Home
Posted By: Paul_M RIP Aunt Jemima - 06/17/20
More PC madness, Quaker Oats to remove the Aunt Jemima image and change the name.
Mrs Butterworth better watch out.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/aunt-jemima-remove-image-packaging-110446245.html
Aunt Jemima to remove image from packaging and rename brand
[TODAY]
Samantha Kubota and Scott Stump
,TODAY•June 17, 2020

The breakfast brand Aunt Jemima is removing its logo and will be renamed, amid public outcry that the branding perpetuated a racist stereotype, its parent company said Wednesday.

Quaker Oats said in a statement that the longtime brand will remove the controversial image of Aunt Jemima from its line of maple syrups, pancake mixes and other foods starting at the end of 2020, and the name change will happen at a later date.

“We recognize Aunt Jemima’s origins are based on a racial stereotype," Kristin Kroepfl, vice president and chief marketing officer of Quaker Foods North America, said in a statement to NBC News. "While work has been done over the years to update the brand in a manner intended to be appropriate and respectful, we realize those changes are not enough.”

Dr. Riché Richardson, an associate professor of African American literature in the Africana Studies and Research Center at Cornell University, has been calling for the change since she wrote a 2015 editorial for The New York Times titled "Can We Please, Finally, Get Rid of 'Aunt Jemima?'"

"It's an image that hearkens back to the antebellum plantation," Richardson told Sheinelle Jones on TODAY Wednesday. "Aunt Jemima is that kind of stereotype that is premised on this idea of Black inferiority and otherness.

"It is urgent to expunge public spaces of a lot of these symbols that for some people are triggering and represent terror and abuse."

Quaker Oats, a subsidiary of PepsiCo, owns the Aunt Jemima brand, which has been around for more than 130 years. The logo features an image of a smiling Black woman that has been criticized for years for depicting a racist stereotype dating back to slavery. The company has made changes to soften the image over the years, including removing the character's kerchief.

“We acknowledge the brand has not progressed enough to appropriately reflect the confidence, warmth and dignity that we would like it to stand for today,” Kroepfl said. “We are starting by removing the image and changing the name. We will continue the conversation by gathering diverse perspectives from both our organization and the Black community to further evolve the brand and make it one everyone can be proud to have in their pantry.”

Pepsi also said the Aunt Jemima brand will donate $5 million to create "meaningful, ongoing support and engagement in the Black community."

The rebrand comes after “Aunt Jemima” became a trending topic on Twitter Tuesday, with many users criticizing the company for maintaining the name and logo for so long.
Posted By: javman Re: RIP Aunt Jemima - 06/17/20
[video:youtube][/video]
Posted By: The_Real_Hawkeye Re: RIP Aunt Jemima - 06/17/20
This is all too reminiscent of Mao's Cultural Revolution in China.
[video:youtube]https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=t7HHB3sDtfA[/video]
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: RIP Aunt Jemima - 06/17/20
They can't stand that she wasn't on welfare.
Apparently full editor isn't working right.
Originally Posted by javman
Apparently full editor isn't working right.

Posted By: gonehuntin Re: RIP Aunt Jemima - 06/17/20
Gone with the wind.....

Helluva job our Republican "conservatives" are doing in Washington D.C. right now - they haven't conserved jack or schitt. Fugg 'em all, I'd pay Putin $50 to nuke that schithole.
Posted By: simonkenton7 Re: RIP Aunt Jemima - 06/17/20
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

It is no stereotype, it is real life! When she was a struggling college student in Atlanta, Stacey Abrams posed as the model for this iconic billboard.
Obviously, the artist did not accurately portray the large gap between Ms. Abrams' front teeth.

AUNT JEMIMA FOR VICE PRESIDENT!!!
Posted By: Redneck Re: RIP Aunt Jemima - 06/17/20
More 'losing'.....
Posted By: 280shooter Re: RIP Aunt Jemima - 06/17/20
Will they eliminate all blacks from TV, movies, and advertising?
Posted By: Redneck Re: RIP Aunt Jemima - 06/17/20
Originally Posted by gonehuntin
Gone with the wind.....

