Home
Posted By: gregintenn Cody Wyoming - 05/20/20
We have a trip booked to go there next month. I was wondering what to expect. Is most everything going to be open?
Posted By: efw Re: Cody Wyoming - 05/20/20
I don’t think Wyoming had a shutdown at all?
Posted By: Hotrod_Lincoln Re: Cody Wyoming - 05/20/20
It was a great place to visit when we traveled through about 10 years ago- - - -no idea about now. If the Buffalo Bill museum is open, schedule at least two days if you want to see all five sections. The 5,000+ item gun collection alone will take most of a day.
Jerry
Posted By: Salmonella Re: Cody Wyoming - 05/20/20
A history of Cody's main drag.

Posted By: rong Re: Cody Wyoming - 05/20/20
+1 on the museum
My middle son and myself were like kids in a candy store in there,the rest of my family practically ran thru it.
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Cody Wyoming - 05/20/20
As far as a "shutdown" they sort of claimed we didn't but restaurants were open for take out only, schools closed, elective procedures at hospitals. no out of state fishing licenses for sale, out of state visitors had to self quarantine, no camping at state parks, Buffalo Bill Museum and YNP were closed, etc etc etc.
Sounded pretty closed to me.
Now state parks are open for resident camping by reservation only, restaurants are open with limitations, YNP and Buffalo Bill Museum are partially open.

In a month who knows?
Posted By: saddlering Re: Cody Wyoming - 05/20/20
On my Bucket List!
Posted By: hanco Re: Cody Wyoming - 05/20/20
Us like to go sometime, see all the guns!
Posted By: mudhen Re: Cody Wyoming - 05/20/20
One of my favorite places to visit. I have learned that it is a mistake to plan that you're only going to be there for a day or two.
Posted By: efw Re: Cody Wyoming - 05/20/20
I bet these folks could answer your general wiuestions about what’s open:

https://www.codychamber.org/
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: Cody Wyoming - 05/20/20
Everything down south in Cheyenne is pretty much open again. If you manage to get to Cody, it may be the best opportunity ever to be there during peak season with lower numbers of tourists. We are thinking about going to Yellowstone and Cody during July, something we never would do in a "normal" year.
Posted By: KC Re: Cody Wyoming - 05/20/20
Originally Posted by rong
+1 on the museum
My middle son and myself were like kids in a candy store in there,the rest of my family practically ran thru it.

+2 on the museum, two days min.

The Irma Hotel.

Also check to see what events are happening at Stampede Park.
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: Cody Wyoming - 05/20/20
Cody is a cool place! The Buffalo Bill Museum requires at least a 2 day minimum!
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Cody Wyoming - 05/20/20
Thanks, guys! I guess I'll take a gamble and go. I was mulling over whether or not to cancel.
Posted By: Partagas Re: Cody Wyoming - 05/20/20
Yes everything is pretty much open here. Restaurants are limited capacity and I imagine the same with the museum etc. I know they are trying to decide how they are going to do the rodeo and other events. I would check with the Chamber of commerce like was suggested above.
Posted By: 280Rem1 Re: Cody Wyoming - 05/20/20
Did Wyoming lift the 14 day quarantine for out of stater's entering the state?
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Cody Wyoming - 05/20/20
My wife spoke with a guy at the hotel where we are going to stay. She was hppay with what he told her, so we’re going.
Posted By: devnull Re: Cody Wyoming - 05/20/20
No better museum than the one in Cody in my opinion.
Posted By: Robster Re: Cody Wyoming - 05/21/20
Stop at the Bill Cody Ranch between Cody and Yellowstone and take a horseback ride. Phenomenal scenery, a great ride!!
Posted By: Cheyenne Re: Cody Wyoming - 05/21/20
Originally Posted by 280Rem1

It expired days ago.
Posted By: 06hunter59 Re: Cody Wyoming - 05/21/20
Another vote for the Museum. 2 days minimum!
Nothing short of magnificent!
I dont know where you're coming from or where you're heading, but the Little Big Horn battlefield isn't too awful far from Cody and another magnificent don't miss place to see!
Enjoy!
Posted By: 06hunter59 Re: Cody Wyoming - 05/21/20
I dont know where you're coming from or where you're heading, but the Little Big Horn battlefield isn't too awful far from Cody and another magnificent don't miss place to see!
Enjoy!
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Cody Wyoming - 05/21/20
Originally Posted by Robster
Stop at the Bill Cody Ranch between Cody and Yellowstone and take a horseback ride. Phenomenal scenery, a great ride!!

I hate horses. Thanks for the recommendation anyway.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Cody Wyoming - 05/21/20
Originally Posted by 06hunter59
Enjoy!

