Home
I bought a small bottle today for my kit. They use it in hospitals.

What do you think?
Can't hurt.
It works, I keep it my truck. work with razor knives.

It works.
Absolutely. Great way to close up a wound especially when stitches aren’t an immediate option
Quick clot is good also. Make sure you have glue for skin....aka dermabond or similar, not over the counter super glue. Also clean wound prior to using, otherwise you may get a nasty infection.
The rule of medicine that is always correct: First, do no harm. If you don't have training in wound care stick to bandaids and steristrips. Knowledge solves problems, gear makes you feel good. There is a ton of good info available on the internet if you want to learn.

mike r
Sounds like a great idea. I knew they had that glue in hospitals but are we talking regular old super glue? I always thought the hospitals had some special medical grade stuff without all the nasty chemicals. But I know nothing of all this. Is super glue safe on skin? Sounds great if it is.
How do medical professionals feel about it? What do they say when someone shows up with a wound super-glued together?
Jake's wife is a surgical nurse, she tells me they use it. I'm sure I'd only use it in a dire emergency, then to a hospital as soon as possible.
Originally Posted by 22250rem
Sounds like a great idea. I knew they had that glue in hospitals but are we talking regular old super glue? I always thought the hospitals had some special medical grade stuff without all the nasty chemicals. But I know nothing of all this. Is super glue safe on skin? Sounds great if it is.

they have glue especially for skin but regular old super glue will work if its all you have.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Jake's wife is a surgical nurse, she tells me they use it. I'm sure I'd only use it in a dire emergency, then to a hospital as soon as possible.

Do they clean the wound first or seal the pathogens in?

I've used it a few times to seal deep penetrating corneal wounds, but if it's a perforation, they will need most likely need intraocular antibiotics injected. Some topicals can penetrate to deep corneal wound bacteria.
I use super glue frequently for cuts and have put a few stitches in myself . Great for those splits in the tips of fingers too. Another product besides Quick-Clot that fits in small First Aid Kits is available at Walgreens. Called Wound Seal. It comes in a small plastic container with 4-6 small packets that you open individually and pour on a cut.It stops bleeding and forms a false scab.

After sewing myself up with a suture needle for horses and 2# mono fishing line, I got my doctor to write a script for a couple of suture kits that can be bought from a medical supply house.You can also get a few vials of deadening agent and syringes, but I prefer to just sew a wound up and dispense with the syringe.Some wounds don't lend themselves to super glue
The "do no harm", is the 64 dollar question. Bleed to death? I also have blood clotting powder, that can case a stroke.

I pray I, or any of us never need them.
If you’re about to bleed to death, you need a tourniquet before you need krazy glue.
A couple of Little Debbie oatmeal creme pies is always good to keep in your kit too.
As someone said Super Glue isn't always the best for larger injuries. Another option is Saran Wrap. Wrap it around the appendage that is bleeding, snug enough to hold things together and get to some help.
I don't think Super Glue is what they use in the hospitals. I believe it's especially formulated for medical needs. Not positive on that though.
The "do no harm", is the 64 dollar question. Bleed to death? I also have blood clotting powder, that can case a stroke.

I pray I, or any of us never need them.

Buy gear instead of gaining knowledge, it is much easier. Blood clotting powder? Imagine the effect of the wind blowing into your eyes. You pray, I'll learn. One thing I have learned in life is that the easy way is rarely the best way. This is the information age, learning has never been easier, the innanets have value for those that make the effort.

mike r
I have used it for such - it works.
They make liquid bandaid in a small bottle. Works great for the little owies! Leave the super glue for what it's made for.....
Thanks all serious replies, this place can be a good place to learn.
I use Super Glue frequently to seal splits in my fingertips. I've used it on larger cuts as well. Before using, make sure the wound is clean - you might want to put some Tincture of iodine on the wound as well, which will not interfere with the glue's ability to seal the wound, like an antiseptic ointment will. Then, pinch both sides together and apply the Super Glue - hold the wound together until dry. Do not introduce Super Glue into the body, which could cause problems and even poisoning. My kit also contains sutures, butterfly bandages, clotting agent/bandages and a fifth of Scotch. Don't forget the Scotch.
In 1968 when I was 6 weeks old, the surgeon used superglue to close the incision he made in me to fix a bad stomach valve. Worked good then, don’t see why it wouldn’t now.
Originally Posted by slumlord
If you’re about to bleed to death, you need a tourniquet before you need krazy glue.

