Home
Posted By: Kellywk Auto Electric Question - 05/28/20
I was trying to change a crank shaft position sensor in a Dodge Hemi last night, the electrical connector has one of the red tabs that you slide to the side to take apart. Connector is froze solid and won't budge and the tab ended up crumbling when I pushed on it.
I'm thinking just to cut the wires and wire in a new connector when I put in the new sensor but wanted to see how much of a headache that's going to be as I know jack about auto electric.

Is it just going to be as simple as splicing in the wires or am I missing something?
Posted By: HTDUCK Re: Auto Electric Question - 05/28/20
As long as it is not a shielded wire it should be simple.
Never seen a shielded wire on a crank sensor in 35 years of working on cars for a living.
Posted By: Kellywk Re: Auto Electric Question - 05/28/20
Originally Posted by HTDUCK
As long as it is not a shielded wire it should be simple.
Never seen a shielded wire on a crank sensor in 35 years of working on cars for a living.

looks like it's just regular rubber insulated wire, just didn't want to cut it off and then have an oh chit moment so thought i would ask first
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: Auto Electric Question - 05/28/20
They make splice kits for that. My only suggestion is solder the connections then seal each one with shrink tube, then put a piece of shrink tube over the entire splice. You will then have excellent dielectric insulation and no chance for interference.
Posted By: xxclaro Re: Auto Electric Question - 05/28/20
Is it just the red plastic piece that broke or the whole locking tab? If it's just the red locker I wouldn't worry too much about that. Did you manage to get the connector off? If not, try giving it a couple wacks with a screwdriver handle then blasting some air up inside. Usually I find its dirt that's got it all locked together. If you do need to splice in a new pigtail, it's no big deal, just make sure your wires go to the right terminal of the connector.
The red tab is just a locking device. As long as the connector itself is good, use a zip tie to lock the two parts of the connector together. There's also a secondary locking tab that needs to be depressed before the plugs will separate. The red tab is sort of a "belt and suspenders" situation to assure the connection stays tight.
Jerry
© 24hourcampfire