Home
Posted By: wabigoon Wheat Farmers? - 05/18/20
Is see Sam Olson talked about drilling the wheat. I think I've read the wheat can be seeded with an air drill, and with any wide rig a GPS helps to drive right.

How do you seed wheat? And fertilizer, and herbicides applied?
Posted By: viking Re: Wheat Farmers? - 05/18/20
Back in the day.. IH 6200, 2x12’s.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Wheat Farmers? - 05/18/20
The only wheat I have ever raised was in 86, endgate seeder, we windrowed it, and chopped the mix for silage. It was a cover crop.
Posted By: LJBass Re: Wheat Farmers? - 05/18/20
I think Sam grows a different variety (ours is hard red winter wheat?) than my part of the country. Here it is planted after corn in the fall and harvested late june-ish. Then the soybeans go in, and after those are harvested the field is fallow until sprayed and planted with corn... For those that actually attempt to rotate crops.

Pretty sure Sam has Spring wheat of some sort and it takes the entire growing season.
Posted By: ERK Re: Wheat Farmers? - 05/18/20
Mostly hard red spring wheat up north . Better quality. Most guys here are running 40 to 60 ft air seeders. Fertilizers go down at the same time as seed. Mostly andhydrous ammonia because it’s cheapest. Poor years 20 bushel to the acre and a great year 70 bu. Average problably 45 now. Ed k
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Wheat Farmers? - 05/18/20
Dark northern spring wheat.

Seeded at 60 pounds or so. Dry fertilizer down with the seed. 70 to 100 pounds of that.

We have a 50 foot air seeder. 12 inch spacing.

Seed about an inch deep.

An excellent yeild here is 40 bushels. Typically 30 to 35.

Have cut a lot of 5 and 10 bushel crops.

We raise some of the highest quality wheat in the world....and they dock the piss out of us for the pleasure!

10 to 12 inches of moisture a year is why we have quality. They just won't pay for it.

Seeded in April May....cut in August September.
What fertilizer, herbicides?

Back when we would watch over the air TV in Wabigoon, the CBC would run bonspiels from western Canada. The walls would advertises weed sprays I'd never heard of, I'd bought from the same companies, but different products.
Pre plant you rely on Roundup or cultivation.

If you plant early you have to then spray for weeds in crop. LV6 or Banvil.

Widematch if all your organic neighbors raise lots of Canada thistle. Which they do.

Discover for wild oats, Axial for pigeon grass.

Various fungicides sometimes.

A LOT of that can be avoided if you seed a little later. Yes yeild suffers some. But profit potential is the same.

Zero. Better than under zero.

A lot of 11-52 gets used. Used to be 18-46

We use a 20-17-5-5 dry.

11-52 for legumes.
Thank you Jim.
Posted By: hanco Re: Wheat Farmers? - 05/18/20
Wheat is about ready to combine down here.

Is it the same kind you are planting? They plant this in October and November. It comes up, but doesn’t grow much until March.
We call that winter wheat. It is planted in Sept Oct and then cut in July August.
I don't know a lot about wheat, but there is hard wheat, soft wheat, cake flour wheat, and more. It's %105 of corn to feed cattle, hotter than corn, it can burn up a bovine liver.
Doctor Norman Borlaug, with help invented shorter wheat that can use more nitrogen without lodging.
Posted By: hanco Re: Wheat Farmers? - 05/18/20
The deer in Coleman County sure liked the winter wheat.
Posted By: Godogs57 Re: Wheat Farmers? - 05/18/20
We plant soft red winter here. My farmers just finished cutting theirs this week.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Wheat Farmers? - 05/18/20
If you raise all the corn that you do, why are you asking about how to plant wheat? Attention seeking?

Are you not following crop rotation? Do you raise corn in the same dirt every season?

The same farmers here that raise corn, also raise soybeans and winter wheat.

Corn, drilled in April- combined in late Sept
Sept- Jan lays fallow
Jan, drilled for wheat- combined in early June

June crew comes in ASAP usually next day and drills the short crop of soybeans, combined them early October

So to recap: corn-wheat-soybeans, lather rinse repeat

And by the way they plow it like a man, none of that wussy no-till BS

Round up ready corn and beans here

Posted By: slumlord Re: Wheat Farmers? - 05/18/20
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

They grow wheat here just fine with 49 inches of annual rainfall.
Looks prosperous.

