Home
For a bit of non-riot/non-Covid/non-political news:
A ski boat sank in the river here yesterday as it was coming into a dock and it's wake broke over it. There were 17 people aboard. All made it safely to shore before help arrived but the boat's on the bottom of the river. I don't know the capacity of a boat like that but apparently 17 along with a half dozen beer coolers is an overload. He probably dropped off plane too fast and the stern was riding too low. I'll bet the boat owner is crying this morning and he's blocking a popular dock at a local marina. At least no one got hurt.

HAGERMAN — Seventeen people safely escaped a boat that sank Saturday evening on the Snake River.

The operator of a 22-foot Centurion ski boat was coming toward the docks at Thousand Springs Resort at about 5:45 p.m. when the wake came up over the boat and all 17 people on board landed in the water, according to a statement from Twin Falls County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Lori Stewart.

The incident was reported by a Thousand Springs employee and deputies responded.

All 17 people were safe on shore by the time first responders arrived, Stewart said. The boat sunk and is at the bottom of the river.

Twin Falls deputies and search and rescue will be joined by the Cassia County Search and Rescue dive team Sunday in attempting to retrieve the boat.
Starving people from Youtopian Cuba or Texans?

Mexicans could easily pack 22 on a 22 foot boat.
Centurion is a wake boat. I'd imagine its rated at 12 or so. Lot of money sitting atvthe bottom of the river there. Most of those boats new start at 80 grand.
Nope. Just beer drinkers on a hot Saturday afternoon. We all know them and/or have been them.
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Nope. Just beer drinkers on a hot Saturday afternoon. We all know them and/or have been them.

Not me. Boats are for fishing. wink
Originally Posted by UNCCGrad
Centurion is a wake boat. I'd imagine its rated at 12 or so. Lot of money sitting atvthe bottom of the river there. Most of those boats new start at 80 grand.

I had to look that up. I wasn't aware that they add water for ballast to make a bigger wake. I know they can raise havoc for canoers and fishermen.

I had to look that up. I wasn't aware that they add water for ballast to make a bigger wake. I know they can raise havoc for canoers and fishermen.

I looked it up and they make a 22' that is anywhere from $115-150k. Someone had a bad day. I used to have an old Malibu skier that was made for slalom that we would add ballast to. One day a Wakesetter full of ballast came by and damn near caused us to take water over the closed bow. I'd schit my pants launching from that 3'solid wall of water. Some HS kid that had to be semi-pro was throwing down all kinds of sick tricks...kid was awesome.

For me, if you can't hunt or fish out of it I don't want any part of it.
My fishing boat is a 14' PortaBote with a 10hp motor. It's pretty buoyant but those big waves give it a pretty good toss. If I see them coming, I turn into them but once in a while a big wake from across the river catches me off guard.
Mine is 20’

Rated for 9 people
My fishing boat is a 14' PortaBote with a 10hp motor. It's pretty buoyant but those big waves give it a pretty good toss. If I see them coming, I turn into them but once in a while a big wake from across the river catches me off guard.

I have a Maycraft 1800 with 115 yamaha. We fish and hunt the local lakes and the sounds of coastal NC. At times you can't have a big enough boat for the sound. Some folks take these boats 60 miles offshore but no way would I ever attempt that even going out with another boat. A man has to know his limitations. There are charter boats there for a reason. If I lived closer I would have a 24' deep vee of some sort I could take offshore on good days for mahi, cobia, kings, etc.
They’ve all got a sticker saying how many people and the weight they're rated for on them. I’ve got a 20’ deep V offshore boat that’s rated for 8 people or 1200#. Note that’s only 150# a person which means you’ll probably max out the weight with 5 normal Americans and a cooler.

A 22’ boat with 17 drunks on board? It was probably overloaded by at least 200-300%.
They was trying to get away from coloreds
I thought level flotation was mandatory on modern boats—on my 14ft skiffs and my 17ft Crestliner you could pump them full of water and they will still keep the power head out of water.
enough to sink it.

Several years ago, they outlawed the use of such boats on Lake Lowell. They tried to outlaw all motorized craft on the reservoir, as the wakes disturb waterfowl along the perimeter of the lake.

Locals consider these to be ridiculous regulations for a man made reservoir created to store irrigation water.
Boating 101-

This ain't Dunkirk.
For a bit of non-riot/non-Covid/non-political news:
A ski boat sank in the river here yesterday as it was coming into a dock and it's wake broke over it. There were 17 people aboard. All made it safely to shore before help arrived but the boat's on the bottom of the river. I don't know the capacity of a boat like that but apparently 17 along with a half dozen beer coolers is an overload. He probably dropped off plane too fast and the stern was riding too low. I'll bet the boat owner is crying this morning and he's blocking a popular dock at a local marina. At least no one got hurt.

