Home
Am needing three complete sets of sockets in 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" drive. Shallow and deep, metric and standard. Have the ratchets and extensions, just need the sockets. I see shops around here with huge trays of loose sockets and am headed to town today to price them. Looking at American made only.

What do you think, PITA or worth the trouble? Guess it depends on what they want for them and what my time is worth.

If I buy new, do you guys have suppliers that let you build your own sets rather than having to buy a bunch of junk you don't need or want?
PITA.

I've had better luck with garage sales and Craigslist.
PITA . Fix your yard
I picked up a huge amount of combination wrenches and ratchets in the last year or two, all American made, for 50 cents each or less but it's time to complete the sets and get them into service.
Pawn shops around here are all gone. I bought a Write 3/4 set for $32. A better deal was a Smiths torch for 80.

Like gold, bargains are where you find them.
Originally Posted by dye7barrel
PITA. I've had better luck with garage sales and Craigslist.

This and flea markets.

2010-2013 was a boon for tools at garage sales and flea markets. I bought thousands of dollars worth of hand tools for hundreds.
Originally Posted by FatCity67

This and flea markets.

2010-2013 was a boon for tools at garage sales and flea markets. I bought thousands of dollars worth of hand tools for hundreds.

What happened in 2010 to 2013? Or was that just when you happened to be looking?
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Am needing three complete sets of sockets in 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" drive. Shallow and deep, metric and standard. Have the ratchets and extensions, just need the sockets. I see shops around here with huge trays of loose sockets and am headed to town today to price them. Looking at American made only.

What do you think, PITA or worth the trouble? Guess it depends on what they want for them and what my time is worth.

If I buy new, do you guys have suppliers that let you build your own sets rather than having to buy a bunch of junk you don't need or want?

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]

When Craftsman went overseas it was kind of the death of reasonably priced USA made tools. You may as well look for them at Pawn Shops if you're not gonna pay premium prices. The other suggestions such as garage sales, are probably more hit-or-miss than Pawn Shops even. None are bad suggestions...just sayin' Pawn Shops are probably the easiest of the bunch, whereas ALL are just dependent on luck.

I would just get a set and double my supply of ratchets. This, whether you buy new or used.
I've done it. Over the years I was missing a few sockets out of my set. I dug through the boxes at the Pawn Shop and found what I needed.

Stop pissing about and go buy yourself new socket sets and be done with it.
Harbor Freight
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Most "sets" come with 40% of what I don't need and a bunch of what I need isn't included. That's why I asked about building new sets suited to my specific needs.

Not that a guy in Australia would be any help.
Originally Posted by GreatWaputi
Harbor Freight
Fireball said he wants American-made and I took him at his word. The Chinese brought us the virus.
What tools are made in America?
Originally Posted by EthanEdwards
Harbor Freight
Fireball said he wants American-made and I took him at his word. The Chinese brought us the virus.

Lol, while you're typing on your Chinese made computer/cellphone.
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Most "sets" come with 40% of what I don't need and a bunch of what I need isn't included. That's why I asked about building new sets suited to my specific needs.

Not that a guy in Australia would be any help.

You do understand why 'flave thinks you are an irritating cunt don't you?
Harbor Freight

Lol, while you're typing on your Chinese made computer/cellphone.
There are still plenty of American-made tools if you are willing to pay for them. I'm not sure ANY computers or cell phones were EVER made here. That's not my doing. I've paid up for plenty of American-made stuff over the years, so I'm not part of the problem. So IOW you can kma.
Channellock are made in Meadville PA !
I’ve heard of guys replacing lost sockets via the pawn shop drawers.

But 12 fugking sets?

LMFAO. That yard never gonna be done.

This and flea markets.

What happened in 2010 to 2013? Or was that just when you happened to be looking?

People were dumping all their stuff as when the economy collapsed from the recession.

I picked up ZTR mowers, Bobcats, trenchers etc for pennies on the dollar.
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
Sockets? Armstrong, Bondhus, Proto, SK and Wright.
Klutch brand from northern tool great set 3/8 and 1/2" in a nice hard plastic case. So far i have been able to keep them all together for 6 months 😆
Originally Posted by Irving_D
Klutch brand from northern tool great set 3/8 and 1/2" in a nice hard plastic case. So far i have been able to keep them all together for 6 months 😆

Or he could just get over himself and go buy a set of Metrinch.
I buy plenty of tools at the pawn shops...

With that said....

Your only encouraging the so called “groid” or “dindu” lifestyle so many preach against by buying stuff there.... most tradesman arent running to the pawn shop to get $0.10 a socket, but crackheads will!

People were dumping all their stuff as when the economy collapsed from the recession.

I hope you sold them for what you paid.

Otherwise that's price gouging.

A Campfire no-no.
Originally Posted by deflave

A Campfire no-no.

Used for work then sold as needed. Many for what I paid originally.

Thank you.
Proto makes some good stuff

Thank you.

Yes EE, thank you. That helps.

Thank you.

Yes EE, thank you. That helps.
Sure.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
This is what's wrong with "sets". Look at everything that *isn't sockets. 450 piece "mechanics" tool set LOL

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Craftsman-450-Piece-Mechanic-s-Tool-Set-With-3-Drawer-Case/306810580?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=18581&&adid=22222222227257198479&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=304843959100&wl4=aud-430887228898:pla-547777755321&wl5=1024512&wl6=&wl7=9033114&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=125198127&wl11=online&wl12=306810580&veh=sem
I bought 4 Dewalt socket sets in the plastic organizer totes. It was the only way to keep the sockets from ending up in the wrong boat or truck. Well worth the money and seem to be excellent quality.
https://www.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWMT72165-Piece-Mechanics-Tool/dp/B00GK8ULY6
Originally Posted by TrueGrit
I bought 4 Dewalt socket sets in the plastic organizer totes. It was the only way to keep the sockets from ending up in the wrong boat or truck. Well worth the money and seem to be excellent quality.