Yes, I am sure they grow wheat just fine. Thats the fugging problem!
Posted By: Sycamore Re: Wheat Farmers? - 05/18/20
Originally Posted by slumlord
If you raise all the corn that you do, why are you asking about how to plant wheat? Attention seeking?

Are you not following crop rotation? Do you raise corn in the same dirt every season?

The same farmers here that raise corn, also raise soybeans and winter wheat.

Corn, drilled in April- combined in late Sept
Sept- Jan lays fallow
Jan, drilled for wheat- combined in early June

June crew comes in ASAP usually next day and drills the short crop of soybeans, combined them early October

So to recap: corn-wheat-soybeans, lather rinse repeat

And by the way they plow it like a man, none of that wussy no-till BS

Round up ready corn and beans here

when do they fit in arry-head huntin' ?
Posted By: ERK Re: Wheat Farmers? - 05/18/20
North Dakota and Montana raise the best quality wheat and durum and barley in the U.S. The falling numbers and protein are second to none. Unfortunately we get about a buck a bushel less than elsewhere because of shipping. Ed k
Posted By: viking Re: Wheat Farmers? - 05/19/20
Does anyone raise durum anymore?
Posted By: Stormin_Norman Re: Wheat Farmers? - 05/19/20
Originally Posted by ERK
North Dakota and Montana raise the best quality wheat and durum and barley in the U.S. The falling numbers and protein are second to none. Unfortunately we get about a buck a bushel less than elsewhere because of shipping. Ed k

I didn't know it was that much less per bushel, geesh.
Posted By: MM879 Re: Wheat Farmers? - 05/19/20
I would skip the wheat and just plant pancake mix.
Posted By: kingston Re: Wheat Farmers? - 05/19/20
Originally Posted by MM879
I would skip the wheat and just plant pancake mix.

LOL
Posted By: ERK Re: Wheat Farmers? - 05/19/20
Some guys here still raise durum and also in Montana. It can bring a better price than hard wheat if it’s good quality. Spaghetti and pastas are made from it but a percentage of wheat is allowed in the mix. The Italians buy our durum and then ship back spaghetti and then some dopes rave how good it is. Edk
Posted By: AbeJohnsen Re: Wheat Farmers? - 05/20/20
I’m North of the 49th and where we are in north eastern Alberta we are pretty much at the northern tip of farmable land. An hour north of me it’s muskeg and Bush, an hour south of me gets a 2week on average jump start on us.
We grow Wheat , Barley, Oats, Field Peas, and Canola.
Using a 45’ Morris Airdrill &300 bu. Aircart. Not sure if it’s a Weather/climate thing but we seed way heavier then what I’ve read on here so far. Wheat goes in at 125-175 lbs/acre, and dry fert blend is from 150 to 250/acre.
I grew hard red spring wheat and just finished seeding last Friday, we hope to straight cut it in September.
Still seeding canola .
Posted By: kkahmann Re: Wheat Farmers? - 05/20/20
Abe—didn’t they used to call canola rapeseed?
Do you get the 40 BPA Jim mentioned—on wheat?
Posted By: Earls1st Re: Wheat Farmers? - 05/20/20
Does anyone remember wheat varieties grown in northwestern Minnesota in the 1970s? We raised Protor (I think) and Kitt (a ten acre test that made 54 bushels an acre). I don’t think the whole farm averaged over 40. Was there a variety called Era?
Posted By: AbeJohnsen Re: Wheat Farmers? - 05/21/20
Originally Posted by kkahmann

