Home
Posted By: mudhen May Says So Long to Phoenix - 05/28/20
PHOENIX —

The Salvation Army on Wednesday opened heat relief stations across metro Phoenix as forecasters say temperatures will reach as high as 112 degrees in some areas by Friday.

The National Weather Service said an excessive heat warning will be in effect through late Sunday.

Forecasters advised people to stay in air-conditioned buildings and drink more water than usual.

Scott Johnson of the Salvation Army said people arriving at the heat stations will be given a mask, gloves and a small bottle of hand sanitizer because of concerns about the coronavirus.
112 degrees with a mask and gloves? That would not be pleasant.
Posted By: krp Re: May Says So Long to Phoenix - 05/28/20
I'm headed to the mountains with the grandkids this morning, going to work as little as possible this summer, would not work at all but a couple customers don't have another option but me. Anyway, trout fishing and cool country for the next few days.

Kent
Yup your getting the big H that is passing over us and gonna settle over four corners for awhile.
Posted By: EdM Re: May Says So Long to Phoenix - 05/28/20
Fairly warm (mid-90's) and quite humid here. We head to north Idaho for 2 1/2 months next week. My youngest is there celebrating an impromptu honeymoon.
Posted By: 40O Re: May Says So Long to Phoenix - 05/28/20
Can't wait until it's consistently hot. My pools not ready for me in the morning until we have nice, consistent, over 100 temperatures. Nothing better then jumping in the pool first thing in the morning before the kids are up. Leave Phoenix? Not happening. .
Posted By: 45_100 Re: May Says So Long to Phoenix - 05/28/20
I lived in Yuma for 22 years. Worked in farming, mostly produce and seed crops. Many a day in the summer it was 124 to 128 degrees. Never had heat warnings back then. In Yuma 100 degrees is a nice Thanksgiving Day afternoon.
Posted By: hanco Re: May Says So Long to Phoenix - 05/28/20
Hasn’t gotten bad here yet, but it’s coming with humidity too
Posted By: las Re: May Says So Long to Phoenix - 05/28/20
Gonna hit 70 here sometime in the next couple weeks .

Probably.

Heat is ok, but not for more than a few days - and not that much.

It's what HI, CR, and Mexico are for.

And saunas. smile
The time I visited Phoenix in June I wondered "why would anybody live here?", my opinion hasn't changed any.

Everybody has to get up early to do their running, cycling whatever in the morning before work.
I sure like it down there...from October through March.
Originally Posted by 45_100
I lived in Yuma for 22 years. Worked in farming, mostly produce and seed crops. Many a day in the summer it was 124 to 128 degrees. Never had heat warnings back then. In Yuma 100 degrees is a nice Thanksgiving Day afternoon.

Oh, you mean like this? Not Yuma, but a bit further north, 200+/- miles or so. Not an unusual occurrence in July or Aug:

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

We prayed for September when temps might get below 100F. 100F or thereabouts was considered a cool day in July, seeing as how the average hi where we lived was 113F or something.
Originally Posted by EdM
Fairly warm (mid-90's) and quite humid here. We head to north Idaho for 2 1/2 months next week. My youngest is there celebrating an impromptu honeymoon.

Gotta be a story there!
I saw it hit 128 in Ft Irwin, CA
I was younger then (much!) and it didn't bother me too badly.
Now I find my comfort threshold stops in the low 90's smile smile smile

Here, where I live, we hit 100 once in recorded history - that's just fine with me.
Originally Posted by mrchongo
Originally Posted by EdM

Gotta be a story there!

I, myself, was wondering if it involved a shotgun. shocked

Ed's got pretty good kids as I recall, so likely not one of those.
Posted By: akpls Re: May Says So Long to Phoenix - 05/28/20
Only mid-80's predicted for Santa Fe. Still reasonable.
Posted By: mudhen Re: May Says So Long to Phoenix - 05/28/20
Temperature just topped out at 100 here in the Boot Heel. First time this year.
Headed north to Kodiak tomorrow, done with the heat
© 24hourcampfire