Home
Posted By: hanco How is your garden doing? - 06/02/20
We are getting lots of squash and cucumbers. A few tomatoes and a few jalapeño’s

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Hope to plant it this week.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: How is your garden doing? - 06/02/20
Blackberries are just coming out of bloom. Have a few tomatoes and peppers with blooms, but mostly just growing.

Finally dried out enough to get the rest planted yesterday, about a month later than I’d like, but it was wet and we had late frosts anyways. 60’ row of okra, a mixed row of beans, a row of various squashes and cucumbers, a row of watermelons, cantaloupes, and pumpkins, and a row of sunflowers because my kids like them.

Saw a picture from 8 years ago, I was picking Buckets full of squash.

Did some weeding under the blackberries tonight-they’re going to produce well this year.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Kids planting the okra yesterday
Way behind you for sure, Dug Potomacs today and cut last 6 cabbage and last 2 cauliflower. Broccoli still coming. Tomatoes with blossoms and squash about a week out. Field peas and okra after finishing tater dig tomorrow.
Planted two weeks ago. Everything coming up really nice. Have a few squash coming on already and two plants with green tomatoes on. Planted broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, spinach, lettuce, onions 5 weeks ago. It's all doing damn good. Had a pile of asparagus and my horseradish is huge.

Gardens a real stress reliever for me.
Deer eating everything they can get to.

Little bastards.
Posted By: Old_Toot Re: How is your garden doing? - 06/02/20
Maters, squash, peppers and garlic. Enjoying all of them.

Had fried green tomatoes tonight smothered in crawfish etoufee.
Posted By: dale06 Re: How is your garden doing? - 06/02/20
Planted my tomato’s today. Shorter growing season here so I buy several plants that are larger, with a few marble size tomato’s on them. My Early Girl variety usually produces by July 4.
Looks good Cheesy!
Posted By: Cheesy Re: How is your garden doing? - 06/02/20
Originally Posted by MadMooner

Little bastards.

Saw a rabbit at edge of my garden at lunch today. Might put the boy out there with his .22. Never had pest problems in a garden before, but never had one at this house either.
Originally Posted by jackmountain
Planted two weeks ago. Everything coming up really nice. Have a few squash coming on already and two plants with green tomatoes on. Planted broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, spinach, lettuce, onions 5 weeks ago. It's all doing damn good. Had a pile of asparagus and my horseradish is huge.

Gardens a real stress reliever for me.
I like fresh but I have to agree with you 100% on stress reliever
Posted By: EdM Re: How is your garden doing? - 06/02/20
Sadly after feeding neighbors for years we realized that we head to our north Idaho cabin before the Texas stuff is ripe and we head back south before the north stuff is ripe... So nada here.
Posted By: Jeffrey Re: How is your garden doing? - 06/02/20
I was late getting mine in. That’s what I get for having a kid. We’re getting tomatoes and peppers every day, but not like we should.
Posted By: Whiptail Re: How is your garden doing? - 06/02/20

Had a delicious BLT yesterday. My cherry tomato is really producing. Beans are already done. The summer inferno has just about started.
Originally Posted by Cheesy

Little bastards.

Saw a rabbit at edge of my garden at lunch today. Might put the boy out there with his .22. Never had pest problems in a garden before, but never had one at this house either.

I’ve been soooo tempted to put a 22 in one of these deer. They’re all over the damn place. Chase the outta the drive way.

Thing would probably taste like petunias though. Lol.
Posted By: slumlord Re: How is your garden doing? - 06/02/20
It’s going, but just in the phase right now where the weeds are trying outpace me and mine

Mixed variety of tomatoes

Cuke fence

Green beans, bush

Porch cherries (Tommy toe and grape tomato)

not shown, okra and collards barely sprouting- but starting strong
Mine needs hoeing like always.
Futon couch frame for my cherry tomatoes, keep that damn yellow dog outta there

If aint redneck, I’ll kiss your ass
Originally Posted by gregintenn

Better get on it

A dirty hoe
Is a happy hoe
Posted By: duck911 Re: How is your garden doing? - 06/02/20
Just the Big Green Egg pizza garden this year.