Helluva job our Republican "conservatives" are doing in Washington D.C. right now - they haven't conserved jack or schitt. Fugg 'em all, I'd pay Putin $50 to nuke that schithole.
laugh
Posted By: duck911 Re: RIP Aunt Jemima - 06/17/20
I'm surprised a white, male republican senator from Arkansas is still allowed to be called Tom Cotton.
Posted By: Theeck Re: RIP Aunt Jemima - 06/17/20
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye

Not me. It reminds me of the early stages before the Russian Revolution.
Originally Posted by Theeck

Same demonic mindset underlies both periods.
Posted By: duck911 Re: RIP Aunt Jemima - 06/17/20
Uncle Ben's rice might be next on the chopping block:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/mars-inc-says-evaluating-changing-132338019.html
Posted By: Ken_L Re: RIP Aunt Jemima - 06/17/20
Uncle Ben and Chiquita Banana better be watching their backs!
Originally Posted by duck911
Uncle Ben's rice might be next on the chopping block:

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/mars-inc-says-evaluating-changing-132338019.html

Posted By: 22250rem Re: RIP Aunt Jemima - 06/17/20
Originally Posted by Theeck

And it reminds me of the stories I heard as a kid about the Nazi takeover of Germany...... Whatever it is it's a takeover of our society one way or the other.
Posted By: BALLISTIK Re: RIP Aunt Jemima - 06/17/20
After watching that video again, which is Great BTW, I thought about what CR said about MLK blvd. I know there were some in large cities of a handful of states, but HOLY FUC|< there are a hundred times more of them than I ever thought.

How many does your state have..?

Please forgive the bad link, for some reason the . at the end of the link keeps being removed during execution, so after clicking the link add a single period to the end of the URL and press Enter.

That's a LOT of real estate to stay away from.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: RIP Aunt Jemima - 06/17/20
Originally Posted by Ken_L
Uncle Ben and Chiquita Banana better be watching their backs!

Don't forget about Robin Hood ......... He was a white thief and that puts us poor white folk in a bad light.
Posted By: RockyRaab Re: RIP Aunt Jemima - 06/17/20
I think the most common stereotype of Blacks involves drug-dealing, wastrel, thieving, raping, and murdering men as well as welfare-cheating, coarse, shrill, and sexually loose women.

And I agree that things should radically change to get rid of those stereotypes. Blacks should begin by staying in school, getting jobs, getting married, stop committing crimes, and getting off welfare. It'd be a start.
Posted By: rong Re: RIP Aunt Jemima - 06/17/20
It would be a start,but until some "high profile black men" start condeming the culture it will never change.
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
I think the most common stereotype of Blacks involves drug-dealing, wastrel, thieving, raping, and murdering men as well as welfare-cheating, coarse, shrill, and sexually loose women.

And I agree that things should radically change to get rid of those stereotypes. Blacks should begin by staying in school, getting jobs, getting married, stop committing crimes, and getting off welfare. It'd be a start.

LOL. Well said. Funny, but true.
Posted By: 41rem Re: RIP Aunt Jemima - 06/17/20
Say it isn't so! Ol Aunt Jemima got me thru some hard times.....

Posted By: renegade50 Re: RIP Aunt Jemima - 06/17/20
This schitt is really getting ridiculous....

I got an idea....
Lets stop welfare as a way of life.
That offends the fugg outta me as a taxpayer....
Posted By: renegade50 Re: RIP Aunt Jemima - 06/17/20

Didnt read thru thread at 1st.
Rocky nailed it!!!
Posted By: greydog Re: RIP Aunt Jemima - 06/17/20
Any old sawmill workers will know the name of the mechanism which turned and oriented the log on the carriage prior to sawing and how it got the name. I supposed that name has been changed by now but I don't know what it may be called today. Perhaps it could be called the "African". I do recall an ad (I think it was in Lewiston, Idaho) offering, "for sale. Steam powered African-American". GD
Posted By: Rock Chuck Re: RIP Aunt Jemima - 06/17/20
amid public outcry that the branding perpetuated a racist stereotype
I wonder just how 'public' that outcry is. I'm betting that it's just a small group of radicals with big mouths.
Posted By: IndyCA35 Re: RIP Aunt Jemima - 06/17/20
Does this mean Negroes aren't allowed to have aunts and uncles? Some of them don't have fathers but this is ridiculous.
To become an open, unbiased society, we must all do away with that bigoted, racist concept of stereotyping. Unless you're portraying all white, male, conservatives, who support the constitution and the bill of rights as undesirable neanderthals..... That's acceptable in woke society because they're just asking for it, anyway. But don't take my word for it; just ask the governor of NY state. He'll explain it to you.
Posted By: Tyrone Re: RIP Aunt Jemima - 06/17/20
I fully support removing images of AAs from advertising. Now if they'd just remove them from all media including TV and movies.

