Home
Just thinking about the places that sell the pre written sermons. Business must be slow for them, and a whole lot of others.

Either no work, or low prices.
You can buy sermons?

I thought that was why the preacher drew a wage?
Sermons in a can?

If I had a pastor that pumped sermons in a can, we’d can his ass.

He ought to have a feel for what is going on that week in his flock and shape his message accordingly.

I used to tell some of my students "You're too lazy to work for a living, so you'd better be a politician or a preacher!"

Jerry
Hey I’ve been looking for a new gig since retirement. I’ll do it. Send a me topic and Denomination of choice and I’ll have one banged out in an hour. I’ll start out cheap then jack up the prices once I get the flocks addicted to my sage admonishments and wise counsel...
Originally Posted by Dryfly24
Hey I’ve been looking for a new gig since retirement. I’ll do it. Send a me topic and Denomination of choice and I’ll have one banged out in an hour. I’ll start out cheap then jack up the prices once I get the flocks addicted to my sage admonishments and wise counsel...

Methodists only hire chicks.
Originally Posted by slumlord

What makes you think I’m not willing to wear a dress while I write?
Nothing
You can look it up.
I fart in your general direction?

Topic is margaritas: frozen or on the rocks?
Denomination is Jehovah's Witness
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Just thinking about the places that sell the pre written sermons. Business must be slow for them, and a whole lot of others.

Either no work, or low prices.

www.sermons.com

A very busy website on Saturday nights.

What makes you think I’m not willing to wear a dress while I write?

That would probably get you hired immediately... blush

DF
I got a custom hand written letter from some dipshît the other day.

A local missionary, a JW.

At first I thought it was ransom letter for a kidnapping.

Congrats, the J.W.'s seem to have you in their sight...

You need a bad looking dog that growls a lot...

DF
Cliff notes for sermons.
I don't know why preachers would pay money for sermons. SermonCentral.com is a site where preachers, myself included, post full manuscript sermons and anyone can read them or do whatever they want for free.

I am a bi-vocational preacher with a full-time pharmacist job, but I prepare my own sermons. It really saddens me to see full-time pastors subscribe to a service where they get a full preaching plan for the year and have little to do when preparing. I feel it is dishonest and lazy method. If I, as a bi-vo, can find time to prepare my own work, full time preachers ought to be ashamed if they don't.

For me, SermonCentral is a place where you can see how other preachers handled a passage and get some ideas and/or be spiritually fed by others since pastors don't really have a pastor.
Over the years, I've posted over 60 sermons on there and they get hundreds of views each week all over the world, including muslim countries.
I like the idea that those pastors in closed nations have access and can get ideas as they can't really openly get many resources within their country.

But me, even with my limited time, copy off a sermon and totally rip it off and present it as my own, not a chance. I may be just a jake-leg preacher, but the work I do comes from God and me.

One of my favorite quotes, though, comes from the Prince of Preachers, Adrian Rogers, when someone asked him about his sermon having the same outline they heard someone preach. He openly related that he does use outlines that other people make, but the sermon he preaches from that outline is his own. He put it this way.... "I might milk a lot of cows, but I churn my own butter."

If you've heard one sermon you've heard them all...

Kent
Originally Posted by krp
If you've heard one sermon you've heard them all...

Kent

That won't earn you any points......but so true .....
Didn't earn me any points in seminary class either.

Kent
Over the years, I've posted over 60 sermons on there and they get hundreds of views each week all over the world, including muslim countries.
There's a lot more going on in Muslim countries than people realize, mainly because it's illegal and Christians often end up dead. Missionaries are risking their lives to be there. It's not unlike the 1st century Roman empire. God does his best work where the people are in the most danger. People under stress are pulled to Him.
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

The very word .....preaching.....is enough to make you not want to listen.....bob
The pastors I know don't get to select time slots for people to get sick and/or die. I guess I could see where such a person might need a resource from time to time.

that must be their way, JW's, of dealing with covid and nobody opening the door.
i got the same type of hand written letter here in arizona last month.
Originally Posted by BobMt
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

The very word .....preaching.....is enough to make you not want to listen.....bob

Well there are many worship centers (called that because Church is so... ya know... first century) that call them “messages” for that exact reason. People are free to call them whatever they want, but words mean things and there is a reason why the historical Church has done what it’s done using the language that it’s used.

The reason traditional churches observe preached sermons is because the Bible says that God miraculously uses flawed men to call other flawed men unto Himself when His word is proclaimed. By that standard much of what people call preaching nowadays SHOULD be called delivery of a message because it comes from a man expressing opinions and doesn’t stick closely to God’s word.

You can agree or disagree with that assertion it’s obviously your right, but that’s the reason for the foreign nomenclature.
The messenger of God is the Holy Spirit, but man's ego redirects it to the pulpit... I long ago referred to a preacher as a 'suit at the pulpit' same message, interchangeable suit.

Kent
Originally Posted by krp
The messenger of God is the Holy Spirit, but man's ego redirects it to the pulpit... I long ago referred to a preacher as a 'suit at the pulpit' same message, interchangeable suit.

Kent

Clearly there are men who fit your description.

The power of the HS being what it is, there are also many who, no matter how imperfect, deliver the means of grace Lord’s Day after Lord’s Day in a humble and God-honoring way.

God provides good shepherds for His people, praise His life-giving name.
Originally Posted by efw
Originally Posted by BobMt
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

Well there are many worship centers (called that because Church is so... ya know... first century) that call them “messages” for that exact reason. People are free to call them whatever they want, but words mean things and there is a reason why the historical Church has done what it’s done using the language that it’s used.

