Home
Posted By: Beaver10 What’s your favorite tool? - 06/03/20
Before someone like AlwaysOutdoors says his mini trouser weasel.

I’m asking what tools do you enjoy using most often?

I’m ripping up and replacing a rotted subfloor on the wife’s “SheShed”.

Putting down 3/4” ply that I will back prime with paint to slow the moisture issues here on the coast.

I’m always grappling a sawzall for demo. I hate catpaw’n nails, especially deck-cork screw nails. Sawzall get’s things done.

Next tool is a worm drive skilsaw. driver, hammer.

Guess some will say their favorite tool, is the right one for each job.

Cheers to that thinking. So, what’s your favorite?

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

😎
Rifle
Files
Pliers.
Posted By: add Re: What’s your favorite tool? - 06/03/20
On this site?

Paddler, but he doesn't post anymore.

Actually it is a Yoshikane 240mm gyuto kitchen knife.
Posted By: Dess Re: What’s your favorite tool? - 06/03/20
Klein needle nose when I worked telecommunications.
lathe , then mill or the other way around
Originally Posted by RemModel8
Rifle

Plus 1000

😎
Originally Posted by AKA_Spook
lathe , then mill or the other way around

Lathe and mill...You got skills!

😎
Knipex pliers.
Any of my 5 nail guns but especially my framing gun.
Routers
Chop saw.
sledge-hammer and Gas Axe.
50 plus years in heavy equipment repair..big f'ing hammer. Nothing else comes close.
Posted By: MD521 Re: What’s your favorite tool? - 06/03/20
Starrett dial indicator
Posted By: GRIZZ Re: What’s your favorite tool? - 06/03/20
Lathe and Bridgeport Mill here also...
Dremel plunge router set up is fun. Too many to list.
Originally Posted by Bristoe

LMFAO
I have a worm drive Skilsaw that is probably 35 years old. Over the years a new pigtail, brushes, oil and the occasional new blade it should be good for another 35.

That said, the cordless screwdriver is a wonderful invention. Makita or DeWalt.
cordless driver/drill. how the hell did we survive without them.
All my favorites fit in here!

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
I thought for sure this was going to be a Wabi thread.
Great thread! What makes me smile...

Maybe the corded Milwaukee 10 1/4” circular saw. Cutting slabs to width. Cutting 4x4’s in one pass. Woof. Git’r done, Son. Actually, most old-school corded Milwaukee stuff makes me smile.
Posted By: hanco Re: What’s your favorite tool? - 06/04/20
Welding machine, I like building things out of metal.

I like making bbq pits, but I think I’m done.
My ATV.
Chainsaw.

But it has to be 70cc+ pro grade.

I just love to make the chips fly.
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Files

I like those too, was just thinking about them the other day. Mower blade likely needs a touch up, saw somebody mention "grinding" one the other day. Why, if you have a good file?

An 8lb splitting mauls is a favorite too.

Too many others to mention, but files and a good maul make me smile.
1.Cordless drill
2. Rockchucker
Originally Posted by kingston
I thought for sure this was going to be a Wabi thread.

God bless you my son...Better?

😎
Originally Posted by crittrgittr
All my favorites fit in here!

SLUT!

Nice tool box. 😬😎
The civilized side of me is viking -
the other is Slav.
A hammer. ( A 3# hammer is a finish hammer, to me! )
Originally Posted by Beaver10

Varmint guy
Any Bible I can reach, I love to thump with it. laugh
Varies. Since I just demo'ed and put down 1800 linear feet of decking, I'll say my chop saw and my makita impact. That Milwaukee Sawzall made short work of the demo.
Currently rewiring my garage, so this one get the nod right now. Irwin wire stripper. I wouldn't tackle a home wiring chore without it.

Posted By: Brad Re: What’s your favorite tool? - 06/04/20
I have a LOT of tools, but a special one is a Stanley pry bar from the 1960’s. It was my dad’s. He was an airline pilot (absolutely NOT a carpenter) but somehow I ended up with it. What a tool. Beautiful spring steel. Fine at the edge and “lively,” not like the static/blunt pry bars that are available today. Nothing fancy, but I think of my dad every time I use it, and nothing currently made comes close.
That's a tough one. I had a 14.4 volt Skil drill. Nothin' fancy. It did a lot of work for me before the battery finally gave it up. Snap On or Craftsman or any other combo wrench set...SAE or Metric. Tough to do without. I really like my pressure washer I got from Sam's Club. Honda Motor. Don't even know what brand the washer is without looking at it. Starts easily. Just got done tilling the garden with the Earthquake tiller. Some Chinese crap but it starts and does the job. I had a Troy Bilt Bronco that just wasn't worth a damn. Earthquake is much better.
I'd have to say a screw driver with two differ size common and Philips bits. Always have had one since my AF days.
Originally Posted by sandcritter
Maybe the corded Milwaukee 10 1/4” circular saw.