Basil, rosemary, winter savory in the front, 3 types of oregano in the back planter plus some sage.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Morewood Re: How is your garden doing? - 06/02/20
I'm continually amazed at the growth rate of zucchini. Pick it clean before heading out of town and come back a week later and you've got 4 pounders.

That concrete welded wire mesh when rolled up makes for good tomato cages, Slumlord. Been using mine for years.
Posted By: Brazos Re: How is your garden doing? - 06/03/20

Little bastards.

Here too.

Blackberries are looking good though.....
Originally Posted by slumlord

Better get on it

A dirty hoe
Is a happy hoe

That's why I married a hoer! grin
Originally Posted by Morewood
I'm continually amazed at the growth rate of zucchini. Pick it clean before heading out of town and come back a week later and you've got 4 pounders.

That concrete welded wire mesh when rolled up makes for good tomato cages, Slumlord. Been using mine for years.

An acre of zucchini would feed the world.
Posted By: skinner Re: How is your garden doing? - 06/03/20
Cheesy my garden down here just north of the boot heel is in about the same stage as yours because of all the rain. I did pick enough mulberries this afternoon for a cobbler.
Posted By: rem141r Re: How is your garden doing? - 06/03/20
i just bought plants today. probably have tomatoes about labor day at this point. almost a waste of time. this is the latest i have ever planted.
Posted By: slumlord Re: How is your garden doing? - 06/03/20
Maybe I can have a decent garden this year

Seems we have to go to montana, Canada, Arizona or some other Griswoldian mecca every phoucking time in the middle of the summer for 3 weeks. Fuggin biggest ball of twine in Minnesota.

about sick of road trips myself

Turning into a old prick that just wants to stay home and burn the garbage

Feel like Bubba Gump when it comes to zucchini. Grilled, fried, sauteed, baked with pizza sauce and cheese, casserole, canned, Frozen, bread, shredded, steamed.......
I've had zucchini at least 50 different ways.
Is Tennessee really so bad that you have to leave all the time?
Only thing zucchini is good for is shooting out of my potato gun when I’m out of spuds.
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Yes
There’s no salmon or Idaho in Tn
Just diabetes and sausage
Posted By: rem141r Re: How is your garden doing? - 06/03/20
when i bought this house, i put in a garden that was about an acre. took me weeks in the spring to get it in and from mid-july to frost i was picking, processing, canning, and freezing like a mofo. that lasted about 10 years. now its a dozen or less mators and some cukes. l like the perennials better anyway. asparagus and different kinds of berries. fugg the zucchini. i don't care if i ever eat that schit again.

Tn is great

Slumlord love ta Vacaay!!!!
Sometimes so much.
He goes to the same places 37 times.
Just ta get broken sea shells on a beach full of bugs in a bucket
Or a picture in a different shade of light the exact same day the following year.
Sometimes even a vacaaaay after the vacaaay to see things he missed while it was his turn to drive!!!

LOL!!!
Posted By: KC Re: How is your garden doing? - 06/03/20

Obviously the growing season in TX starts much earlier than in Colorado Springs. This year I gambled and planted some corn on Aporil 30, risking that it might get frozen out. But we were lucky and no hard freezes since then. We planted tomatos, beans, cucumbers, and peppers a couple of weeks later. Haven't planted the squash yet. Don't need too much of that. So far everything that we have planted has germinated and sprouted.
Had 2 tomatoes last night sliced up with salt on em.
Still have 2 in the fridge.
Got some celery in the fridge, that is the wifes.

Think the tomatoes were like 1.75.
Still had those vine thingamabobs attatched.

Pretty cost effective...
No labor.
Mexicans do that.

My grow is doing good.
Hydroponics and halogen work....

LOL!!!
Originally Posted by renegade50

Tn is great

Slumlord love ta Vacaay!!!!
Sometimes so much.
He goes to the same places 37 times.
Just ta get broken sea shells on a beach full of bugs in a bucket
Or a picture in a different shade of light the exact same day the following year.
Sometimes even a vacaaaay after the vacaaay to see things he missed while it was his turn to drive!!!

LOL!!!

