Home
Posted By: steve4102 Fresh Ham? - 05/16/20
I ordered a pig several months ago and I finally got it.

When I ordered it I asked that the hams not be cured and smoked, fresh. I was planning on making my own smoked hams.
Well as time went by, I decided I couldn't wait, so I cured and smoked a bunch of butts and made a ton of pulled hams. I don't really need any more smoked ham.

So, what to do with these big old fresh hind quarters?
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Fresh Ham? - 05/16/20
Pork roast.
Posted By: steve4102 Re: Fresh Ham? - 05/16/20
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Pork roast.

Cook the [bleep] out of it like pulled (203*), or 145* and slice?
Posted By: deflave Re: Fresh Ham? - 05/16/20
Steve,

I like to do them to around 145 and still be able to slice them. I put a rub on them the same as I would for pulled pork.

We usually make sandwiches but you can serve as roast if you'd prefer.

I usually score the fat cap in 1/2" squares. They make nice little chicharone type bites when you pull it off. I do them in the Egg but you can do them in an oven just as easily.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Fresh Ham? - 05/16/20
Pork roast is great, make small cuts in it, place slivers of garlic in. Roast it until done, serve the gravy over Yorkshire pudding.
Originally Posted by deflave
Steve,

I like to do them to around 145 and still be able to slice them. I put a rub on them the same as I would for pulled pork.

We usually make sandwiches but you can serve as roast if you'd prefer.

I usually score the fat cap in 1/2" squares. They make nice little chicharone type bites when you pull it off. I do them in the Egg but you can do them in an oven just as easily.

Thanks,
I think I will do it on my pellet grill/smoker, what temp should I use?
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: Fresh Ham? - 05/16/20
Boston butt in the crock pot. Salt's season salt, pepper, granulated garlic, liquid smoke, a sliced onion, and a couple of bay leaves. Crock on high for 4-5 hours.

I have a real recipe somewhere and it has a lot of salt but when it turns out it's great. I remember you mix about 1/2 cup of salt, 1/4 cup of pepper, and 1/4 cup of granulated garlic in a shaker to make what's called a house seasoning. Then use a few tablespoons of it and a few more Tablespoons of lawry's seasoned salt to rub the whole thing down. Sliced onions in the bottom and around the sides plus the 2-3 bay leaves. Liquid smoke and a little water.

If it interests you I'll dig up the recipe. When it's done it'll pull pretty easy. Like pulled pork with a little taste.

Other than that I'd try some kind of Hawaiian recipe. Most are kind of plain but the ones I like involve pineapple juice, soy sauce, and maybe brown sugar and even coke cola.

Bb
Last night I did some thin sliced boneless pork chops on the grille and everyone loved them. Those I do about 1/2" loin slices. I sprinkle a little bit of Montreal steak seasoning and then marinade them for about 1 hour in a bag with Soy Vay brand Island Teriyaki sauce then grill.

I made my pina colada rice with it. Its 1.5 cups long grain white, 1/2 can of crushed pineapple with the juice, and about 3/4 cup coco Lopez or a similar brand of sweetened coconut cream. Stir together with 2 cups water in rice cooker and cook like plain rice or bring to boil in pan then immediately put on low with lid on until done.

Bb
Posted By: deflave Re: Fresh Ham? - 05/16/20
250-275

Just treat it like pulled pork but pull it off earlier.
Posted By: sawbuck Re: Fresh Ham? - 05/16/20
Slice a little up and fry it like venison, see if you like it.
Posted By: joken2 Re: Fresh Ham? - 05/16/20

Grind some (maybe add some fat per preference) with seasonings into sausage.
Posted By: Hogwild7 Re: Fresh Ham? - 05/16/20
We use to have a barbeque place that would cold smoke for you. Green Ham 2 days in the smoker some of the best pork I remember eating.
Originally Posted by joken2

Grind some (maybe add some fat per preference) with seasonings into sausage.

I have plenty of butts and trimmings for that, not to mention about 200 pounds of sausage already in the freezer.

My wife would shoot me if I turned this into sausage.
Originally Posted by deflave
250-275

Just treat it like pulled pork but pull it off earlier.

Gotcha thanks.
Posted By: Windfall Re: Fresh Ham? - 05/16/20
In these parts, it could be very fresh ham. The wife's son works for the USDA and does field work directly with the local farmers. He has one farm that has 3,000 hogs ready for market and the processors won't take them because of the reduced production. He doesn't know what he is going to do with them because they will be getting too big. Killing them all and burying was his environmental ramification question to Matt. What a colossal waste and that is only one farmer. There was a question on here this week about processing your own cow and maybe not, but I think that most deer hunters who cut up their own deer could process a pig. Would you try that if you could get a hog for near nothing?
Posted By: Texczech Re: Fresh Ham? - 05/16/20
Windfall
Where is that pig farm?
I wouldnt mind 1 or 2.
I had an uncle that would have drove several hundred miles to get some of those. He would just load them in the back seat of his suburban. A little fresh pig crap in his ride would freshen the smell of that cab a bit.

As a kid I remember bottle feeding calves from the passenger seat of his k5 blazer while he drove 3 of them in the back seat area from Jerome Idaho to Provo Utah. They didn't stop for bathroom breaks.

Bb
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Fresh Ham? - 05/16/20
Make a ham.
Posted By: JohnGlenn Re: Fresh Ham? - 05/16/20
Make prosciutto. Always wanted to try it. Love that stuff. Maybe someday when I have more time and patience.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: Fresh Ham? - 05/16/20
Fat Chicks need love too
Posted By: Dons1 Re: Fresh Ham? - 05/16/20
Corn the ham then make a Maryland stuffed ham. A rare breed and one of the finest sandwich treats you can experience. There is a country store down in Tall Timbers, MD that makes them and ships. I have a recipe if you want to roll your own.
Posted By: Reloder28 Re: Fresh Ham? - 05/16/20
Aint much better eating than a fresh ham.
Posted By: steve4102 Re: Fresh Ham? - 05/17/20
Originally Posted by Dons1
Corn the ham then make a Maryland stuffed ham. A rare breed and one of the finest sandwich treats you can experience. There is a country store down in Tall Timbers, MD that makes them and ships. I have a recipe if you want to roll your own.

Sounds interesting, lets see it.
Posted By: hanco Re: Fresh Ham? - 05/17/20
I love fresh ham. I need to get wifey on that!
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Fresh Ham? - 05/17/20
Pack it in salt for 60 days, then cold smoke it.
Posted By: Dons1 Re: Fresh Ham? - 05/17/20
You may need to manipulate this scan to make it legible,

Also, Google "Corned ham" for the preparation of the ham.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/14885620/maryland-stuffed-ham
© 24hourcampfire