A mere childs toy......grin

[Linked Image from i26.photobucket.com]
Originally Posted by Brad
I have a LOT of tools, but a special one is a Stanley pry bar from the 1960’s. It was my dad’s. He was an airline pilot (absolutely NOT a carpenter) but somehow I ended up with it. What a tool. Beautiful spring steel. Fine at the edge and “lively,” not like the static/blunt pry bars that are available today. Nothing fancy, but I think of my dad every time I use it, and nothing currently made comes close.

Can you get a picture of it? Sounds like something a guy could come across at a garage or estate sale and miss the item for lack of knowing it’s quality.

😎
I’m expecting Renegade pop in with “Any tool Slummy owns, is my favorite”

😂😎
Mill, lathe, welding machine, cutting torch, in that order. I ain’t much of a wood butcher but I love to make things out of metal.
Originally Posted by rem141r
cordless driver/drill. how the hell did we survive without them.

Product of the Space program. .
Originally Posted by huntsman22

That's an Old one..
Stihl.
Kimber .45 acp
I picked up a manual log splitter last year when we cleared a bunch of trees and that splitter has made life a lot easier. I split a ton (literally) of firewood with that thing at my cabin and a several day job turned into a several hour job. A motorized splitter would be nicer, but I'm not yet at that level (of laziness or amount of wood to split).
Anything with hydraulics. Whether it's our little tractor or mini excavator. Every tool I have has earned it's worth but I love hydraulics
Originally Posted by TheKid
Mill, lathe, welding machine, cutting torch, in that order. I ain’t much of a wood butcher but I love to make things out of metal.

I used to like those things. But they lost their novelty after 40 years.
In no particular order, Bridgeport vertical mill, Monarch or Harding lathe, Brown and Sharpe or Cincinnati horizontal mill, Brown and Sharpe surface grinder, and all the assorted precision tools in my Gerstner chests.
These days, a lathe and milling machine holds about the same fascination for me as a shovel holds for a grave digger.
My RCBS Jr ammo press.

kwg
Most used non-power tool
[Linked Image from media.knivesandtools.com]

Favorite power tool
[Linked Image from toolboxbuzz.com]

Followed closely by
[Linked Image from toolboxbuzz.com]
I do so many different things is hard to choose.

I suppose my 1/4 and 1/2 Milwaukee impacts are my fav if I doing Mech work.
Beaver10: The "tool" I use most often is on my belt - its a "Leatherman - Super Tool".
Invaluable and apparently indestructible.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
My favorite finish trowels skatin a slab.....
I like hammers. If a hammer can't fix it, you can still take out your frustrations with it.
Originally Posted by P_Weed
I like hammers. If a hammer can't fix it, you can still take out your frustrations with it.

You have a point, Beat that basturd into submission! Lol.
My favorite power tool is my Stihl 261 saw. I don't use it near as often as I'd like but when I do, it puts a smile on my face. This picture was from when it was kind of new.......the grouse fell in love with it too.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
1.Cordless drill
2. Rockchucker

i aint no f;ing tool
my rigid impact driver
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
My favorite power tool is my Stihl 261 saw. I don't use it near as often as I'd like but when I do, it puts a smile on my face. This picture was from when it was kind of new.......the grouse fell in love with it too.

Is that a stunt grouse?

😬😎
For four years that bird stayed around my buddies place, he'd fly or run like crazy to the sound of a 4 wheeler, chain saw, weed whacker etc. We had some good times together.........sadly a fellow running a gas operated brush saw chopped one of his legs off last summer, a certain death sentence for the grand old bird. Sad

He surprised me in this one......

thats cool Larry
Brain then opposable thumbs.
Originally Posted by heavywalker
Brain then opposable thumbs.

Was fixing to post that exact thing. You beat me to it.
Sad about the grouse. Im sure that was quite the experience having a wild bird acting like that around. He is looking after y'all now that's for sure.
I call him Henry. Some have called him "el cabijo".
Originally Posted by gamma4diesel
Sad about the grouse. Im sure that was quite the experience having a wild bird acting like that around. He is looking after y'all now that's for sure.

How'd he taste?
Different tools for different jobs. The impact driver has put a real dent in a lot of daily tasks for me. Amazing tool. Battery operated tools in total. The new battery chainsaws and pole saws are amazing.

