Home
Posted By: Old_Toot Stock Market Gurus - 05/21/20
What’s happening with the market?

I’m thinking that we’ve seen the lows, have had no especially strong Covid reoccurrences (yet), businesses are reopening, stimulus is being applied abroad,,,all in all, I’m feeling good about the intermediate future.

Y’all’s thoughts on it ?
Thanks.
Posted By: ChuckKY Re: Stock Market Gurus - 05/21/20
In March I was down $120,000 from start of February. I moved everything into the most "risky investment " I was in at the time, Fidelity Growth Fund. As of tonight I've made that money back up plus $20,000. At first a lot of sleepless nights for me reconsidering my investments, but than just said if you're going to play with fire you might as well get hold of the hot end of the stick. Not sure what the future holds, but I'm thinking I'll just hold the course till at least closer to elections and try to figure out what is going to happen in November. I think that will be the big market mover one way or the other. Let me qualify that by stating I'm no guru with the market, wish I was. I'm just stubborn.
Posted By: tdbob Re: Stock Market Gurus - 05/21/20
Just playing it by ear. Sold a bunch of stocks recently because they looked toppy. Made a bunch by doing so. I've expanded what I'm looking at. Everything right now is just a trade. I might reacquire some of the stocks I've sold. One day at a time.
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: Stock Market Gurus - 05/21/20
How long ago did I tell you all to start buying?
Posted By: hanco Re: Stock Market Gurus - 05/21/20
Buy now, getting ready to move up quickly.
Posted By: plainsman456 Re: Stock Market Gurus - 05/21/20
Not a guru but i think it is going to go a bunch more.

There will be some folks selling off stuff short term trying to make that dollar now but i think it won't last long.

We lost only 12,000 in the first quarter so it was not that bad.

It's already gone past that now.

Them Fidelity folks know what they are doing for sure.
Posted By: xarcher Re: Stock Market Gurus - 05/21/20
Got out when things started to get crazy. Got back in about 3 weeks ago. Up 6% YTD. Market YTD is about 10% off. As long as I am beating the market I’m satisfied. Not a guru either.
Posted By: prplbkrr Re: Stock Market Gurus - 05/21/20
Pro sports are on hold, Las Vegas is closed, planes are nearly empty, 33,000,000 out of work. This up-tic in the market is because of the gov't subsidy/bailout. A Hail Mary to (hopefully) keep the economy afloat.

When the earnings reports come out in July, we will see the real economic damage. Be prepared for a market "correction".

It will be ugly. (I truly hope I am wrong)

I am not a Market Guru, nor did I stay at Holiday Inn Express last night.
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: Stock Market Gurus - 05/21/20
This was your clue it was time to buy.

Notice the date on the OP:

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...trillion-dollars-bought-you#Post14710667
Posted By: Dutch Re: Stock Market Gurus - 05/21/20
We’re not done with volatility yet by a long shot. There will be other buying opportunities.
Posted By: FoxTrotter Re: Stock Market Gurus - 05/21/20
My option is that the market is overvalued right now, I sold some of my tech stocks a little early and I can't believe people keep buying at this level.
I'm normally a bull on the market but not now. The next quarter earnings are going to be bad. I'll buy back into software and tech on a pull back.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: Stock Market Gurus - 05/21/20
Originally Posted by FoxTrotter
My option is that the market is overvalued right now, I sold some of my tech stocks a little early and I can't believe people keep buying at this level.
I'm normally a bull on the market but not now. The next quarter earnings are going to be bad. I'll buy back into software and tech on a pull back.

Good points. Tech is on a tear lately.

I’m thinking most investors have already priced into the market the issue of earnings taking a hit in the coming quarter. Pretty much a known and a given.

We’ll see.
Posted By: gregintenn Re: Stock Market Gurus - 05/21/20
Who the hell knows? I suggest investing a set amount each month into index funds. I believe the technical term for this is “dollar cost averaging”. It works for me, and I don’t have to fret about trying to time the market.
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Stock Market Gurus - 05/21/20
Originally Posted by gregintenn
Who the hell knows? I suggest investing a set amount each month into index funds. I believe the technical term for this is “dollar cost averaging”. It works for me, and I don’t have to fret about trying to time the market.

It's what I do, that and try to maintain a 70% stock 30% bond mix so I don't get burned so bad when the bottom falls out.
Originally Posted by Pat85

It's what I do, that and try to maintain a 70% stock 30% bond mix so I don't get burned so bad when the bottom falls out.

Good procedure for the long haul. It just works.

I’ve never been able to convince myself to buy bonds. I do have money in savings accounts and cds. I guess that’s a similar approach.

I’ve never been able to convince myself to buy bonds. I do have money in savings accounts and cds. I guess that’s a similar approach.

Maybe a Total Index Bond Fund ?
Originally Posted by Old_Toot

I don’t see the advantage over a cd.
Posted By: Stormin_Norman Re: Stock Market Gurus - 05/21/20
Originally Posted by FoxTrotter

I'm in this camp, the PE of the market is crazy right now and I have a hard time believing it will stay these levels for an extended period. One thing that's changed is the low bond yields forcing money more into stocks. 1.5%-2% isn't keeping up with inflation. I'm thinking it's going to be a tough fall for the markets but we have probably seen the lows with all the QE.

My only investment right now is cash and gold. I'll probably start looking at realestate again next winter.
Posted By: cfran Re: Stock Market Gurus - 05/21/20

If interest rates go up then it’ll put pressure on bonds. At current interest rates, massive deficit spending, inflation looming I wouldn’t not be investing in bonds, at least longer maturities. No thanks.
Posted By: Pat85 Re: Stock Market Gurus - 05/21/20

About a 3% return.

About a 3% return.

Is that after Fund (s) expenses?
© 24hourcampfire