Home
Posted By: dale06 TV size - 06/14/20
I have a large basement that I want to put in a flat screen tv.

Looking at Samsung as have had very good results with that brand.

The debate is 65” vs 75”.

I guess on these larger TVs you have to spend more to get a very good pic and avoid blurr on fast moving scenes on the tv.

Any advice from those that have a 65” or 75” diagonal screen TV.

Posted By: Bristoe Re: TV size - 06/14/20
The bigger the TV,...the bigger the 'boo that's on it.
Posted By: yaderehey Re: TV size - 06/14/20
Never talked to anyone who wished they would have gone smaller on a TV...on the other hand...
Posted By: wabigoon Re: TV size - 06/14/20
The farther away you are, the bigger the TV. A 32" is big enough for me. Our humble cabin has a 24", that's big enough , small room.
Posted By: add Re: TV size - 06/14/20
Run it past this guy.

[Linked Image from media.tenor.com]
Spend $1000 on a 90" TV,...you got a 90" boo against the wall tellin you that you suck.

No thanks.
Posted By: bigfish9684 Re: TV size - 06/14/20
Google viewing distance vs. diagonal measurment. It will tell you what you need.
Posted By: 5thShock Re: TV size - 06/14/20
Why debate? Is there a retail showroom where you can see a 65" and larger? We're using a 46" diagonal at a viewing distance of around 8 feet and wouldn't go smaller. Your audio will have a lot to do with the overall impact of whatever size you get.
Posted By: 1minute Re: TV size - 06/14/20
If I have to exercise my neck to watch tennis, the screen is too big.
Posted By: dale06 Re: TV size - 06/14/20
Thanks big fish
Posted By: slumlord Re: TV size - 06/14/20
Matlock is going be really exciting at 75”, you’ll feel like you’re sittin in the jury loft.
Posted By: KentuckyMountainMan Re: TV size - 06/14/20
75 inch is the way I went ....No regrets
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: TV size - 06/14/20
75's are coming down in price and look good at 4k.
,...spend alla that money on a big ass TV,...next thing yanno you got Rev Al Sharpton's big fuggin' eggplant head all over your living room wall,...

,..fug that.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Matlock is going be really exciting at 75”, you’ll feel like you’re sittin in the jury loft.

Sear sucker suit in max pixel.
Might even catch the hair growin out of Rachel Maddow’s neck mole
Speaking of TVs,...my wife left it on when she left earlier,..I think it's on NegroBroadCasting. I seem to recall that no eared negro cheering on the rioters earlier when the news was on.

Anyway,...they're showing old music clips of Carol King singing "You're So Vain".

That's one horsefaced wench,...I'm tellin ya what.

Secretariat ain't got schitt on her.
Posted By: TimberRunner Re: TV size - 06/14/20
It's like cock size. Too big ain't a thing.
Posted By: TxHunter80 Re: TV size - 06/14/20
I just went through this. I ended up with a higher end Samsung 65" over the 75". I don't know what you want to spend but the better 75" are still up there in price. Like mentioned above, do some research on viewing distance, angles, etc.
Originally Posted by wabigoon
A 32" is big enough for me.

[Linked Image from i.gifer.com]
Catch a boo running away from Walmart at 2AM,..you can get a big ass TV for 35 dollahs these days.
Originally Posted by slumlord
Might even catch the hair growin out of Rachel Maddow’s neck mole

Which one?
Posted By: hanco Re: TV size - 06/14/20
Go check them out at Walley World.
Posted By: Kodiakisland Re: TV size - 06/14/20
Really depends how far from the TV you are. My Dad had a 70+ TV for a couple years and finally got rid of it. His seating was too close and it really wasn't a lot of fun to watch. Kinda like sitting in the front row at the movie theater.
Posted By: tpcollins Re: TV size - 06/14/20
I have a 65” Samsung Q80, the 75” would be too big in my situation.
Appreciate all the feedback.
Posted By: hasbeen1945 Re: TV size - 06/14/20
Depends on room size. We have a 75 in a very large room. Doesn’t seem to big. Hasbeen
Posted By: Swifty52 Re: TV size - 06/14/20
Good rule of thumb. Although some manufacturers do specify optimum viewing distance.