Hoffman boots. Climbing poles or digging holes, they are tops. And Darn Tough socks between the boots and my feet. Six months of daily hard wear, look like they did when new.

The Glock 17 has been a flawless tool, carried daily for 26 years now. It has killed more stuff than any other tool I own, and provided a deterrent above what my appearance could manage, twice. Served me well in steel plate competition, too. You could get hit by lightning before you caught me without it close to hand.

The Ram Cummins 1 ton truck. Mine got 27 mpg on a hilly and curvy two lane tonight over the forty mile trip home. Averages 25 locally. Pulls anything I have needed to pull, no hassle, from a fifth wheel rv trailer to a dump trailer with over five tons of rock loaded, to an equipment trailer and excavator. Makes towing easy.

Also, don’t know how I ever got along without that excavator and skid steers with tracks.
45 lb Johnson rod. 16 penny nail x 1000.
Simple straightforward demolition tool requiring no power or maintenance. A man can demo a lot of stuff with a Johnson rod. The beauty is in the simplicity of design and efficiency of material and fabrication. Best $20 I ever spent at lowes and will last forever.
Love the grouse pics, Lawdwaz!!

And Huntsman, yet again, has some darn cool toys 😁
My favorite tools, fishing rods and reels
Back in my lineman days, I would say my 9" Kline's. Any lineman can fix anything with his nine Klines. With his gloves on!
Glock 20 for protection and food.
Originally Posted by Beaver10
Before someone like AlwaysOutdoors says his mini trouser weasel.

I’m ripping up and replacing a rotted subfloor on the wife’s “SheShed”.

Putting down 3/4” ply that I will back prime with paint to slow the moisture issues here on the coast.

I’m always grappling a sawzall for demo. I hate catpaw’n nails, especially deck-cork screw nails. Sawzall get’s things done.

Next tool is a worm drive skilsaw. driver, hammer.

Guess some will say their favorite tool, is the right one for each job.

Cheers to that thinking. So, what’s your favorite?

😎

They look brand new. Did you just buy them so you could make an Instagram post and get clickies ??
Beav,

Fix the dam.n roof leak and/or quit letting water run under your she-shed. Problem solved. 👍
I like my leatherman. It's a WIngman but I also have some bigger ones. My next one will be a Double Bevel sliding Compound Miter saw,
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
For four years that bird stayed around my buddies place, he'd fly or run like crazy to the sound of a 4 wheeler, chain saw, weed whacker etc. We had some good times together.........sadly a fellow running a gas operated brush saw chopped one of his legs off last summer, a certain death sentence for the grand old bird. Sad

He surprised me in this one......

Super cool!

I’ve got one of those, but mines only 10 years old. The last time I used it, I was trimming the five sets of 3” thick barn doors I made for my barn build. The largest set were for an opening 16’ wide x 12’ tall.
Originally Posted by cra1948
In no particular order, Bridgeport vertical mill, Monarch or Harding lathe, Brown and Sharpe or Cincinnati horizontal mill, Brown and Sharpe surface grinder, and all the assorted precision tools in my Gerstner chests.

Etalon,Compac,Interapid,Hamilton.....and a Mitutoyo 190-101
Measure or place anything.
Studer isn’t a Hateful Grinder...........and maybe Deckel on the mill
Hardinge for threading.....

The new worm drive are bitchin......
Wow, I just realized I've had my gold Skil anniversary model worm drive for 38 facking years. New cord and racy red handle, new gear goo every few years, but it's still a champ.
My favorite tool, however, is a straight-shaft pneumatic die grinder. The trouble that thing gets me out from under, I can't begin to describe.
Originally Posted by Dave_Skinner
Wow, I just realized I've had my gold Skil anniversary model worm drive for 38 facking years. New cord and racy red handle, new gear goo every few years, but it's still a champ.
My favorite tool, however, is a straight-shaft pneumatic die grinder. The trouble that thing gets me out from under, I can't begin to describe.

Cleco.......takes a real compressor. But when you can bury a 1” burr in steel.......not much is safe from it.
Posted By: hanco Re: What’s your favorite tool? - 06/04/20
Nail guns are fun!
1911's
Tools and toys in one.

Actually on the job, a Japanese #2 screwdriver. JIS screw heads are shallower and round out more often using regular Phillips bit drivers.
Right now it is the BosCH SDS-plus® Bulldog™ Xtreme™ Rotary Hammer.

https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/boschtools-ocs/sds-plus-hammers-11255vsr-hdc-197862-p/

Had to put in a new water line to the house. The foothills of the Santa Catalina Mountains here in Tucson is rocks and boulders with some dirt and caliche here and there. Caliche is like soft cement. Even the excavator bucket couldn't get through it! This tool saved me a great deal of time and and effort. Using a spade bit it cut through the caliche and loosened rocks where the excavator coulldn't dig. It was also used to remove a 4" wide x 6" long x 6" thick piece of concrete slab to run one water line into garage. It worked flawlessly nonstop for an hour to get that chunk out. Awesome tool.

