Home
Posted By: RockyRaab Today's Manned Launch Update - 05/27/20
The SpaceX launch of two astronauts aboard a Dragon crew capsule is on track for a 4:33 pm Eastern liftoff. The rocket is in good shape, with no mechanical issues being worked, and the weather may be acceptable for launch. The astronauts are now suiting up and will board the Dragon in a little while. After they are sealed in, there will be final "Go-NO GO" polls and fueling will commence about 45 minutes before liftoff.

Numerous places to watch this historic event: NASA TV, History Channel, Discovery Channel, and at spacex.com.
Sweet we should have been here years ago ! Tnx Rocky
If thunderstorms delay today's launch, the next window is on Saturday.
Posted By: JeffA Re: Today's Manned Launch Update - 05/27/20
So at this point do ya think a used proven rocket would be more reliable than a new one outta the box?
This looks like a live youtube feed to watch:

Posted By: hanco Re: Today's Manned Launch Update - 05/27/20
🔥
Where is the crew headed for Rocky?
Spacestation
Goal today is to get out of the Russian Uber to space business.
Posted By: KC Re: Today's Manned Launch Update - 05/27/20

Can we get a launch clock please?
Hey Rock,

Nobody's making fun of your nerd hobby today my friend.

Hope she's a GO!

God bless America.
Originally Posted by KC

Can we get a launch clock please?

It's set for 4:33 Eastern
Posted By: Pugs Re: Today's Manned Launch Update - 05/27/20
We'll see. Weather at the cape right now

KTTS 271856Z AUTO 00000KT 7SM RA BKN047 23/22 A2996 RMK AO2 LTG DSNT E AND S TSE32 SLP150 P0010 T02300216 $

Winds calm

Visibility 7 sm

Clouds (AGL) Broken 4,700'

Moderate Rain
There are about a gazillion weather constraints for a launch like this. Cumulus rule, cloud thickness rule, rain rule, wind rules, lightning rule, seastate rules - all the way from Florida to Ireland! There are even proton flux rules from solar wind.
I hope this is a go for today. Its gonna be cool but NOTHING was or is as cool as watching a Saturn V rocket lift off from the launch pad. In my mind its mans greatest accomplishment ever.
Thanks yet again Rocky....... I always try to catch those things, ever since grammar school in the early 60's when they would arrange for a parent to show up at school with a portable TV so a class of 45-48 kids and sister Mary Whats-her-Name could see those early launches on a small set. I think it those were the first time in school history that any television was ever in that building. Although when John Glenn orbited the earth in Feb. 1962 I watched it at home because we had a snow day school closure that day.
Anything reveled or hinted at as to what the surprise payload might be?
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
There are about a gazillion weather constraints for a launch like this. Cumulus rule, cloud thickness rule, rain rule, wind rules, lightning rule, seastate rules - all the way from Florida to Ireland! There are even proton flux rules from solar wind.

Hush with your gobblygook!

It's time to light this candle and Make American Great Again.
Just got the go for propellant load!!
Originally Posted by JeffA

I'm hoping it's Elon Musk or his flamethrower.
Originally Posted by deflave

I'm hoping it's Elon Musk or his flamethrower.

That'd be fu_kin' awesome! Better yet make it Elon Musk with his flamethrower.
I told my wife that I hope Elon sends up a pound of bud and brings it back to Joe Rogan.

Space Weed.

That'd be the schit. LOL
Posted By: Bald1 Re: Today's Manned Launch Update - 05/27/20
Being that I'm in my 70s, I grew up with our initial manned space efforts. I've miss the media focus and excitement. And also feel sorry for the younger generations not experiencing today what I did back then.

To see a manned launch from our soil after 10 years of idleness is exciting. And to see it being handled by a private company instead of the corrupted Global Warming NASA cabal is a huge plus as well.

I wish resounding success today! laugh
Originally Posted by Bald1
Being that I'm in my 70s, I grew up with our initial manned space efforts. I've miss the media focus and excitement. And also feel sorry for the younger generations not experiencing today what I did back then.

To see a manned launch from our soil after 10 years of idleness is exciting. And to see it being handled by a private company instead of the corrupted Global Warming NASA cabal is a huge plus as well.

Easy now...

NASA is a part of this. It's a joint venture.

And they only became that because of Obamer.

He gone.
[Linked Image from thumbs.gfycat.com]
That was my next reply.

LOL

I have tons of late sixty's news clipping I'd cut from the paper one the first moon launch.
I have 8x10 glossy photos of the astronauts onboard, that kinda stuff was for sale at every grocery check-out in the weeks surrounding the moon landing.
I couldn't get the one of Musk with his flame thrower to work....

I have tons of late sixtey's news clipping I'd cut from the paper one the first moon launch.
I have 8x10 glossy photos of the astronauts onboard, that kinda stuff was for sale at every grocery check-out in the weeks surrounding the moon landing.

I remember back in the late 60's or very early 70's I had a couple of small Readers Digest sized booklets that had all kinds of NASA/Apollo facts, pictures, stats ect. I also had a cardboard cutout model of the lunar landing craft and the lunar orbiter. Seems like it was all part of the booklet "kit" and you put it together yourself. Wish I still had them.
Not today. Weather issues.
Originally Posted by centershot

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by centershot

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

LOL!!!
Dead on the nuts at 4:20 they scrub it....something smells like a skunk...
If you heard it, it was a field mill violation. That means that the detectors that check for lightning potential were high. Lotsa lecktriks in da air, boys.

Saturday's chances are a little bit better, and the launch time then will be 3:22 pm Eastern.
Electric skies are not friendly skies.

It’s all Pelosi’s fault.
The astronauts rode to the launch pad in a Tesla. That was cool. Cool new uniforms SpaceX made and the 3D printed helmets. Next launch window is Saturday afternoon. SpaceX is also building a huge rocket to go to Mars with. It will have over twice the power of Saturn V. They are building and testing the prototypes at Boca Chia, Texas. This rocket will have 31 engines on the booster (reusable like Falcon 9) and 6 engines on the reusable upper stage/spaceship called Starship. It can not only go too Mars but the moon too. This rocket will be 30' in diameter and over 400' tall fully reusable. Musk is hoping to get to orbital testing by early 2021. This big rocket will come in at least 3 versions. Cargo version, passenger version, and tanker version. Cargo is supposed to take 150 tons of cargo to orbit. Passenger version can take 100 people, and tanker version is to refuel the other two after reaching orbit so they can proceed to the moon or Mars. Follow all the progress on "NASAspaceflight.com"

I am interested in space travel as they landed on the moon on my 16th birthday. All cool growing up watching the space program evolve. I was in the first or second grade when they launched the first monkey into space. I was in the third grade when they launch John Glenn into orbit and we watched it on TV at school.
© 24hourcampfire