Viewing distance (in inches)/2 = recommended TV size.
Posted By: antelope_sniper Re: TV size - 06/14/20
Originally Posted by Bristoe
,...spend alla that money on a big ass TV,...next thing yanno you got Rev Al Sharpton's big fuggin' eggplant head all over your living room wall,...

,..fug that.

Then don't watch linear TV.

Get a few subscription services and watch what you want, when you want. I don't think an image of Shaprton's EVER been on my current living room TV.
Posted By: joken2 Re: TV size - 06/14/20

Between the two sizes I'd go with whichever has the best clarity and realistic color and sound for your price point.

A few things you also might want to take into consideration beyond size are judging a TV's picture and sound quality by how it performs in the store display can be deceiving as stores often have them running on a closed circuit proprietary channel.

Another is every few years manufactures stop production on specific models and stores sell them at reduced prices. As often as not the close out priced TVs can sometimes be better deals overall than their more recent models.

Also long term reliability are hard to determine due to the relative short production lifespan and most customer reviews are made in the first few months or less of ownership.

Good Luck...

Thanks for the comments.
Some were quite helpful.
Posted By: champlain_islander Re: TV size - 06/14/20
I only got a 55 curved Samsung QLED. Picture size is perfect for my living room and I have a Yamaha YSP 2700 sound system. Movies show pretty good on that set up.
Posted By: alwaysoutdoors Re: TV size - 06/14/20
I can’t see how a 65” TV is too small unless you have a personal theatre.
Who needs a tv when you have plenty of old Herter’s catalogs and the Time/Life’s The Old West book series, with the look and feel of hand-tooled saddle leather.
Posted By: Smokey262 Re: TV size - 06/14/20
Is price a concern? I would rather have a high grade 65 OLED than a low spec 75 and would pay more than the 75 for it. You really have to see these things in person to make a decision. My main room viewing tv is a 65 with the primary user watching it from 10' away. A 75 would not be too big. I usually sit about 14' from it and have no troubles seeing anything, but again, a 75 would be awesome. My next will be a 75 or bigger OLED but I will wait a bit for the prices to come down on them.
Posted By: Orion2000 Re: TV size - 06/14/20
Originally Posted by hasbeen1945
Depends on room size. We have a 75 in a very large room. Doesn’t seem to big. Hasbeen

This ^^^^^^ . Just hung a nice 75" flat screen in our church fellowship hall. The fellowship hall will be used for overflow seating during Covid mandated social distancing. The screen looked huge when we were mounting it. However, at 50 to 60 feet, it is underwhelming.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: TV size - 06/14/20
I think that the general idea is that if the people on the screen aren't life-size, then it isn't worth it.
Posted By: SamOlson Re: TV size - 06/14/20
We're are still sportin' a 10 year old 46" Samsung.

Just checked and we watch at about 12-25' depending on where you're at in the room.

No issues viewing, nice TV at the time, great picture.

I wouldn't mind a slightly larger version of the same TV but at the same time don't like a TV that 'dominates' the room. No jumbo-tron needed in our little house.

But you're talkin' a bonafide party/football watching TV then bigger is most certainly better.
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: TV size - 06/14/20
I could use a 70" but if I can get a 55" Roku for under $300 I will get by.
Posted By: Northman Re: TV size - 06/14/20
Sitting 10ft away from a 75"..

Never have to go to the cinema again... smile

But, still regret not going for the 85"..

I would suggest the higher end Sonys. They have the best motion control if you like to watch sports or fast paced movies.
Posted By: deflave Re: TV size - 06/14/20
I have a 65" in my den and a 75" in the living room.

