Home
Posted By: persiandog does wearing mask works ? - 05/19/20

I don't think so . if you fart thru 4 layers of clothing , somehow we can smell it and fart molecules are much larger than viruses smile

Serious question. How big is a fart molecule?
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: does wearing mask works ? - 05/19/20
Originally Posted by smokepole

Hard to say.
They go through underwear and bluejeans quite well, but coveralls seem to funnel them up to your nose.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: does wearing mask works ? - 05/19/20
The only thing the mask helps with is being sneezed on, coughed on or otherwise spit on. Then you have to remove the mask and replace it immediately.

Far more important is what you touch.

Saw a funny one last night, a drive-through graduation ceremony. The principal, wearing a mask and surgical gloves, was handing diplomas to the kids as they drove by. And he shook hands with each one of them, never once changing gloves! laugh

it is possible to measure H2S and other sulphur compounds , from web :

Placed under the microscope, even the dullest grain of sand develops a personality. So it goes with farts. (Or “flatulence,” as they say in the scientific literature.) Farts may seem largely interchangeable, but each one is special. Even just your own farts are a circus sideshow of intestinal gas: big ones, little ones, stinky ones, oddly fresh ones. There is not enough scientific evidence to say that no two farts are alike — but you can rest assured that they are a riot of diversity.

As a result, it’s impossible to say exactly how much space a generic fart takes up in the body. I can, however, tell you about the range of specific farts, as captured in scientific experiments. For instance, a 1997 study of 16 Americans found a volume-per-fart range of 17 milliliters to 375 milliliters.1 Imagine a bottle of nail polish — that’s a rough analogy for the volume of the daintiest of poots. Now imagine a can of soda. That’s the volume of a really big stinker. Your body is a wonderland.

But there are another couple of questions floating around this data. First, obviously, “How does one collect a fart?” And I’ll get to that in a bit. But second, and perhaps more important, is this: “Why study the gas volume of farts?” That’s a really interesting question if for no other reason than the fact that Dr. Michael Levitt, a researcher at Minneapolis Veterans Affairs and the grande sieur of fart research, doesn’t think there’s much value to the data. “It’s just physiological fact,” he told me. It’s interesting to know the volume of a fart, but it doesn’t have a lot of deeper meaning.

more : https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...bottle-of-nail-polish-and-a-can-of-soda/
I'm not smart enough to figure out if masks work, or how well thay work. But then again few people are, especially on here.

But you do know that they don't have to catch single molecules, right?
Originally Posted by WYcoyote

Hard to say.
They go through underwear and bluejeans quite well, but coveralls seem to funnel them up to your nose.

Chest waders are the absolute worst.
What you smell from a fart is methane, which is a gas.
Posted By: rj112275 Re: does wearing mask works ? - 05/19/20
If masks alone worked well against viruses, then why are all the CDC and researchers wearing full HAZMAT suits? I'm pretty sure that my homemade bandana mask is fine.
I was waiting in line at the post office in my town the other day. In my county, you are required to wear a mask in public indoor spaces. The woman in front of me was wearing hers, but periodically would pull it down to wipe her nose, then pull it back up again. This after using her hand to open to door to enter the post office, and then again to open the inner door to the counter area. She had no concern about what her hands were contacting, and no concern about contacting her nose with those hands. I bet she catches every cold and flu that's going around.
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Methane is odorless.
Posted By: kingston Re: does wearing mask works ? - 05/19/20

Methane is odorless.

OMG
Shocking but true.

"My farts don't stink."

Methane is odorless.

Correct. Which is why mercaptan is added to nat gas.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: does wearing mask works ? - 05/19/20

Hard to say.

The disposable paper coveralls I used to keep the grease and crap of my clothes while cleaning equipment did a fairly good job of funneling too.
Shocking but true.

"My farts don't stink."

Mine smell like roses.............

or so I've been telling the wife for 15 years or so.
Ethyl Mercaptan to be exact.

H2S and Skatole.

DF
Originally Posted by Valsdad

Hard to say.

The disposable paper coveralls I used to keep the grease and crap of my clothes while cleaning equipment did a fairly good job of funneling too.

Bed sheets too.
In all those old western movies, the bad guys always wore a mask while robbing stagecoaches.
Had to wear one at the Dr office the other day. Sitting there waiting for my next "test", look over, there's an old gal with a paper towel hanging from the bridge of her nose from a strip of "Scotch tape".

Me, I was in full "save me from The Corona" mode. Safety glasses and all.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Officer to witness:

"mam, can you identify the perpatrator?"

I went to high school with ethyl.
Shocking but true.

"My farts don't stink."

Mine smell like roses.............

or so I've been telling the wife for 15 years or so.

Y'all do play "turtle"?

You both get under the sheets, someone farts.

The first one to stick a head out from under the sheet in the "turtle"...

Check it out. She may like it, although I haven't had success at my house... blush

DF

Hard to say.