Usually multiples. I carry 2 for a limb and prefer more
I have the glue that is made for that. It is called New Skin .As mentioned above it comes in a small bottle with a small brush applicator.

I used some this week on a cut . You need to keep reapplying it as it will come loose at the edges. take off the old put on some new.
We superglued a big gash on my boy's forehead one time. It was a prize he got from pestering one of his younger sisters too much. Worked great and didn't leave a scar.
I bought a small bottle today for my kit. They use it in hospitals.

What do you think?

I think anybody having first aid administered upon them, by you, is in dire need of another person.
Been using on dogs for years
Original cyanoacrylates were sold by Kodak to Locite. Later formulations have molecular additions that reduce their toxicity.(butyl and octyl) are derivatives used in the ones sold for medical closure. All are rapidly polymerized by moisture in long chain polymers. adhesive is superior in time required to close wounds, and infection prevention. (not including topical antibiotics).

Large areas can cause chemical burns. Sensitization to fumes can occur resulting in flu symptoms, and extreme cases asthma. the octyl derivative is preferred.

Analogs are used on a regular basis in dental work

Biggest downside is shelf life which is short, year at most

good advice
Originally Posted by High_Noon
I use Super Glue frequently to seal splits in my fingertips. I've used it on larger cuts as well. Before using, make sure the wound is clean - you might want to put some Tincture of iodine on the wound as well, which will not interfere with the glue's ability to seal the wound, like an antiseptic ointment will. Then, pinch both sides together and apply the Super Glue - hold the wound together until dry. Do not introduce Super Glue into the body, which could cause problems and even poisoning. My kit also contains sutures, butterfly bandages, clotting agent/bandages and a fifth of Scotch. Don't forget the Scotch.

I run a lathe. Peel a nail back to the middle of your thumb.

Superglue it flat and it won’t catch on stuff.

For real cuts .......Zip Stich.......$$$$ but they work.......
My dogs would occasionally chew on each other. Never had to make a vet trip after packing the wound with nitrofurazone and wrapping with vet wrap. Cyanoacrylate was used for split pads and broken nails. I only carried a dog first aid kit. Never used it on myself but wouldn’t hesitate. Oh, I carried a sterile syringe and sterile water to irrigate first.
I used it on bird dogs many a time!!!
They glued my leg & chest incisions after I had my open heart surgery four years ago. They DO NOT use industrial-grade superglue...
Liquid skin is better.
Someone taking care of my father kicked a rock and split a toe.

The emergency room put a drop of super glue on the toe.

I had to pay a $2k medical bill.

An insurance company could have negotiated that down.
Liquid skin is better.
Not practical.

When you need it, it's rock hard.

Much better options.
[quote=TimberRunner}....When you need it, it's rock hard.. .. [/quote]

Yeah, but just wait until you get older.
I take medication daily that makes me
bleed profusely from a relatively minor
wound. Not ordinary bleeding, but running
off and dripdripdripdripdrip and making a
puddle.
I use and have used Woundseal and Bleedstop
on wounds that won't stop with continued
applied pressure.
My doctor told me that the popular quikclot
is more or less powdered clay and is just
only slightly better than bleeding out.
And I'm aware of how dangerous a tourniquet
can be in untrained hands. It's use is for
someone knocking on death's door only.
Most all wounds I've ever dealt with could be
fixed with a common band aid or needed a
professional suture job.
I'm afraid the damned internet spreads more
BS info besides all the hooey on reloading
Originally Posted by AJ300MAG
They glued my leg & chest incisions after I had my open heart surgery four years ago. They DO NOT use industrial-grade superglue...

Who is "they" ?
The medical grade differs from the otc that we buy because it doesn't contain a certain toxin.
It works for superficial cuts...sometimes.
I've used it with various degrees of success.
It's not as durable as sutures normally. Keep in mind,
I'm not a surgeon. I only play one on TV.

The wound that requires a tourniquet is comparing apples to oranges.

There's a variety of wounds, cuts , abrasions, bites, punctures, etc...
Different treatments for different boo-boos the emergency room doctors will explain.

The last few decades I've been fortunate to practice medicine without a license.....

.....on myself.
Oops I forgot. I had a deep laceration that I was concerned about scaring. The urgent Care doctor put a band aid on it. LOL!
Originally Posted by add

Who is "they" ?