That's not a bad set if I was starting from scratch for sure.
This is what's wrong with "sets". Look at everything that *isn't sockets. 450 piece "mechanics" tool set LOL

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Craftsman-450-Piece-Mechanic-s-Tool-Set-With-3-Drawer-Case/306810580?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=18581&&adid=22222222227257198479&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=304843959100&wl4=aud-430887228898:pla-547777755321&wl5=1024512&wl6=&wl7=9033114&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=125198127&wl11=online&wl12=306810580&veh=sem

I wished I had the fore site to know what I will never need when it comes to working on stuff. Then I could just use a bigger hammer on that torx screw.....

That really doesn't have that much stuff in it that ain't stuff you want, from what you said here. There's some ratchets, some combo wrenches and some extensions...so what? Here's the real problem with that set...nowhere does it say "Made in USA". IME if it doesn't say it is, it ain't. IIRC, Craftsman went overseas. Walmart doesn't sell much in the way of tools, that are made here. It wasn't always that way. Fifteen years or so ago, they carried plenty of USA made tools and back then, Craftsman tools were made here.

At a Pawn Shop, your best buys will probably be sets, just like in retail shops. You WILL spend a lot of time going through stuff and mixing and matching if you're going to put together that type of set. What I'm saying is to not worry so much about duplication on a few tools as in the end, you'll use them or lose them and probably won't regret having them. I doubt they will cost you much, if any, more and you will certainly spend less time accumulating them.

Don't you carry at least a small array of tools in each vehicle? Walmart is VERY good for toolboxes. Get another toolbox for less than $20 and put them in it for one of your vehicles. Sooner or later you'll be very glad you did.
Originally Posted by tndrbstr

I wished I had the fore site to know what I will never need when it comes to working on stuff. Then I could just use a bigger hammer on that torx screw.....

If you've done things your whole life, you know what you use and what you don't. Also, one set of some things is fine for the occasional use they get, while other things, like combination wrenches and socket sets, need to be in every truck. Oil filter wrenches- do you need one in every truck or just one of each size in the shop?

It's for each to decide what they need. Some need none.
Have you ever heard of Snap-On, MAC, or MatCo?

Maybe find a SK dealer in your area?

They all sell socket sets without ratchets.
Originally Posted by tndrbstr

If you've done things your whole life, you know what you use and what you don't. Also, one set of some things is fine for the occasional use they get, while other things, like combination wrenches and socket sets, need to be in every truck. Oil filter wrenches- do you need one in every truck or just one of each size in the shop?

It's for each to decide what they need. Some need none.
Just pound a screwdriver through the old filter with a hammer. Tighten the new one up best you can with your paws and then add oil if it leaks a little. lol

By my experience it don't matter how many oil filters, filter wrenches, etc. that you have, none of them will fit, especially if you change from Fram to Wix or whatnot.
https://www.tekton.com/hand-drive-sockets
[quote=Fireball2] put them in it for one of your vehicles. Sooner or later you'll be very glad you did.

EE, that's what these sets are for. Some trucks are lacking and have minimal tools. I'm not much into plastic tool sets. I find metal tool boxes second hand and fill them with what I want rather than buy mickey mouse sets of cheap Taiwan tools in plastic boxes. I agree on the Made in America. If it doesn't say it, it probably isn't.

I grab all kinds of small metal boxes when I see them for things like tires chains and tools. You can't buy a lot at the big box stores that's worth bringing home. The other day I found a real old snatch block I'd been looking for to keep in the truck with the winch on it. Those old tools have stood the test of time so those are the ones I'm looking for.
“Roy, you gonna finish the yard this weekend?”

“No, honey. Gotta go to all the pawn shops in Southern Oregon and build a custom set of sockets.”
I have twisted cheap extensions, rounded sockets. Lost several million.
Last oil filter I drove a screwdriver through was so thin it tore. 20 inch channel locks work if there is room.

I always thought theh should make a set with metric and US putting on only one socket for 5/16-8mm, 11mm, 19 mm. There are a few that are within tolerance to match.

I still have a homemade Chevy distributor wrench out there.
Harbor Freight

The “Made in China” store.
From the perspective of a 50+ year professional mechanic, there are two kinds of hand tools:

Snap-On

Everything else!

I search Ebay, pawn shops, flea markets, and garage sales, and buy anything I can find that's Snap-On brand. It doesn't matter if it happens to duplicate something I've already got- - - - -tools do get lost and/or stolen, even if the good ones rarely if ever wear out or get broken. Impact sockets are an exception- - - -the good ones are made of relatively soft steel and they do wear from the pounding they get from any impact driver worth buying. I buy medium-quality impact sockets like Craftsman or Kobalt, and replace them if they get worn to the point of being ineffective.
Jerry
I have most brands mixed in, snap-on, Mac, blue point, craftsman etc. but for the money SK is good stuff.

I'd go to a dealer and be done with it. I hate shopping though.
[quote=Fireball2] put them in it for one of your vehicles. Sooner or later you'll be very glad you did.

EE, that's what these sets are for. Some trucks are lacking and have minimal tools. I'm not much into plastic tool sets. I find metal tool boxes second hand and fill them with what I want rather than buy mickey mouse sets of cheap Taiwan tools in plastic boxes. I agree on the Made in America. If it doesn't say it, it probably isn't.

I grab all kinds of small metal boxes when I see them for things like tires chains and tools. You can't buy a lot at the big box stores that's worth bringing home. The other day I found a real old snatch block I'd been looking for to keep in the truck with the winch on it. Those old tools have stood the test of time so those are the ones I'm looking for.
I'm not the one that recommended cheap tools. I buy Made in USA when I can. The plastic tool boxes I have are almost all made here also. I prefer plastic because it is lighter and also doesn't scratch stuff as bad in vehicles. The metal boxes are probably more durable, but IME, nominally so. If somebody prefers metal boxes, I wouldn't try to convince them otherwise. There are pluses and minuses to both plastic and metal. I've got both.
I have mostly SnapOn from my younger days, almost all bought from the shops SnapOn dealer. $5 a week back in the late 70’s and early 80’s. Twas a great investment as I still use them often. I bought a 1/4” SK set back then, standard shallow and deep. Exceptional quality.....