Both Samsung.

I would hold off until Black Frigay and try to snag an 80" or better. They will be discounted heavily this year.
Posted By: Snyper Re: TV size - 06/14/20
I still remember when anything over 19" was considered "big", and you had to walk across the room to change channels.
Posted By: duck911 Re: TV size - 06/14/20
In my house, 75", 4k, High Dynamic Range, 120hz works perfectly for our viewing distance.

Know that depending on your broadcast source, some of that technology is not as effective, if at all. (If you are streaming a throttled Netflix program over a chitty wifi connection, it is just going to BLOW, even if you habe HDR, 4K, etc)

Also, these slim TVs these days sacrifice sound quality for picture.

If you dont have a full, dedicated surround system, a good soundbar/subwoofer set up should be automatically considered as part of the purchase price.
Posted By: Kodiakisland Re: TV size - 06/14/20
Originally Posted by Smokey262
Is price a concern? I would rather have a high grade 65 OLED than a low spec 75 and would pay more than the 75 for it. You really have to see these things in person to make a decision. My main room viewing tv is a 65 with the primary user watching it from 10' away. A 75 would not be too big. I usually sit about 14' from it and have no troubles seeing anything, but again, a 75 would be awesome. My next will be a 75 or bigger OLED but I will wait a bit for the prices to come down on them.

OLED really shines if you view the TV at an angle. Most TVs have poor color and clarity very quickly at any angle, but OLEDs hang on to it the best. Our living room is set up where a lot of the viewing is at an angle. We've had OLEDs for several years now. They are well worth the money, especially since they all handle Dolby vision as well as HDR10.
Posted By: deflave Re: TV size - 06/14/20
Originally Posted by Snyper
I still remember when anything over 19" was considered "big", and you had to walk across the room to change channels.

WOW!!!
Posted By: MtnBoomer Re: TV size - 06/14/20
In like '76 we got a 19" color TV! Damn we was stylin'.
Posted By: duck911 Re: TV size - 06/14/20
Originally Posted by Kodiakisland

OLED really shines if you view the TV at an angle. Most TVs have poor color and clarity very quickly at any angle, but OLEDs hang on to it the best. Our living room is set up where a lot of the viewing is at an angle. We've had OLEDs for several years now. They are well worth the money, especially since they all handle Dolby vision as well as HDR10.

Side note:

I can't emphasize HDR enough. I work regularly with CableLabs (non-profit, standards-based think tank and certification lab in Colorado for all things cable/tv/telecommunications).

That have a MASSIVE lab with hundreds of thousands of dollars of audio/visual/tv equipment. They pay people to come on and sample all kinds of video and sound and compile tens of thousands of test points for their research and certification.

Anyhow, they showed me the results of one study, live in their lab.

720p with high HDR, vs 4K with low HDR (paraphrased, too much detail to go into).

Bottom line: the human eye perceives depth of color as WAY more impactfull to a TV picture, compared to extra pixels which have diminishing returns as our eyes can't see past a certain level of detail.