Bed sheets too.

Specially 1000 TPI satin ones!

Could make a parachute or dirigible outa them things.
Originally Posted by ironbender

cousins
methyl, cetyl, and propyl too?
Posted By: kingston Re: does wearing mask works ? - 05/19/20
Bed sheets too.

Down comforters—the gift that keeps on giving.
Originally Posted by ironbender

Me too. Took her out to a little Mexican place. Once.
Wearing masks works best for robbing gas stations.
Posted By: Prwlr Re: does wearing mask works ? - 05/19/20

Nope, methane is clear and odorless (Wiki) which is why natural gas has Mercapton added to it so it can be smelled.
Posted By: victoro Re: does wearing mask works ? - 05/19/20
I don't think it helps unless you're around known sick people. I any don't believe that people with no symptoms can spread this virus. If I have a slight fever, a cough, sneezing, headache, diarrhea, or minor sore throat I'm keeping my ass at home. The N95 masks that the healthcare are supposed to wear block 95% of vapors and I see healthcare workers that aren't even wearing the mask properly. When I spray automotive paint (that can kill me) I wear a mask that's rated N100, goggles and a paint suit to keep the paint off my skin.

I just got my first haircut since Feb 8 and I asked the barber if he wanted me to wear my mask when I walked in. He said he did because he would get shut down if he got caught cutting a customer's hair if him and the customer weren't both wearing masks. I wore my N95 mask (my paint mask covers up to much of my head) and he wore a cheap mask of some kind. He's a good barber but I was amazed that he was able to give me a good haircut with 2 elastic straps around my head.

I ate Mexican food and had a Margarita with a friend last week for the first time since this fake lockdown. The waitress was hot, and the food was great (plenty of it). I gave her a big tip. As far as I am concerned this circus needs to end right now!
Posted By: Dutch Re: does wearing mask works ? - 05/19/20
The three rules to know when working on the fish farm:

Water runs downhill.
Payday is on Friday
Don’t fart in your waders.

Fish don’t wear masks....
Originally Posted by Dutch
The three rules to know when working on the fish farm:

Water runs downhill.
Payday is on Friday
Don’t fart in your waders.

Fish don’t wear masks....

My father taught me the plumbers' rules, Very similar but they contain an important line you forgot.

Scheidt runs downhill

Payday is on friday.

Always wash your hands before lunch.

And ...........

The boss is an [bleep]!

Geno

PS I know, you're the boss.............so you likely knew that already. grin

PPS hope your shipping some more product now, too
Originally Posted by Prwlr

Nope, methane is clear and odorless (Wiki) which is why natural gas has Mercapton added to it so it can be smelled.

Good to know!
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
Wearing masks works best for robbing gas stations.

And convenience stores. I call it my 7-11 charge card.
*NO*
The masks we are all so dutifully wearing - whether commercial or home-made - are just about useless for stopping airborne virus. That goes for incoming as well as outgoing particles. That's because none of those masks seal airtight. That's why your glasses fog - your exhale is escaping unfiltered. So does the inhale.

We wear them because we are told to, because we will be denied service if we don't, or because we simply don't know any better. But not because they actually work.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
The masks we are all so dutifully wearing - whether commercial or home-made - are just about useless for stopping airborne virus. That goes for incoming as well as outgoing particles. That's because none of those masks seal airtight. That's why your glasses fog - your exhale is escaping unfiltered. So does the inhale.

We wear them because we are told to, because we will be denied service if we don't, or because we simply don't know any better. But not because they actually work.

The same reason I slip on a pair of sandals when I get out of the car to go in the store.

(in many states there really is no LAW requiring shirts and shoes to go in the store)

Yep.

More of a control issue than a good public health issue.

DF
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer

Yep.

More of a control issue than a good public health issue.

DF

Agree, my sunglasses fog every time I put a mask on. They don't work.
Posted By: Squidge Re: does wearing mask works ? - 05/19/20
I'll be the odd man out and say yes, wearing masks can help reduce the rate of transmission of C19. Not all masks are created equal, some do a pretty good job helping the infected keep their germs to themselves, others are worthless in that regard.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/19/cor...ssion-by-75percent-new-study-claims.html

Experiments by a team in Hong Kong found that the coronavirus’ transmission rate via respiratory droplets or airborne particles dropped by as much as 75% when surgical masks were used.

“The findings implied to the world and the public is that the effectiveness of mask-wearing against the coronavirus pandemic is huge,” Dr. Yuen Kwok-yung, a leading microbiologist from Hong Kong University who helped discover the SARS virus in 2003, said Sunday.