Hahahaha!

He probably sells the shells to the retarded kid.
Posted By: 1minute Re: How is your garden doing? - 06/03/20
Had a marble sized hail storm a couple weeks back with about a 2 inch accumulation. Every thing from fruit trees to tulips got shredded.
Garden. No, but, I am killing the hell out of the weed crop. Glycophosphate, 2, 4-d and some surficant. Like an evil genius.
"The Warden" and her sister had a small garden coming along nicely, out at the ranch.
Then, one night, about 3 weeks ago, the elk got into it - and pretty much destroyed it.
frown frown frown
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] Tater all dug today! That was more than I expected
Reminds me of my nuts
Posted By: bucktail Re: How is your garden doing? - 06/03/20
Reminds me of my nuts

All covered in dirt?
Killing it on asparagus. Everything else is late
Originally Posted by bucktail
Reminds me of my nuts

All covered in dirt?

In the hand of a man?
Reminds me of my nuts

All covered in dirt?

They hang low, drag in the dirt when I pick beans.
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Reminds me of my nuts

All covered in dirt?

In the hand of a man?

Lol

Oh, yeah, your hand any time...should’ve stopped for KFC that time. You could’ve beheld these gems.

😃
Reminds me of my nuts

All covered in dirt?

They hang low, drag in the dirt when I pick beans.

You should get a roller skate.
Dim would be some BIG NUTS!
They change colors too
Become BLUE?
Purple, red, gold bond white
You got it going on SLUMMY!
Posted By: duck911 Re: How is your garden doing? - 06/03/20
Reminds me of my nuts

.........in another man's hands?

laugh
Originally Posted by duck911
Reminds me of my nuts

.........in another man's hands?

laugh

Take a number

$3 and you can touch em
Ahh nuts, I miss Jr high....
Jealous of the guys already getting produce. Just got dry enough to get a new garden plot tractor-rototilled last night. Supposed to rain again tonight, tomorrow, and possibility Friday and Saturday. Will set out the plants I have started today. Maybe buy some left over green house plants to set out as well...
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Jealous of the guys already getting produce. Just got dry enough to get a new garden plot tractor-rototilled last night. Supposed to rain again tonight, tomorrow, and possibility Friday and Saturday. Will set out the plants I have started today. Maybe buy some left over green house plants to set out as well...
Went immediately to the last post, so I'll comment before reading the thread.

Same here. Our garden spot went unused last year for reasons I can't even remember. This year...same as you. During the past few days we've gotten it tilled about three times and finally broken down enough to plant. Mucky and cloddy. Fifteen tomato plants to set out along with watermelons and some other stuff. Marigolds right in the garden too to attempt bad insect control. Garden ain't pretty but maybe we'll get one in. Plants go in today...hopefully before it rains.
It didn't quit snowing here until mid May. I did get it planted 10 days ago. So far so good.
Supposed to hit 90 here today before some fooking storm.

had things started in a green house, so far:

- eating leaf lettuce out of the green house, peas in there going great
- replanted tomato and beans in there to see what happens
- have a row of peas up outside in the garden
- transplanted started cucumber, squash and tomato outside, that night 2 inch hail stones and wind. Wiped out the cucumbers, broke a tomato in half.

Zucchini seeds planted, but not up. Romaine lettuce planted 2 weeks now, not up.
Posted By: hanco Re: How is your garden doing? - 06/03/20
Originally Posted by fuzzytail
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc] Tater all dug today! That was more than I expected

Haven’t planted taters in a couple of years. We have had too much spring rain for years.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: How is your garden doing? - 06/03/20
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

I'm hoping for some of that storm, but I don't have to worry about hay on the ground like all my friends do. Went from 0% chance a few days ago, to 30% chance yesterday, to 50% chance today. Maybe by tonight we'll get to 100%.
Posted By: RJY66 Re: How is your garden doing? - 06/03/20
Traditional planting time here is Good Friday. My place was wet as a rice paddy then and I only planted a few squash as soon as it got halfway dry. Been getting a few. I've been working up the ground in the last few days and plan to plant a big purple hull patch later this month. Then broccoli, cabbage, and mustard greens in the fall.
Originally Posted by Cheesy
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards

I'm hoping for some of that storm, but I don't have to worry about hay on the ground like all my friends do. Went from 0% chance a few days ago, to 30% chance yesterday, to 50% chance today. Maybe by tonight we'll get to 100%.
I don't have any hay down but I have this garden to get in, so I'm hoping it holds off for today. After that, let it rain. We sure don't need some frog-strangler though.
Got the first rotation of beans and corn into the garden yesterday afternoon. Here's what it looked like 90 minutes after I finished up. Unbelievable...