Rapeseed is still what the old timers refer to canola as.
As for wheat yield 40 bu / acre your losing money.
We try to hit between 50-60 an acre on our farm . With some guys locally getting above that although their input costs still have them average the same return/ acre.
Posted By: ERK Re: Wheat Farmers? - 05/21/20
Most of the farmers in my area have a proven yield of about 45 bushels per acre. That means to make a profit you have to bet against averages and beat your proven yield. Roll the dice baby! 45 here is about break even point. That is for just cash I put costs and does not count machinery costs. Ed k
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Wheat Farmers? - 05/21/20
Originally Posted by AbeJohnsen
I’m North of the 49th and where we are in north eastern Alberta we are pretty much at the northern tip of farmable land. An hour north of me it’s muskeg and Bush, an hour south of me gets a 2week on average jump start on us.
We grow Wheat , Barley, Oats, Field Peas, and Canola.
Using a 45’ Morris Airdrill &300 bu. Aircart. Not sure if it’s a Weather/climate thing but we seed way heavier then what I’ve read on here so far. Wheat goes in at 125-175 lbs/acre, and dry fert blend is from 150 to 250/acre.
I grew hard red spring wheat and just finished seeding last Friday, we hope to straight cut it in September.
Still seeding canola .

Your wheat must not stool that far north.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Wheat Farmers? - 05/21/20
Originally Posted by AbeJohnsen

Rapeseed is still what the old timers refer to canola as.
As for wheat yield 40 bu / acre your losing money.
We try to hit between 50-60 an acre on our farm . With some guys locally getting above that although their input costs still have them average the same return/ acre.

Amazing yields.

You must get good moisture.
Posted By: Duckhunter Re: Wheat Farmers? - 05/21/20
Damn, an actual thread with no name calling or other childish comments....Bravo!
Posted By: driggy Re: Wheat Farmers? - 05/21/20
My relatives farm in North Central ND and say you'll find every leak in your combine real quick when harvesting canola.
Posted By: ERK Re: Wheat Farmers? - 05/21/20
Canola runs about like water does. Duct tape to the rescue on combines and trucks and grain bins. I was raising about 1500 acres a year before I retired. Ed k
Posted By: BobMt Re: Wheat Farmers? - 05/21/20
Originally Posted by Duckhunter
Damn, an actual thread with no name calling or other childish comments....Bravo!

you must have missed slumies post ...he managed to slip one in there....he is sneaky.......bob
Posted By: slumlord Re: Wheat Farmers? - 05/21/20
Grow corn for 70 years never learned how to grow wheat?

Doesn’t practice crop rotation? Strange

No being a meanie, just things that make ya go “hmmmm”...

Posted By: Salty303 Re: Wheat Farmers? - 05/21/20

Big dairy farmers around here have been growing corn in the same spot every year for decades. They must be doing something right pa's driving a brand new one ton diesel and ma's got a Mercedes and a Lexus.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Wheat Farmers? - 05/22/20
When it is planted here we just use a drill.

By the way all of the cotton is planted under irrigation,the dryland will be put in later.

One spot on the farm tends to be hard to grow a good crop of cotton so it will be put in last as well.
It had rye planted for haying round bales.
Posted By: wabigoon Re: Wheat Farmers? - 05/22/20
The canola oil meal must be a good protean feed?
Posted By: slumlord Re: Wheat Farmers? - 05/22/20
Originally Posted by Salty303

Big dairy farmers around here have been growing corn in the same spot every year for decades. They must be doing something right pa's driving a brand new one ton diesel and ma's got a Mercedes and a Lexus.

Not much dairy here, wot a few mennonite operations, maybe all that liquid poo up there is the ticket, has to be. That being said, they guy I guy farms 18,000 acres of row crop. Be a lot of poo to rejuvenate his soils.

Different soils and difference practices, what it comes down to I suppose.

Still, If I had raised cattle all my life. I wouldn’t ask “hmmmm anyone know what goats eat” ?
Surely I would have ran across the answer just hanging at Co-Ops. 😃

Posted By: SamOlson Re: Wheat Farmers? - 05/22/20
Years ago I asked the head agronomist at our local Wilbur Ellis how many years in a row can you grow corn on the same ground.

He said you can grow it as many years as you can, until you can't....

Basically, it depends. And he said disease would be the end of it. That and I'm sure it's hard on the soil.

We've gone 4-5 years in a row with silage corn on a certain 40 acre field. And that is because everything else in the area was in alfalfa. We didn't have issues but did spread 300lbs of urea on it every spring. But I guess you'd do that regardless.