25 years ago I bought a set of Craftsman wrenches for a work truck, they are adequate for lots of chores.

Heck I bought both my top (SnapOn) and lower (Vulcan) boxes used 40 years ago and wouldn’t trade them for anything.

Yard sales, Craigslist And pawn shops should work out just fine.
Look up Cripe Distributing out of Idaho for everything you want. They sell singles and sets and you can search for USA in the description. They are on Ebay also. Their shipping is too damn high but you put the items in your cart then send them a message and they will adjust your shipping before you checkout.

Cripe Distributing

Don't forget Harry J Epstein for USA tools.

Harry J Epstein

I don't see that you have anything to loose if you have the time. I would enjoy the hunt personally. The only thing is that there are more and more cheap products on the market so expect to look through lots of stuff. The pawn broker might be willing to take your name and call you when they get something. Would be worth asking about.
I haven't checked tool prices in many years. Being in the business I bought a new Snap On Taco wagon and a box that hung off the side and a top box. I bought several sets of Snap on screw drivers and the pry bars. I bought sets of combination wrenches in both metric and inch from 1/4"-1", and 6mm-25mm. I also bought the same sizes with the open end on one side and a socket on the other. To shorten this I have 1/4, 3/8, and 1/2 drive ratchets with metric and inch in very small to large, socket head, and star. In all of these I have regular and deep sockets. I have the black impact sockets from 1/2-2 1/4"
\Well, this is getting more time consuming than I thought. In my other box I have Proto, Plumb, Bonney, Craftsman, and others. I do have a 9/32 drive socket set and ratchet."Government issue". I have an ancient Snap On 1/2 drive ratchet that is very old and is very rough in manufacture. Pre chrome.
Most of these have never had my fingerprints on them and probably won't. Not listed are they various sizes of different type and size pliers, vise grips, air impacts and battery powered wrenches.

Made in Taiwan, that’s China, just not commie.
I've gotten a couple of 5 gallon buckets of Snap-on sockets over the years for $5 at yard sales and flea markets. Snap-on is not the best but it's still pretty good for the work that I asked of it.

Lot of auction houses also over the years.

I also cruise through the tool section of Home Depot and Lowe's periodically when I'm buying Lumber or whatever. Picked up some amazingly good deals as they're trying to clearance out old stock.

Full 200 piece sets... all three sizes $25. Obviously the SKU is a discontinued item but who cares for 25 bucks I have a set of wrenches and sockets.
As a matter of principle I will not buy anything at a pawn shop.

Fuuck buying stolen chit.
Big ole plastic bins of tools and stuff in pawn shops around here.
25 cents to 2 bucks

You could put yourself together a good tool bag for probably under 30 bucks easy
1/4 to 3/4 drive
High quality brand stuff.

Just gotta rat fugg around in the boxes putting a set up in order.

No shame doing it ......

80% Chinese

“At this time, about 75% of our current product lineup is made in Taiwan, 19% in the United States, and 5% in China. You can find the country of origin for every tool on Tekton.com by scrolling to the bottom of the product page and referring to the "Specs" section.”
Originally Posted by NVhntr

Made in Taiwan, that’s China, just not commie.

When the methheads relieved me of most of my tools last fall I couldn't afford to replace them all with made in the USA.

Ended up buying a fair bit from Taiwan, which according to my research has much better quality control than China.

As for sockets I bought separate 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2" drive Gearwrench sets with the 120 point ratchets. Haven't used and abused them much yet but they appear to be very nice quality.

I sold all of my snap-on.....

I got good money for them

I rock craftsman and harbor freight at home now.

I use snap-on at work😂

I do have a few snap-on ratchets, wrenches, sockets........
I’ve heard of guys replacing lost sockets via the pawn shop drawers.

But 12 fugking sets?

LMFAO. That yard never gonna be done.

This. To replace a lost or odd size, sure. But even then, it is probably easier and maybe cheaper to just buy it new from a hardware or auto parts store. My experience is the pawn shops want more per socket that a new set costs.
Originally Posted by SamOlson

Prolly in some of them Sam. Around here, a copy of every Pawn Ticket goes to LEO.

Buddy owns one. Mostly Guns, Ammo, and Archery gear.

I’ve watched him go in the back and call the Cops when he suspected the items were hot. He’d tell them he’s checking values. Have em wait. Then the Cops arrive. Seen them arrest more than a few.

Could have probably bought just about everything you need and more from one vendor at the market this morning Roy. There was an awful lot of used, quality American made tools on his tables.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

Prolly in some of them Sam. Around here, a copy of every Pawn Ticket goes to LEO.

I’ve watched him go in the back and call the Cops when he suspected the items were hot. He’d tell them he’s checking values. Have em wait. Then the Cops arrive. Seen them arrest more than a few.

C, it's not that sophisticated here.

I KNOW for a fact that the local pawn guys here buy stolen stuff all the time.
Originally Posted by chlinstructor

C, it's not that sophisticated here.

I KNOW for a fact that the local pawn guys here buy stolen stuff all the time.

I’m sure there are still some bad ones around too. I wouldn’t buy anything from a POS like that either.

I am of the same mind cuzzin. Same with sheriff's auctions, etc. Bad karma attached to it. Been in a lotta arguments with buddies over the years about it, but I don't feel right swooping in like an Israelite to take advantage of someone else's bad fortune.

I had a friend in money troubles of his own making trying to liquidate to get some fast cash. Offered his 2.5" mod 66 for 200 bucks. I gave him 250 and said whenever he wanted it back it'd be the same, but I'd shoot it in the interim. Doesn't mean I'm a good guy, but I sleep guilt free most nights.
A while back someone asked about Tekton, and I responded that I had bought them and was pleased with purchase. Turns out I was wrong in the brand. I considered Tekton but went with Sunex impacts. So, if you are reading this ... grin

Made in Taiwan.