I think he handled that very well!
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: RIP Aunt Jemima - 06/17/20
As a Company if you feel a brand is no longer going to be profitable as well be detrimental to your business and reputation you have a obligation to change, update or delete it. Or don't and see most likely your business bleed out.

Whatever the pressure be societal, governmental and or current morality structures dictate to maintaining a viable business model.

It would be stupid of PepsiCo to die on their own petard because they couldn't see the forest for the trees. Whew two idioms in one sentence.

Posted By: Ghostinthemachine Re: RIP Aunt Jemima - 06/17/20
Originally Posted by Tyrone
I fully support removing images of AAs from advertising. Now if they'd just remove them from all media including TV and movies.

I fully support deporting them all to Africa. Dead serious.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: RIP Aunt Jemima - 06/17/20
Originally Posted by 280shooter
Will they eliminate all blacks from TV, movies, and advertising?

No, blacks will disproportionately portray positions of power and authority henceforth.

Ex: Lawrence Fishburne in "Hannibal".
Posted By: chlinstructor Re: RIP Aunt Jemima - 06/17/20
Originally Posted by renegade50

Didnt read thru thread at 1st.
Rocky nailed it!!!

It’ll never happen. It’s all whitey’s fault, according to them.
Dey jus want dem Reparations.
Posted By: FatCity67 Re: RIP Aunt Jemima - 06/17/20
Originally Posted by Ghostinthemachine
Originally Posted by Tyrone

I fully support deporting them all to Africa. Dead serious.

That was actually a full fleshed out plan from Jefferson, Washington and some other Southern slave owning signers of the Constitution. Abolish slavery ASAP after ratifying Constitution then repatriate most back to Africa and Caribbean.
Posted By: Morewood Re: RIP Aunt Jemima - 06/17/20
Even pancake companies are stacked against us.
I would donate money to an organization that promoted that.
Posted By: Idaho_Shooter Re: RIP Aunt Jemima - 06/17/20

Careful Rocky,

Bill Cosby made those points a few years ago, and just look at what "they" did to him.
Posted By: las Re: RIP Aunt Jemima - 06/17/20
Maybe the new name wil be "Uncle Tom's sticky syrup"?
Posted By: rockinbbar Re: RIP Aunt Jemima - 06/17/20
Famous Amos Cookies next?
Posted By: AKduck Re: RIP Aunt Jemima - 06/17/20
Pepsi donating $5 million to black community. Basically being taxed so bad things don’t happen.
Posted By: kaywoodie Re: RIP Aunt Jemima - 06/17/20
Hell, she’s been retired for years! Lives up in Pennsylvania with this dude.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
The woke left has been trying to undo Trump's lowering of the black unemployment rate for some time now; especially in an election year. Looks like they are now succeeding; as even Aunt Jemima is now out of a job.
Posted By: NDsnowman Re: RIP Aunt Jemima - 06/17/20
Maybe they should replace her with a white woman? That should go over well.
Posted By: SuperCub Re: RIP Aunt Jemima - 06/17/20
Originally Posted by Morewood
Even pancake companies are stacked against us.

.......... Groan
Posted By: slumlord Re: RIP Aunt Jemima - 06/17/20
That crap is just brown corn syrup anyway. Bye!!!
Posted By: BigDave39355 Re: RIP Aunt Jemima - 06/17/20
When they going to make Cracker Barrel change names?

Call it the The Old Folks Eating Place.
Posted By: flintlocke Re: RIP Aunt Jemima - 06/17/20
Oh oops, the "woke" Quaker Oats people in their rush to kiss ass, forgot to check it out. According to Rush today, Aunt Jemima was the stage name of an actual woman born into slavery, who had considerable success as a professional on stage story teller. Successful at that and also as a cook, she came to be highly regarded personally by the Charles Walker family of Chicago, Quaker Oats fortune, and Nancy Green, AKA, Aunt Jemima was signed to a lengthy contract with his company. Financially successful she went on to become an active organizer in poverty programs for people in Chicago. Never let the facts get in the way of a good "woke" story.
Posted By: slumlord Re: RIP Aunt Jemima - 06/17/20
What about mrs Buttaworfs ?

She got a fat ass
Posted By: 280shooter Re: RIP Aunt Jemima - 06/18/20
Originally Posted by slumlord
What about mrs Buttaworfs ?

She got a fat ass

But whatever chemical they add for the butter flavor tastes good. Maybe a Kardashian can replace her?
© 24hourcampfire