Probably the CT surgeon who did his cabg and his resident/NP/PA/1st assist who did his vein harvest and closure.

The product most commonly used is dermabond (an ethicon/j&j product) but there are others. Dermabond has more elasticity and flexibility than standard superglue, but superglue will certainly work for minor lacerations - rock climbers have been using it for years.
Many years ago, my 2-1/2 year old daughter split her eyebrow, a vertical cut. At the ER, they decided to glue it. It didn't work, the only result being a mass of superglue, congealed blood, and eyebrow hair. And residents looking at each other like "WTF?!?." Six hours later we escaped the ER with a single stitch.

Afterward, our pediatrician friend said, "That was stupid, you never glue a vertical cut."

Was telling the story just last weekend to another friend, an ENT doc. He said, "That was stupid, you never use glue on the face."
Originally Posted by Ranger99
puddle.
applied pressure.

Great product, been using Woundseal for years.
It has taken the place of a few stiches more than once.
It's not an antiseptic, gotta clean the cut first.

Super glue would by far be a last resort idea.
Originally Posted by JeffA
Originally Posted by Ranger99
puddle.
applied pressure.

Great product, been using Woundseal for years.
It has taken the place of a few stiches more than once.
It's not an antiseptic, gotta clean the cut first.

Super glue would by far be a last resort idea.

Had never heard of "woundseal", I am still at the "loose bit of shirt" stage.
Try it, you'll find it works rather well.

[Linked Image from images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com]

I shall give it a whirl.
Originally Posted by JSTUART

I shall give it a whirl.

Just get yourself a menstrual pad rather than gluing yer pussy shut.....
Originally Posted by johnn

I shall give it a whirl.

Ahh...the cop hater, out to make friends and influence people.

I shall give it a whirl.

Ahh...the cop hater, out to make friends and influence people.

Do you moonlight for CNN...? Because you have a way of putting words in other peoples mouths, but then again, you are a reactive sort, much like a woman during THAT time of the month....

You cant accept another's opinion, so you make sh it up, thats the way it is for some..... I know you cant help it...

Do you moonlight for CNN...? Because you have a way of putting words in other peoples mouths, but then again, you are a reactive sort, much like a woman during THAT time of the month....

You cant accept another's opinion, so you make sh it up, thats the way it is for some..... I know you cant help it...

You win...you are definitely too stupid for me.

You win...you are definitely too stupid for me.

Bout time, i was getting tired of arguing with a pig.

I shall give it a whirl.

Well, that was helpful.
They make liquid bandaid in a small bottle. I also use the butterfly bandages with the liquid bandage...........

JeffA, are you buying it online or somewhere here locally?
Originally Posted by AKwolverine
Originally Posted by add

Who is "they" ?

Probably the CT surgeon who did his cabg and his resident/NP/PA/1st assist who did his vein harvest and closure.

The product most commonly used is dermabond (an ethicon/j&j product) but there are others. Dermabond has more elasticity and flexibility than standard superglue, but superglue will certainly work for minor lacerations - rock climbers have been using it for years.

Yup...
The thorasic surgeon stepped out as soon as he finished his part, left the closing up to another surgeon. I'm not sure he even wired my sternum back together. The surgical team was kind of in a hurry so the leg cut was a single incision starting above the knee and ends at the ankle.
Originally Posted by local_dirt

JeffA, are you buying it online or somewhere here locally?

Jeff, thanks for the tip.

I got a couple packs like you pictured plus a larger bottle for the first aid kit in the truck off Amazon.

There's a product named Liquid Bandage that's a sterile super glue. It comes in small bottles and works great on tiny nicks and those little dry air cracks that you get in your fingers when spending a lot of time outdoors. It's readily available on the shelves at super market pharmacy dept., Walgreens, CVS, etc. I always keep some in my base camp first aid kit.
Liquid Bandage lasts about 30 minutes. Regular Krazy glue lasts a day or two.

We have a vending machine at work for the maintenance department. Bunch of consumables we use often are stocked in it. About 75% of the time krazy glue is taken from the machine is to close up a minor wound.

Work in food industry, bleeding is a no no. Not talking stitches type cuts, but anything that is bleeding that falls short of stitches gets krazy glue. Not company mandated, just what we all do.

None of us have ever had an infection or any negative effects....but we may all be poisoning ourselves slowly. Who knows.
I profoundly wish we could have a thread that didn't degenerate into diatribe and vilification. Grow up, little boys.