I bought full sets 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, SAE and metric, and couldn't be more pleased. I run them in front of new-gen brushless Milwaukee impacts, and they have been great.

Dropped a small one in the engine bay of my Duramax at one point, and it never hit the ground. May still be in there. Was able to get a replacement for a few bucks and re-complete my set. I liked that.

This is one of the sets I bought:

[Linked Image from sunextools.com]
https://sunextools.com/products/12-dr-12-pt-39-pc-sae-master-impact-socket-set/

As you can see, just sockets, deeps, shallows, a uni adaptor (handy), good case, nowhere near Snap-On money.

I also bought the metric equivalent, that one with some extensions.

I did this one in 3/8:

[Linked Image from sunextools.com]

My 1/2 and 3/8 ALL easily fit behind the back seat of the crew cab (keeps them out of view in the bed), along with a Milwaukee mid-torque.

A few years later, a set of injectors in the Duramax (the primary impetus to buy), some front suspension work, lots of tire rotations, etc., I would absolutely do it again.

Hard to imagine putting together a solid set of foundation tools onesy-twosy from pawn shops. I'd be much more after complete sets. Seems like a more practical approach.

If I were professional mechanic, I might consider Snap-On or Mac or the equivalent, but even there I have seen pros who have opined that from a practical perspective, you don't necessarily get a whole lot more for your money with those.

I can recommend Sunex.
I picked up a huge amount of combination wrenches and ratchets in the last year or two, all American made, for 50 cents each or less but it's time to complete the sets and get them into service.

Three thoughts that might help you since it helped me.

1. If you don't need them this week and doesn't sound like you do, check ESTATE AUCTIONS in your area.
Kids are just making space and trying to get a buck. There's usually less competition for the same items than many other sales making them cheaper. Besides THAT'S where lots of the flea markets get their better stuff and OLD TOOLS.
Old tools will Outlast us and everything short of Christ's second coming. The tools are usually better shape and cheaper.

2. Yard sales. Perfect time of year to shop as everyone is doing spring cleaning. I've gotten ancient tools that looked like museum quality that I felt guilty giving the asking price. Lastly but certainly Not least is the best.

3. Pray and ask God. I'm not going to assume anything since we are just neighbors getting to know each other.
If you are one to pray, Jesus told us about the Father and how much kinder He is than me or any of us are...Matthew 7. https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Matthew-7-9/
He taught us to humble ourselves and ask Him.

I finally started to take Him seriously and started asking Him AND surprised to get answers.

I had a bunch of rachets, extra too, but was missing some sockets that had cracked and a set similar to what you are asking about with sizes that I didn't have surprisingly. Now I'm not saying this to sell you mine because I need these. I just want to encourage and for you to get what you're looking for.

I asked the Lord specifically as if He were in my shop with me one day for the socket set and mini driver that I needed once in a while for mowers, etc.
Guess what Fireball?
Next thing I know, I'm driving down the road and at the busy intersection near a sport arena. I see something that caught my attention. After pulling into the parking lot, I looked down and saw a bunch of sockets strewn all over the road and a box off in the lot. There were no trucks around or jobs or I would have asked if they lost their socket set and helped pick them up.
I picked them up and put them in the insets of the kit. I was surprised to see that they were all there except for maybe one that I already had a duplicate of!!!
If I remember correctly they are Stanley commercial set that you'd not find at Lowes. I don't know if they are US made, but so glad.... not so much for what they are, but for the One Who obviously gave them to me.
Hope that helps you find what you are looking for Fireball.

https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/James-1-17/

https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Romans-6-23/

Canvas wrench rolls are handy, BucketBoss.
Harry J Epstein Co. carries lots of choices and specializes in USA made. pricey but worth a look.
Harry J Epstein
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Canvas wrench rolls are handy, BucketBoss.

I second that, each of our vehicles has a roll filled with relevant tools.

I purchase the BucketBoss rolls through ebay.
I have a sickness and its a tool collecting one. Nearly 80% of my tools are Snap-On and Mac Tools with some Matco mixed in. Ebay, pawn shops, flea markets and 20+ years of searching. i even have a damn nice Snap-on box i bought the day a pawn shop owner decided to retire. He told me he was tired of the business and he'd sell me the box for what he paid and i bought the box for about 20% of what you'd pay off the truck. Store closed less than a week later. i'm proud of my tool collection. One of my first jobs welding i had an old hand tell me "Nothing like pride and ownership in your own tools". Ever since that day I've been on a mission to buy only good older tools. i still to this day search for good tools on the cheap. Keeps me busy
I was filling in some gaps in my tool collection 2 or 3 years ago, and had always wanted this Craftsman 176 piece socket set, so I finally got it. Like the OP said, most “sets“ throw in a bunch of cheap tidbits to drive up the piece count, this one is all sockets. Something under $150 IIRC.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

But if you really want to go whole hog in Craftsman, and I would have at the time if I knew this one existed..

One thing I’ll say about them though is, they come in a box without any sort of socket holder. Doing some research at the time on tool forums for devices to hold them, it can get real expensive! Oh, and it takes up a lot more room than I realized.
bhemry.....those Craftsman sets are China tools.

Danaher/Apex used to make many of the ‘made in the USA’ brands. Sold out in 2012.

Masterforce (Menards) used to be made in the USA. They transitioned to foreign made, but a few clearanced tool kits still are available.

35 piece kit for $26(after rebate)........without Allen wrenches and nut drivers. Less than $1 per piece, made in the USA.

Not a large set, but still worth the money.

Tool kit link

If you've got time to scrounge pawn shops trying to build a socket set, time is not your game. Save the gas and just fix everything with an adjustable wrench and a hammer.
Originally Posted by Happy_Camper

1. If you don't need them this week and doesn't sound like you do, check ESTATE AUCTIONS in your area.
Kids are just making space and trying to get a buck. There's usually less competition for the same items than many other sales making them cheaper. Besides THAT'S where lots of the flea markets get their better stuff and OLD TOOLS.
Old tools will Outlast us and everything short of Christ's second coming. The tools are usually better shape and cheaper.

