Home
Posted By: SamOlson Samsung S20? - 06/09/20
I need to retire my old flip phone.

My camera(Canon G15) needs to be replaced as well.

Thinking kill two birds with one stone.

Curious how good the S20 is at taking pics.

Would I be better off with a basic (inexpensive)phone and buy a new Canon or try to go all in one?

The idea of always having a camera available is also nice. I generally do not carry the heavy ass G15 around in my shirt pocket....

(and yes, I realize this isn't a techno nerd hangout but some of you guys are into this stuff)
Posted By: papat Re: Samsung S20? - 06/09/20
Son takes some pretty amazing pics with his. And he is a camera buff too. The tech is there anymore.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Samsung S20? - 06/09/20
Originally Posted by papat
The tech is there anymore.

Papat, that is the baffling part, for me anyway.

How on earth do they get a camera, much less five lenses inside something so thin...
Posted By: papat Re: Samsung S20? - 06/09/20
Have no idea Sam. How do they make a phone do what it does. Way beyond me.
Posted By: smithrjd Re: Samsung S20? - 06/09/20
I have given up on a separate camera, Cell phones nowadays take very good pictures and Videos.
I have seen some pretty awesome phone pics posted here which got to me to thinking.

Thanks guys.
Posted By: GuideGun Re: Samsung S20? - 06/09/20
I have the S20 Ultra and would highly recommend it. To me it was worth the extra cost over the other S20 offerings for that 108mp camera. I would do it again.
GuideGun, alright man, so the Ultra has a better camera system?

I was under the impression that it was slightly larger, which I do not want...

But if it has a better camera then that would be great.

How much $$$?
Posted By: HilhamHawk Re: Samsung S20? - 06/10/20
Originally Posted by SamOlson
GuideGun, alright man, so the Ultra has a better camera system?

I was under the impression that it was slightly larger, which I do not want...

But if it has a better camera then that would be great.

How much $$$?

The S20+ still has a 64 MP camera, which is more than needed for most purposes. I tried the full 64 MP, but the picture size becomes about 30 MB, which gave me transfer problems to my computer. The minimum setting is 12 MP, which works good, and makes excellent quality pictures.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Samsung S20? - 06/10/20
Thanks man, I've been looking at specs trying to figure it all out.
Posted By: keystoneben Re: Samsung S20? - 06/10/20
Buy a google phone. They are known for good cameras, automatically back up your photos. You can drop it in water etc.

I always take care of my stuff, but i always break my phones. Ive had this phone for three years, it works great. Still holds a charge all day, and is easy to use.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Samsung S20? - 06/10/20
How do you use your camera? Do you use the zoom much? Do you print large photos or just use them online? Phone cameras use mainly digital zoom. They really don't zoom but just fill in the spaces between pixels with duplicate pixels. When you try to enlarge them, they quickly go fuzzy. A real camera uses optical zoom where the lenses move to focus. It makes enlargements much more sharp.
Posted By: 280shooter Re: Samsung S20? - 06/10/20
I will be upgrading as soon as my contract allows. The S20 owners that I have talked to love them.
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: Samsung S20? - 06/10/20
I'm guessing that 95% of the photos taken these days are used online. Quality doesn't matter nearly as much that way. If you want good printed photos, go with the good point and shoot or even a DSLR.
Posted By: The_Big_D Re: Samsung S20? - 06/10/20
I have a S20+ and its nice, previously I had a S9+ and that was good also, I wouldnt have upgraded if I didnt break the screen. For those who dont need high end camera, the X Cover Pro that came out recently is interesting, I doesnt support wireless charging, but in exchange for that, it has a removable back cover that allows you to replace the battery, which is a nice feature that I miss. Also it is water resistant and essentially has a built in case protector.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Samsung S20? - 06/11/20
Thanks for the replies and info.

Wife went into our local wireless store today and bought new phones.

She got me the S20, she got a new I-phone and we bought our (newly moved here from CA)niece some sort of Samsung smart phone.

You do not want to know the bill for that trip....

I just got home and see the S20 on the counter. I don't know about these things, gonna take me a week or two to get used to it.

Fiddled with it for couple minutes and that was enough.
Posted By: sdgunslinger Re: Samsung S20? - 06/11/20
trouble with the smart phones these days is they are just too danged big and wont fit in your shirt pocket..........
Posted By: woodmaster81 Re: Samsung S20? - 06/11/20
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger
trouble with the smart phones these days is they are just too danged big and wont fit in your shirt pocket..........

Nor can one find a decent, unobtrusive belt holster for them. Between wallet, spare mags, car keys/misc items I have just the rear pocket left for the phone and the phone sticks out giving pick pockets a shot at it. I also do not like sitting on the phone and then have to move it every time I sit.

I miss my flip phone...
Posted By: Sakohunter264 Re: Samsung S20? - 06/11/20
Buy a good case for it, screen protector too!
Posted By: ironbender Re: Samsung S20? - 06/11/20
I long thought that if I wanted to take pics or vid, I would just use a real camera.

Now however, phone gets the most image work.

You’ll like the convenience and the pics will be of adequate (or better) quality.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Samsung S20? - 06/11/20
Originally Posted by woodmaster81
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger

Nor can one find a decent, unobtrusive belt holster for them. Between wallet, spare mags, car keys/misc items I have just the rear pocket left for the phone and the phone sticks out giving pick pockets a shot at it. I also do not like sitting on the phone and then have to move it every time I sit.

I miss my flip phone...

Cargo pants are your huckleberry friend:

[Linked Image from hw.menardc.com]

There are many versions. I like these and the same in shorts for the summer. Phone and checkbook go in the left side cargo pocket.
Posted By: Valsdad Re: Samsung S20? - 06/11/20
Sam, good luck with that phone. My bro has something similar I believe and get some really nice shots. Of course, he takes a lot of pics with a real camera too. Other bro and sisters are iPhone nerds, and there's seem to do really well, so your wife is set.

Niece up for the summer? Getting a taste of MT life? Staying up there to find out about cows, horses, pheasant hunting, broke down tractors, and Indians?

And this place is everything you want it to be. Techno hangout, quality food reviews, advice for the lovelorn, and there's even some politics thrown in at times.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: Samsung S20? - 06/12/20
Gents and Geno...

Wife got me an Otterbox with the phone but it's too small and slick for my liking.

I like the feel of her I-Phone better, it's a little thicker and wider. Probably should have got one of those but I thought they were gay.

Gonna have to find a slightly larger case otherwise I'm gonna be dropping this thing.

Other than looking at weather radar I don't think I'll ever use internet on it. Just not that interested in staring at a tiny screen and pecking like a bird.

Pics... it's sorta lame(taken a grand total of one..), maybe I'll come around but I think a new Canon is gonna be needed.

Geno, my SIL and her two kids moved up here from CA.

That is another story but I'm getting a kick outta the kids and SIL is cool!

(and we don't have kids of our own so it's fun to be able to help out, I can only buy so many dog treats......)
© 24hourcampfire