Dryland spring wheat farming is kind of a side gig to our cattle and we really should be rotating with a pulse crop but we don't have a big sprayer and we don't have a combine. And with some of the pulse crops you need to do a lot of spraying and when the crop is ready to cut you better be cutting it.

I actually mentioned to my dad yesterday that I have no interest in the paperwork side of the farm game and we should think about leasing out our wheat ground. That and we have plenty to do as it is.

And I've been around cows my entire life but have no idea about sheep or goats or chickens or pigs, etc..
Posted By: kkahmann Re: Wheat Farmers? - 05/22/20
I use canola oil in my propane cookers here. It’s about a third the price of peanut oil. Not unusual here on the weekends to have 4 cookers going. One for fish, 2 for French fries and one for onion rings and poppers and shrimp. I’ve never noticed a difference and nobody complains if the walleye are fresh.
If just a couple of us then lard in cast iron is the only way to go.
Posted By: Salty303 Re: Wheat Farmers? - 05/22/20
Originally Posted by Salty303

Not much dairy here, wot a few mennonite operations, maybe all that liquid poo up there is the ticket, has to be. That being said, they guy I guy farms 18,000 acres of row crop. Be a lot of poo to rejuvenate his soils.

Different soils and difference practices, what it comes down to I suppose.

Still, If I had raised cattle all my life. I wouldn’t ask “hmmmm anyone know what goats eat” ?
Surely I would have ran across the answer just hanging at Co-Ops. 😃

Heavy on the cow poo. They've got the cows in a barn all winter concrete floors eating sileage till they're about ready burst every day. The manure all goes in to big concrete lagoons. When the frost leaves they start spraying and I think they stop about Thanksgiving. LOL Luckily the closest huge show like this is about 50 miles, a moderate sized one closer. Cause man can the air be ripe around there for days on end.
Oh ya the other thing they do is till and plant fall rye when the silage corn comes off. It greens up and is maybe 10 inches high before winter comes. Then around April it starts to grow again and they cut it once for silage till again and plant corn. So that probably helps the monoculture issues some. They do this over and over for decades.
Interesting.

When I was working concrete we poured the floor for one of those lagoons.
That dairy game, they throw a lot of money around infrastructure up the kazoo, huge fancy barns. Zero small dairy to speak of around here any more all high tech big dollar deals..
Posted By: Nathan13 Re: Wheat Farmers? - 05/22/20
I'm shocked at the low yields you guys are reporting for your areas. I just sprayed ours yesterday with a fungicide called miravis ace to suppress fusarium head blight. We plant anytime after the Hessian fly date in the fall either following corn silage or soybeans and can plant thru October depending on the year. Of course the later the date the higher the seeding rate. The goal is about 1.5 million plants per acre. I always broadcast some fertilizer at planti g and spray with an herbicide called finesse at planting time. In the spring I spread urea , split between 2 applications for a total of about 120 units nitrogen per acre. Then another spray pass of a growth regulator like Palisade to strengthen the stems to prevent lodging this pass is also a good time to add a copper fungicide like Badge to prevent powdery mildew, then this final pass of fusarium fungicide during flowering. Good wheat takes intensive management. But 100 by per acre is pretty standard and 120 isn't unheard of. One thing about using the Finesse in the fall , you can't follow with corn in the spring if you decide to terminate the crop. You'd have to follow with beans.
Different deal here.

Your input cost are way higher than ours but you have better dirt and get more rain.
Posted By: LJBass Re: Wheat Farmers? - 05/22/20

I've always heard they changed the name because you can't get a suburban housewife to buy "rape oil"

Side note, Canola stands for Can - Canadian, O - Oil, LA - Low acid.

You can decide why they changed the name for yourself.
Posted By: ERK Re: Wheat Farmers? - 05/22/20
Dry land farming in semi arid country is way different than places with rain. Here in North Dakota we average 14 inches total precipitation which includes snow. Jim said they are at 12 to 13 inches. All the fertilizer in the world does no good without water. You seed and fertilize accordingly. This dry farming does result in the best quality small grains. Guys here are still trying to get last years crops off so they can seed this years crops. About half done here. Ed k
© 24hourcampfire