2. Yard sales. Perfect time of year to shop as everyone is doing spring cleaning. I've gotten ancient tools that looked like museum quality that I felt guilty giving the asking price. Lastly but certainly Not least is the best.

3. Pray and ask God. I'm not going to assume anything since we are just neighbors getting to know each other.
If you are one to pray, Jesus told us about the Father and how much kinder He is than me or any of us are...Matthew 7. https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Matthew-7-9/

I finally started to take Him seriously and started asking Him AND surprised to get answers.

I had a bunch of rachets, extra too, but was missing some sockets that had cracked and a set similar to what you are asking about with sizes that I didn't have surprisingly. Now I'm not saying this to sell you mine because I need these. I just want to encourage and for you to get what you're looking for.

I asked the Lord specifically as if He were in my shop with me one day for the socket set and mini driver that I needed once in a while for mowers, etc.
Guess what Fireball?
Next thing I know, I'm driving down the road and at the busy intersection near a sport arena. I see something that caught my attention. After pulling into the parking lot, I looked down and saw a bunch of sockets strewn all over the road and a box off in the lot. There were no trucks around or jobs or I would have asked if they lost their socket set and helped pick them up.
I picked them up and put them in the insets of the kit. I was surprised to see that they were all there except for maybe one that I already had a duplicate of!!!
If I remember correctly they are Stanley commercial set that you'd not find at Lowes. I don't know if they are US made, but so glad.... not so much for what they are, but for the One Who obviously gave them to me.

I'm speechless......

I spose that’s why you won’t door any bicycle riders in your part of the state, he may be riding your bicycle.
Originally Posted by jackmountain

Guess what Fireball?

I'm speechless......

Hahahahaha

Guess what Fireball?

I found a three way trailer hitch ball laying in the middle of a busy road about twenty years ago. Good times . I thought about fire Balls and his custom socket set back then . I knew one day he would come clean and tell us about his tool affliction.

I have made my living with tools of all types for a few decades now. My rule of thumb has been If I need it go get it as it will pay for itself .If a bargain shows THEN buy it but otherwise do not sweat having everything on hand immediately. Buy as you need - one time use rent it or maybe a cheap HF tool.

anybody that thinks god is answering prayers for socket sets......is more dangerous than blm and Antifa...….bob
Originally Posted by BobMt

anybody that thinks god is answering prayers for socket sets......is more dangerous than blm and Antifa...….bob

You can thank prosperity theology and [bleep] like this guy for that.
Originally Posted by okie

I have made my living with tools of all types for a few decades now. My rule of thumb has been If I need it go get it as it will pay for itself .If a bargain shows THEN buy it but otherwise do not sweat having everything on hand immediately. Buy as you need - one time use rent it or maybe a cheap HF tool.

Same here. High cost of quality is normally the cheapest route.

A Campfire no-no.

Oh no! Another Joo in our midst shocked
Around here the Mexican flea markets can be good besides the pawn shops. Only problem is around here pawn shops and flea markets are the first place lots of guys shop for tools.
I was turning onto the highway one evening at dusk and spied a whole set of tools that somebody had lost off their truck, evidently, just laying beside the road. I live about two and a half miles from where Klein Tools had a plant, and these were mostly Klein's, probably made right there. Socket set, wrenches, adjustable wrench and a bunch of misc. stuff. Figured there was a good chance the guy would come back for it, but it was right by the highway and there was a much better chance the next guy that came along would grab it, so suddenly I had another set of tools. I waited around for awhile before doing anything with them in case somebody came asking. I think I told my cousin, a local farmer with a big mouth, about it and there was still nothing.

A few years before that, my Dad lost his top tray to his toolbox when he left it laying on the heavy squared bumper of his two-ton truck. Went in the four and a half miles to town where he'd been having a tire worked on and it wasn't anywhere to be seen on the highway nor at the tire place. Most of his tools were in the top tray too, as if he was working on something, he'd tend to lay more in there than would even fit if you closed the lid. Lots of American made stuff, mostly Craftsman, that he'd had ever since I could remember.

So tools do show up.
PITA...just get complete sets off Ebay
Farm sales.
Originally Posted by RDW
PITA...just get complete sets off Ebay

#PotlandOregon
#fewbraincells
Well, as it turned out, I went to a few pawn shops looking for guns and tools. Lucked into a shop selling a craftsman roll away chest lower and upper as a set. Included were just inside 400 sockets, a few extensions, knuckle joints, torx sockets, 5 or 6 air guns, cylinder hone, a bunch of flywheel pullers, some diagnostic equipment, some odd ratcheting box end wrenches, and a bunch of misc tools I can't remember, about 30 air gun sockets. The sockets looked all American, Craftsman mostly, some Proto and SK, I only found one unmarked asian one.

Bunches of tools. $299

A friend from Idaho that read this is going through his inventory and sorting some out for me as well. May just make a road trip up to meet him.

Good. Pictures?
Good. Pictures?

I can do that in a bit. Eating a late lunch and headed out to sort things shortly.
Well, as it turned out, I went to a few pawn shops looking for guns and tools. Lucked into a shop selling a craftsman roll away chest lower and upper as a set. Included were just inside 400 sockets, a few extensions, knuckle joints, torx sockets, 5 or 6 air guns, cylinder hone, a bunch of flywheel pullers, some diagnostic equipment, some odd ratcheting box end wrenches, and a bunch of misc tools I can't remember, about 30 air gun sockets. The sockets looked all American, Craftsman mostly, some Proto and SK, I only found one unmarked asian one.

Bunches of tools. $299

A friend from Idaho that read this is going through his inventory and sorting some out for me as well. May just make a road trip up to meet him.

Read this to my wife. She said "dang". My sentiments exactly. What a score.
Bunches of tools. $299

That's a smoking deal. Pawn shops around here want quite a bit more for stuff in my experience. But I haven't checked them in a long time for just that reason so wouldn't know if better deals are to be had now.
Read this to my wife. She said "dang". My sentiments exactly. What a score.

