Home
Plant structure is close to what timothy looks like, but that may be because they are new seedlings. All of the cool seasons I can identify have headed, so it may be warm season. Very small seeds. Any guesses?

Left -Right
Fescue, Orchard, Timothy, mystery grass.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Looks like young Spear Grass... aka Texas Wintergrass or Heteropogon Contortus.

Spear Grass

Maybe not though. The "shafts are too short. Can you grab one of those spindly shafts and pull it out of the seed pod - and do they have a barbed spear at the end?
Don't you have 5 shown, 3 named? Or?
looks like green grass to me, can ya smoke?
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

I do, i care about number 4. Never saw number 5 before, but only found the 1 sample, so dont need it identified.

Have a lot of #4 coming in. Perk of the new grazing scheme. Just got a lot of grasses coming back that i dont know about.
Prairie dropseed. Maybe.
Originally Posted by LNF150
Prairie dropseed. Maybe.

I dont think so.
Originally Posted by LJBass
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer

I do, i care about number 4. Never saw number 5 before, but only found the 1 sample, so dont need it identified.

Have a lot of #4 coming in. Perk of the new grazing scheme. Just got a lot of grasses coming back that i dont know about.

OK, good luck. I don't like 5 if it matters.
Looks like a panic grass - maybe green panic just starting to seed out
Originally Posted by High_Noon
Looks like young Spear Grass... aka Texas Wintergrass or Heteropogon Contortus.

Spear Grass

Maybe not though. The "shafts are too short. Can you grab one of those spindly shafts and pull it out of the seed pod - and do they have a barbed spear at the end?

I'll take a look

Originally Posted by Txwildman
Looks like a panic grass - maybe green panic just starting to seed out

I'll look into it

You guys are at a disadvantage because we are scattered all over the country. However, I've been beating the bushes here, Closest thing I've found local was Reeds canary grass, but it was bigger and more robust from the thickness of the stand to the size of the plant. I suppose I should feel good about finding all these new species this year. Seems like a good problem to have with the new grazing managment.

Thanks for the help
We have a rye grass (not to be confused with rye) that favors that. Not sure if it is native to your locale.
looks kinda like green needlegrass , which is common in these parts
Originally Posted by sdgunslinger
looks kinda like green needlegrass , which is common in these parts

Most certainly not to be confused with a green needle dick.
#5 Looks like the beginnings of green wheat. Don't see any spear grass in that bunch,also.
© 24hourcampfire