The reason traditional churches observe preached sermons is because the Bible says that God miraculously uses flawed men to call other flawed men unto Himself when His word is proclaimed. By that standard much of what people call preaching nowadays SHOULD be called delivery of a message because it comes from a man expressing opinions and doesn’t stick closely to God’s word.

You can agree or disagree with that assertion it’s obviously your right, but that’s the reason for the foreign nomenclature.

Very well stated. Succinct.
Maybe they share sermons???
For all of you hijacking another one of the "goons" reaction seeking threads.........

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

there are a lot of "empty suits" today that don't preach the Word.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
There's a lot more going on in Muslim countries than people realize, mainly because it's illegal and Christians often end up dead. Missionaries are risking their lives to be there. It's not unlike the 1st century Roman empire. God does his best work where the people are in the most danger. People under stress are pulled to Him.

I agree. They are hungry for resources, though. I've taken 15 teams to one particular closed country and brought in many things on cds, dvds and flash drives to give to pastors there and other people.
I was a missions minister for many years before I became a pastor and am still somewhat familiar.
Originally Posted by Savage_Hunter
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

there are a lot of "empty suits" today that don't preach the Word.

That’s true, Savage and they will answer for that as we all will.
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

I figure a good preacher can just get up there and wing it. Ad lib and let the Holy Spirit take it from there.
Originally Posted by billhilly
Originally Posted by krp

Kent

I figure a good preacher can just get up there and wing it. Ad lib and let the Holy Spirit take it from there.

you would be dreadfully wrong.

The Bible demands that "we study to show ourselves approved, a workman that need not be ashamed."

I've winged it a few times. I've changed my sermon on the way to the pulpit a few times. I've completely ignored my notes a lot. But, to plan to "wing it". That would never enter my mind.

Pastors are tasked with preaching the whole counsel of God. If one were to "wing it" every Sunday, after a couple of months every sermon would sound the same.

Inspiration in the pulpit comes from perspiration in the study.
The same place that sells pastoral licenses most likely....

I'd be happy to pen you a sermon. What topic would you like me to cover?....Pride, maybe?
Originally Posted by Hotrod_Lincoln
I used to tell some of my students "You're too lazy to work for a living, so you'd better be a politician or a preacher!"

Jerry

I was too lazy to work and too scared to steal so I became a fireman.
Originally Posted by Beaver10

I'd be happy to pen you a sermon. What topic would you like me to cover?....Pride, maybe?

How’s about one on lack of pride ?
Remember the joke about the preacher that timed his sermons by slipping a mint in his mouth, when the mint was gone he'd wrap up the sermon. Then came the Sunday morning he put in a button by mistake. laugh
my wife sits on the first row and one Sunday after I'd been preaching 15 minutes she kept leaning toward me whispering to "zip it up." After the 3rd time I looked at my watch and said "It's only 10:45, I got 15 more minutes."
Then someone finally yelled out "you're pants are unzipped."

thankfully, not a true story.
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

I heard about a guy who was perfectly lacking in pride.

The people of His time killed Him.

cry
All with the same theme. Sin. I'm against it.
Originally Posted by efw
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

I heard about a guy who was perfectly lacking in pride.

The people of His time killed Him.

cry

This.
Originally Posted by 1minute
All with the same theme. Sin. I'm against it.

The sermon or the sin?
"Pride goith before a fall"/

"The wages of sin is death".
Sermons in a can?

He ought to have a feel for what is going on that week in his flock and shape his message accordingly.

I've never heard of canned sermons.

Telling people what they want to hear is not the mark of a good preacher.

I hate to hear current events from the pulpit. I get that other places.

I need more meat to chew on if I'm to come back.
Originally Posted by RickyD
Sermons in a can?

I've never heard of canned sermons.

Telling people what they want to hear is not the mark of a good preacher.

I hate to hear current events from the pulpit. I get that other places.

I need more meat to chew on if I'm to come back.

canned sermons don't indicate what type of message it is.

A canned sermon is like a canned hunt. Little effort was put into. Just let someone else do all the work and you just pull the trigger.
If it blows nobody good, I got no use for it.
Sermons in a can?

You go to church?! [bleep] me!
"Pride goith before a fall"/

"The wages of sin is death".

Sounds like lyrics from an Iron Maiden song wabi.
I don't care where, or how a minister gets a sermon, or the inspiration, if it's good, it's good.
Straight from the Good Book Jack, it can be had.
Originally Posted by deflave

Damn it! I had a similar response but decided to make sure nobody else said it before posting.

I missed my chance by 17 minutes.

FÜCK!
Originally Posted by T_Inman

Damn it! I had a similar response but decided to make sure nobody else said it before posting.

FÜCK!

What the fugking fugk! Fugk!
Straight from the Good Book Jack, it can be had.

I'd wager that you don't comprehend 2/3 of the Bible.
Originally Posted by Savage_Hunter
my wife sits on the first row and one Sunday after I'd been preaching 15 minutes she kept leaning toward me whispering to "zip it up." After the 3rd time I looked at my watch and said "It's only 10:45, I got 15 more minutes."
Then someone finally yelled out "you're pants are unzipped."

thankfully, not a true story.

But one with a predictable hook nonetheless!
Originally Posted by T_Inman

FÜCK!

What the fugking fugk! Fugk!

It would have been unconscionable for Rick to have banned you yet again, as jack scchitt mountain implied , and deprive The Campfire of such rabid innanity as you proudly and consistently display.

Simply unconscionable.

Kudos to our Host.
© 24hourcampfire