[Linked Image]
Posted By: slumlord Re: How is your garden doing? - 06/05/20
Take em out
Got the first rotation of beans and corn into the garden yesterday afternoon. Here's what it looked like 90 minutes after I finished up. Unbelievable...

[Linked Image]

Where did you find rabbit seed?
I had to replant half my blue lakes, they (or something) snipped them off at the ground after they got 4” high

Set me back 2 weeks. Now I’m gappy till they catch up

Where did you find rabbit seed?

LOL ! ! ! ... Interestingly, between coyotes and feral cats, I do not normally see rabbits on my farm. Saw one rabbit 20-30 yards down hill from the garden when I was finishing up with the soaker hose. Never expected him to bring a buddy right after I went into the house... May have to try some of the electric netting...
Got in fifteen tomato plants and one Basil yesterday. One more Basil and some watermelon along with some flower plants and we'll have about everything planted that we've got to plant. May get some more stuff but time is waning.
Posted By: 1minute Re: How is your garden doing? - 06/05/20
Predicting 33 degrees this coming Sun and Mon nights. We're on a hill (4,500 ft) but the frost pockets below (4000 ft) might freeze/
Originally Posted by 1minute
Predicting 33 degrees this coming Sun and Mon nights. We're on a hill (4,500 ft) but the frost pockets below (4000 ft) might freeze/
Wow. Is that normal for y'all?
Posted By: Sycamore Re: How is your garden doing? - 06/05/20
spuds are looking good! and apparently a fair crop of ravens in a Ponderosa in the back yard.
Posted By: Sycamore Re: How is your garden doing? - 06/05/20

last years?
Two weeks of rain followed by a week of sunshine has Donne wonders for mine. Harvesting lots of peppers and squash are coming on strong. I expect bumper crop of beans and potatoes this year too.
Originally Posted by Sycamore

last years?

I just cannot do those hard chairs at Cracker Barrel with a package as such. Have to take my own cushion.
Posted By: slumlord Re: How is your garden doing? - 06/06/20
This evening...a little roto-tiller action

Still got some inbetweener weeds, have to finger pick them.

Collards are getting weedy bad, beans aren’t too bad.

This evening...a little roto-tiller action

Still got some inbetweener weeds, have to finger pick them.

Collards are getting weedy bad, beans aren’t too bad.

Looking good. What kind of roto-tiller?
Posted By: 1minute Re: How is your garden doing? - 06/11/20
Ethan:

Back when we could grow a garden (pre urban deer days) frost sensitive stuff was never put out before the middle of June. By the third week of August, get ready for frost. Never got good slicer tomatoes, sweet corn, or peppers with any fire.
Originally Posted by 1minute
Ethan:

Back when we could grow a garden (pre urban deer days) frost sensitive stuff was never put out before the middle of June. By the third week of August, get ready for frost. Never got good slicer tomatoes, sweet corn, or peppers with any fire.
Wow. It is cold as hell here. 58 tonight. I've already aclimatized to near 100 degree temps for the summer. lol
Posted By: LouisB Re: How is your garden doing? - 06/12/20
I am good with everything EXCEPT radishes that is in the ground.
Seed company set me back 45 days with tomatoes, so that may well be IFFY.
I did have some tomato seeds that I just broadcast in a little open soil area in the garlic bed and those are the plants that have been transplanted into a bed to provide something to eat.

The garden plot has set fallow for more years than I like to admit so will plant less than a fourth of it this year.

Radishes? ? ? ? ? Probably the simplest thing to grow and mine are NEVER successful. This year I bet they bolt with NOT ONE radish produced.
I have a bunch of seed left over. What's the best way to store it so I can use it to plant again next spring?