That, according to the scientists. My experience agrees with that conclusion.
Posted By: Windfall Re: TV size - 06/15/20
The wife told me that she wanted us to get a new smart TV instead of using the Roku, so I sure as heck wasn't going to get a smaller one. I researched the LG OLED and Samsung QLED new systems and 8k TV's, but honestly since we only watch broadcast TV, I wasn't going to justify the much higher price since they don't broadcast in anything higher than 1080i and often 720p or lower around here. I went from a 15 year old 55" plasma TV to a Sony XBR-75X900F 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV and couldn't be happier. I just got done watching 60 Minutes and could see individual hairs out of place on the host, Scott Pelley. My viewing distance is 13 feet and that 75" is ideal. Actually the new one is only 8 inches wider overall and 50 pounds lighter than my old 55" plasma set because the speakers are underneath instead of on either side of the picture. I left lots of my hearing at the rifle range, so high fidelity is wasted on me and the sound is as good or better and way more adjustable than my old TV.
Posted By: Kodiakisland Re: TV size - 06/15/20
Originally Posted by Windfall
The wife told me that she wanted us to get a new smart TV instead of using the Roku, so I sure as heck wasn't going to get a smaller one. I researched the LG OLED and Samsung QLED new systems and 8k TV's, but honestly since we only watch broadcast TV, I wasn't going to justify the much higher price since they don't broadcast in anything higher than 1080i and often 720p or lower around here. I went from a 15 year old 55" plasma TV to a 75" 4K Ultra HD Smart LED TV and couldn't be happier. I just got done watching 60 Minutes and could see individual hairs out of place on the host, Scott Pelley. My viewing distance is 13 feet and that 75" is ideal. Actually the new one is only 8 inches wider overall and 50 pounds lighter than my old 55" plasma set because the speakers are underneath instead of on either side of the picture. I left lots of my hearing at the rifle range, so high fidelity is wasted on me and the sound is as good or better and way more adjustable than my old TV.

Source content is definitely a factor, although broadcast TV will continue to improve. I imagine a lot of people are still watching DVDs on their 4K TVs, and for that the cheaper ones will certainly do. Once I got my OLED TV several years ago I got rid of my DVDs. I mostly watch sports and movies, so Blu-ray and 4K discs are the bulk of my watching.
Posted By: 5sdad Re: TV size - 06/15/20
Maybe this could be combined with the optics forum. smile
Posted By: duck911 Re: TV size - 06/15/20
Originally Posted by deflave

Both Samsung.

I would hold off until Black Frigay and try to snag an 80" or better. They will be discounted heavily this year.

Yes, size of TV and name of room.

I'd go with this advice.
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: TV size - 06/15/20
I have a 65" samsung in my living room and wish it was a 75". My usual seat it over 10 ft away so 75 would be better. Two years ago at the price point I wanted to be I had to go 65 to get the better 240 refresh rate. I hate the choppiness or judder in the cheaper lcds. I miss my old Panasonic G10 thx certified plasma.

If you are 10 feet or more away get a 75 and make sure it has at least a 240 refresh rate. Most of the 800 or 8000 series stuff has the faster refresh rate. My plasma was 600 htz refresh. The cheaper 120 htz refresh stuff just doesn't work for me.

Bb
Posted By: deflave Re: TV size - 06/15/20
Originally Posted by duck911

Both Samsung.

I'd go with this advice.

OK, homo.
Posted By: duck911 Re: TV size - 06/15/20

Both Samsung.

I'd go with this advice.

OK, homo.

This thread has lapped you twice. Just shut up and learn, and don't derail it for once in your life.
Posted By: deflave Re: TV size - 06/15/20

This thread has lapped you twice. Just shut up and learn, and don't derail it for once in your life.

OK, homo.
Originally Posted by Burleyboy
I have a 65" samsung in my living room and wish it was a 75". My usual seat it over 10 ft away so 75 would be better. Two years ago at the price point I wanted to be I had to go 65 to get the better 240 refresh rate. I hate the choppiness or judder in the cheaper lcds. I miss my old Panasonic G10 thx certified plasma.

If you are 10 feet or more away get a 75 and make sure it has at least a 240 refresh rate. Most of the 800 or 8000 series stuff has the faster refresh rate. My plasma was 600 htz refresh. The cheaper 120 htz refresh stuff just doesn't work for me.

Bb

Most of the problems with newer TVs is the built in motion control. It causes what is usually referred to as the soap opera effect. Some TVs are worse than others, and some people are more affected by it than others. For myself, I can't stand it and have to turn off whatever preset motion control the TV comes with.

https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-...ra-effect-in-tvs-and-how-to-turn-it-off/

And concerning refresh rates of new TVs:
https://www.cnet.com/news/ultra-hd-4k-tv-refresh-rates/
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: TV size - 06/15/20
Both Samsung.I would hold off until Black Frigay and try to snag an 80" or better. They will be discounted heavily this year.
Yes, size of TV and name of room. I'd go with this advice.
OK, homo.