HAGERMAN — Seventeen people safely escaped a boat that sank Saturday evening on the Snake River.

The operator of a 22-foot Centurion ski boat was coming toward the docks at Thousand Springs Resort at about 5:45 p.m. when the wake came up over the boat and all 17 people on board landed in the water, according to a statement from Twin Falls County Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Lori Stewart.

The incident was reported by a Thousand Springs employee and deputies responded.

All 17 people were safe on shore by the time first responders arrived, Stewart said. The boat sunk and is at the bottom of the river.

Twin Falls deputies and search and rescue will be joined by the Cassia County Search and Rescue dive team Sunday in attempting to retrieve the boat.

were they all 6 feet apart?
3 work friends were fishing in a 14" aluminum v bow last week.
A big dude in the bow. 400?
Skinny one in the middle. 140#
A 220# running the outboard.
Gear, beer....

Took a wake over the bow,
Skinny dude moved forward, to bail.
That pushed the bow under.
They went swimming, had to be rescued, lost a bunch of stuff.

Numerous mistakes, it was all ok, until it wasn't!
I’m glad the dummies were safe, none drowned!!
Originally Posted by hanco
I’m glad the dummies were safe, none drowned!!

Yeah, me too. Good thing none of them had been drinking or it might have turned out different. whistle
Owner was embarrassed. He knew they were way heavy,
And the risk from the big, rip-and-tear boats. Was trying to stay,
away, but went to that part of lake because he knew they would
catch fish. Had a five gallon bucket almost full, lost them too.

Fun to ride them. I have done worse, just never owned a boat!
I hope the boat owner was driving. I'd sure hate to sink my buddy's boat...or have him sink mine.
In my senior year of high school a couple of good friends worked all summer, (awful hours) to raise money to buy a boat. First outing, one was sitting on the side railing steering the boat as his bud was water skiing behind. Big wave and boat driver get's tossed out of the boat. His buddy is skiing behind an empty boat going in circles full speed. He finally let's go of the ski rope and the boat continues to circle until it crashes into the rock dam which took the whole bottom of the boat off. Completely destroying a summer of work and their uninsured boat & motor. Luckily both made it to shore.
it depends on the wake boat. I for one think wake boats are stupid. all they do is offer, wake boarding, surfing and skiing. you have to be nazi about not ripping the props out the bottom. they are difficult to pull up to a beach. i think its one of those look cool on the lake kind of things. but they sure are popular around here. I for one need to have an outdrive that can be trimmed. some of those wake boats, in particular the older ones ride very low in the water. Most of the new ones have higher sides, but some of the old ones if you got too many people in the bow, a small wake could easily come over the bow and if the boat is underway it could easily turn the boat into a submarine for a short period of time.

the trimmed outdrive allows you to trim the bow up and handle wakes, inclement weather and waves with relative ease. it also allows pulling on on a beach, etc. I scratch my head on why people have to have wake boats. If you are buying a new boat in my area, the wake boat style probably sells 4:1 more boats. oh one other thing, they aint fast either. about 38 mph is about all you get. oh another negative I forgot they aren't easy to manuever around the dock of on a trailer. kinda hard to reverse the things with much accuracy. a 22 foot boat is a large boat. 10 people is probably more than plenty.
Originally Posted by kkahmann
I thought level flotation was mandatory on modern boats—on my 14ft skiffs and my 17ft Crestliner you could pump them full of water and they will still keep the power head out of water.

I think that level flotation only applies to boats under 20 feet long.
These guy didn't sink, it flipped, and still floated.

And yes, the owner was in complete control.

If the bigger guy was in the rear, they might have been ok.
I know my 24' jet boat can take some serious weight, but not sure I'd want that much in weather.

I was in a storm on lake Roosevelt that wiped out a marina with 60 mph winds and it was the first time I've ever fired all bilge pumps and told everyone to jacket up and hold on without any moving water.

We were breaking over the hardtop and riding 10'er on the way to find a wind break.

Blew a damn nice net out of my rod rack on top.
We had some wind yesterday but that's not what sank the boat. They were just overloaded and when he dropped off of plane, the wake overran them and filled it with water. Since no one got hurt, it would have been fun to watch.

The primary wake dissipates quickly.

If his ballast tanks had water in them he was even more over weight than was evident based on people and gear.

I’m looking at my 21’ chapparral now. The safety badge says 10 people / 1400 lbs. it does not have ballast tanks
Boat that expensive probably had insurance. Might be interesting to see his renewal rate after this.
We had some wind yesterday but that's not what sank the boat. They were just overloaded and when he dropped off of plane, the wake overran them and filled it with water. Since no one got hurt, it would have been fun to watch.

That's the driver's fault.
100%
© 24hourcampfire