I think this is all of it-

All one really needs is a Mexican metric wrench and good ol
pair of vice grips..
If you have time, you can damn sure find what you need. Ive replaced sockets and wrenches I’ve lost that way. I’ve found a lot of tools at garage sales.

Put a WTB add in the classified section with what you want. You never know
Wow!

When I was a kid, the wrenches were the family jewels.
In 1955 my father got the Craftsman box and open end wrench set.
The whole neighborhood knew we had wrenches, a grinder, and 4" bench vise.

I met my wife in 1976 and she had bought all the tools she needed to replace an overhead camshaft.

In 1985 I started going to garage sales and asking, "Any tools or guns?"

I started buying wrenches like they were underpriced jewels.

Snap on, Bonney, S&K, ..... all the way to just marked: "CHINA". Hundreds of pounds of compulsive buying.

Nothing new, seen it all, until.....

[Linked Image from cdn.mscdirect.com]

Adjustable wrench from Channellock. My new go to wrench.
Ever see a mine wrench?[img]https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1...renchMining_Icon_grande.png?v=1492527688[/img]

It's metric too! I wonder if the hammer is metric also?
That's quite a haul Fireball. Congrats.
And to think some people call you a retard.

Crazy.
I ended up with a couple dozen asian sockets in the batch, the rest are USA, most Craftsman. Almost one complete set. Lots of duplicates to start the next sets.

Crazy.

I know right?

Crazy.

I know right?

I thought he was talking to Fudtardski or LdHoldon.
I ended up with a couple dozen asian sockets in the batch, the rest are USA, most Craftsman. Almost one complete set. Lots of duplicates to start the next sets.

How do you know the difference between an American Craftsman and a Chinese Craftsman?

Crazy.

I know right?

Are you a believer?

How do you know the difference between an American Craftsman and a Chinese Craftsman?

If they don't say Made in the USA they go in the unknown or the asian box if they say Taiwain, China, etc. Some sockets are unmarked. All the Craftsman here are marked made in the USA.

Crazy.

I know right?

Are you a believer?
In retards?

I thought it was the lead-in for a good joke. Maybe a bad joke.

If they don't say Made in the USA they go in the unknown or the asian box if they say Taiwain, China, etc. Some sockets are unmarked. All the Craftsman here are marked made in the USA.

LOL

In retards?

In The Corona.

In retards?

In The Corona.
I've always been firmly in the middle on the whole thing. I thought it was a dangerous disease but didn't know whether the "shutdown" would do any good at all. I firmly believe that it is being used to derail the economy and the President and always have. I don't think the shutdown should go on, but then I thought it would go on about a month and that would be it. I don't want to get it, but I only wore a mask to Walmart once in like, March when nobody was wearing them. Now everybody is wearing masks. I tend to think this latest "spike" is totally bogus and based on false stats, etc. How is anybody "asymptomatic"? Why would those people who don't have symptoms, be tested in the first place other than some glitch? I could go on about various conspiracy theories, but what's the point? Backing off of Trump rallies is a bad idea although if the virus is even real I'm sure crazed Snowflakes will help it out by purposely infecting people at the rallies.

So yes, I believe in retards.
I also believe in made in the USA sockets.

In retards?

In The Corona.
I've always been firmly in the middle on the whole thing. I thought it was a dangerous disease but didn't know whether the "shutdown" would do any good at all. I firmly believe that it is being used to derail the economy and the President and always have. I don't think the shutdown should go on, but then I thought it would go on about a month and that would be it. I don't want to get it, but I only wore a mask to Walmart once in like, March when nobody was wearing them. Now everybody is wearing masks. I tend to think this latest "spike" is totally bogus and based on false stats, etc. How is anybody "asymptomatic"? Why would those people who don't have symptoms, be tested in the first place other than some glitch? I could go on about various conspiracy theories, but what's the point? Backing off of Trump rallies is a bad idea although if the virus is even real I'm sure crazed Snowflakes will help it out by purposely infecting people at the rallies.

When are you going to apologize?
I also believe in made in the USA sockets.

No argument there.

In retards?

In The Corona.

When are you going to apologize?
For believing in retards? Never. I like retards. I probably wouldn't post here otherwise.
How fortuitous your find given the posting of this thread.
How fortuitous your find given the posting of this thread.

I will say that overall the pawn shops are a washout. I got lucky and found just what I needed for a good price, but all the other shops had been picked over. Bins of sockets at one shop and the gal says people sometimes spend hours going through the boxes. No doubt grabbing all the American made stuff. Some shops were $2 and $3 a socket.

You can thank prosperity theology and [bleep] like this guy for that.]

You boys sound like some Bible characters that Jesus used to run into from time to time. They were characters alright. The more things change, the more people stay the same.

They didn't have any prayers answered either.
God wasn't listening to them any more than they listened to God.
I've never been a fan of olsteen or the other TV preachers. There's a big difference between him and me. He doesn't believe you will go to hell without Christ. .........I do. Where do you deserve to go?

I'm here trying to show some kindness to a man and maybe help him out and you mock me and you mock my Father. Jesus warned me not to cast my pearls before swine or they'd turn around and rend me. I didn't know that I was working in the barnyard today. I better go put on my boots.

The Lord has answered a LOT more than my specific requests for tools. Some would call what happened a coincidence because they don't Want to retain God in their knowledge. https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Romans-1-28/
He's given me far more than tools and I'm grateful.
I deserve hell and He's shown me kindness.

Someday the both of you are going to face a crisis and YOU ARE GOING TO NEED GOD and He only knows if He'll pay attention to you.

So where's your destination when you leave this world?

"Because I have called, and ye refused; I have stretched out my hand, and no man regarded; But ye have set at nought all my counsel, and would none of my reproof:
I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh; When your fear cometh as desolation, and your destruction cometh as a whirlwind; when distress and anguish cometh upon you.
Then shall they call upon me, but I will not answer; they shall seek me early, but they shall not find me."