[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Posted By: add Re: TV size - 06/15/20
[Linked Image from media.giphy.com]
Posted By: Burleyboy Re: TV size - 06/15/20

Bb

Most of the problems with newer TVs is the built in motion control. It causes what is usually referred to as the soap opera effect. Some TVs are worse than others, and some people are more affected by it than others. For myself, I can't stand it and have to turn off whatever preset motion control the TV comes with.

I have to turn off the soap opera effect too. I was told that it was put in to minimize the judder that drives me nuts with the slower refresh rates but the soap opera effect bugs me even more in it's own way.

My samsung is a 240 refresh and it bugged me a bit at first but I think I'm used to it now. I tried a higher end LG at first and I liked its pic but it broke in a few weeks.

For the theater in the basement I think I'm just going to do a 120 inch tensioned screen and a 4k projector. I had a 106" screen and a 1080p projector in my last house and movies were great on it. Playing call of duty was fun too until my vet friend had a panic attack. The 7 channels of RBH MC 616s and a sub was too much for him.

Bb
Posted By: CCCC Re: TV size - 06/15/20
Maybe end the dilemma by making the basement smaller.
Posted By: joken2 Re: TV size - 06/15/20

Bb

I have to turn off the soap opera effect too. I was told that it was put in to minimize the judder that drives me nuts with the slower refresh rates but the soap opera effect bugs me even more in it's own way.

My samsung is a 240 refresh and it bugged me a bit at first but I think I'm used to it now. I tried a higher end LG at first and I liked its pic but it broke in a few weeks.

For the theater in the basement I think I'm just going to do a 120 inch tensioned screen and a 4k projector. I had a 106" screen and a 1080p projector in my last house and movies were great on it. Playing call of duty was fun too until my vet friend had a panic attack. The 7 channels of RBH MC 616s and a sub was too much for him.

Bb

Our first two big screen flat panel TVs were mid priced LG brand, the first a LCD, the second a LED and neither lasted 4 years. Thankfully I bought 4 year extended warranties on both. The warranty on the first one paid for the second one, the warranty on the second one paid for our our current TV, a Samsung (bought extended warranty on the Samsung too).

Something I rarely ever see mentioned in threads about new TVs is manually fine tuning of internal controls to get the optimum picture. Most just do a auto tune and called it good enough.
Originally Posted by joken2

Bb

Bb

Our first two big screen flat panel TVs were mid priced LG brand, the first a LCD, the second a LED and neither lasted 4 years. Thankfully I bought 4 year extended warranties on both. The warranty on the first one paid for the second one, the warranty on the second one paid for our our current TV, a Samsung (bought extended warranty on the Samsung too).

Something I rarely ever see mentioned in threads about new TVs is manually fine tuning of internal controls to get the optimum picture. Most just do a auto tune and called it good enough.

Yeah, I play around with mine a bit, usually adjusting the warm level and contrast. My current TVs have several preset options like True Cinema and dark room and I toggle through them as well to see if I like one better than the other.

If your TV is listed on https://www.rtings.com , they usually have a settings page to explain how to adjust and what they used during their testing.

Here is one as an example, the review: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/b9-oled
and the calibration: https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/b9-oled/settings#page-top

Even if your TV is not listed, you can find a close model and see how to adjust most of the setting to your likes.
Posted By: srwshooter Re: TV size - 06/15/20
we went 10" smaller on our last tv and payed more than the big one cost to get a clearer picture.
Posted By: boatboy Re: TV size - 06/15/20
I just bought a 65 so cheap I cant believe the prices and it was an LG 4K not a wally world brand

Whatever you choose it will probably be a bargain

Hank
© 24hourcampfire