Home
Posted By: hatari Smoking a tri tip - 05/18/20
Smoked my first tri tip on the BGE yesterday.

They are not a common cut in the South and not often encountered at the grocery store counter, but what a wonderful cut of meat done on the grill!
I put a rub similar to what I put on Boston butts and smoked over hickory then reverse seared it. Tender and flavorful. I've been missing out.
Posted By: Jim_Conrad Re: Smoking a tri tip - 05/18/20
Next you will tell us that smoked brisket and pork ribs is good.

Also that flank steak tacos are a treat as well.

No wonder rib steaks are cheap! The high rollers are buying the garbage.....
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: Smoking a tri tip - 05/18/20
Where did you find rolling papers that big, and how did you keep it lit? That's going to a lot of time and effort for roast beef!
Jerry
Posted By: GregW Re: Smoking a tri tip - 05/18/20
Did a tritip myself last night. Love them ..
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: Smoking a tri tip - 05/18/20
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: hanco Re: Smoking a tri tip - 05/18/20
We haven’t had brisket in a while. I need to get one.
Posted By: hatari Re: Smoking a tri tip - 05/18/20
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
Where did you find rolling papers that big, and how did you keep it lit? That's going to a lot of time and effort for roast beef!
Jerry

Cheech and Chong's "Big Bambu" album.

Remember the paper on the inside of the jacket?? smile
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Next you will tell us that smoked brisket and pork ribs is good.

Also that flank steak tacos are a treat as well.

No wonder rib steaks are cheap! The high rollers are buying the garbage.....

Tri-tip is just not a cut often seen here. More of Western Mid Western thing, or so I'm told.

We do know a thing or two about pork and brisket down here!. Good eats! wink
Posted By: slumlord Re: Smoking a tri tip - 05/18/20
I like this better than the smoking bananananas thread.
They don't sell tri tip here.
Posted By: slumlord Re: Smoking a tri tip - 05/18/20
You got a whole farm of it walking around 😃
Posted By: deflave Re: Smoking a tri tip - 05/18/20

It became the rage of suburbanites about 10 years back.
Sirloin steak under a couple cans of cream of mushroom is still considered a real treat on the Hi Line.
Posted By: EdM Re: Smoking a tri tip - 05/18/20
I went to university near the central coast of California in the early 80’s where the cut originated and we ate them all of the time. Used to pay $.99/lb at times or the usual $1.99/lb. My Mother would always have bring a few up whenever I headed home in NorCal.
Originally Posted by EdM
I went to university near the central coast of California in the early 80’s where the cut originated and we ate them all of the time. Used to pay $.99/lb at times or the usual $1.99/lb. My Mother would always have bring a few up whenever I headed home in NorCal.

I've heard it called "California cut".
Posted By: duck911 Re: Smoking a tri tip - 05/18/20
Super popular in Colorado. Great flavor! I like that the shape allows me to get the tip to medium (for my wife) while keeping the thicker side blue or rare.
Posted By: cv540 Re: Smoking a tri tip - 05/18/20
Smoked my first one a few weeks ago, used a venison rub on it. Wife was dubious at first but loved it.
Originally Posted by deflave

It became the rage of suburbanites about 10 years back.

That helped drive the damn price up. Same chit with flank steak and the Messicans using it for carne asada.
Originally Posted by hatari
Originally Posted by EdM

I've heard it called "California cut".

Originally called a triangle roast by Eastern Coasties.
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Smoking a tri tip - 05/18/20

They are not a common cut in the South and not often encountered at the grocery store counter, but what a wonderful cut of meat done on the grill!
I put a rub similar to what I put on Boston butts and smoked over hickory then reverse seared it. Tender and flavorful. I've been missing out.

I discovered this cut about 6 months ago, and it is a favorite of ours now. Like you said....slow smoked to about 125*, reverse sear to 135*, a wonderful medium rare treat. You may ask your butcher, but an even better tri-tip is called a Pecanha roast. It is a sirloin cut with a fat cap. It is wonderful.
Originally Posted by JGRaider

I discovered this cut about 6 months ago, and it is a favorite of ours now. Like you said....slow smoked to about 125*, reverse sear to 135*, a wonderful medium rare treat. You may ask your butcher, but an even better tri-tip is called a Pecanha roast. It is a sirloin cut with a fat cap. It is wonderful.

Saw that cut on a Youtube by Guga, the Brazilian dude. He champion's it. Looks good!
Posted By: tater74 Re: Smoking a tri tip - 05/20/20
Was a little store in Wellborn, Texas that served tri tip instead of brisket. Gentleman by the name of Johnnie Juneck owned it. Good eating. Got my first real Texas bbq there.
Posted By: vbshootinrange Re: Smoking a tri tip - 05/20/20
Have a tri tip marinating in DeMetries bloody Mary mix for the last two days

Cooking it in a dutch oven, on top of the stove, on low for three hours.

Did one this way a while back. Tri tip pot roast.

Turned out fork cutting tender, and Yummy!

Virgil B.
Posted By: MadMooner Re: Smoking a tri tip - 05/20/20
Tri tip can be tasty! Costco used to put out a bunch of Prime grade tri tip for pretty short money.

Definitely one cut that can have some chew to it though. Most TT roasts seem to do better MR and hotter than MR and under IME.

Looks good!
Posted By: kevinJ Re: Smoking a tri tip - 05/20/20
It’s just not something you hear of here in the east all that much honestly. Most people around here wouldn’t have a clue what it is. I tried it first time 6-8 years ago when buddy was dating girl from California. Since then I have cooked it maybe 20 times. It’s enjoyable as long as it’s not too chewy.

I still prefer brisket
Posted By: rte Re: Smoking a tri tip - 05/20/20
I thought the subject line was to tell us about a cigar.lol
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Smoking a tri tip - 05/20/20
Originally Posted by kevinJ
It’s just not something you hear of here in the east all that much honestly. Most people around here wouldn’t have a clue what it is. I tried it first time 6-8 years ago when buddy was dating girl from California. Since then I have cooked it maybe 20 times. It’s enjoyable as long as it’s not too chewy.

I still prefer brisket

Shouldn't be cooked like a brisket IMO. Tri Tip is to be cooked like steak, 135* medium rare. Briskets to 205 or so to almost fall apart. Brisket's have way more fat.
Posted By: billhilly Re: Smoking a tri tip - 05/20/20
Yep. I hang it on a barrel smoker to 135* then wrap it in foil to rest for a bit. Use the same rub I make for ribs usually. Have to go to the butcher shop to find one around here though.
Posted By: 280shooter Re: Smoking a tri tip - 05/20/20
I use salt,pepper, garlic. Traeger it more like a steak, as JGRaider mentioned. I pull it at 120. Slice thin across the grain.
Posted By: kevinJ Re: Smoking a tri tip - 05/20/20
Yea I don’t cook it like brisket, just saying I prefer brisket over it. Sorry I can see how that was confusing.

I try to bring it off the heat at 130 then wrap and throw in cooler bag. It will normally hit 135-140 like that and not get over cooked. I sear mine on direct heat first then throw on indirect ( kamado joe )

Around here have to get from Publix, or sometimes food city can get it in for me. Small butcher shop here was too hipster and went out of business quick. What kind of butcher shop sells meat substitute for crying out loud
Posted By: JGRaider Re: Smoking a tri tip - 05/20/20
Sounds good kevinj. No flies on a good brisket that's for sure.
© 24hourcampfire