“Transmission can be reduced by 50 (percentage points) when surgical masks are used, especially when masks are worn by infected individuals,” he said.
It might be successfully argued that the glass-fogging masks cause actually means you have just blown possibly infected air into your eyes - a distinctly counterproductive result.
You would need a zero bypass mask, goggles, and earplugs.
Posted By: sse Re: does wearing mask works ? - 05/19/20
Sure I want to use a mask all day going into and out of public locations, touching all matter of objects, then adjusting and putting the mask, taking it off, in and out of the car, yada yada. This will introduce far more risk of germs and bacteria than not having one at all. This is actually a dangerous practice, trapping contagion on your face and holding it there until it has a chance to infect you.

Now, if I were a nurse who had dozens of quality masks to use and discard every day, that might be safer. But these people going around with rags wrapped around their faces? Not sensible, logical or scientific, just stupid.
There is a fine line between individual freedom and keeping your germs to yourself and not spreading them around in public.

[Linked Image from i.redd.it]
Posted By: Slavek Re: does wearing mask works ? - 05/19/20
Originally Posted by persiandog

I don't think so . if you fart thru 4 layers of clothing , somehow we can smell it and fart molecules are much larger than viruses smile

If you worried about farts please wear 3M R95 mask. The Asians have handled the virus better than most western countries and almost all wear masks when out in public. If you wear mask while inside of buildings or on busy sidewalks and keep appropriate distance you are contributing in returning the country to normal. Please wear mask.
Originally Posted by Slavek
Please wear mask.

I wore an Avon FM53 last time I went to the grocery store. Had it on for most of the drive there until I got back in my truck. I wore a different one the previous trip...a 3M one I think.

How many social credits do I receive for going so far over and above?
Wondering how my otherwise useless dog could find a favorite pine stick in 13 inches of wet snow a while back, I did some reading on the transmission of scent. Almost all of it was over my head of course, the dog understood even less, as I was reading aloud. Anyway, I guess substances emit molecules of the volatiles contained therein and when those diffused floating molecules come in contact with receptor membranes...bingo, that fires electrical impulses to the brain, assuming we have one, and we get the message. And so the dog finds the coke, body, bomb, stick, what have you. Note to self...use the bathroom fan aggressively, roll down the window when you fart. Obviously masks do not do much for particles at the molecular level.
Speaking of dogs....my dog's farts would go through 10 N95 mask! And still cause you to pass out!
Posted By: Terryk Re: does wearing mask works ? - 05/19/20
Short answer is no.
Virus is about 100 nanometers, and the spacing on the threads of a mask may be 5 microns at best. Kinds like and open doorway keeping a fly out of the house.
The virus also enters through the eyes, and goes to the lungs through the nasal cavity. So again mask does not prevent that.
Virus particles or wet packets of virus juice stay aloft like perfume. Some of the smaller packets stay suspended for hours and some say days, and again these go through masks. So mask may reduce larger spit globs of virus, and that is good, but the smaller particles have free roam. Masks are simply not effective based on the size and mobility of a virus.
Posted By: victoro Re: does wearing mask works ? - 05/19/20
"Experiments by a team in Hong Kong found that the coronavirus’ transmission rate via respiratory droplets or airborne particles dropped by AS MUCH AS 75% when surgical masks were used."

Have you been outside? NOBODY is wearing surgical masks. I got a haircut and went to the skin Doc to get some stuff frozen off and I was the only one wearing an N95 mask. The Doc and nurses said they couldn't find any. They were basically wearing rags on their faces. So in your mind 25% or more of airborne particles won't make you sick.
Lots of folks are wearing surgical masks here while shopping. My wife said the the grocery store was selling 50 packs of surgical masks last time she went shopping, $ 35 if I remember right.
"Experiments by a team in Hong Kong found that the coronavirus’ transmission rate via respiratory droplets or airborne particles dropped by AS MUCH AS 75% when surgical masks were used."

that was in rats, i'm not a rat, at least not literally
Hamsters actually.

Hamsters have very similar enzyme receptors to humans, which is why they were chosen as the test animals for Yuen’s experiment.

“Up to this stage, we do not have a safe and effective vaccine. What remains practical is still either social-distancing measures or wearing masks,” Yuen added.
Depends on how ugly she is.

Must have been said by now. But too big an opening to let pass by. smirk
Originally Posted by Squidge
Hamsters actually.

Hamsters have very similar enzyme receptors to humans, which is why they were chosen as the test animals for Yuen’s experiment.

“Up to this stage, we do not have a safe and effective vaccine. What remains practical is still either social-distancing measures or wearing masks,” Yuen added.

not one of them either
Posted By: mtnsnake Re: does wearing mask works ? - 05/19/20
No....
Posted By: 700LH Re: does wearing mask works ? - 05/19/20

Bingo, Rocky nails it again.
That's several times lately.
Seems the mask has become the badge of conformity. I wear one at the grocery store. Seems the polite and P.C. thing to do.

I'm using surgical masks, not as good as the elusive n-95 Find one of those...

I use hand sanitizer and or gloves. It's sorta a statement more than anything. Shows I really care...

Yuck.

It is what it is.

DF
© 24hourcampfire