Proverb Number One

You boys sound like some Bible characters that Jesus used to run into from time to time. They were characters alright. The more things change, the more people stay the same.

I've never been a fan of olsteen or the other TV preachers. There's a big difference between him and me. He doesn't believe you will go to hell without Christ. .........I do. Where do you deserve to go?

I'm here trying to show some kindness to a man and maybe help him out and you mock me and you mock my Father. Jesus warned me not to cast my pearls before swine or they'd turn around and rend me. I didn't know that I was working in the barnyard today. I better go put on my boots.

The Lord has answered a LOT more than my specific requests for tools. Some would call what happened a coincidence because they don't Want to retain God in their knowledge. https://www.kingjamesbibleonline.org/Romans-1-28/

Someday the both of you are going to face a crisis and YOU ARE GOING TO NEED GOD and He only knows if He'll pay attention to you.

"Because I have called, and ye refused; I have stretched out my hand, and no man regarded; But ye have set at nought all my counsel, and would none of my reproof:
I also will laugh at your calamity; I will mock when your fear cometh; When your fear cometh as desolation, and your destruction cometh as a whirlwind; when distress and anguish cometh upon you.
Then shall they call upon me, but I will not answer; they shall seek me early, but they shall not find me."

Proverb Number One

Damm, man just wantin' to pick up some cheap sockets, now you're wantin' to turn water into wine and sheit.

"CONSUEEEEELA!!!! Help me find a 9/16, or it's gonna be your ass!!!!"

"CONSUEEEEELA!!!! Help me find a 9/16, or it's gonna be your ass!!!!"

lmao, off looks just like my toolbox. I'll find 10 1/2 inch before a 9/16.
The smartest thing a young man can do when first assembling a tool box, is buy fifty 10mm sockets.

LOL. A lot of truth to that
That HOMAK stuff used to be made in USA. I think two of my workbenches are HOMAK's. One I use for reloading and the other which is identical is just used for a workbench in the basement.

Proverb Number One

You should quit [bleep] around and ask him for $10,000,000.00. If you don't mind, ask him for me too.
I put together a set of 3/8 and 1/2" drive deep wells from scrounging a couple pawn shops. All older Craftsman, and other stuff. When you're tight on money but need these, it's what you do.
I'm getting a handle on it. Need a bunch more socket bars and still need many sockets.

It would be interesting to know where all the tools are, and what I paid for all the auction, and pawn shop tools here.
Originally Posted by mirage243

Proverb Number One

Damm, man just wantin' to pick up some cheap sockets, now you're wantin' to turn water into wine and sheit.

Mirage243,

1. If I'm not mistaken, Fireball 2 started this thread asking for the socket sets for his many rachets.

2. The person whom I quoted was him alone and was addressed to Fireball. If you don't care, that's fine.
My time was spent offering help to someone else. If he wants to use it or not is up to him, not you.

3. Fireball's request reminded me of my fairly recent prayer that God answered. Surprisingly, it was extremely close as to the details.

4. I provided him with my experiences and with my educated opinions. They've worked for me, perhaps someone else can benefit too.

5. Did YOU even read what I originally wrote OR do you just like to take a side and nag like the others?
I said absolutely nothing about turning water into wine. Maybe you are starting to recall something that you heard from a childhood Sunday school class, or your preacher. That was Jesus who performed that miracle. He is God, so He proved that many times by creating food and things like wine/juice at a marriage reception.
All that I can do is ask.
His Father immediately answered by supernaturally making sure that someone left the case of sockets on their fender or truck bed, (I'm guessing), which slid off onto my path the day after I asked Him.
That guy didn't backtrack to find them, or he would've found them in plain view on the curb for a long time.

Contrary to what some would have you to think, this is NOT a " prosperity gospel." This is simply one of many ways that my Father takes care of his children. The true gospel is HOW you get saved from hell and become His child.

"I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you...By which also ye are saved...For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures." -Paul

The gospel of John, says to believe the above message exactly 100 times in that book alone. Coincidence? No, that is called EMPHASIS.

No coincidence could have explained what happened with the sockets either. Jesus told me about the Father and how He takes care of His own.

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
For every one that asketh receiveth... Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone? Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent? If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him? Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them...."

The last sentence is WHY I offered to help the man who started this thread.

Now is the time to get saved, Mirage243 and the rest of you reading this. It's time to quit believing that you are good enough. Just give up on that idea and trust /believe Jesus; what He did for you already to get you out of hell and into heaven. If that's not good news, (gospel), I don't know what is. It sure beats a bunch of money.
"Take it to The Lord in Prayer". My wife and family are answers to my prayers.

happy camper....I would like to be the 1st to apologize for jackmountain and mirage234 ...their behavior has been rude and crass.......bob
Fireballz, when your done make sure it looks like this!

[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
I just hate to think Jesus would knock my tools off my truck, so somebody who prayed for tools would find them in a parking lot.

Can I trust a Jesus like that?

If I don't have tools, I have to pray to Jesus for them.

If I do have tools, I have to pray to Jesus not to knock them off my truck for my brother in Christ?

Then I have to pray to Jesus to knock somebody else's tools off their truck. Maybe He'll knock them off an Atheist's truck, who won't pray for tools and break the chain!

Otherwise, Jesus is going to be pretty busy knocking tools off for everybody.

Jesus!
people actually find decent stuff/deals in pawnshops anymore? the ones i have been to the last few times are overpriced and have mostly yard sale looking crap.

on a side note, i found a snapon socket on the road one time. still have it. when i saw the price they want for those friggen things, i almost schaaat.
Originally Posted by mirage243

Proverb Number One

Mirage243,

1. If I'm not mistaken, Fireball 2 started this thread asking for the socket sets for his many rachets.

2. The person whom I quoted was him alone and was addressed to Fireball. If you don't care, that's fine.
My time was spent offering help to someone else. If he wants to use it or not is up to him, not you.

3. Fireball's request reminded me of my fairly recent prayer that God answered. Surprisingly, it was extremely close as to the details.

4. I provided him with my experiences and with my educated opinions. They've worked for me, perhaps someone else can benefit too.

