Home
Posted By: huntsman22 tag team egg suckers.... - 05/28/20
they come from miles around to dine at the egg factory....
[Linked Image from i26.photobucket.com]

What kinda snake is that?
bullsnakes
Should be a dead kind of snake...
I bet you solved the problem, too!
Posted By: antlers Re: tag team egg suckers.... - 05/28/20
Last week I was hiking between Walsenburg and La Veta and came across a big bull snake (6 footer) just layin’ there soakin’ up the sun. He didn’t even budge as I walked by. Later on I came across an even bigger red racer (7 footer)...and he hauled a$$. It’s amazing how fast those snakes are...!
Looks bull snake-ish.
Back when we had chickens we had some take up the taste for hens eggs.

We caught them and moved them to a pasture a few miles down the road.

None of their friends came calling.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: tag team egg suckers.... - 05/28/20
Cool. Taste like chicken?
Originally Posted by rockinbbar

Problem? It's no problem to let them have a few eggs in trade for keeping the mice and packrats in control. I like having them around.....
Posted By: SBTCO Re: tag team egg suckers.... - 05/29/20
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Problem? It's no problem to let them have a few eggs in trade for keeping the mice and packrats in control. I like having them around.....

Good on ya.
Bull snakes are the good guys.
Posted By: gunzo Re: tag team egg suckers.... - 05/29/20
Me being a bit jumpy over the subject & a fast draw, I killed one of these on the first day of my first ever prairie dog shoot. When we told our host rancher about it he didn't seem too pleased but didn't say anything.

After that, & seeing the real deal prairie rattler, I too give the bulls a pass if I'm able.
If you have a lot of bullsnakes around, the rattlesnake population isn't very big.....
Posted By: mathman Re: tag team egg suckers.... - 05/29/20
Seems like a good trade.
I’m a fan, they’re hell on mice.

P
Posted By: ribka Re: tag team egg suckers.... - 05/29/20

I love findingbull snakes around my house. Keep away rattlers, vermin. Neve bothered my chickens.
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: tag team egg suckers.... - 05/29/20
Had on as a pet as a kid fuqer would bite my azz every time I tried to handle it so I eventually set it free
Posted By: BC30cal Re: tag team egg suckers.... - 05/29/20
huntsman22;
Good evening to you sir, I hope other than being a few eggs light that this finds you well.

Thanks for sharing the photos of those big old bull snakes and if you're so inclined, a quick question.

We have bull snakes here too, but I've never seen one the size of yours in the photo. I want to say a 3' model would be a pretty big one. The old ranchers would talk about keeping a few around if possible and as you said, besides pack rats they seem to make rattlers scarce too.

That said, I've never seen a rattler here much bigger than that either so perhaps we're at the northern edge of them or something?

Anyway the question is how big do they get and how big are the ones in the photos.

Thanks in advance sir, all the best to you and stay well.

Dwayne
Posted By: kkahmann Re: tag team egg suckers.... - 05/29/20
Used to be a guy on here went by the moniker ‘Rattler’—you might remember him Dwayne—he was a wealth of knowledge about snakes. I hope he’s doing good wherever he‘s gone on to.
Lol!

Ol’ Don’s a few eggs short of a dozen! smile

Got that sympatico system. Living the good life there sir!
Originally Posted by kkahmann
Used to be a guy on here went by the moniker ‘Rattler’—you might remember him Dwayne—he was a wealth of knowledge about snakes. I hope he’s doing good wherever he‘s gone on to.

kkahmann;
Good evening to you sir, I trust the day treated you acceptably and this finds you well.

Indeed he'd be a wealth of knowledge on the subject sir, thanks for the reminder.

As far as I'm aware he's well and I'll send him your best at next opportunity.

Thanks, all the best to you all and stay well.

Dwayne
Posted By: Glynn Re: tag team egg suckers.... - 05/29/20
Back when I was about ten and spending summers on my uncles farm, one of the chores my brother and I shared was gathering eggs from the coop. Every now and then a hen would't make it back and instead would roost in a cement mixer we had by the barn. Never forget the day I stuck my head in there looking for eggs and got nose to nose with Mr. bullsnake!
I don't begrudge them an egg or two, but if they come for my youngest daughter's baby bunnies they're in trouble. From her. She won't put up with it.
Posted By: RDW Re: tag team egg suckers.... - 05/29/20
I never met a Bullsnake longer than about a foot that didn't have a seriously bad attitude, like most water snakes but a few steps below a Coachwhip.
The sense of smell in a snake’s tongue is amazing, a rat snake on the ground can smell a nest and clutch of eggs 20ft up a tree.

I got not problem not killing egg eating snakes, as long as you don’t mind that snake not killing anything, or eating eggs either, for another couple of weeks while it digests and processes those three or four eggs it just ate.
#FUGGTHATSCHITT

#cuties
huntsman22;
Thanks for the additional photos sir, that's some fine specimens there - snakes and humans!

Thanks again, it's been an education for me tonight.

All the best to you all sir. Stay well.

Dwayne
Posted By: ribka Re: tag team egg suckers.... - 05/29/20

nice ones

beautiful snakes
Originally Posted by kkahmann

He was very knowledgable and gave the impression it was borne of experience. Lots of pics as I recall too.
Posted By: 12344mag Re: tag team egg suckers.... - 05/29/20
Sure would make a purty set of grips.
Posted By: jpb Re: tag team egg suckers.... - 05/29/20

Love that picture, that is one intensely-focused dog! grin

John
You ever see a pic of my female crew holding a snake,

You can be sure,

There's a bunch of people in Hell looking for coats.
Years ago, my lovely wife set a few golf balls to encourage a particular hen to start sitting.

Shortly after, discovered a big black snake in the coop....it had swallowed one of the golf balls.

Doubt it made it.

Don’t mind the black snakes in the least. Passive snakes. Saw two knotted together in a tree, couple days ago. Snake rut. 2 yo grandson got a kick.

They get some eggs, but mice too.
© 24hourcampfire