Home
Posted By: hanco Tree rats stealing my tomatoes - 05/19/20
Is there a way to trap the little bastards?? They take them, but can’t get them through the fence.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]best free image host
Originally Posted by hanco
Is there a way to trap the little bastards??

Rat traps with peanut butter and shelled corn for bait, make sure you tie the trap down
.22 CB caps.

I grew weary of trying to trap them. Set a leopard blind like in Zambia over bait. Got 4 in one afternoon!
When I say tree rats, I’m talking squirrels 🐿
12 pack of beer, corn pile

Cmon Hanco, you got this 😃😃😃
28 ga works for the ones that were stealing my peaches
Originally Posted by slumlord
12 pack of beer, corn pile

Cmon Hanco, you got this 😃😃😃

I ain’t retired yet
Can't you just use a helicopter and machine guns ? I mean you are in Texas after all.
Rat pizon works best or so i've heard/read .

I shot every one i saw w/a pellet gun when i found one of them had been chewing on the wiring of my r1 , took joy in it .
Destructive little varmints that only get worse .
Is there a way to trap the little bastards?? They take them, but can’t get them through the fence.

if you've got tomatoes that size already you can afford to be taxed a bit by the resident tree rats!
Originally Posted by hatari
.22 CB caps.

I grew weary of trying to trap them. Set a leopard blind like in Zambia over bait. Got 4 in one afternoon!

Sheesh. Squirrel stew with fried green tomatoes.

Tha mater looks good for ageing a bit in the kitchen window.
I use the double barrel 20 gauge and #8.
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

Little hard on the plants eh? grin
Originally Posted by 257_X_50
28 ga works for the ones that were stealing my peaches

It's obvious from this thread, the US ain't China.

I wish I had a bowl of my grandmothers squirrel and rice. A few yellow, round egg yolks for some flavour and color, sprinkled over with coarse grind pepper. It takes some doing, to get much better.
Maybe an electric fence would keep them out?

I hate it when an 8 gets wedged between 2 teeth. It hurts like hell by daylight. Dentists love them.
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

if you've got tomatoes that size already you can afford to be taxed a bit by the resident tree rats!

Is that jealousy or envy i smell ? smile

Hanco - you have nothing but time on your hands - the juke joints are closed down [RONA] so you can't be out shakin a leg and knocking back a cold one with the wife unit . Go bill murray/cadishack on'em . yeah .
No. 1 single-spring or coil spring. They'll walk right into it.

A friend would set them and lay them long the edge of his cabin roof at fish camp. Late in the evening sitting around the fire you'd hear a metallic SNAP! and rattling chain.
Originally Posted by jaguartx

I hate it when an 8 gets wedged between 2 teeth. It hurts like hell by daylight. Dentists love them.

My shîts tight, you must have some of them Stacy Abramama teefesez laugh
I live in a suburban neighborhood and can't be shooting shotguns in my backyard.

But I do have a Red Ryder that will leave a severe bruise.

#1's on top of a corn feeder catch a lot of squirrels . If it's a crow its brothers and sisters will hang around long enough to lower their numbers . . . ... ...
I have a couple 110 conibear traps in the back on an oak tree by the garden. Baited with a couple whole peanuts. I have caught over a dozen since the beginning of May.

Tails are salted for Mepps lure program. The dressed and skinned squirrels take a 15 minute sauna in the Instant Pot for fall off the bone goodness.
I suggest the the larger rat traps and tie them down.

LOL That might be fun!
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

LOL That might be fun!

Originally Posted by chlinstructor

LOL That might be fun!

That looks like fun
Originally Posted by ol_mike
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

Is that jealousy or envy i smell ? smile

Hanco - you have nothing but time on your hands - the juke joints are closed down [RONA] so you can't be out shakin a leg and knocking back a cold one with the wife unit . Go bill murray/cadishack on'em . yeah .

I’m building a bunch of deer lease crap right now. I ain’t got time to sit out there.
I was thinking I should put some Sevin Dust on them. They might not like the taste of it.
Need ta do some ethnic cleansing ops on em .
They young will be learning from mom and dad soon how to raid the garden.
A Hornady 22mag 31g. Good one shot kills out to 100yards.
#110 conibears and pellet guns.
Originally Posted by renegade50

I don’t want to hear that !
We use Havahart traps and relocate them about 5 miles from here in a large wooded area that's great squirrel habitat. I may be doing squirrel hunters a favor. Apple slices make good bait. I once used a .22 cal. Benjamin Trail pellet gun out to about 20 yds. on 'em but the wife wants me to be more humane.
I have squirrels at my place (usually very briefly) but to the best of my knowledge the only sfuff they've gone after is pine cones and black walnuts; never tomatoes (green at that) or peaches.
I had the same problem a couple years ago with my Romas. I'd walk around the corner of my house and they'd start yapping like I was invading THEIR garden! They'd hang on the screen of my patio and make a racket not 4' from me when I'd be out there picking. Pretty ballsy.

Some determined work with a CO2 bb gun that runs 450 fps put the kibosh on their party. Next assignment was the blackbirds.
Originally Posted by renegade50

I don’t want to hear that !

You want to throw the dead squirrels in the back of the yard. It will bring in other predator hunters, hawks, owls... The scent from the new predators will protect your property from new squirrels entering. The squirrels follow scent trails looking for food that another squirrel might have dropped or hid.
When I say tree rats, I’m talking squirrels 🐿
They make a very fine tasting stew.... Consider..
Never had that problem with squill, but foxes were another story. I put plastic mesh around and over the plants and hung about a dozen cocked mouse traps. I had the finest collection of fox hair you ever saw. And ‘maters.

You need a smaller mesh wire, around and over.

the little buggers will nab them just as they start turning red... many a squirrel Armageddon has begun over it too....

I like Redneck’s idea, but when you cook’ em, use a tomato based sauce!
They like my strawberries, 10/22 is my preferred method.
Just seen two along the creek bank,while I was on the deck in the hot tub. Need to take the deuce-deuce out there with my towel

Killin varmints while nudie butt.

Be a good thread
Originally Posted by Morewood
I live in a suburban neighborhood and can't be shooting shotguns in my backyard.

But I do have a Red Ryder that will leave a severe bruise.

I shot a tree rat that was raiding my bird feeder with a BB gun, shot to scare & deter him. Must have hit him in the earhole or something. I killed the SOB and couldn't find a hole in it anywhere....another one of natures mysteries.
The Golden BB
This kind of behavior is caused by a severe lead deficiency. Just sayin'.
If you are worried about neighbors seeing your 110s or other critters getting in them, use a weasel box.
© 24hourcampfire