Got a car rented with unlimited miles. We’ll look for it if time allows.
Posted By: lvmiker Re: Cody Wyoming - 05/21/20
The North Fork of the Shoshone enroute to Yellowstone is a critter lookers paradise, especially in the spring. It is lined w/ great hikes, start w/ Elk Creek. The museum is great for rainy days. Drink at the Irma and dine at the Proud Cut. Saturday night at Cassie's is as good as it gets. I love Cody.

mike r
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Cody Wyoming - 05/21/20
If you go on a bicycle be sure to visit Yellowstone through West Yellowstone and approach Cody from the west over Sylvan Pass.

If you try do do it the other way it would be a grinding sixty mile climb to the top of that pass from Cody into the prevailing winds, which means ya ain’t gonna make it in one day which also means you’ll be stopping overnight in some random location in griz country.

Sure glad I did it from the west. Anyhow en route as mentioned is Buffalo Bill Cody’s Pahaska place just downhill from the park gates. The restaurant there is pretty good and reasonably priced.
Posted By: LeroyBeans Re: Cody Wyoming - 05/21/20
Where is your next ride?
Posted By: MIKEWERNER Re: Cody Wyoming - 05/21/20
Check the Irma for the afternoon gunfights.
They used to be free, but last September there was a small fee per seat.

They have side shows at the museum. Indian dancing and similar. 2 days.

There is a visitor center at the dam. Movie of the dam being built.

We fished the reservoir from shore, caught a few yellow perch.

Never timed it right for the rodeo park.

Originally Posted by KC
Originally Posted by rong
+1 on the museum

+2 on the museum, two days min.

The Irma Hotel.

Also check to see what events are happening at Stampede Park.

Posted By: sactoller Re: Cody Wyoming - 05/21/20
Originally Posted by Salmonella
A history of Cody's main drag.

Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: Gristle Re: Cody Wyoming - 05/21/20
Go to the nightly rodeo. Drive up to Little Bighorn. You can make that in a long day and back drive.

Scheels in Billings was pretty impressive for hunting stuff and an indoor ferris wheel.
Posted By: Birdwatcher Re: Cody Wyoming - 05/21/20
Originally Posted by LeroyBeans
Where is your next ride?

Dunno, I was thinking a shorter 650 mile ride from here to Cloudcroft, Ruidoso and Capitan. The 200 mile stretch via Artesia from Hatch to Cloudcroft could be tough, but people do it.

OTOH I now have three dogs in the house plus a possible litter of pups, and also I gotta spare time and money to go see my mom and kin up in NY State this summer, might not attempt a long ride again until next year..
Posted By: OSU_Sig Re: Cody Wyoming - 05/21/20
Originally Posted by 280Rem1

I hope this has been lifted. Anyone have an update?
Posted By: Salmonella Re: Cody Wyoming - 05/21/20
Of course tye BBHC and the Irma steal the show in Cody, but check out...

The Dug Up Gun Museum.

https://www.codydugupgunmuseum.com/gallery.html

Old Trail Town

https://www.oldtrailtown.org/

There is a phenomenal taxidermist in Cody.
Dawayne Dewey.
He mounts some of the world's greatest wild sheep trophies.
Take a tour.

https://deweywildlife.com/wild-sheep-lifesize-mounts/

Take a drive along the Shoshone river...you wont regret it...North Fork or South Fork.
Clark's Fork too if you can find a day when the wind ain't trying to tear your skin off...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Cody is one of my favorite places.
Posted By: WYcoyote Re: Cody Wyoming - 05/21/20
Chief Joseph Scenic Highway + Dead Indian Pass + Cooke City + Beartooth Pass + Red Lodge Mt + Bear Creek + Clarks Fork Canyon near Clark.

If you have a day to take a sightseeing drive, definitely take this loop.
Posted By: oldtrapper Re: Cody Wyoming - 05/21/20
Had a great time in Cody at the centennial reenactment of the Wild West Show. Just might be my favorite town, period.
Posted By: Salmonella Re: Cody Wyoming - 05/21/20
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
Had a great time in Cody at the centennial reenactment of the Wild West Show. Just might be my favorite town, period.

Yep.
Posted By: jnyork Re: Cody Wyoming - 05/21/20
Originally Posted by WYcoyote
Chief Joseph Scenic Highway + Dead Indian Pass + Cooke City + Beartooth Pass + Red Lodge Mt + Bear Creek + Clarks Fork Canyon near Clark.

If you have a day to take a sightseeing drive, definitely take this loop.

Absolutely do not miss this. A week in Cody is not long enough to do justice to all the things there are to see and do there, 2 or 3 days you will run yourself ragged and just skim the top. Book the Irma Hotel early, you are going in tourist season and things get crowded. Hope you have a great trip.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Cody Wyoming - 05/30/20
Well the cork suckers at United Airlines cancelled our flight yesterday. This was not the fault of Travelocity, but Travelocity does not make it easy to try and get a refund. I will remember this.
Posted By: TrueGrit Re: Cody Wyoming - 05/30/20
That's a shame.
© 24hourcampfire