05/14/20

I have a 2018 crew cab with 6' box. I love it. It's my second Tacoma. Had the other one 10yrs. No troubles either. I'll buy another when the time comes.
Posted By: JPro Re: 2017 Toyota Tacoma - 05/14/20
One thing I'd change about my current Tacoma if buying a new 3rd Gen is that I'd go with the longer 6' bed. I have a slim tool box in mine and there's just not a lot of bed left for stuff.

A local guy has an Off-Road 3rd Gen with the long bed, mild lift, and 265/75R16 BFG's. It looks great. The lift and slightly bigger tires make the longer wheelbase look proportionate.
Posted By: Taco2fiddy7 Re: 2017 Toyota Tacoma - 05/14/20
The 2016 and beyond Tacomas have the 3.5 with the 6 speed and the power train simply sucks. I had a 2017. Maybe they got their shiit together on the 19 or 20?

Do some research, many came from the factory low of transmission fluid in their sealed unit. Dealers try to do the Techstream test because it's fast, but they must be manually checked. Mine came low on fluid too. The transmission has had many TSB updates because it simply sucks.

Yes the 3.5 makes more peak power than the old 4.0, but it makes less usable power down low where you're typically driving at. If you have a headwind on the freeway forget about 6th gear, doesn't have the bottom end power. I've been at high altitude (CO), flat highways, with headwinds when it couldn't even hold 5th gear at 70mph. Never had that problem in the 15 Tacoma or my 17 4Runner.

The truck was great but the engine, transmission combo annoyed me every time I drove it. Got rid of it and don't miss it.
Posted By: tikkanut Re: 2017 Toyota Tacoma - 05/15/20
Originally Posted by woods_walker
tikkanut
What tires are you running on the GX?

Goodyear Wrangler Ultra Terrain

LT 265-70x17 Fuel wheels 17x8.5" w/+ 7 offset

Posted By: sollybug Re: 2017 Toyota Tacoma - 05/15/20
Great truck must overpriced offer a few thousand less and keep looking if they dont agree. Nicely built easy to modify. Frames rust like crazy.
© 24hourcampfire