Bb
Posted By: slumlord Re: How is your garden doing? - 06/13/20
Freezer
Posted By: hanco Re: How is your garden doing? - 06/13/20
Starting to get lots of tomatoes. Gonna be a pretty good year!
Posted By: Ranger99 Re: How is your garden doing? - 06/13/20
Had to go pick up some cages today.
I've always had several extra, but a few
of them got disappeareded
I can't imagine what these hood rats
around here might want with any tomato
cages since nobody grows a garden
because that involves work
Posted By: Terryk Re: How is your garden doing? - 06/13/20
Late frosts removed every pear from 3 trees and took it to my initial plantings.
Second round tomato plants are really getting big fast. Used mushroom mulch around them, and where it was dumped in the grass is deep green. Must be NH3 rich.
Rabbits liked my pumpkin seedlings and green pepper plants.
Posted By: Cheesy Re: How is your garden doing? - 06/13/20
Originally Posted by Terryk
Late frosts removed every pear from 3 trees and took it to my initial plantings.
Second round tomato plants are really getting big fast. Used mushroom mulch around them, and where it was dumped in the grass is deep green. Must be NH3 rich.
Rabbits liked my pumpkin seedlings and green pepper plants.

I bought 4 heaped up truckloads of mushroom compost for my garden this year. Never used it before. Down here it’s primarily chicken litter mixed with straw. Ammonia central.

My tame blackberries coming on strong.

My tomatoes are to the point I need to stake them this weekend. Plants look good. I've got peppers coming. I put in three rows of lettuce, all spaced two weeks apart. We've harvested off the first row to go in. I'll be cleaning that out this weekend and replanting. I should have good lettuce right up 'till frost. Onions are doing good as long as the danged squirrels leave them alone.
sweet corn coming in.

Somehow grabbed too many cherry / tommy toe maters plants by mistake.

Lil maters everywhere.
Blue lakes and row of collards

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][
Need to go and train the cukes up the panels, first training 3 days ago.
Originally Posted by BigDave39355
sweet corn coming in.

Somehow grabbed too many cherry / tommy toe maters plants by mistake.

Lil maters everywhere.

I’ve all these nuisance ‘volunteer’ cherries coming on the corner where I threw all the vines last year.

Might have to get after them with a weed eater

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc][url=https://post

I put the stakes in before planting tomatoes, the tomato plant can be planted right up against the stake and the roots are not damaged by the stake. Also, makes for a much neater looking garden.
Baby rabbit slipped thru a tiny space in the wire and made short work of the parsley.
I don't ever remember our blackberries doing as well as they are doing this year. Some cycle thing I can't explain I guess.

I hear talk of a cobbler this weekend.
The rabbits nailed my string beans but seem to have left everything else alone. We're not getting enough rain here. I gotta go out and water in a few minutes here.
Got the new garden spot rototilled on 02 June. Started setting out and planting on 3rd and 4th. As of yesterday on the 15th, have everything but one double row filled in a 25'x90' plot. Have been using the Farmer's Almanac online tool to lay out and keep track of "what is where".

What sweet corn varieties are folks putting out? I put out Park Avalon, Park Serendipity, and Gurney "Gotta have it". Both Park varieties have had good germination and off and growing. The Gurney variety has had significantly less germination, and the plants do not seem to be as vigorous. Will sow my second planting of sweet corn later this week. Thinking that I will only use the two Park varieties.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Clarkm Re: How is your garden doing? - 06/16/20
Sunday I was doing performance art for my 2 year old grandson. I would scream in pain as I watched a deer eat my cherry trees on the game camera. He thought that was funny.

Monday I watched a raccoon on the game camera..... take every cherry down from my two trees.

Tuesday... still devastated.
Posted By: hanco Re: How is your garden doing? - 06/16/20
I gathering up 30 to 40 pounds of veggies every day. I get tired of picking the stuff.
Originally Posted by hanco
I gathering up 30 to 40 pounds of veggies every day. I get tired of picking the stuff.

Dang!
© 24hourcampfire