The conglomerates between wall and ditch were not dug there, just something I collected over the years.
LeroyBeans.
Right now, it'd be my new Stihl MS250.

The reason? #2 Son, Moose and #3, Son, Angus ran off with it and have been cutting firewood for several weekends running. I'm getting free firewood without any effort on my part.

Here I am back last November trying out for the Village People in my new chainsawing duds.

[Linked Image from genesis9.angzva.com]
In the Maine summer home: wood splitter.

In CA, cordless drill/screw Gun
Originally Posted by rockchucker
Originally Posted by River_Ridge
1.Cordless drill
2. Rockchucker

i aint no f;ing tool

laugh
This baby came with the new home property.

Am finding plenty of uses !!

I have way more $ sunk into my fishing "tools", than our hunting tools !

Can you say St Croix / Shimano / Daiwa slut !

Ski Doo Tundra

Honda TRX quads
Posted By: EdM Re: What’s your favorite tool? - 06/04/20
Originally Posted by rockchucker
my rigid impact driver

Guen's pick? ;-)
Heck it depends on the task at hand. Some tools are fun to use and some aren't, some are just bad as as to what they can do and how much easier they make the job. Could be one of several tools.

Stihl 311
Hy-torq
Welding machine
Plasma cutter
And damn sure the right gun for the game and good fishing equipment
They all have their place and can make a life a lot easier and more enjoyable.
Oh, forgot !

Tools I most enjoy using; BBQ, Flat top grill & smoker !
My most labor and time saving tool is the pallet fork attachment for my loader tractor.
Favorite- Knipex endcutters and the cordless impact wrench.

Least favorite- DeWalt tool kit I picked up at Costco. Nice kit for the $80 or $90 I paid, except all the tools are black. Fugging black.

10 minutes in the sun and ratchet handle gets hotter than a sumbitch.
Rifle

I have to agree with that! I have one in 25Rem and it's a fine shooter. Not to mention, an impressive crowd gatherer.
7" Wilde plyers
Case warncliff pocket knife

Linesmans Pliers

4.5" Grinder

Ruger American 22WMR
My old Chouinard X 15 iceaxe. It has taken me to some wondrous places.

For actual work my Glock 19

mike r
My Glock 20.
Originally Posted by Timberlake
Rifle

I have to agree with that! I have one in 25Rem and it's a fine shooter. Not to mention, an impressive crowd gatherer.

Model 8 I assume? Frank's gun
Favorite tool?

Creepy Joe.

After that, anything with a sharp edge.
Me as a baby with my favorite tool.

Lmao
Originally Posted by mirage243

I just stole you pic, sent a few msgs.

My wife was amused.
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by mirage243

I just stole you pic, sent a few msgs.

My wife was amused.

Lol
Posted By: Pat85 Re: What’s your favorite tool? - 06/04/20
20 lb. sledgehammer. Makes square parts fit in round holes!
Pretty simple....12# nylon handle sledge.
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

Not much on small saws,
But I have been looking for a deal on one of those for years.

That will make the Stihl fanboys cry.
The fastest saw made.
At least it used to be.

My wife was amused.

My wife, too.
She well knows our favorite tool.
lol.
wink
Favorite hand tool are my lacing wire pliers. When bolts are safety wired properly, it's a thing of beauty. As far as power tools, my pneumatic impact and ratchet, such a life saver!
PETN CORD.

(If ya gotta ask, you've never used it)
Posted By: wahoo Re: What’s your favorite tool? - 06/05/20
hammer
Originally Posted by Dillonbuck
Originally Posted by simonkenton7

Not much on small saws,
But I have been looking for a deal on one of those for years.

That will make the Stihl fanboys cry.
The fastest saw made.
At least it used to be.

I got it for building log cabins. Cost $624, five years ago. You need a 50 cc saw with a 16 inch bar for cutting the dovetail notches. This is a real jewel. Just put a spark plug in it and lubed the nose bearing. This is a beautiful little chain saw.
Posted By: PJ65 Re: What’s your favorite tool? - 06/05/20
Stihl is overpriced and over rated
Cumminsdurastroke deleted with triple platinum spark plugs and a quart of Lucas.
© 24hourcampfire