5. Did YOU even read what I originally wrote OR do you just like to take a side and nag like the others?
I said absolutely nothing about turning water into wine. Maybe you are starting to recall something that you heard from a childhood Sunday school class, or your preacher. That was Jesus who performed that miracle. He is God, so He proved that many times by creating food and things like wine/juice at a marriage reception.
All that I can do is ask.
His Father immediately answered by supernaturally making sure that someone left the case of sockets on their fender or truck bed, (I'm guessing), which slid off onto my path the day after I asked Him.
That guy didn't backtrack to find them, or he would've found them in plain view on the curb for a long time.

Contrary to what some would have you to think, this is NOT a " prosperity gospel." This is simply one of many ways that my Father takes care of his children. The true gospel is HOW you get saved from hell and become His child.

"I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you...By which also ye are saved...For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;
And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures." -Paul

The gospel of John, says to believe the above message exactly 100 times in that book alone. Coincidence? No, that is called EMPHASIS.

No coincidence could have explained what happened with the sockets either. Jesus told me about the Father and how He takes care of His own.

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
For every one that asketh receiveth... Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone? Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent? If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him? Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them...."

The last sentence is WHY I offered to help the man who started this thread.

Now is the time to get saved, Mirage243 and the rest of you reading this. It's time to quit believing that you are good enough. Just give up on that idea and trust /believe Jesus; what He did for you already to get you out of hell and into heaven. If that's not good news, (gospel), I don't know what is. It sure beats a bunch of money.

Dude, save your breath, my father has been a Baptist preacher for almost 50 years, I've seen more church bullsheit than you can imagine. Go save somebody else, your wasting your time trying to shove some televangelist sheit up my ass.

Fireball, sorry about derailing your thread, let's get back to talking sockets now.
I wish I had hours to sort tools.
Mirage,

I'll take part of your advice and save my breath with you. The rest of your experiences about where you've had things shoved before is your personal story.
We don't need to know about it.

Guys,

If you don't like my third point to the thread starter that I've tried to help out, so what.
You've been the ones who have attacked me!
I'm not one of your little girly boys that's going to shut up when you act like juvenile delinquents because I won't put up with your attacks on me or my God. Good grief, it's like talking to a bunch of 15 year olds that don't have a dad to raise you.

Go back and read again:
"I'm here trying to show some kindness to a man and maybe help him out and you mock me and you mock my Father. Jesus warned me not to cast my pearls before swine or they'd turn around and rend me. I didn't know that I was working in the barnyard today. I better go put on my boots."

"Give not that which is holy unto the dogs, neither cast ye your pearls before swine, lest they trample them under their feet, and turn again and rend you."
The smartest thing a young man can do when first assembling a tool box, is buy fifty 10mm sockets.

10mm and 13mm

I use a lot of 10, 13, 17 and 19mm
Originally Posted by crittrgittr
Fireballz, when your done make sure it looks like this!

Showoff grin ... Nice setup. One of these days I'll get my mess organized.
Ballz,

It's obvious you didn't pray for this find. It appears to be more of a deal with the devil.

I could spend a 100 in gas & never find a deal like that in the shops around here. Never seen a shop that didn't break down & separate stuff to nickle & dime it to death.

Good score !

Garage sales, esp those of recently divorced females. Their elated to get rid of the ex's crap that they will never use. Seems that the husband always takes his guns but forgets about a lot of the tools. Ran into one a few weeks back, she was moving and didn't want to move anything associated with him. Spent around $3,000. Best one I ever hit. GW
Originally Posted by gunzo
Ballz,

It's obvious you didn't pray for this find. It appears to be more of a deal with the devil.

I could spend a 100 in gas & never find a deal like that in the shops around here. Never seen a shop that didn't break down & separate stuff to nickle & dime it to death.

Good score !

Ballz must have a mean head game.
Originally Posted by gunzo
I could spend a 100 in gas & never find a deal like that in the shops around here.

Good score !

That's how I feel about it. I catch a used deal here and there, but it can be a time sink. I have my father's old mechanic tool set which is mostly Craftsman with a smattering of JH Williams, Snap-On, etc. Good tools, but the socket and wrench sets had a lot of gaps, so rather than futz around, I bought the Craftsman 540 pc Mechanic's tool set at Sears while they were still made in USA. Several years later I added new SK 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2 socket sets and SK metric and SAE combo wrenches since Craftsman was starting to offshore their tools. There's enough redundancy that it's unlikely I have to run to the store in the middle of a job if something fails.
Originally Posted by Clarkm

When I was a kid, the wrenches were the family jewels.
In 1955 my father got the Craftsman box and open end wrench set.
The whole neighborhood knew we had wrenches, a grinder, and 4" bench vise.

I met my wife in 1976 and she had bought all the tools she needed to replace an overhead camshaft.

In 1985 I started going to garage sales and asking, "Any tools or guns?"

I started buying wrenches like they were underpriced jewels.

Snap on, Bonney, S&K, ..... all the way to just marked: "CHINA". Hundreds of pounds of compulsive buying.

Nothing new, seen it all, until.....

[Linked Image from cdn.mscdirect.com]

Adjustable wrench from Channellock. My new go to wrench.

BIL works in the gravel business. He starts every day with a Snap-On screwdriver that has flathead on one side and phillips on the other and a Snap-On Adjustable wrench in his pocket. He's fixed hundreds of things over the years with just those 2 tools. That Snap-On "Flank Drive" adjustable wrench is one of the few things that its worth paying the money. Its 1000% tighter made than a cheapy.
I have been trying to build a open end wrench set from the late '40s. It's slow going in pawn shops. I've had better luck at the fleamarket when it was allowed. Sockets and wrenches from the better Taiwanese manufacturers are easily as good as Snap-On from the '60s.. The subtle design improvements are noticeable. Current Snap-On are still better. Having said that I use tools from the "60s '70s and the '80s . Knowing your brands is the secret . We all know Craftsman but there were better quality brands.
© 24hourcampfire