Home
Our Cedar hedge has been destroyed by Deer. A lot of plants we've purchased as "deer resistant" get eaten. Can anyone make some good recommendations? Looking to make a privacy hedge.
ANYTHING you put fertilizer on will get demolished.
Green steel?
Call The Donald. He knows how to build a hedge.
Lotsa deer repellent products on the market. Have you tried any of those yet? I once knew some folks that had good luck with one but I can't recall the name of it. Sometimes in a hard winter, starving deer will eat darn near anything ( even if it's supposedly deer resistant ), and that's when they'll even attack the shrubs around your house.
Dwarf Alberta spruce. They eat everything else around here but never touch those.
The best repellent for deer I found (besides shooting them) was discovered by accident...Thiram was used exclusively as a fungicide until it was discovered that deer found it very distasteful. A company developed and now markets it as summer spring and Winter DeerPro (the winter version leaves a blue / green tint until it wears off or it pushed back by new spring growth). The rest of the products I've tested have been hit and miss. Remember that in the growing season multiple applications are needed since protection is limited to the current growth....new tender growth pushing through is at risk if not treated.....Ask me how I know frown.
Electric fence, with folded over foil tabs every 10ft with peanut butter smeared on those foil tabs.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Electric fence, with folded over foil tabs every 10ft with peanut butter smeared on those foil tabs.

Great idea...That may keep my fat boy neighbor outta my garage.
They will respect boundaries after that. They might even be fearful of unbaited tabs after some conditioning.

Taped one end of the foil tab so that doesn’t slide along the wire as the wind blows.

Use creamy.

Save the crunchy for human consumption.
Lavendar is supposed to repel deer and elk. We planted it in our yard hoping the elk would stay further away from our trees, I could smell it 50' away and it stunk to me...They ate them down to the nubs. Then we heard that RedHot Pokers were deer /elk resistant and they were until winter and the elk ate then down to the nubs.
Has anybody mentioned pyracantha? It's like nature's barbed wire.
Put a fence around it from 1st week of Nov thru Apr. Unless it's an early winter or late spring.

No pictures available, took the fence down last month.
They will not touch oleanders
.22 LR with suppressor!
© 24hourcampfire