I had occasion a year ago to treat a deep finger cut while on a houseboat fishing trip, many miles and many hours away from any kind of medical help. The houseboat's "first aid kit" was a shambles, having been pilfered over the years until it was down to a few bandaids. Luckily, I also had my own little kit along, so I was able to first apply antibiotic. It was a cream, so I applied it, let it sit for a while under a bandaid, and then used super glue to close, with more bandaids.

I have since assembled a much better kit for the houseboat, in case I'm invited along again. I'm going to include some of that Wound Seal in it as well as some good bandages, tape, and medical glue.
Before the virus closing I put a kit in our church, beat up the intruder, then patch him up!
After all the input here I suppose I could use it if needed. I have some super glue here. Made by loctite and the warnings state that it may cause allergic reactions, and may cause burns, can cause severe eye injury, and avoid skin & eye contact. But I've had that stuff stuck on an uninjured finger many times with no reactions. So I guess in a pinch I'll give it a whirl. I just hope there's not some type of carcinogenic "payback" coming somewhere years down the road.
Dress with gauze pads and bandage with tape, a triangle bandage or some Kerlix/vet wrap.

Clean first.
Our CVS here has medical grade Super Glue, which I purchased a couple of years ago. Once you open it and use it, throw the rest away. Regular super glue is not good for your skin.
I commercially pan fish most of the year and often suffer from cuts and splits on my fingers and thumb especially in the winter. I tried the liquid skin but it doesn't hold up. Super glue is what I found best for keeping the splits from getting worse.
New Skin is pretty cool, and smells good too.
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
New Skin is pretty cool, and smells good too.

[Linked Image from media2.giphy.com]
Blu Kote is amazing. Kills athletes foot, and sterilizes wounds.

Wonder Dust sprinkled on a cut works too.
Originally Posted by 22250rem
After all the input here I suppose I could use it if needed. I have some super glue here. Made by loctite and the warnings state that it may cause allergic reactions, and may cause burns, can cause severe eye injury, and avoid skin & eye contact. But I've had that stuff stuck on an uninjured finger many times with no reactions. So I guess in a pinch I'll give it a whirl. I just hope there's not some type of carcinogenic "payback" coming somewhere years down the road.

Yep, dont squirt that stuff in your eye. Painful as all get out. A vet I treated who filled his eyes with it when the tube exploded in his face while trying to glue an operated cat up. Bofe eyes. Assistant drove him in because of pain. I had told them to just soak in AB ung on the phone before he came in not realizing how bad it was.
He ended up taking a piece of a pain pill for horses after I got a little erythromycin ung in one eye after getting enough out of the lashes to get the lid open a bit. It took a few days of working on him as the suff loosened up and patching him to prevent corneal tears and abrasions.

A day or so later a little AA boy came in with one eye glued shut. This was after 10 years with no such cases.

Yep. Dont get it in your eyes or squeeze hard to squirt some out of a tube.
I use 3M Vetbond. Non-toxic and it is dyed blue so easier to tell where the stuff is and isn't.
A few years back when i was living in the Keys i had 2 brothers both Dentists out fishing on the reef.
I had broken a tooth off on my partial plate which was very visable.
One of them asked me if the tooth had been broken, to which i said no, it simply came off the plate while i was biting down on an apple.
He then said just use some Super Glue to put it back on the plate.
I looked at him i guess in disbelief of what he said.
But he laughed and said how do you think we fix them?
I did it and it held up just fine with no issues.
If we are talking about stitches..... If it's a long ways to town and not arterial bleeding, Wound Seal or vet's Wonder Dust (Tractor Supply) is the berries with a kotex pressure bandage held on with electrical tape. The loggers friend. Chain saw cuts are gory. The little commonly sold first aid kits are useless, other than the gauze pads and rolls of gauze.
If you seal the entire wound there's no drainage. Get an infection under that and you end up with a real mess. So warned my vet friend who had to deal with that.
Is it recommended to stall diarrhea until you get back to camp?
A good start for many would be to enter wound care in the search box on You Tube. Some excellent presentations from professionals. Or you can just buy some tourniquets and a jug of super glue and go full bubba.grin

mike r
Originally Posted by lvmiker
A good start for many would be to enter wound care in the search box on You Tube. Some excellent presentations from professionals. Or you can just buy some tourniquets and a jug of super glue and go full bubba.grin

mike r

Not an EMT or anything close, but folks that have worked with stock and in remote/semi-remote areas are by and large passing familiar with stopping a bleed, and wound care. Physiology can't be that different.

mike r

Improper use of a tourniquet could cost a limb or worse, kill your patient, if you don’t know how to properly use one.

I’m a good field medic. I even carry a 5 mil bottle of Lidocaine for suturing. Mucho better than saying “here, take a long pull on my whiskey flask and hold still”.....Grins 😎
What do ya mean? Tourniquets are excellent for head wounds. No patient has complained yet.

Actually short of a traumatic amputation tourniquets are almost always a bad idea.

There's a crazy idea.
Originally Posted by RDW
Is it recommended to stall diarrhea until you get back to camp?

That would be a cork wouldn't it?
I have had the medical grade super glue in my first aid kits for maybe 15 years. I have used it twice, both for moderate lacerations on others, away from town that would have usually required a few stitches.

(Full disclosure, I think people get stitches as a knee jerk reaction. I probably should have had 40--50 in my life, instead, I have 3 small scars in non-obvious places just because I wrapped it and kept the site clean)

I have had one injury I do wish I'd had proper care for. This Jan, snorkeling in Cabo. Sliced my big toe on some coral. Way into the muscle, close to the bone. Swam for an hour, walked up the beach 100 yards, through the sand, to my chair. Blood trail behind me the whole way. A few minutes later my Dad said, "look at your toe". I was kinda pulsing blood.

I cleaned it out the best I could with vottled water. Wrapped it tight, called it good.

This was days later, and looked the same 2 weeks later. Sand still coming out of the wound.

[Linked Image]

It is June and random sand still emerges from that toe.
Originally Posted by Beaver10

mike r

Improper use of a tourniquet could cost a limb or worse, kill your patient, if you don’t know how to properly use one.

I’m a good field medic. I even carry a 5 mil bottle of Lidocaine for suturing. Mucho better than saying “here, take a long pull on my whiskey flask and hold still”.....Grins 😎

5 ml of Lidocaine? Dammit, man, I want 30 mg of morphine sulphate! I am in pain.

mike r

How do you fugk up a tourniquet?
Originally Posted by duck911
Sand still coming out of the wound.

I'd say.
Originally Posted by deflave

mike r

How do you fugk up a tourniquet?

Leave it on too long and not loosen to allow some blood flow to tissue.

That's kinda old school isn't it?

They're not teaching that no more.

That's kinda old school isn't it?

They're not teaching that no more.

Give me a break, I am getting old.
LOL
In a pinch, black pepper will stop bleeding.
The finer ground, the better.

A friend uses it on horses and cows, he does a lot
of cutting on them that most would call a vet for.

He does the pepper on himself also.
I always wondered if it worked, and if it stung as bad as I thought it might.

Cur my finger good and deep one day, it just wouldn't stop bleeding.
I knew tapeing it would be ok, but had to stop the leak.
So, thinking of Jimmy, I dumped some pepper on, and pushed it in.

Those questions?

Yes, and Ahh Fuuuuuuuuk! Yes!
Lasts a minute or to also.
Sand still coming out of the wound.

I'd say.

laugh
Cyanoacrylate has been used in medicine as far back as the Korean War. I had retired Army surgeons tell me they used used it. It worked but "left some big scars". Used in MASH units and to close up skin in the first order emergency treatment.
I have had the medical grade super glue in my first aid kits for maybe 15 years. I have used it twice, both for moderate lacerations on others, away from town that would have usually required a few stitches.

(Full disclosure, I think people get stitches as a knee jerk reaction. I probably should have had 40--50 in my life, instead, I have 3 small scars in non-obvious places just because I wrapped it and kept the site clean)

I have had one injury I do wish I'd had proper care for. This Jan, snorkeling in Cabo. Sliced my big toe on some coral. Way into the muscle, close to the bone. Swam for an hour, walked up the beach 100 yards, through the sand, to my chair. Blood trail behind me the whole way. A few minutes later my Dad said, "look at your toe". I was kinda pulsing blood.

I cleaned it out the best I could with vottled water. Wrapped it tight, called it good.

This was days later, and looked the same 2 weeks later. Sand still coming out of the wound.

[Linked Image]

It is June and random sand still emerges from that toe.

Cabo is not a snorkeling destination.

You fish in Cabo.. and drink.
© 24hourcampfire